U.k. Label Pronounciation Help Please

Godzilla

So I had lunch today with a mate of mine who's into the reggae / skinhead side of things as well as soul and R&B. I'd done him a CD comp and which included The Beas on Pama. Thing is we both pronounce it differently, Pama that is.

He's from Somerset and I'm originally from Manchester just to complicate things further. We need a definintive answer, so:

Is it pronounced "Pamma" (as in Gamma, Mama, err... Rama Lama Ding Dong) or is it " Parma" ( as in calmer, Llama, Jeffrey Dharma)?

What does the team think?

Godz

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

So I had lunch today with a mate of mine who's into the reggae / skinhead side of things as well as soul and R&B. I'd done him a CD comp and which included The Beas on Pama. Thing is we both pronounce it differently, Pama that is.

He's from Somerset and I'm originally from Manchester just to complicate things further. We need a definintive answer, so:

Is it pronounced "Pamma" (as in Gamma, Mama, err... Rama Lama Ding Dong) or is it " Parma" ( as in calmer, Llama, Jeffrey Dharma)?

What does the team think?

Godz

It was owned by the Palmer brothers so I would guess that it is pronounced Palmer :lol:

Social source share

It was owned by the Palmer brothers so I would guess that it is pronounced Palmer :lol:

Yippee! I'm right!!

I should have also had a bet with him that you'd be the first to answer this question. We agreed you'd know and the fact that you're from the Midlands makes you just about impartial :D

Cheers Pete.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

or is it " Parma"

No Godz, that's a city in North-West Italy. Good place for cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano), and ham (the famous Parma ham)...

Nothing to do with Jamaican labels...

Roccia

This is the result of a boring afternoon in the shop...

Social source share

there could be a case for pronouncing it 'paymer'.

consonant+dipthong+consonant+schwa

according to english pronunciation rules (cough, cough), a double consonant usually indicates a short preceding vowel eg gamma...

macca

roccia:

have you ever tried spanish jam³n iberico de bellota?

you wouldn't buy parma ham again. oh' god, what have I said!?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

And nobody would pronounce it Pamma in Harrow or Jamaica (I'd guess). There was a Jamaican Pama from the late 50s, they may have pinched the name or been involved in it. Never heard anyone ever call it Pamma.

macca, you're barking son. "Paymer"? :boxing: Agree with you about the ham though :D

Social source share

according to english pronunciation rules (cough, cough), a double consonant usually indicates a short preceding vowel eg gamma...

macca

You're just talking shiyte now surely :lol:

Godz

Social source share

You're just talking shiyte now surely :D

Godz

where i come from we pronounce it -paaaaaarma as in faaaaaarmer...but i am a carrot crunching tw*t from Northamptonshire :lol:

Social source share

no, I'm being deadly serious. ask any linguistics boff. barking? two stops short of dagenham, innit?

District line seem to remember, from my old West Ham days...

Social source share

macca

roccia:

have you ever tried spanish jam³n iberico de bellota?

you wouldn't buy parma ham again. oh' god, what have I said!?

Never tried this Bellota, Macca, but it cant beat the "Cinta Senese" ham. Particular pork breed selected in Siena area. Only 100 animals butchered every year. Their ham costs 13 euros per 100 grams...

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Never tried this Bellota, Macca, but it cant beat the "Cinta Senese" ham. Particular pork breed selected in Siena area. Only 100 animals butchered every year. Their ham costs 13 euros per 100 grams...

Went to a ham themed bar in Madrid once. Rather nice to have a beer and some proper ham. Why can't we have places like that?

Social source share

How about starting up a "rare Ham Forum" - Northern Ham is best of course - York's famous for it (you have to be careful though - there are some dodgy ham merchants who sell York ham that's not actually from York & the like. Pressed ham, it's called). :wicked:

Social source share

Went to a ham themed bar in Madrid once. Rather nice to have a beer and some proper ham. Why can't we have places like that?

Stuart, if you like that kind of places, you should try Tuscany...

Social source share

Stuart, if you like that kind of places, you should try Tuscany...

Hey Big Daddy Roccia ...

Never mind all this talk of ham ..... what's the name of the wonderful after dinner drink we had when I was with you in Pisa ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hey Big Daddy Roccia ...

Never mind all this talk of ham ..... what's the name of the wonderful after dinner drink we had when I was with you in Pisa ?

Malc Burton

I think you're talking about LIMONCELLO, malc...

Social source share

I think you're talking about LIMONCELLO, malc...

Sounds like it to me ..... a top drink :wicked:

Barbara & Inge hav told me that they will be with you next month ..... are you ready for visiting Yorkshire ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Sounds like it to me ..... a top drink :wicked:

Barbara & Inge hav told me that they will be with you next month ..... are you ready for visiting Yorkshire ?

Malc Burton

Malc, if you can find good quality lemons, you can make it homemade. I'll ask me mum, she makes limoncello.

Yes we're ready for Yorkshire on Friday, and Dorset on Saturday...

Social source share

Malc, if you can find good quality lemons, you can make it homemade. I'll ask me mum, she makes limoncello.

I await the recipe from your mum ....

Looking forward to meeting up at The Ritz with you on the Friday ; I will be a bit knacked as I will have only just got back from Belgium at lunchtime .

What happened to the LTSC anniversary CD ? are you bringing it with you ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Looking forward to meeting up at The Ritz with you on the Friday ; I will be a bit knacked as I will have only just got back from Belgium at lunchtime .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Malc Burton

Social source share

limoncello.

We had that in Rimini last year.. after our meal they left a bottle on the table for us to help ourselves..

rude not to.. was we ment to do the whole bottle!!!! there was 4 of us after all..

I to await the recipe...

Roccia hope your well mate..

You doing Prestatyn?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert