Thanks to everyone who supported us last weekend

for a first attempt it went really well and we will be back next year

heres a quick review

hopefully the djs will proovide playlists

we had a great time

cheers sean

North Lancs Soul Festival Review

April 2007

Well where do you start, I've spent most of Monday recovering enjoying the sunshine and reflecting on what has been a small success in terms of other bigger events. The sun shone all weekend, the music was inspiring as much as it was highly popular with locals and travellers alike. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and don't mind saying so no it was better than that it was FANTASTIC!!!!!

I must admit I had no idea how busy we were going to be and was very nervous Thursday night as the guys were testing out the equipment in the Kings Arms.

We were chasing round getting bookings for the coach to the orwell and the publicity bandwagon must have driven you all mad but the drum banging was worth it.

It was a weird sensation seeing Kevin Oxberry roll up to my local with Shaun Robbins in tow and then a steady procession of EMS'ers all in great party mood. It was so cool to meet up and the coach was on time but not The Wakefield City Soul club, taxi problems but boy did the party get started once we boarded the coach.

An impromptu request stop by Charlie at Booze for you and the revellers beered up were on their way, even the coach driver stocked up on cheap fags and then we were on our way to Wigan. A quick pick up for the Fulwood Four(sounding like the soul police but I promise they werent!!!)

The CDs were loaded in the sound system and Shaun Robbins passed around the beered up monster signs and organised the Wakefield crew who by now were on their second case of stella!!!!!

We arrived around 915pm in time for the Orwell early session and some cool crossover grooves to get us in the mood but NO we were in party mood and the djs duly obliged and you can see the playlists on soul source. Flanny and Plumby greeted us all with top tunes and throughout the night a steady procession of punters enjoyed a quality night which you can now view on Jason Mill's superb video put on you tube and linked to both forums.

The coach punters were given their free cd with tracks provided by Epic Ockers and Plumby a real treasured item I expect a real souvenir of the weekend. Flanny played a couple which were featured Delegation one more step to take and Friday Saturday Sunday There must be something.

The Orwell was a great night and Shaun and Bob played a diamond set with some big tunes and a busy dancefloor and Ockers followed up with some 70ss to keep everyone going with Steve Connor and Baz taking the dancefloor to another level a rammed night and a big success. A real friendly venue with quality music all night Tune and Beered Up Signs raised all night such was the quality.

A late finish saw us back in Morecambe around 330am my hat goes off to Simon Attwood with a stonking hangover got the equipment sorted in times for a 1000am start and breakfast at The York Hotel. Simons skills and hard work didn't go unnoticed and for me was the unsung hero ensuring all the gear at each venue was in tip top condition and ready to go. Any problem that may have arisen was quickly sorted Well done mate medal is being created!!!!

Gary Johnson Bob Shaun and the boys enjoyed that room at the back in the York Hotel bedecked with Footie scarves gave it some atmosphere along with The Wakefield City Soul club banner and formation dancing which was to be their trademark all weekend.

Gary Johnson was on when I managed to surface around 12ish and loved the Tuomo seven must grab that one asap.

I then stayed for most of the afternoon at The Kings Arms, this was the quietest venue and maybe something to look at next year. A perfect venue for a soul all dayer or a northern venue, Brett Franklin dropped some awesome crossover to these ears followed by the Soulful dance vibes from Terry Gee a wonderful set and worthy of a far bigger audience which he go tat the York Hotel on the Sunday in an extended spot, great stuff Terry!!!(get the play lists over if you can!!!)

Soulful Dance at Lytham courteousy of Pete Haigh Andy Lett and Steve Naylor provided some great jazzy vibes as we have come to expect from our friends on the Fylde.

Over in the Bath Hotel Duffs and Tim were sorting out the northern Boys and Dave Gillett and Geoff Claxton provided some great Northern Soul and a super record bar to boot. The Local Northern Soul Brigade were out in force and kept it going to an unofficial finish time of 330am Sunday Morning!!!!

Saturday Night arrived and with it another fantastic night of Soulful vibes. The Orwell Part two party took place with a packed night from start to finish. Larry Longton and Simon Attwood kicked off the party with an hour of Salsoul classics with one of the tunes of the weekend for me in Moment of Truth's "So much for love" and Double Exposure you name it they played it. Roman arrived just in time to play an hour of 60ss 700s fresh from a very busy Soul at Barnoldswick the night before 170 in there so it seemed everyone was having a soulful time in The Northwest over the weekend!!!! Roman passed on Sean Millward's apologies for not being able to make it and was gutted and we hope Sean you are starting to feel better soon we all know how tough a time youre having(keep in touch mate!!!)

A great set from Roamn and then it was Morecambe's version of the Wakefield City Soul club in Charlie Dixon kicked of with ESmoove and away we went again and from that moment really the Wakefield Party started. Formation dancing, standing on chairs, joining in the chorus you name it they do it on the dance floor. Bob and Shaun having a great time(well Bob had brought his crates and was dealing again by this time!!!) they pulled out the 60ss and 70ss classics and big tunes to keep the floor busy and Jay McGhee over and over sounded the business and I'm sure they thoroughly enjoyed it. Playlists will follow.

The Soulful Dance crew kept the beat uptempo with Kimiko Kasia and Herbie Hancock kicking things off and monster after monster soulful dance and the dancing just didn't stop, Ockers finished off proceedings with an attempt at a mecca last hour interspersed with some quality 60ss 70s and a big request at the end of the night for GQ Make my dreams a reality to a packed dance floor. A memorable night!!!!

Such was the buzz and atmosphere we decided to drop the football club and keep everyone together and I'm so glad we did...............

Sunday came with a call from Terry Gee who had overslept the night previously but was there in time at The York Hotel in time for his breakfast. Duffs bless him late finish was there at The Bath at Midday to set up again and entertain the early punters from The Barrow in Furness Scooter Club and Barrow's finest Gary White. The Northern punters were happy and a again a great afternoon in there

Back to The York and The Sunday Soul Selection team of Shaun Bob and Gary kicked of proceedings, heard Mario Biondi in there too Bob brought his crates back and again was found to be dealing all afternoon(poor form bob...lol) Paul Thrower once again played a magical mid tempo madness hour to a packed back room with a real family vibe and then Brett Franklin played an hour of sublime crossover with what could have been one of the tunes of the day, Dennis Lee and The Notables Sunday Afternoon What a tune that is!!!

Terry Gee came back for an hour and a half due to Alan Barnes having to return home(Don't worry Alan you will be back here with us next year!!!!!) and played 90 minutes of first class nu soul vibes and this time had a crowd who loved the vibe he created. Terry is on at The Hilton in May and lend him your support and a top guy too!!!

Loved the Brett Sinclair Full Flava choones.

Kevin Oxberry played a wonderful across the genres and you can see Kev's play lists elsewhere on EMS thread an infectious personality and such passion for the music which was there for everyone to see all weekend. So much time and effort had gone into the play lists as it had with all the jocks and we were all rewarded

Andy Lett and Steve Naylor retunred with a two hour spirit of the mecca set and boy did they turn back the clock and keep everyone in party mood and of course it was interspersed with some quality crossover. Steve you must bring the original mecca deck hanging up in your garage so we can pay homage...lol!!!!

Larry and Tony provided a seaside soul flavour from all the decades with Sean Oliver a big choon up here after all this time and I suppose everywhere, Steve Edgar then played another great set with Steve and Carlisle crew here to the end loving every minute and filming the Wakefield Crew on the dancefloor, by this time Lanza Bar Shaun had managed to get his sweatshirt covered in beer and on back to front....lol

Brett kept it going with more quality crossover and some Orwell spins too.

Ockers and Sean T finished it all off with some northern soul from Benny Troy Jackie Wilson a big group hug around the dancefloor to The Johnson Family andother last chance for beered up monsters Phyllis Hyman you know how to love me and of course Lou Rawls and we were on our way and with that a great finish to our first attempt at a weekender

There were so many laughs so many good tunes, friendships made and we will be doing it all again next year that's for sure

Watch this space and a big big thanks to everyone for their support to all at Seaside Soul for your help over last three months and to everyone who travelled up personal sacrifice to you I salute you all

I blame Shaun Robbins, if I hadn't tuned in two years ago..........................

Sean

Ockers at Uppy Downy 200am till 300am

in no particular order

Vince Montana That's what love does

Carstairs It really hurts me girl

Dells Its all up to you

Intruders A nice girl like you

Southside Movement Do it to me

Oscar Perry I got what you need

Pat Lundi Party Music

Midnight Keep on walking by

Pete Warner I just want to spend my life with you

Archie Bell Dancing to your music

Eddie Kendricks Date with the rain

GQ Make my dreams a reality

Johnny Bristol You and I

Marvin Holmes You better keep her

Major Harris Loving you is mellow

Mac Davis I'm just in love

Smoke So glad you came along

Edited by ockers
  • Replies 22
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Zane10

Hi folks,

I've added Fiona's photos for the Orwell night in the following album

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...&album=1112

Once again, a great night all round - fantastic reception and company, wonderful music, cheap alcohol....what more would you want?

I've also added Fiona's pics for the York Hotel on the Saturday in this album

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...&album=1115

Another fantastic event, so sad that we had to leave early on the Saturday to go back up north

All the best,

Zane & Fiona

Top weekend Sean. Friday night was excellent as per the Orwell thread. Saturday day time was also good. Turned up at the King's Arms about 12.20am with a very sore head but the opening spot from two of the local lads was very good (Teddy P, Johnny Bristol, Terry Callier and other goodies). We made our way to The York after 1 to catch Shaun Robbins and Bob who were on top form again. Paul Thrower followed them ion great style playing a lovely jazzy version of "Am I The Same Girl" by Sandra ?, Norris Vines & Tommy Tate.

We them went back to the Kings Arms where Pete Haigh and the Family Tree crew were playing some fantastic jazzy, Mecca, soulful dance type tunes - really enjoyed this set (and their set later). It was also good to hear Terry Gee's new release set.

I was a bit knackered on Saturday night but I thought it went with a swing. Had to make our way back on Sunday but really enjoyed ourselves. :thumbsup:

Vince Montana That's what love does

Carstairs It really hurts me girl

Dells Its all up to you

Intruders A nice girl like you

Southside Movement Do it to me

Oscar Perry I got what you need

Pat Lundi Party Music

Midnight Keep on walking by

Pete Warner I just want to spend my life with you

Archie Bell Dancing to your music

Eddie Kendricks Date with the rain

GQ Make my dreams a reality

Johnny Bristol You and I

Marvin Holmes You better keep her

Major Harris Loving you is mellow

Smoke So glad you came along

Sounded like a cracker of the weekend. Love the Johnny Bristol track - he was so underrated. Managed to play Intruders Nice Girl on Sunday night at Haigh Hall to a mixed room. I'll not post my full list but it ranged from Nancy Wilson's version of Love Won't Let Me Wait to Armand Van Helden remix of Insomnia with just about anything in between as well as the occasional Abba, Madonna type *+*+. (It was a wedding)

Just thought, I may post up my first hour as I pre-recorded it - all very gentle stuff.

Glad you had a great weekend Sean , hope to make it myself if you do it again ,Best Wishes ,Eddie

Thanks for that Eddie much appreciated

we had a ball

and it would be great to see you up here next year too

we are definitley doing it again in 2008

plans will start again over the summer

Cheers Sean

:thumbsup:

Top weekend Sean. Friday night was excellent as per the Orwell thread. Saturday day time was also good. Turned up at the King's Arms about 12.20am with a very sore head but the opening spot from two of the local lads was very good (Teddy P, Johnny Bristol, Terry Callier and other goodies). We made our way to The York after 1 to catch Shaun Robbins and Bob who were on top form again. Paul Thrower followed them ion great style playing a lovely jazzy version of "Am I The Same Girl" by Sandra ?, Norris Vines & Tommy Tate.

We them went back to the Kings Arms where Pete Haigh and the Family Tree crew were playing some fantastic jazzy, Mecca, soulful dance type tunes - really enjoyed this set (and their set later). It was also good to hear Terry Gee's new release set.

I was a bit knackered on Saturday night but I thought it went with a swing. Had to make our way back on Sunday but really enjoyed ourselves. :D

"AM I THE SAME GIRL " nice little version SOUNDS LIKE THE FANTASTIC SALENA JONES

HI to all who took part in organising and attending!

Me and the wife had a superb time in sunny morecambe :lol:

will post up a detailed review very shortly :thumbsup:

Nev

"AM I THE SAME GIRL " nice little version SOUNDS LIKE THE FANTASTIC SALENA JONES

HI to all who took part in organising and attending!

Me and the wife had a superb time in sunny morecambe :thumbsup:

will post up a detailed review very shortly :thumbup:

Nev

Yes, that's the one. Thanks Nev. thumbsup.gif

https://download.yousendit.com/024746C342C885C3

www.diversityfm.co.uk

tonight 900pm

playlist

Clydene Jackson I need your love

Delegation One more step to take

Jerline and Friends Love Trip Part One

Mario Biondi This is what you are

Carolyn Crawford Nice Feeling

Kimiko Kasai Herbie Hancock I thought it was you

Joi Cardwell Let it go

Pretenders Just be yourself

Tommie Young Hit and Run Lover

Mel Britt She'll come running back

Masqueraders How big is big

Chuck Stephens Lets get nasty

Johnson Family Peace in the family

Presidents Its all over now

Guest Brett F

An outstanding weekend, I have a tight knit group of friends within the soul scene but this weekend I have added a whole lot more to that circle, musically it was as excellent as any of the other weekenders I have attended, people like Paul Thrower, Andy Lett, Sean O' Connor, Larry Longton, Steve Plumb (and all the Orwell guys), Shaun Robbins, Kevin Oxberry and the legendary Bob ..."The Crate Smith gave me a wants list as long as the front at Morecambe. Thanks people I had a ball...........But the stars of the weekend for me were the Wakefield Soul Club, Sweet creeping Jesus these are the type of folks you need for a party.WORLD CLASS, from beginning to end. Hell they even liked a few records I played.

Here is a selection of my records from the weekend..........

Odyssey...Battened Ships . Mo-West LP

Strutt....Said You didn't Love Me...Brunswick UK LP

Clydene Jackson .I Need Your Love ...Crossover LP

Bill Spoon.The One Who Really Loves You ..Henseforth 12Â

Spread Love.Here I Go....Sunstar LP

Odyysey 5.Peace Of Mind .BRC LP demo

Satisfaction Unlimited..Let's Change The Subject ....Hot Wax LP

Bilalian Creation..Save The Children.Californian Gold 12Â

The Terrible Frankie Nieves.True Love .Speed

Cornell Gunter..Love In Your Heart.Together

Aretha Franklin..April Fools..Atlantic

JR Bailey...Heaven On Earth...Toy

Luther Davis Group..You Can Be A Star..Life Time

Le Frank O'.Keep On Getting' On..MMM Gold

Vernon Steve Weakley.Is It Love Or Lust..VSW

Bernie Milton......60/40.....Chaton

Brad Lundy.........I Want To Share.....Lundy

Chet Davenport.Can't Get Over You...Toeholt

Dennis Lee....Sunday Afternoon.....Jenmark

Ron & Candy.Lovely Weekend..Inner City

Tuomo.....Don't Take It Too Hard.......Jupiter

Conner Reeves..Joy........? forgot label.doing this from memory.

Ujima...I'm Getting'Hip........Epic demo

F.J. Jones........Gone and Found Another...PS

Jesse Fisher.......Honey.So-Jamm

Just Bobby...I'm A Winner...R/R

Brenda Starr.......Satan Let me sleep tonight.Polydor demo

Carl Hall.......What About You......Columbia demo

Little Samson...Don't take Your Love....El D

Leon Thomas.......Love Each Other........Flying Dutchman.demo

Dolly Gilmore..........Sweet Sweet Baby.....Dove.....

Lynn Collins..........Wide Awake In A Dream.....People

And many more that I can't remember............

Well done Sean o' Connor .your of good stock.

Brett Franklin

Edited by Brett F
Guest Jamie

JR Bailey...Heaven On Earth...Toy

Best £5 double sider record in the world - bar none :wicked:

p.s. Shame I missed this one :thumbsup: heartbroken to be honest. Should keep my dick in my pants :rolleyes:

Edited by Jamie

Thanks to everyone who supported us last weekend

for a first attempt it went really well and we will be back next year

heres a quick review

hopefully the djs will proovide playlists

we had a great time

cheers sean

Sean! Fantastic weekend mate, sitting here friday night thinkin "lets do it again!!!) :thumbsup: Never have we spent a weekend so filled with soulful laughter! great music, good ale and in the company of such nice people! A big up to you an Jason for getting this together. Meeting so many people, to make a list seems so hard! but I'll try.... Ockers, Mr Bobbins (top bloke!), Bob The Crate, Gary, Kev Oxbury, Brett, Paul T & Janie, Andy, Dave (there's always a Daveor two! :yes: ) Charlie, Geoff C, Dave G, Zane & Fiona, and.... THE WAKEFIELD CITY SOUL CLUB!!! (these folks are unbelieveable!!! and we are defo comin to the Red Bar, Mr Handbury gonna sort it :thumbup: ) and I must mention our hosts at the York..... Mick & Lynn.... their hospitality was second to none!!!!

When we got up on Monday morning, I went into that back room in the York, and am sure the many football scarves on the walls were still dripping with SOUL! (told Mick we'd send him a Carlisle scarf to put up with the others, long as he dont hang it in the bogs for toilet roll!! :thumbsup: )

Tina trying to put a slide show together of the pics she took, we avin a prob doin it so we can send it up! ... any ideas Sean?)

Looking forward to the next one :yes:

Steve & Tina

here's playlists from sat sesh in Bath (boy had that place changed sinced I frequented it in the early 80's!) and the Sunday sesh in the York...

Sat afternoon The Bath (5pm til 6)

"If I Knew" - Fabulous Four - Saintmo

"Happy Days" - Magictones - Westbound

"Do You See My Love" - Jr Walker - Soul

"Ooh Boy" - Adorables - Golden World

"I Can Feel Him Slipping Away" - Mamie Lee - MGM

"If You Decide" Bull & Matadors - Toddlin Town

"If Youre Lonely" - Jesse James - 20th Cent

"What Have I Got Now" - Darrow Fletcher - Jacklyn

"Walkin By" - Boss Four - Rim

"See You When I Git There" - Lou Rawls - PI (request)

"If You Wanna Go Back" - Jean Carn - PI

"Love Has Joined Us Together" - Naturelles - Venture

"I Dont Believe In Losing" - Major IV - Venture

"Player Play On" - Norman Rickett - It

"Bring Me All Of Your Heartaches" Jackey Beavers - Grand Land

"You Need Me To Love You" - Billie Dearborn - Bell

"You Dont Need A Heart" - Teddy Randazzo - DCP

"I Never Loved Her Anyway" - Jimmy Beaumont - Bang

"Just Let it Happen" - Chi Chi - Kapp

Sun The York (7pm till 8)

