Burnley A Go-go All Nighter

Guest Stuart Raith

Guest Stuart Raith

Again the boys took my £10 and gave me at least twenty tunes I've never heard before. I've been serious about rare soul since 1975 and that takes some doing I tell you. What a bargain! Along with the belting tunes I was treated to some quality dancing and one of the most genuine friendly crowds I think I've ever encountered at any venue. If Northern Soul is to ever come to an end, it deserves to be in clubs like the Burnley allnighter. A rare experience indeed! I is coming back. Thanks to Paul for the lift home and helping to sort Budgie out, and to Col Taylor for him just being there. Col - I reckon the last time we crossed paths was at Tony's in Blackburn... F**k knows how long ago that was ;-))

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Trevski

First trip to Burnley last nite, Great venue, good crowd. Standout sets from Paul and Phil. Could have done with a bit more quality mid-tempo in some sets, for my liking, and a smattering of 70's but a trend seems to be developing for relentless, banging up-tempo sets these days. Paul, thanks for spinning the Sea shells! :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski

First trip to Burnley last nite, Great venue, good crowd. Standout sets from Paul and Phil. Could have done with a bit more quality mid-tempo in some sets, for my liking, and a smattering of 70's but a trend seems to be developing for relentless, banging up-tempo sets these days. Paul, thanks for spinning the Sea shells! :thumbsup:

Thanks Trevor, will post playlist later :thumbsup:

See you at the Wilton

cheers

Paul

Burnley great venue and crowd surpriseingly not that far from Yorkshire, going over the border at around 22.30 expecting the venue to be wanting custom but they were in before us, well most of them were. The dance flo

r was buzzing all night it seemed with good crowd with a good knowledge of the music. Good to see Brian again, he is the one the on that wheres his hat the wrong way around, great bloke I have n

t seen him since going to soul night at the social club at Skipton rail station. :thumbsup:  A good selection of music, a lot I have not herd before, or I have but the memories gone, with odd poppular oldie punctu

ting the nights sounds. No complaits Great night

another great night at burnley , it just gets better great set from dickie watt - top man and as usual all the residents doing the business . top tunes dickies - little stanley , and the idols - check her out

heres some i remember playing no particular order EARLY DOORS 10 - 11PM

WINSTON RICHARDS - LET US GET TOGETHER - TREX

THE TOPICS - HEY GIRL - CHADWICK

FOUR ARTS - WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE - SHEE

HONEY AND THE BEES - TWO CAN PLAY THE SAME - ACADEMY

STERPHONICS - DONT LEAVE ME - MAS TOK

JIMMY WALLACE - ILL BE BACK - ALPHA

FASCINATORS - IN OTHER WORDS - BOMBAY

CYNTHIA IMAGINARY 3 - THATS WHAT I AM - BIG HIT

BARBARA JEAN - WHY WERENT YOU THERE - BIG HIT

THE HEADLINES - HES LOOKING FOR A LOVE - LUAU

MAR JS - GO TO FIND A WAY OUT - MAGIC TOUCH

NEW YORKERS - DONT WANNA BE YOUR FOOL - TAC FUL

MATADORS - SAY YES BABY - CHAVIS

EMPIRES - YOUR ON TOP GIRL - CANDI

DYNAMIC THREE - YOU SAID YEAH - DEL VAL

EPSILONS - MIND IN A BIND - HEM

HERB JOHNSON - CARFARE BACK - ARCTIC

SONNY JONES - STOLEN MOMENTS - SCRAM

JESSE THOMAS - BASES ARE LOADED - TAIL GATE

MR CALDWELL - LOVE BANDIT - SCORPIO

BOBBY ANGELE - TO MUCH FOR YOU - MONEY

VASHONETTES - MIGHTY GOOD LOVER - CHECKER

SANDRA PHILLIPS - I WISH I HAD KNOWN - OKEH

MARY SAXTON - LOSING CONTROL - PACE

RE- VELLS - I WANT A NEW LOVE - TRENT TOWN

TRANNELS - BLESSED WITH A LOVE - FLO JO

THELMA WILSON - DO YOU UNDERSTAND - LOU -NEITTA

TY KARIM - YOU REALLY MADE IT GOOD TO ME - ROMARK

Edited by Tony Parker
Guest Neil Taylor

Fantastic night again,loved all the music played.Proper bangin` uptempo 6ts soul music,with no 70ts in sight......quality :thumbsup:

Phil,thanks for putting this all nighter on the map.

Lisa,hope you like the tape and the little talk over at the end.....ha,ha,ha. :thumbsup:

kit,looking foreward to the c.d :lol:

And thanks to all the people who give this venue that special atmosphere.

Neil.... :lol:

Got to agree, another great nite, with a like minded crowd. A few new faces this time so word is getting about that this really is the top niter around for hearing good quality 60's soul. As usual all dj's produced the goods - dickie watts - what a guest! quality throughout, and that guy from Northampton didnt do too bad either (Hi Tony!), :thumbsup:

Cant wait for the next one, its finding some decent soul in between thats the hard bit, cheers Phil, keep it up :thumbsup::lol::lol: k/w

Guest Trevski

another great night at burnley , it just gets better great set from dickie watt - top man and as usual all the residents doing the business . top tunes dickies - little stanley , and the idols - check her out

Missed this set, as we arrived just before 11. Pity, this is the kind of vairied set I love to hear. Quality (non-banging) stuff! :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski
Guest Neil Taylor

This is why i've got to get up here very soon :rolleyes:

Hi Baz,i remember you liked the stuff i played at The George...p/bridge,bangin` tunes thumbsup.gif what i like to call REAL northern soul.

Neil

:rolleyes: WHAT A FANTASTIC NIGHT AT BURNLEY, GOT THERE NICE AND EARLY TO SEE TONY PARKER START THE NIGHT OFF :D IN A WORD BRILLIANT WELL DONE MATE, THEN PAUL,STU,PHIL,DICKIE(AWESOME TUNES), CLIFF,KARL AND FRED ALL PLAYING TUNES OF TOP QUALITY PUT THAT TOGETHER WITH A GREAT CROWD AND THATS BURNLEY wicked.gif OUTSTANDING. SE YA. ENZO shades.gif

now thats a playlist

heres some i remember playing no particular order
EARLY DOORS 10 - 11PM

HI STU CRACKING NIGHT AGAIN// WILL LISTEN TOO THE TAPE THIS WEEK AND GIVE YOU A RING SOON ONCE AGAIN NICE TOO SEE YOU AND BUDGIE AT AREAL ALLNITER.... :rolleyes:thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Again
the boys took my £10 and gave me at least twenty tunes I've never heard before. I've been serious about rare soul since 1975 and that takes some doing I tell you. What a bargain! Along with the belting tunes I was treated to some quality dancing and one of the most genuine friendly crowds I think I've ever encountered at any venue. If Northern Soul is to ever come to an end, it deserves to be in clubs like the Burnley allnighter. A rare experience indeed! I is coming back. Thanks to Paul for the lift home and helping to sort Budgie out, and to Col Taylor for him just being there. Col - I reckon the last time we crossed paths was at Tony's in Blackburn... F**k knows how long ago that was ;-))

A quality set Tony as always :thumbsup: looking forward to hearing you out and about soon :D Burnley is a fantastic venue to spin a few tunes at

Best

Mike

Edited by Mike B

First trip to Burnley last nite, Great venue, good crowd. Standout sets from Paul and Phil. Could have done with a bit more quality mid-tempo in some sets, for my liking, and a smattering of 70's but a trend seems to be developing for relentless, banging up-tempo sets these days. Paul, thanks for spinning the Sea shells! thumbsup.gif

Yes, it was a good turn out and I heard some great tracks. I agree with you about the lack of 70's and mid-tempo though.. ALSO, please sort out the sound system.! With such great music coming out of the venue, its frustrating to not be able to hear it properly.....perhaps two more speakers at the far end, would sort it out. Seemed to be clearer in the last two spots? Anyway, a good night and the right attitude. Keep it up!

PAUL-S :thumbsup:

OK, first of all, many thanks to all who turned out on Friday night. Fantastic company all night and totally enjoyed myself, except that I've knackered my knee and wasn't able to dance.......

Also, many thanks for the comments and feedback on this thread. I'm very greatful......

Just one or two critisisms that I feel should be answered, so here goes.......

Trevski, good to see you at Burnley, and I'm sorry if you were disappointed after such a long journey. The music policy at Burnley has never been accross the board. It's something that I personally don't like ie. trying to be all things to all men[and women of course]. I was always looking to play 60's rare and lesser played northern, with just the odd crossover, 70's, and r&b tune thrown in....

Having spent years travelling all over the country, trying to find a soul night/nighter that was my idea of heaven, I decided that no such place existed. At this point [a couple of years ago] I decided to sell up and find another interest...... One night while in conversation with some other totally disolusioned and like minded friends, I had the stupid idea of creating my idea of a soul night. "Just give it a go, and if it fails, I'll hold my hands up and leave the scene for good".......

In the opinion of myself and the rest of the Burnley team, when people take the time and trouble to travel to our venue, and then pay £10 to come in. Then we feel obliged to try to entertain them. And to our thinking that means, 1. offering an atmospheric venue with all the amenities. All night bar, great sound system, record dealers, wooden dance floor, clean toilets, proffessional security, ample parking, and a friendly welcome.

2. Playing dance music of the highest quality. In our view, people want to be entertained, and that means they want to dance, and see others dancing. Thats what it's all about in our humble opinion.

3. I've seen it so many times at a nighter. Some DJ will come on and decide he or she is going to play an hour of 70's and destoys the entire night. The atmosphere fizzles out and the night is over. And on the subject of mid tempo stuff, I feel that we do play quite a few. But we have found that you tend to clear the floor if you play too much. And again, the night can go flat.

4. Paul, I really enjoy your company, and it's a pleasure to watch you dancing. But I think you are confusing sound quality with volume mate. As any friend of mine will tell you, I am by nature a perfectionist, and believe me, if the sound wasn't right then it would be sorted instantly. I think it all boils down to personal taste. We all have hi-fi at home, but I guarantee that we all have them set up differently to suite our own taste. I have been toying with the idea of adding a couple of the new flat pannel speakers to my set up, but the manufacturer is having problems supplying them at the moment. I personally don't like the sound too loud, as I feel people need to be able to hold a coversation. To me if when you get home your ears are ringing, then it's been too loud.

I hope that I have explained myself clearly there. In essence, I'm not going to change my music policy to please anyone. I think there's enough accross the board venues allready out there. If you don't like it at Burnley, then I'm sorry. And Trev I'll gladly refund your £10 mate.

Phil.

OK, first of all, many thanks to all who turned out on Friday night. Fantastic company all night and totally enjoyed myself, except that I've knackered my knee and wasn't able to dance.......

Also, many thanks for the comments and feedback on this thread. I'm very greatful......

Trevski, good to see you at Burnley, and I'm sorry if you were disappointed after such a long journey. The music policy at Burnley has never been accross the board. It's something that I personally don't like ie. trying to be all things to all men[and women of course]. I was always looking to play 60's rare and lesser played northern, with just the odd crossover, 70's, and r&b tune thrown in....

Having spent years travelling all over the country, trying to find a soul night/nighter that was my idea of heaven, I decided that no such place existed. At this point [a couple of years ago] I decided to sell up and find another interest...... One night while in conversation with some other totally disolusioned and like minded friends, I had the stupid idea of creating my idea of a soul night. "Just give it a go, and if it fails, I'll hold my hands up and leave the scene for good".......

In the opinion of myself and the rest of the Burnley team, when people take the time and trouble to travel to our venue, and then pay £10 to come in. Then we feel obliged to try to entertain them. And to our thinking that means, 1. offering an atmospheric venue with all the amenities. All night bar, great sound system, record dealers, wooden dance floor, clean toilets, proffessional security, ample parking, and a friendly welcome.

2. Playing dance music of the highest quality. In our view, people want to be entertained, and that means they want to dance, and see others dancing. Thats what it's all about in our humble opinion.

