Mush

Quinvy

22 minutes ago, Mush said:

And your point is mush???

Maybe it was just about putting it out there to people who have never seen or heard about Northern Soul, did that cross your mind while you were practising your moves in your bedroom for Saturday night?

Totally agree mush

Why are you calling everyone mush, Mush?

Social source share

11 hours ago, Mush said:

Because i always have, shit with names, hense why everyone calls me mush, it's a Southampton thing, my son is a school teacher, 29 in 3 days, I know his name because I named him, been called mush all his life

It’s a Welsh thing actually so it must have spread to Southampton. When you don’t know someone’s name, you called them Mush. But when you do know their name, it’s best to address them by it.

A bit off topic so I’ll return to the Prom that seems to have so many agitated. I don’t think it was too commercial of the BBC to air it - they have to deal with culture of all descriptions so they handled it well. Yes, a bunch of folk got dressed up in special  NS t-shirts for the occasion - well that’s their prerogative.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Mush said:

Welsh my arse, in the city centre in Saints colours!

Saints chair.jpg

Nice one Mush or Arnold or whatever your name is.

When I went to school in Swansea in 1969, the lads were calling each other Mush. In fact, my brother in Swansea still calls me Mush.

Rumour has it that one snowy night back in the early 1900’s, a husky dog team left Cardiff for Swansea but the dog-sledge driver shouted mush, mush, mush so much they ended up in Southampton...true story boyo...

Social source share

Mush

A term that is used to greet others mostly in the south coast of England, UK. It’s mostly said by local people in the city of Southampton and the surrounding areas up to Portsmouth and Bournemouth.

Alex-“hey Tom! You alright there mush?”
Tom-“I’m alright mush!”

Urban dictionary, where is your proof mush? Next you'll be claiming the first man to walk on the moon was Welsh!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Mush is pronounced 'Moosh' and means mate or friend. You can expect to hear it around the city. It can be traced back to the old Romany word meaning 'my good friend'.

or

This is a local Southampton colloquialism although sometimes borrowed by other areas of the UK as well as claims emanating from the Romany language. Some historians relate the friendly term deriving from the Middle Ages when French ships docked at the port with the word 'Monsieur' abbreviated to 'Mush'.25 Oct 2022

Social source share

2 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Nice one Mush or Arnold or whatever your name is.

When I went to school in Swansea in 1969, the lads were calling each other Mush. In fact, my brother in Swansea still calls me Mush.

Rumour has it that one snowy night back in the early 1900’s, a husky dog team left Cardiff for Swansea but the dog-sledge driver shouted mush, mush, mush so much they ended up in Southampton...true story boyo...

My name is Colin but feel free to call me mush, everyone else does, is that the same story as the Welsh man saying those boots are nice shoes?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!