"Its Everything About You" - Pretenders - Carnival

"Just To Be With You" - Bobby Dukes - Calla

"I Wouldnt Give You Up" - Ecstasy Passion & Pain" - Roulette

"I Cant Understand It " - Horace Faith - DJM

"Everything Man" - Main Ingredient - Power Exchange

"Daylight" - Bobby Womack - UA

"Aint No Woman" - Friends Of Distinction - RCA

"The Game Is Over" - Brown Sugar - Capitol

"Spring Rain" - Silvetti - Salsoul

"Im Always In The Mood" - Randy Brown - Parachute

"I Just Want To Fall In Love" - Spinners - Atlantic

"Whole Damn World Is Going Crazy" - John Gary Williams

"Prayin" - Harold Melvin - Source

"Just Because" - Pat & Blenders - Fast Eddie

"I Want To Hold Your Hand Baby" - Nancy Butts - Flaming Arrow

"Key In The Mailbox" - Susan Phillips - All Platinum

"Where Is That Rainbow" - Dee Dee Warwick - Mercury

"I Got What You Need" - Oscar Perry - Peritone

"Love Dont Come No Stronger" - Jeff Perry - Arista

"It Takes Heart" - Greg Perry - Alfa

Edited by Soul-Integrity
Guest soultempo

I'll just like to echo the sentiments of Brett & Steve ...

I have made at least 30(+) new friends for life as a result of attending this weekend ...

The music dropped by so many jocks was inspirational ... something for just about everyone ... :thumbsup:

I met so many 'super friendly' and 'genuine' folk ... which made the weekend so special!

Cannot wait for next year ... nice putting actual faces to so many names at last ... good meetin' you all ... shaun.

Oh and would just like to say Dont forget lads & lasses Carlisle Cassa Bar sunday night i know Charlie was onabout coming its on Sunday night from 8pm - 4am mini nighter, if you like somet a bit diff this is the place, hope you can make it ...... Sue

HERE GOES......

FIRSTLY I HAVE TO SAY ,TO PUT ON AN EVENT OF THIS PROPORTION HAS TO BE APPLAUDED :wicked:

A "FREE" WEEKEND OF SOUL IN SO MANY DIFFERENT VENUES ,CATERING FOR DIFFERENT TASTES IS A MONSTROUS TASK BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION .

IVE ONLY BEEN TO ONE OTHER AND THAT WAS IN DUBLIN(SLEEPLESS NIGHTS).THE DIFFERENCE IS DUBLIN IS ,TO BE FAIR,NOT AS PACKED WITH SOUL EVENTS(COMPETITION) AS THE WEST COUNTRY AND IS NOT A FREEBIE!

THE FACT THAT THERE WAS A BUS TO THE ORWELL AND NO OTHER EVENT ON IN MORECAMBE ON THE FRIDAY MEANS THEY DIDNT WANT TO SPOIL OR CLASH WITH OTHERS(UNSELFISH OR WHAT)!

THERE WERE TWO BIG ALNIGHTERS ON IN THE SAME WEEKEND ,BUT STILL THE NUMBERS WERE GOOD AND THE ATMOSPHERE GREAT.

SURE THE KINGS ARMS SATURDAY WAS NOT FULL BUT IM SURE THE LADS WILL IRON OUT ANY LITTLE GLITCHES FOR THE NEXT ONE.BY THE WAY THE KINGS ARMS WAS A FANTASTIC VENUE FOR ANY SOUL NIGHT(SUPERB ROOM AND DANCEFLOOR).

A PLUS FOR ME WAS I PROBABLY WOULD'NT HAVE VENTURED INTO A SOUL/JAZZ/FUNK VENUE ,PREFERRING 60s/70s CROSOVER ,BUT BECAUSE IT WAS FIRST STOP FROM HOTEL AND FREE I DID.I ACTUALLY ENJOYED SOME GOOD SOUNDS .

MOVING ONTO THE BATH HOTEL.WHAT A NICE LITTLE VENUE THIS IS.ME &THE WIFE DID'NT KNOW ANYONE WHEN WE WALKED IN ( TEA TIME SATURDAY).WITHIN HALF AN HR WE WERE CHATTING TO EVERYONE &UP DANCING .FANTASTIC DOWN TO EARTH PEOPLE AND DEFINITELY NO POLITICS ,JUST GOOD TRADITIONAL SOUL .MET SOME GREAT SOULIE'S FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE AND THEY ALL KNEW HOW TO PARTY!SPECIAL MENTION TO THE GUYS FROM SALWICK AND THERE PARTNERS AND DJ SIMON LEIGH AND HIS LOVELY PARTNER.

