Doris Troy 'I'll Do Anything' + flips UK versus USA

Go to solution Solved by The Yank,

Something that somehow always eluded me about these sessions of hers ;  Doris Troy adulated status in the UK from 1963 onward allowed her to record in the UK by mid 1965. Giving 'you'd better stop' backed with the British band Fleur De Lys for Atlantic UK.

The initial 'A' side of that single released in June 1965 'Heartaches' never sounded that much of a UK recording to me. Anyone knows for fact if this was a UK recording ? It also received a USA release on the flip of her Calla 45 from May 1966... Almost a year later.

Apparently her UK Cameo-Parkway of 'I'll Do Anything' was released as soon as February 1966. Meaning that if that is the case then it was released one month before its USA Calla half counterpart. Half counterpart since both presses got totally different flip-sides.

Both these UK and USA contemporary releases of 'I'll Do Anything' also do bear different Publishing Companies too. And the UK release got her fabulous 'But I Love Him' as 'B' side. A tune that sounds like a USA recording to me. Is that so ? Remaining unreleased Stateside.

Oddly the Music Publishings don't match on both UK and USA releases of 'Heartaches' and 'I'll Do Anything'. Why is that ? Leaving no leads there without access to the Publishing books. Plus the promo UK Cameo-Parkway bears 'Block Buster' & 'Premier' while the stocker 'Mecolico'...

All rather misleading for someone like me without better insight of that close tied UK / USA Doris connection. That hopefully some on here could explain for being such a "basic" classic from the first hour. So any help in this query or insights on these 3 great sides of her are most welcome.

Social source share

• Solution

"Heartaches" was recorded in London and was written by Doris and Englishman Tommy Sanderson. 

"But I Love Him"  is said to have been recorded in 1963 for Atlantic and was unreleased. Since "Heartaches" had already been issued in the U.K. on Atlantic, Cameo-Parkway U.K. decided to use "But I Love Him " as the flip side.

All of this information is from the liner notes to the Ace/Kent CD "I'll Do Anything- The Doris Troy 

Anthology 1960 -1966". 

Edited by The Yank
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, The Yank said:

"Heartaches" was recorded in London and was written by Doris and Englishman Tommy Sanderson. 

"But I Love Him"  is said to have been recorded in 1963 for Atlantic and was unreleased. Since "Heartaches" had already been issued in the U.K. on Atlantic, Cameo-Parkway U.K. decided to use "But I Love Him " as the flip side.

All of this information is from the liner notes to the Ace/Kent CD "I'll Do Anything- The Doris Troy 

Anthology 1960 -1966". 

That sorts that out. Great job thanks. Well for a British recording 'heartaches' sounds rather convincing.

Now remains the question as to why releasing 'I'll Do Anything' first in the UK 2 months prior than in the USA.

With the Publishing Rights changes from the UK promo (same as the Calla) to the 'stocker' release. Anyone ?

First release on UK Atlantic Tommy Sanderson (T.S. Music) & 'Premier' on USA Calla.

Capturedcran2024-02-1211_38_15.thumb.png.7b6d0d19312a8dc1eefca5bbc74df392.png

Would Kenny Gamble cheat on that ? Or would he have been "fooled" by Doris herself ?

Then UK Cameo-Parkway promo 'BLOCK BUSTER' & UK stocker 'MECOLICO'... Why ?

Capturedcran2024-02-1211_40_17.thumb.png.4ab540ea69d0fd858a980e87fc717e11.png

The USA Calla side of 'Ill Do Anything' also credits 'Block Buster' for copyright Publisher.

Flips of the UK's the promo bares the USA 'Premier' Publishing Co. but not the stocker..

Capturedcran2024-02-1211_40_55.thumb.png.e64c6d981e3314a00fd1499f75179993.png

FWIW that 'MECOLICO' publishing "company" if ever pops up as some old, troublesome or 'deleted' M.C.P.S. subsidiary... Smells 'fishy'.  Licence deal issues maybe ? Or what ?

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Now on trying to double check the UK Cameo-Parkway date of release for Doris Troy on its supposed date of release of February 1966 it could actually be subjected to revision. The maybe fooling stamp featured on the promo here could be misleading to set it's real date of release by late 1966 more likely.

As Jarry Jackson's previous release on UK Cameo-Parkway 100 was seemingly released in October 1966 and the following catalog number Terry Knight & the Pack on UK Cameo-Parkway 102 by January 1967. Leaving us to consider Doris Troy's UK Cameo-Parkway 101 between October 1966 and January 1967.

Meaning that the USA Calla predates the UK release by more than 6 months. Fixing that oddity factor. Leaving the Publishing Copyrights changes between the promo and UK stocker less relevant to this quest if ever. Still begging the question as to why the Kenny Gamble credits for 'Heartaches' on Calla then.

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

17 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Dee Dee cut the original version which is okay but doesn't compare to Doris Troy's version. Doris said she came in and sang over the tracks and changed the lyrics a bit and ended up getting co-writer's credits.

Interesting. So could the Calla release of Doris be some sort of 'rush' release ? With no material to toss on the flip Doris unearthed her previous UK recording 'heartaches' to which she had some rights as co-composer and tossed it on the Calla flip without the necessary scrutiny for the arrangement and production credits there...

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

14 minutes ago, The Yank said:

Dee Dee cut the original version which is okay but doesn't compare to Doris Troy's version. Doris said she came 

in and sang over the tracks and changed the lyrics a bit and ended up getting co-writer's credits.

Doris Troy is one of my favorite songs. I wasn't aware of the Dee Dee Sharp version so thanks @The Yank and @Simon T.

Was the Dee Dee version ever issued on vinyl - either at the time or subsequently?

Thanks

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!