3. I've seen it so many times at a nighter. Some DJ will come on and decide he or she is going to play an hour of 70's and destoys the entire night. The atmosphere fizzles out and the night is over. And on the subject of mid tempo stuff, I feel that we do play quite a few. But we have found that you tend to clear the floor if you play too much. And again, the night can go flat.

4. Paul, I really enjoy your company, and it's a pleasure to watch you dancing. But I think you are confusing sound quality with volume mate. As any friend of mine will tell you, I am by nature a perfectionist, and believe me, if the sound wasn't right then it would be sorted instantly. I think it all boils down to personal taste. We all have hi-fi at home, but I guarantee that we all have them set up differently to suite our own taste. I have been toying with the idea of adding a couple of the new flat pannel speakers to my set up, but the manufacturer is having problems supplying them at the moment. I personally don't like the sound too loud, as I feel people need to be able to hold a coversation. To me if when you get home your ears are ringing, then it's been too loud.

I hope that I have explained myself clearly there. In essence, I'm not going to change my music policy to please anyone. I think there's enough accross the board venues allready out there. If you don't like it at Burnley, then I'm sorry. And Trev I'll gladly refund your £10 mate.

Phil.

i agree with you phil 100%, leave burnley as it is mate, this is whats making it the best allnighter in the country.if you want to hear modern & crossover go somewhere else!

Guest Trevski

Phil.

No refund neccesary big fella! Wasn't dissapointed per s, and I wasn't expecting across the board stuff,but as you said, "60's rare and lesser known, with just the odd crossover 70's thrown in"

I like 70's, not the whole lot, but good quality stuff, that comes on 7" vinyl, and doesn't last over 3mins :lol: Lots of quality 70's about at the mo' not the floorclearing boring stuff! "Elipsis, Mixed feelings, Joseph Webster etc, and lesser played, cheaper stuff like Newsounds, Gwen Mcrae etc. Don't need an hour of 70's just a couple or three mixed in here and there.Same goes for mid-tempo, giving a set a 'rise and fall' Can't take an hour of uptempo these days, as it all tends to blur into one! Overall, thought it was a good night, great venue, great crowd, and a lot of enjoyable tunes. I will be back! :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski

No refund neccesary big fella! Wasn't dissapointed per s, and I wasn't expecting across the board stuff,but as you said, "60's rare and lesser known, with just the odd crossover 70's thrown in"

I like 70's, not the whole lot, but good quality stuff, that comes on 7" vinyl, and doesn't last over 3mins :unsure: Lots of quality 70's about at the mo' not the floorclearing boring stuff! "Elipsis, Mixed feelings, Joseph Webster etc, and lesser played, cheaper stuff like Newsounds, Gwen Mcrae etc. Don't need an hour of 70's just a couple or three mixed in here and there.Same goes for mid-tempo, giving a set a 'rise and fall' Can't take an hour of uptempo these days, as it all tends to blur into one! Overall, thought it was a good night, great venue, great crowd, and a lot of enjoyable tunes. I will be back! :thumbsup:

Sorry Trev, didn't mean to go off on one. Fred Krol usually sneaks a few crossover and 70's things into his set, but he was on last so you may have missed him. I also had at least 5 of the tunes ready to play in my set, that Mr. Parker played early doors. :rolleyes: As I said, we have found that our punters don't seem to want to dance to mid tempo tunes, and indeed I don't think I've ever been asked to play any 70's. Just as well really as I don't actually own any. :unsure: And a lot of my mid tempo 45's are up for sale, simply because they don't work with the dancers...

In fact, last time Steve Green DJ'd for me, halfway through his set, I was on the door. One of the lads came rushing out and said "quick you've got to do something, Steves lost the floor and people are complaining" and this is a man who has superb taste and an awesome collection. All he had done, was played a few mid tempo tunes in succession. And I'm talking QUALITY tunes too. Anyway I went in, and the floor was dead. But I didn't need to worry, like the true proffessional that he is, Steve stuck the stylus on the Tranells and bang, the place erupted, packed dance floor for the rest of his set.... But it just shows how easy it is to kill a nighter, even with the best collections.

Hope to see you around soon Trev.

Best, Phil.

Top night once again. Only stopped till 4am cos I was a tired lad. This really is a cracking night and agree 100% with what Phil is trying to achieve. I'm all for a night that plays uptempo 60's.

