Hole off-centre

Denbo

Hi Dave

I've found that if you place the record somewhere in the centre of the deck and start spinning it you can see the position of the intro groove, you can reposition the record slightly so that it spins equally, it's a ball ache I know but with a little practice it works 

Cheers Dave 

Ive

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Sorry should go to Denbo Hi Dave

I've found that if you place the record somewhere in the centre of the deck and start spinning it you can see the position of the intro groove, you can reposition the record slightly so that it spins equally, it's a ball ache I know but with a little practice it works 

Cheers Dave 

Ive

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Simplest way :-

Place a record mat on the turntable.

Put a UK 45 with a solid centre on the deck then drawer a line in felt tip pen around the circumference  of the record.

Place your off centre record so the edges align with the line on your mat.

Job done, works every time.

JF  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Put the record on the turntable using a centre piece. Take it out.  Then put the record arm above the record ready to cue down onto the record, but don't drop it. Look down above the arm and spin the record slowly by hand. You can them move the record grooves onto centre, using the record arm as an eye guide. It works for me.

Edited by Solidsoul
Social source share

I use adaptors made from the plastic tri-leg centres. I file the hole out larger to be able to move the record into the correct position to play properly (similar to the video above). I then drill out another piece of plastic and glue into position to make the hole “normal’ size again (see pics below)I then just leave the centre in for ease of use. You need to make sure you place the centre in with the legs in the same place while you’re enlarging the hole for ease and finding the correct play position. A bit of a faff, but once it’s done, it’s done.

D7F7EC30-8BD1-4EF5-B073-9572E18A5D63.jpeg

04356793-A1F6-4110-8377-86F50320CC30.jpeg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get A Record adaptor  ( best if it is not one of the more brittle tri centres in my experience for this particular method , as my experience was that the paper hole punch would not go through these . of course , a drill could also be used . ) and using a paper hole punch, take a chunk out of one of the sides of the centre hole , put the adaptor in the disc , push the spindle into the extra space in the centre hole , and line up and adjust  record adaptor  to counterbalance  the off centre  disc .

Edited by Carty
added more detail
Social source share

Many years ago off-center records were available at a tiny fraction of their value. Most collectors didn't have a clue about how to fix it.

I bought quite a few off-center records back then. Here's what I did:

As already been said before easiest way is using cardboard and cutting it out. Once you have that piece of cardboard ready, put it in the record hole in the correct position and fix it on the flipside using the adhesive part of post-it notes. use many of them to really fix the cardboard. You can also use sellotape but using post-it notes the label on the flipside won't be damaged.

Edited by Benji
Social source share

On 27/10/2022 at 11:50, Patrick said:

I have been using "Echotone Adapters" (See on facebook) for years. Once centred with one of their adapters you are sorted. Being a mainly Jamaican collector having these is essential. I would highly recommend them. 

Can you still buy these Patrick? If so, where from?
Also, do they come in a pack for use depending on how many millimetres a record is off-centre?

Social source share

On 27/10/2022 at 11:50, Patrick said:

I have been using "Echotone Adapters" (See on facebook) for years. Once centred with one of their adapters you are sorted. Being a mainly Jamaican collector having these is essential. I would highly recommend them. 

Do you have one spare that I could buy or even borrow until I can find one / a set second hand?

Edited by Denbo
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!