Herman Lewis-Who's kissing you tonight

On tim browns auction he had the Mercury copy,and he noted that Herman lewis WASNT Herman Griffin? I thought he was?

ive had the stone blue issue in the past,seen a few issues and a few white demos too,but the Mercury issue rarely surfaces! 

either way a gem of a record!

Social source share

Just now, Wheelsville1 said:

Herman Lewis Griffin was Herman Griffins full name. Tim Brown was wrong. Chris.

I thought as much Chris,I’m sure it was Andy Rix who told me that Herman Lewis is Herman Griffin,but I didn’t know his middle name was Lewis...good shout pal!

Social source share

Herman lived and recorded in Cincinnati. He was still living there recently so I was able to become the proud owner of one of his Stone Blue issues via a third party. This was after Andy had met him.

I had the chance to buy one of Herman’s Mercury copies but I passed on it, something I’ve had cause to regret. Herman was selling part of his record collection so I was lucky enough to acquire his blue issue of Connie Austin on King.

Social source share

17 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Thanks for all the feedback,its much appreciated.Hopefully dealers etc from now on will stop refering to it as a detroit recording. Chris. 

But they will not .. I've been saying it for 20 years and am ignored ... I report fact not theory but that still isn't good enough .. never mind

Andy 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Andy Rix said:

But they will not .. I've been saying it for 20 years and am ignored ... I report fact not theory but that still isn't good enough .. never mind

Andy 

You can but try Andy,Gilly had the same when he originally told people that the Magnetics on Bonnie were the Volumes. Chris. 

Social source share

Stone Blue was run by Herman and Gordon Neal, both lived in Cincinnati. The attached article from October 14 1968 has the details. Note that Andrea Henry and Dianne (Diane) Lewis were supposed to record with them. The Elders, a Dayton rock band, did record an LP there.

When I called Gordon around 1991, he answered the phone 'Stone Blue Music'! Sadly, he has also passed away. 

stone blue 10-14-68 dayton.jpg

Social source share

2 hours ago, George G said:

Stone Blue was run by Herman and Gordon Neal, both lived in Cincinnati. The attached article from October 14 1968 has the details. Note that Andrea Henry and Dianne (Diane) Lewis were supposed to record with them. The Elders, a Dayton rock band, did record an LP there.

When I called Gordon around 1991, he answered the phone 'Stone Blue Music'! Sadly, he has also passed away. 

stone blue 10-14-68 dayton.jpg

Herman and Gordon had the Prime label and Dale Warren massively involved

Shirtails.jpg

Social source share

53 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Herman and Gordon had the Prime label and Dale Warren massively involved

Gordon was more of a rock producer. He sent tapes to Dale Warren for overdubs, at least he did on this record. Even though what I say contradicts what I wrote on the Buckeye Beat website link above, I don't think Herman had much to do with Prime records, after further investigation. But I'm glad to have anyone provide more info since these guys are all deceased.

selectlabel.jpeg

Edited by George G
wrong info
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!