My girlfriend now wants to make this every month and she's a hard one to please as she's mainly an oldies fan. She even started asking me "whats this one called..."

If anyone hasn't been to this night then get on it soon. You dont know what yo're missing.

Top night once again. Only stopped till 4am cos I was a tired lad. This really is a cracking night and agree 100% with what Phil is trying to achieve. I'm all for a night that plays uptempo 60's.

My girlfriend now wants to make this every month and she's a hard one to please as she's mainly an oldies fan. She even started asking me "whats this one called..."

If anyone hasn't been to this night then get on it soon. You dont know what yo're missing.

Many thanks Paul, great to see you and your girl, missed the rest of the young guns. I hope we will see them again sometime.

Phil.

Oops sorry bit late in posting been a busy bee :thumbsup:

Real Friendly atmosphere - everything in one room - offering a nice intimate feel to the venue :ohmy:

Enjoyed catching up & having a good laugh - then the best of both worlds - banging uptempo sound's - encouraging my body to do it's own thing on the carpet :D My favourite dancing surface :ohmy:

Karen

Edited by sanquine

Hey, fair enough Phil. I am pretty f---king deaf.!! :thumbsup: Just giving my comments on a personal basis. I totally agree with what your saying. Burnley works and its a venue I try to support......an important venue, as far as im concerned. I think the only way to run a night, is with a belief and passion in the music being played. And Burnley certainly has that! Keep it up.

paul-s :ohmy:

Oops sorry bit late in posting been a busy bee :thumbsup:

Real Friendly atmosphere - everything in one room - offering a nice intimate feel to the venue :D

Enjoyed catching up & having a good laugh - then the best of both worlds - banging uptempo sound's - encouraging my body to do it's own thing on the carpet :wicked: My favourite dancing surface :yes:

Karen

Good to see you Karen, sorry didn't get much time to chat with you. :sleep3::lol:

Hey, fair enough Phil. I am pretty f---king deaf.!! :sleep3: Just giving my comments on a personal basis. I totally agree with what your saying. Burnley works and its a venue I try to support......an important venue, as far as im concerned. I think the only way to run a night, is with a belief and passion in the music being played. And Burnley certainly has that! Keep it up.

paul-s :yes:

Thanks Paul you're a gent. :thumbsup:

Guest Neil Taylor

This place is building a reputation for being the best place to go to hear uptempo 6ts soul music,and i`m glad Phil as outlined this in his comments above.Nowt wrong with crossover,70ts ,or modern.....we just dont want to listen to it here :sleep3: Save it for sunday mornings, chillin` out with the misses. :thumbsup:

Neil......

Guest Paul Brennan

Would just like to echo the sentiments expressed by Karl Heard on the night, in saying a big thank you to a big fella - Phil Kowalski. He has stuck at it through some very lean times, taken a far amount of stick, but has come through shining. Top Man - Top Niter. Phil thanks very much thumbsup.gif

Paul

ps regards posts you replied to Phil, did'nt read them as anyone havin a dig, just friends being constructive imo. However, you know what you want and I don't believe anybody goes away disappointed, everyone I know raves about Burnley.

(glad I never posted my suggestions up would have been banned by now :D

Would just like to echo the sentiments expressed by Karl Heard on the night, in saying a big thank you to a big fella - Phil Kowalski. He has stuck at it through some very lean times, taken a far amount of stick, but has come through shining. Top Man - Top Niter. Phil thanks very much thumbsup.gif

Paul

ps regards posts you replied to Phil, did'nt read them as anyone havin a dig, just friends being constructive imo. However, you know what you want and I don't believe anybody goes away disappointed, everyone I know raves about Burnley.

(glad I never posted my suggestions up would have been banned by now :D

Thanks Paul, no worries, I was just trying to explain the ethos behind Burnley. It's for people who want to dance all night to QUALITY rare soul music. Thats it, simple as.....

I was meaning to have a chat with you on Friday, but for some reason I never saw you.....Blind as a bat mate.

Thanks for the comments, and your support.

Speak soon.

Phil.

