Uk Djs That Have Played At Soul Dos In The Usa

Guest Kevin J

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Didn't a few UK soul DJs go to a hotel in "New York" last year on a KRL charabang.....

Gavin Page and myself on here and a few others did the Soul 24-7 Washington party after 9/11. It was 80s / 90s, the crowd were very much up for dancing. no real rare stuff and no northern,.

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Didn't a few UK soul DJs go to a hotel in "New York" last year on a KRL charabang.....

i think the soul trip usa experience, as it is geared primarily towards uk residents, is probably a lot different than just djing to a purely american audience. its the latter that i am trying to get a gauge on.

kev

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Not having second thoughts are you fella? :lol:

ABSOLUTELY NOT!! on my end ... just want everyone to have a great time while they are here ... you know me, "cautious promoter."

jj - what time is it there ... i know i am up far too late, but arent you up far too early for a saturday morn?

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Keb is on here from time to time....hasn't he DJed to the world including USA

does he play northern tho?? i know he has played funk events.

Social source share

ABSOLUTELY NOT!! on my end ... just want everyone to have a great time while they are here ... you know me, "cautious promoter."

jj - what time is it there ... i know i am up far too late, but arent you up far too early for a saturday morn?

Its late... 9.16am... but i only got in from Burnley an hour ago... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Its late... 9.16am... but i only got in from Burnley an hour ago... :lol:

you know ... im terrible jealous. my night consisted of drinking beer and listening to records while my roommate slept on the sofa.

(edited because i confused burnley with bury) woops.

Edited by Kevin J
Social source share

I've D.J.'d once in New York and about 4 times in Pittsburgh with Johnny Beggs , and each time has been F***ing brilliant (thanks Juddy!!), as long as you use a little common sense. i.e. People are there to dance & party, so play stuff that makes you want to get up. Forget hang ups about what is and isn't politically correct to play, and go for the Jugular, playing the type of adrenalin fuelled things that got you into it in the first place. Bear in mind that those little compartments we have devised for sounds like "Wigan Sound", "Torch Sound", "Stafford Sound", "Oldies", "Newies" etc etc are totally irrelavent, so "Soulville Allstars-Nobody To Blame" sits nicely next to "Jades-I'm Where It's At" followed by some rocking bit of "R & B". Luckily I like this sort of stuff anyhow, so I'm like a Pig in Sh**. Records like "Dusty Wilson - Tragedy" however fabulous a piece of soul it is, would go down like a one legged tap dancer. First tune Beggsy ever put on over the pond was "Tempos - Countdown" followed by some obscure thing he's been championing, at a similar pace and it went down brilliantly!!! NO HANG UPS, NO POLITICS, FAST & FURIOUS NORTHERN SOUL - BRILLIANT

DES PARKER

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

I've D.J.'d once in New York and about 4 times in Pittsburgh with Johnny Beggs , and each time has been F***ing brilliant (thanks Juddy!!), as long as you use a little common sense. i.e. People are there to dance & party, so play stuff that makes you want to get up. Forget hang ups about what is and isn't politically correct to play, and go for the Jugular, playing the type of adrenalin fuelled things that got you into it in the first place. Bear in mind that those little compartments we have devised for sounds like "Wigan Sound", "Torch Sound", "Stafford Sound", "Oldies", "Newies" etc etc are totally irrelavent, so "Soulville Allstars-Nobody To Blame" sits nicely next to "Jades-I'm Where It's At" followed by some rocking bit of "R & B". Luckily I like this sort of stuff anyhow, so I'm like a Pig in Sh**. Records like "Dusty Wilson - Tragedy" however fabulous a piece of soul it is, would go down like a one legged tap dancer. First tune Beggsy ever put on over the pond was "Tempos - Countdown" followed by some obscure thing he's been championing, at a similar pace and it went down brilliantly!!! NO HANG UPS, NO POLITICS, FAST & FURIOUS NORTHERN SOUL - BRILLIANT

DES PARKER

des -

i djed subway soul this past december, and it was a great time...

i was going to say, however naive it may sound, us americans just really love to go out and dance to soul music, and many of the regular attendees to US nights really arent collectors (whether that be good or bad, depending on your perspective). personally, i enjoy playing records to crowds that just love to dance.

Edited by Kevin J
Social source share

Kevin

It's how things used to be over here, so enjoy it now, before we all start coming over and telling you "what should and shouldn't be played" and "who should and shouldn't be playing it" What you guys are doing over there has more to do with the true spirit of "Northern Soul" than quite a few of the egocentric and arrogant things that happen here!!

Keep doing what you're doing!!

DES PARKER

P.S. I'm bound to be in Seattle (brilliantly COOL City) within the next couple of Years so keep me posted on what's going on there.

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Des-

Love to have ya! keep in touch!

kev

Kevin

It's how things used to be over here, so enjoy it now, before we all start coming over and telling you "what should and shouldn't be played" and "who should and shouldn't be playing it" What you guys are doing over there has more to do with the true spirit of "Northern Soul" than quite a few of the egocentric and arrogant things that happen here!!

Keep doing what you're doing!!

DES PARKER

P.S. I'm bound to be in Seattle (brilliantly COOL City) within the next couple of Years so keep me posted on what's going on there.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

In NY 10th to 17th April if anyone knows if anything soul wise is happening that week please let me know.

Interesting thread.

Social source share

I played at Subway Soul in NY circa 2001 I think - it was brilliant fun (helped by the fact that the whole trip was just fantastic thanks to Jessica and Greg and various others :lol: ) - as already mentioned in other responses, most of the people down seemed very much into having a good time with little in the way of 'scene hang ups', as mentioned, it was all very friendly and very enthusiastic.... would absolutely love to do it again if the chance ever arose... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

In NY 10th to 17th April if anyone knows if anything soul wise is happening that week please let me know.

Interesting thread.

live? new or old? few gigs on i know about of new artists, but whatever Persuasions at Joes pub on 15th looks interesting

Social source share

I did a mini tour on one trip and DJed to Nancy Yahiro and a barman in LA which was fun, 150 people in San Francisco on a mid week night with Alec Palao and it was brilliant, the first crowd that's appreciated my dulcet tones, the the legendary and much missed Empie State Soul club in NYC rammed and rocking and Maxine Brown came along and whupped the locals at pool!

Take some club classics, bits of Motown and Stax and a few 70s classics as well as Northern, once you've got everyone going they'll dance to owt.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert