Dream Girls/supremes

kevinsoulman

unsure.gif did any one see the sunday mail story on the dream girls film they interviewed florence ballards sister.apparantly she only received a one off payment from motown and forfieted all rights to future royalties i was under the impression motown/d ross set up a trust fund for her kids flo had the best voice in the group imo. think the story is on the mail on sunday website

kev

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Did Flo ever sing lead on a Supremes record?.....feel sure I read somewhere that Berry Gordy always insisted Diana was up front in the studio....Mary might have had a go, as apparently she and Diana were very competitive....but Flo?.....TONE?...Anybody?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Did Flo ever sing lead on a Supremes record?.....feel sure I read somewhere that Berry Gordy always insisted Diana was up front in the studio....Mary might have had a go, as apparently she and Diana were very competitive....but Flo?.....TONE?...Anybody?

Florence sings lead on the early single "Buttered Popcorn", and also on "(Ain't That) Good News" from the "We Rememeber Sam Cooke" album. Think there might be a couple of other tracks too, specifically one or two things that went unissued at the time but have since come out on Motown or Hip-O CDs.

TONE

Social source share

Florence sings lead on the early single "Buttered Popcorn", and also on "(Ain't That) Good News" from the "We Rememeber Sam Cooke" album. Think there might be a couple of other tracks too, specifically one or two things that went unissued at the time but have since come out on Motown or Hip-O CDs.

TONE

"Buttered Popcorn" is alright but....(whispers) Flo actually wasn't the best singer in the Supremes.

Her unreleased ABC album was a bit legendary for years, then got issued on CD and it all went a bit :ohmy:

Berry Gordy's a businessman...he knew what he was doing with Diana! :wicked:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Buttered Popcorn" is alright but....(whispers) Flo actually wasn't the best singer in the Supremes.

Her unreleased ABC album was a bit legendary for years, then got issued on CD and it all went a bit :ohmy:

Berry Gordy's a businessman...he knew what he was doing with Diana! :wicked:

Totally agree with you, Si - the Spectrum CD doesn't just explode that urban myth, it totally nukes it.

I am not a fan of Diana Ross the person - not in any way, in fact - but for the type of records they made with HDH, Diana Ross was both the ideal and best singer in the Supremes. Tracks like "Come See About Me", "My World Is Empty Without You" and "Nothing But Heartaches" are simply unbeatable. Neither Florence nor Mary could have nailed these the way 'Miss Ross' did.

Regardless of their personal relationship, Berry Gordy was 100% right to put Diana out front from a professional point of view. The Supremes would have been 'just another girl group' without her on lead, even with HDH's brillant songs at their disposal.

TONE

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Have to agree with Diana Ross as lead too. Although I think Flo was a good singer, the material was definitely designed for someone like DR. The bounce-along melodies ceated by H-D-H seem almost designed for her particular style. The same could be said about Levi Stubbs I think too. H-D-H undoubtably crafted their songs with particular voices in mind. I think the resulting success the Supremes enjoyed validates, in itself, Gordy's decision.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Have to agree with Diana Ross as lead too. Although I think Flo was a good singer, the material was definitely designed for someone like DR. The bounce-along melodies ceated by H-D-H seem almost designed for her particular style. The same could be said about Levi Stubbs I think too. H-D-H undoubtably crafted their songs with particular voices in mind. I think the resulting success the Supremes enjoyed validates, in itself, Gordy's decision.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Shagging the boss seems to help as well at times :ohmy::wicked::lol:

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Flo also sang on SILENT NIGHT, an unreleased track on the 20th Century Masters Christmas compilation. Also, she is featured on PEOPLE off of The Supremes Box Set issued in 2000. I will have to check my Box Set to see if anymore.

I seem to remember some others on The Supremes' first LP, MEET THE SUPREMES, but lost the CD since and can't remember which ones. :wicked:

Mary has sang lead as well; CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF OF YOU is one of them. There are two versions, both available on JOINED TOGETHER: THE COMPLETE SESSIONS (Diana Ross and the Supremes with The Temptations).

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Flo also sang on SILENT NIGHT, an unreleased track on the 20th Century Masters Christmas compilation. Also, she is featured on PEOPLE off of The Supremes Box Set issued in 2000. I will have to check my Box Set to see if anymore.

I seem to remember some others on The Supremes' first LP, MEET THE SUPREMES, but lost the CD since and can't remember which ones. :thumbsup:

Mary has sang lead as well; CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF OF YOU is one of them. There are two versions, both available on JOINED TOGETHER: THE COMPLETE SESSIONS (Diana Ross and the Supremes with The Temptations).

Mary also, of course, shared several leads on the post-Diana Supremes hits, "Floy Joy" and "Automatically Sunshine" being two that immediately spring to mind. Neither Mary nor Florence sing lead on any of the "Meet The Supremes"-era tracks, other than the previously mentioned "Buttered Popcorn".

And the best lead singer the Supremes ever had? Scherrie Payne, undoubtedly yes.gif

TONE

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well Diana Ross was suited and you could tell she would go solo and make it. but someone said Holland dozier and holland doing songs that could crafted to Levi Stubbs or Diana Ross however it's funny that The Supremes did cover a lot of Four Tops main hits and did them almost as good, wonder how the Four tops would have sounded doing some of the big supremes songs

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Mary also, of course, shared several leads on the post-Diana Supremes hits, "Floy Joy" and "Automatically Sunshine" being two that immediately spring to mind. Neither Mary nor Florence sing lead on any of the "Meet The Supremes"-era tracks, other than the previously mentioned "Buttered Popcorn".

And the best lead singer the Supremes ever had? Scherrie Payne, undoubtedly yes.gif

TONE

Scherrie...yes she can definitely, as we say here, blow! :yes:

Didn't Mary sing lead on TOUCH as well?

And thanks for refreshing my memory on MEET THE SUPREMES...I thought there were more...might be thinking of something else.

well Diana Ross was suited and you could tell she would go solo and make it. but someone said Holland dozier and holland doing songs that could crafted to Levi Stubbs or Diana Ross however it's funny that The Supremes did cover a lot of Four Tops main hits and did them almost as good, wonder how the Four tops would have sounded doing some of the big supremes songs

I also thought I either heard or read that HDH tailor-made many of the Supremes tracks to fit Diana Ross' voice and range?

Social source share

Guest Lady Maverick

Came across this track on You tube. Sounds good to me.

I have this track on the Spectrum UK CD, THE SUPREME FLORENCE BALLARD...also included are 'Hey Baby' & 'Heavenly Father'.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert