Buster and Eddie - Can't Be Still

Which is the rarest variant on this one? 

Tim Brown always quotes the white demo is the rarest variant (as I recall) on his sales/auctions, but looking at popsike and discogs history/sales may suggest otherwise. 

There are auction details of white demo's/red bootlegs on popsike and also red bootlegs on discogs but not too many on scarlett issues.

In addition TB is touting the other side, "There I Was" which was done by Googie Rene three releases earlier but with different credits!!

IMG_20240329_210226.thumb.jpg.c6ca4467cad826d182cb4783d4d61fa6.jpg

Any thoughts/info appreciated 🙂

Regards 

Edited by Theothertosspot
Photo added
Social source share

I too believe the original pink issue to be rarer than the white promo. But for the fools the white promo was the safe 'bet' to put one's money on if one couldn't tell appart the pink stocker from the red reissue.

As for the better 'there I was' side (not found of 'can't be still') although different I still prefer Goggie's version. Am talking only subjectively here from the soul side more than the dee-jay or 'dancer' side of things.

About the composer's credits Rafael Leon René, alias Googie, Vikki Jeanine (statement ?) they're all one and the same 'man'. So if on Googie René's 'there' I was' it states 'Rafael René' and 'Jeanne Vikki' on Buster and Eddie it's just a swap of aliases being one and the same person. Mind you that the Class label was his father's...

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

I too believe the original 'scarlet' issue to be rarer than the white promo. But for the fools the white promo was the safe 'bet' to put one's money on if one couldn't tell appart the stocker from the reissue / bootleg.

As for the better 'there I was' side (not found of 'can't be still') although different I still prefer Goggie's version. Am talking only subjectively here from the soul side more than the dee-jay or 'dancer' side of things.

About the composer's credits Rafael Leon René, alias Googie, Vikki Jeanine (statement ?) they're all one and the same 'man'. So if on Googie René's 'there' I was' it states 'Rafael René' and 'Jeanne Vikki' on Buster and Eddie it's just a swap of aliases being one and the same person. Mind you that Class label was his own too...

I thought that the scarlet issues were 1970s re-issues where as the original issues are a deep pink colour as the photo above. Just looked at my pink issue (same as photo) & it has a delta number of 61050 putting it firmly in 1966. I was told that the red (scarlet) issues were pressed using the same stampers - Does this mean they still have a 61050 delta number even though they were pressed in 76/77 ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

OK to be more less ambiguous the RED label with 'smaller' typos is the seventies repress.

AND the PINK / MAUVE label with the regular (mid sixties Class) larger typos are originals.

Capturedcran2024-03-3012_06_02.thumb.png.2ca480722a5e0a0aa4bd761788dd07e3.png Capturedcran2024-03-3012_05_50.thumb.png.c2ab589fa9360ee066f719377084ed54.png

Thanks mate - That's what I thought. Wasn't sure if I was missing something.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Merve said:

I thought that the scarlet issues were 1970s re-issues where as the original issues are a deep pink colour as the photo above. Just looked at my pink issue (same as photo) & it has a delta number of 61050 putting it firmly in 1966. I was told that the red (scarlet) issues were pressed using the same stampers - Does this mean they still have a 61050 delta number even though they were pressed in 76/77 ?

You can also see the ∆61050 in the photo I attached above.

Yes it is a deep pink although I did say scarlet.

Edited by Theothertosspot
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Theothertosspot said:

Tim Brown always quotes the white demo is the rarest variant (as I recall) on his sales/auctions, but looking at popsike and discogs history/sales may suggest otherwise. 

There are auction details of white demo's/red bootlegs on popsike and also red bootlegs on discogs but not too many on scarlett issues.

In addition TB is touting the other side, "There I Was" which was done by Googie Rene three releases earlier but with different credits!!

Regards 

Inclined to agree. The pink issue is very hard to come by. Manship says the white demo is very scarce but Popsike shows the frequency of it marginally more numerous than the pink issue. I vaguely recall the red edition being on styrene and a pressed unofficially but don’t quote me on that. Both the white demos and pink issues of Buster and Eddie are very scarce and rarely come up for sale - more importantly, it is a top tune.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 29/03/2024 at 21:01, Theothertosspot said:

Regards 

Originally this classic when surfaced was on white demo format. No issues surfaced. A red boot surfaced in the mid 70’s. Then in around 1980/1981 it appeared on John Anderson’s list for £6. Suspicions arose at the time as some strange things had been happening with records on Castle and Arctic to name a couple. Eventually after a week or two the dust settled and the pink issues started appearing in sales boxes everywhere for a year or two you could pick it up for between £5 and £8. Turned out a ‘mother lode (100’s)’ of the ‘mythical issue’ had been unearthed. This would explain the scarcity of shows on popsike, as the pink issues are extremely rare in the wild, in short, the issues never got issued. A couple of other obscure boot attempts are also out there including a one-sided thing.

Someone on here may have the old soulbowl list from that time. Mind you, it was at a time when Johns list had things like Edward Hamilton (Baby Weep) for £6, Marie Knight £6, New Wanders £4, Carol Anderson £3, Will Colin’s £3. 🤔

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I have a dim and distant memory that this record was pulled prior to the stock copies reaching the shops due to the catalogue number (Class 1518) having already been used on Googie Rene - ChicaBoo/Mercy Mercy (which is true).

So the pink issues may have been found by John Anderson gathering dust at Monarch.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, daveh said:

I have a dim and distant memory that this record was pulled prior to the stock copies reaching the shops due to the catalogue number (Class 1518) having already been used on Googie Rene - ChicaBoo/Mercy Mercy (which is true).

So the pink issues may have been found by John Anderson gathering dust at Monarch.

Right never noticed that before. I think... So thanks anyway. With Google's Class 1517 HIT 'Smokey's Joe La-La' first pressed-up 'localy' then picked-up by Atco for national promotion and distribution this Atco deal went on with Class 1518 with Googie Rene Combo's follow up 'Chica-Boo' and finalized with Class 1519 not worth mentioning muzak (buzz kill) to finalize the Atco deal in regard of the sales dropping in comparison.

So could it be that the Buster and Eddie single on Class 1518 was already pressed up before the Atco deal with Class 1517 and few promos of Buster and Eddie were already sent out to radios and musical critics but to have a better chance at holding up to the success of 'Smokey's Joe La-La' with the Atco national promotion and distribution deal they "dumped" the Buster and Eddie and re-used the Class 1518 catalog number...

The few first pressed-up stockers of Buster and Eddie were likely then left in their count 25 boxes never to be commercialized and forgotten about until some British dealer came to unload them from their warehouses. The Appreciations 'It's Better To Cry' on (indie) Sport 111 did suffer a similar fate / tale with the Four Sonics also on Sport 111 distributed by Bell. This one comes to mind but likely there are evidently other examples out there.

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

18 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Inclined to agree. The pink issue is very hard to come by. Manship says the white demo is very scarce but Popsike shows the frequency of it marginally more numerous than the pink issue. I vaguely recall the red edition being on styrene and a pressed unofficially but don’t quote me on that. Both the white demos and pink issues of Buster and Eddie are very scarce and rarely come up for sale - more importantly, it is a top tune.

I was told that the red mid 70s issue was a legitimate re issue pressed with the original stamps. I have no evidence to say one way or another- its just what I was told many years ago. 

So, are the red mid/late 70s jobs boots or legitimate? Any one know?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Merve said:

I was told that the red mid 70s issue was a legitimate re issue pressed with the original stamps. I have no evidence to say one way or another- its just what I was told many years ago. 

To me they look indeed legit (never cared to listen to verify its sound quality) and the label Class of 1974 kept on up to 1975 (?) so could have been done fully legit under Googie's operation or partially (under his nose)... 

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Merve said:

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

To me they look indeed legit (never cared to listen to to verify sound quality) and the label Class of 1974 kept on up to 1975 (?) so could have been done fully legit under Googie's operation or partially (under his nose)... 

That is correct according to Soulmine Records, Aldershot who advertised it as shown below on EBAY.

Screenshot_2024-03-31-17-49-32-449_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.d7b82d1c9b9c8342afacd8ef74aa2ac2.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!