A BITE TO EAT AND ON THE WAY UP TO THE FLAGSHIP VENUE "THE UPPY DOWNY" AKA THE SEASIDE SOUL CLUB.WOW WHAT A GREAT VENUE.IT WAS PRETTY FULL WHEN WE ARIVED AND THE MUSIC ,I HAVE TO SAY WAS TOP DRAWER.ESPECIALLY ENJOYED LISTENING AND DANCING TO ROMAN'S SET EARLY ON (SOME GREAT CHOONS!)

SHAUN ROBBINS &BOB SMITH SUPERB ALSO ,INFACT IT WAS TOP DRAWER ALL NIGHT.AMAZING TO SEE SO MANY YOUNGER PEOPLE AT A VENUE .I RECKON THESE YOUNGUNS ARE LOCALS WHO PREFER THIS TO ANY LOCAL NIGHT CLUB OR LATE BAR AND FAIR PLAY THEY LOVE THE MUSIC ON OFFER AND KNOW HOW TO STRUT THEIR STUFF.

GREAT TO HEAR "HANGING ON TO A LIE" AND" FIFTEEN CENT LOVE" ,THATS THE KINDA CHOONS THIS PLACE PROVIDES :shades:thumbsup.gif

SADLY THE DRINK AND THE OLD WEARY BONES WERE TAKING THERE TOLL SO WE HAD TO BAIL OUT AT 2AM ,MISSED SEAN O'CONNER BUT WISHED I HAD'NT WHEN I SEEN HIS PLAYLIST :angry:

GOT UP SUNDAY WITH A THICK HEAD ,MISSED BREAKFAST ,SO HAD TO GO TO TRUSTY MORRISONS(ALL DAY BREAKFAST).TOOK A LONG STROLL ALONG THE FRONT ,WENT TO VISIT WIFE'S AUNTY, WHO LIVES IN SUNNY MORECAMBE AND THE TIME WENT.SADLY WE DIDNT GET TO ANY SUNDAY VENUE BUT TOTALLY ENJOYED SATURDAY AND WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK NEXT YEAR ,BARRING ANY UNFORSEEN PROBLEM!

I PERSONALLY THINK THIS WILL ONLY GET BETTER AND DESERVEDLY SO :D:D:lol:

WELL DONE TO ALL PROMOTERS AND DJ'S FOR PUTTING ON A TOP WEEKEND

NEV&JO

:no:

HERE GOES......

FIRSTLY I HAVE TO SAY ,TO PUT ON AN EVENT OF THIS PROPORTION HAS TO BE APPLAUDED :(

A "FREE" WEEKEND OF SOUL IN SO MANY DIFFERENT VENUES ,CATERING FOR DIFFERENT TASTES IS A MONSTROUS TASK BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION .

IVE ONLY BEEN TO ONE OTHER AND THAT WAS IN DUBLIN(SLEEPLESS NIGHTS).THE DIFFERENCE IS DUBLIN IS ,TO BE FAIR,NOT AS PACKED WITH SOUL EVENTS(COMPETITION) AS THE WEST COUNTRY AND IS NOT A FREEBIE!

THE FACT THAT THERE WAS A BUS TO THE ORWELL AND NO OTHER EVENT ON IN MORECAMBE ON THE FRIDAY MEANS THEY DIDNT WANT TO SPOIL OR CLASH WITH OTHERS(UNSELFISH OR WHAT)!

THERE WERE TWO BIG ALNIGHTERS ON IN THE SAME WEEKEND ,BUT STILL THE NUMBERS WERE GOOD AND THE ATMOSPHERE GREAT.

SURE THE KINGS ARMS SATURDAY WAS NOT FULL BUT IM SURE THE LADS WILL IRON OUT ANY LITTLE GLITCHES FOR THE NEXT ONE.BY THE WAY THE KINGS ARMS WAS A FANTASTIC VENUE FOR ANY SOUL NIGHT(SUPERB ROOM AND DANCEFLOOR).

