David Sea "Angel"

Was listenin' to this nice choon on youtube. The version on Hy Tide. I've got the T-Jaye version at home, that came out in the same year (1982). Seems to me slighlty different arrangement, ins't it? Can anybody tell me something more 'bout the relations of the two issues? (one private, one national...something like that?) Really nice tune indeed, didn't remember till I had a listen today. Thanks 

Social source share

1 hour ago, EnricoACM1899 said:

Was listenin' to this nice choon on youtube. The version on Hy Tide. I've got the T-Jaye version at home, that came out in the same year (1982). Seems to me slighlty different arrangement, ins't it? Can anybody tell me something more 'bout the relations of the two issues? (one private, one national...something like that?) Really nice tune indeed, didn't remember till I had a listen today. Thanks 

T- Jaye- Angel- Part 2 is the side i play out better for dancing inho

Without lookin' i think Ted Jarrett arranged on Teds own label which i would class as a private label

So the T-jaye issue would be a re-mix in my opinion 

Atb Kev :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones
42 minutes ago, John Reed said:

I think its a similar story with Carl Sims Seventeen Days of Loving ten a penny on Edge, but probably £200-300 on the local Labro release.

Hello John, hope all's well for you mate.  I wasn't aware of the Carl Sims release on another label [only got the Edge label one] but, if I'm honest,haven't listened to it since it came out. Probably sounds quite awkward as a lot of those mid to late 80s releases tend to these days,i'll have to give it a listen again when I get a chance. Dont remember the song being that clever and I reckon you'd struggle to get much for it local label or not. Maybe find rich deaf person ? Theres plenty of those around looking at the prices of some stuff eh !

Absolutely adore the David Sea track though. I think Hy-Tide is the original release, T-Jaye could hear a winner and licensed it for release. Thats how understand it anyway. Theres no difference at all recording wise between the Hy-Tide and T-Jaye releases, not to my ears anyway. You normally see the Hy-Tide release for around £100,it doesn't show up often though. Possibly the greatest little label Soul record of the 1980s, its certainly a strong contender. One to play to anyone who thinks that Soul music stopped in the 60s or 70,s, brilliant is an overused word but in this case totally justified…..

See you soon hopefully,

Ivor

Social source share

The Hy-tide release is from Alabama. The record was then picked up for release on Ted Jarrets  T- Jaye set up which was in Nashville. The Hy- tide copies were hard to come by throughout the eighties and early nineties, however a few more seem to have surfaced in recent years. Lovely piece of music which ever way you own it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!