Guest Paul Brennan

Again the boys took my £10 and gave me at least twenty tunes I've never heard before. I've been serious about rare soul since 1975 and that takes some doing I tell you. What a bargain! Along with the belting tunes I was treated to some quality dancing and one of the most genuine friendly crowds I think I've ever encountered at any venue. If Northern Soul is to ever come to an end, it deserves to be in clubs like the Burnley allnighter. A rare experience indeed! I is coming back. Thanks to Paul for the lift home and helping to sort Budgie out, and to Col Taylor for him just being there. Col - I reckon the last time we crossed paths was at Tony's in Blackburn... F**k knows how long ago that was ;-))

No probs Stuart,

enjoyed the company very much and the magical mystery tour / quest for the golden fleece (keys) biggrin.gif . Took me back years, driving around various parts of Lancashire, with half a plan, no one quite sure what it is though, plenty of cock-ups along the way, loads of laughs, but usually well worth it the end, if you get my drift.

see you at next month's Burnley if not before. If you need a lift contact me or Col

Cheers Paul

This place is building a reputation for being the best place to go to hear uptempo 6ts soul music,and i`m glad Phil as outlined this in his comments above.Nowt wrong with crossover,70ts ,or modern.....we just dont want to listen to it here :( Save it for sunday mornings, chillin` out with the misses. :thumbsup:

Neil.

===============================================================================

Speak for yourself Neil i know quite a few soulies who go to Burnley who like to hear rare 70.s dancers myself included

good DJ,s know what to play and when to play certain tunes and to say a we dont want to listen to crossover 70.s or modern

is a very backward statement danceable rare soul is good whether its from the 60,s / 70,s ect ect ive been to many great venues

and heard all the best DJ,s over the past 37 yrs and the best DJ,S over the past 20 yrs have always played a mixture of the above rare soul music in their DJ spots to packed floors any promoter who tells DJ,s what to play in my opinion should get back in the Tardis and put on his baggy pants n Badges and go back to the early 70,s when Detroit 45,s where 25p each :(:(

I would much rather dance to Jo Webster , Hamilton Movement ect ect than something ive heard many many times since the year zog

One of the best soul nites ive been to in years HIP CITY in Berlin the music played that nite was everything from rare 60,s ie Little Stanley--Outasite Lovin, Lester Tipton ect to current 70,s monsters and it was Soul Music at its very best .different strokes for different folks everyones a individual the best DJ,S dont get that title by playin 60.s all nite ie Butch Sam Mick H, Marc Forrest, Andy Dyson, Bob Hinsley , Flanny, Carl Fortnum, Ginger, Kenny Burrell, James Trouble Tim Brown ect ect ect ect

RARE DANCEABLE SOUL MUSIC IS GREAT WHETHER ITS FROM THE 60,S OR BEHOND..

THIS IS SOUL--REMEMBER BUT FOR BLACK AMERICAN SOUL MUSIC..WE WOULD NEVER HAVE MET SO MANY NICE PEOPLE

,BECOME VERY GOOD FRIENDS WITH SO MANY OR HAD OUR LIVES FULFILLED BY A TYPE OF MUSIC WHICH FOR MANY OF US,IS NOT A HOBBY BUT A WAY OF LIFE..DONT KEEP THE FAITH SPREAD IT THRO THE MUSIC N DANCE TILL U DROP !!!

LOVE PEACE & HAPPINESS..

IAN CUNLIFFE

Thanks Paul, no worries, I was just trying to explain the ethos behind Burnley.

===================================================

ETHOS ? Phil isnt that the little geezer with the bow n arrow..Dont start usin posh words

that you read in womens own mag..... :thumbsup::(

think burnleys music policy as been clearly stated by the promoter and we all have a choice what venues we support , surely those who want to hear 70s/modern etc go to venues that cater for that , i regularly go to lifeline where its as upfront 60/70s as you get and i love it for what it is .

burnley is a 60s venue run by a group of likeminded collecters/djs who have no wish to be top djs , i always have fantastic time . think the majority who go do so because they want uptempo 60s ,but not overplayed oldies . you get what it says on the can and long may it continue

Edited by Tony Parker

Source Advert