Oak Records UK & R G Jones Studio facts about the acts

Roburt

Not really soul -- UK R&B group / beat group related though.

R G Jones studios in Morden & then Wimbledon cut lots of stuff in the 60's, 70's and even later (D-_influence, etc.).  Though R G Jones acetates crop up at times on Evilbay and the like  and you can even get hold of some of the outfit's Oak Records 45's and EP's, it still seems to be shrouded in some mystery.

Has a full list of 'R&B related acts' RG Jones acetates & Oak Records releases ever been compiled ?? With their 'releases' only ever being made available as one-offs or as pressing runs of 99 copies, tracking down facts as to who many of the acts involved even were is hard (even more so, who were the members of the groups involved).

Of course a few are well known to record collectors; Chris Farlowe, the Bo Street Runners, the Rats (from Hull, with Mick Ronson being a member). But others remain a complete mystery to me ... the Joybelles cut gospel tracks but seems much closer related to the Sally Army than to the Winans. What's the Chester Harriot 7 like (chef Ainsley Harriot named his 1st kid Chester Harriot; was the recording guy a relative of his ), was the Ray North Trio's "Blues in Three" a jazz or blues track ? Who were the Five of Diamonds, The A-jaes, the Wild Oats & the Thyrds for instance ?

Anyone here shed much light on this subject ? The company (R.G Jones) is still a going concern, anyone approached them to see what documents, details from those times are still known ? 

OakRecsMont.jpg

Rats45Hull.jpg

RGJonesStdio2.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Their recording studio was closed as recently as 2001; so I guess some who still work for the company would have knowledge of it ... 

MORE INFO here ... RG Jones Sound Engineering - Wikipedia >>   //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG_Jones_Sound_Engineering

RGJones2001.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

There were a couple of compilations released last year;

17 FROM MORDEN – A Path Through The Forest Of OAK Records 1964 – 1967

From Morden to Wimbledon A Trip Through the Forest Of OAK Records 1967 – 1970

I'll dig them out and see if I can post the liner notes.

Sold a copy of the A-Jaes last year but no nothing about the band

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Steve at Rolling Records in West Wickham (Kent) -  think Mick smith knows him well - had a mate who sometimes worked behind the counter who was a former studio musician (if i’ve got that right) at Oak… really interesting label.

Edited by Corbett80
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!