A PLUS FOR ME WAS I PROBABLY WOULD'NT HAVE VENTURED INTO A SOUL/JAZZ/FUNK VENUE ,PREFERRING 60s/70s CROSOVER ,BUT BECAUSE IT WAS FIRST STOP FROM HOTEL AND FREE I DID.I ACTUALLY ENJOYED SOME GOOD SOUNDS .

MOVING ONTO THE BATH HOTEL.WHAT A NICE LITTLE VENUE THIS IS.ME &THE WIFE DID'NT KNOW ANYONE WHEN WE WALKED IN ( TEA TIME SATURDAY).WITHIN HALF AN HR WE WERE CHATTING TO EVERYONE &UP DANCING .FANTASTIC DOWN TO EARTH PEOPLE AND DEFINITELY NO POLITICS ,JUST GOOD TRADITIONAL SOUL .MET SOME GREAT SOULIE'S FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE AND THEY ALL KNEW HOW TO PARTY!SPECIAL MENTION TO THE GUYS FROM SALWICK AND THERE PARTNERS AND DJ SIMON LEIGH AND HIS LOVELY PARTNER.

A BITE TO EAT AND ON THE WAY UP TO THE FLAGSHIP VENUE "THE UPPY DOWNY" AKA THE SEASIDE SOUL CLUB.WOW WHAT A GREAT VENUE.IT WAS PRETTY FULL WHEN WE ARIVED AND THE MUSIC ,I HAVE TO SAY WAS TOP DRAWER.ESPECIALLY ENJOYED LISTENING AND DANCING TO ROMAN'S SET EARLY ON (SOME GREAT CHOONS!)

SHAUN ROBBINS &BOB SMITH SUPERB ALSO ,INFACT IT WAS TOP DRAWER ALL NIGHT.AMAZING TO SEE SO MANY YOUNGER PEOPLE AT A VENUE .I RECKON THESE YOUNGUNS ARE LOCALS WHO PREFER THIS TO ANY LOCAL NIGHT CLUB OR LATE BAR AND FAIR PLAY THEY LOVE THE MUSIC ON OFFER AND KNOW HOW TO STRUT THEIR STUFF.

GREAT TO HEAR "HANGING ON TO A LIE" AND" FIFTEEN CENT LOVE" ,THATS THE KINDA CHOONS THIS PLACE PROVIDES :shades::thumbsup:

SADLY THE DRINK AND THE OLD WEARY BONES WERE TAKING THERE TOLL SO WE HAD TO BAIL OUT AT 2AM ,MISSED SEAN O'CONNER BUT WISHED I HAD'NT WHEN I SEEN HIS PLAYLIST :angry:

GOT UP SUNDAY WITH A THICK HEAD ,MISSED BREAKFAST ,SO HAD TO GO TO TRUSTY MORRISONS(ALL DAY BREAKFAST).TOOK A LONG STROLL ALONG THE FRONT ,WENT TO VISIT WIFE'S AUNTY, WHO LIVES IN SUNNY MORECAMBE AND THE TIME WENT.SADLY WE DIDNT GET TO ANY SUNDAY VENUE BUT TOTALLY ENJOYED SATURDAY AND WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK NEXT YEAR ,BARRING ANY UNFORSEEN PROBLEM!

I PERSONALLY THINK THIS WILL ONLY GET BETTER AND DESERVEDLY SO :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

WELL DONE TO ALL PROMOTERS AND DJ'S FOR PUTTING ON A TOP WEEKEND

NEV&JO

Nev

fantastic review and looking forward to see you and Jo back for 2008

we will make some changes so we have it spot on with venues

many thanks for those kind words it really makes it all worthwhile

we had a lot of fun didnt we what with those youtube videos and laughs all weekend

will be free again in 2008 and hopefully bigger and better

keep in touch mate

ill be at carleton inn may and august gigs

sorry you missed my set but can understand it was a hell of a party from th emoment we got on coach to orwell to 1120pm on th esunday night

cheers sean

:thumbsup:

Source Advert