jumpinjoan's profile photo

Leicester Oddfellows

Northern Soul Yesterdays jumpinjoan

Posted

Nice one Mick.......I think I have one but it was cut up and collaged back in the day...........anyway, I've "righted" them........

post-4568-011538000 1284379329_thumb.jpg

post-4568-073774400 1284379354_thumb.jpg

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Guest leicester80s\
Posted

hi how years have gone by blimey 80-s what a allnighter great mix off sounds catered for every one ! big hi to leicester scooter lads

dave wheeler andy tedd etc daz andy newman what happened to panda? great memorirs and dancing and a great time

chad [ ray]

soul source url
Guest leicester80s\
Posted

hi how years have gone by blimey 80-s what a allnighter great mix off sounds catered for every one ! big hi to leicester scooter lads

dave wheeler andy tedd etc daz andy newman what happened to panda? great memorirs and dancing and a great time

chad [ ray]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Yamc_Mn7U

soul source url
Posted

Does anybody out there remember LEICESTER ODFELLOWS allniter??

I can't believe the amount of people that look at me like i've lost the plot when i ask if they went there!!

Ok ..... lost the plot years ago ..... but this was a MASSIVE NITER & can't understand why nobody ever mentions it!

Joan,i rememeber you at my nights at the Barrel organ in 85 and Notts palais/bali hai room the same year.

The leicester oddfellows dancewas so packed(sardines) ,Joan, you were at all the big niters back then.

soul source url
Posted

Just wanted to let you all know there is an Oddfellows reunion booked in Leicester at the original Nottingham Oddfellows Club venue that the nighters were held at in the 1980's. The date is bank holiday Sunday May 25th 2014, and it will run from 8pm - 2am in 3 rooms (although we are trying to start from 5pm -  to allow everybody to catch up early doors but are waiting to have that confirmed.) To date 6 original DJ's are booked with a little bit more to do in that area. Finalised details will be posted up soon regarding tickets and confirmed times etc. The challenge will be to connect with all of the guys who used to attend and make them aware of the event as the numbers allowed in by the club are a lot less than what I expect will want to attend. I will update S.S. over the next week or so, but please PM me, email me; ally.mayer@pyrint.com or call 07971 596679, if you have any questions, regards  Ally Mayer

soul source url
Posted

Does anybody know/remember the name of the "Scooter-Guy" from the west midlands,who djay'd at the Oddfellows ? :g:

Thanks if you can ! :hatsoff2:

(It's been drivin' me daft trying to recall his name... :unsure: even Rudzi can't remember him :ohmy:)

soul source url
Posted

Was it Clive Jones? I'm not 100% certain he was on but we did have a policy of changing guest DJ's every month. Clive had a great collection and was a popular DJ back then.

Ally

soul source url
Posted

Any one remember a bloke at odd fellows called stacey got drummed out of the army because of his excessive northern souling , or curley from hinkley , wickid dancer

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Was it Clive Jones? I'm not 100% certain he was on but we did have a policy of changing guest DJ's every month. Clive had a great collection and was a popular DJ back then.

Ally

My immediate thought was Clive Jones, but I didn't recall him DJ'ing at Oddfellows.

Ally, gotta ask you.....was your stall just inside the indoor market called "Oddity Records"?  It's so long ago that I can't recall exactly, but used to love visits to Leicester to your stall and Rudzi's place!  Lot's of my early 45's, and possibly LP's, came from you guys!  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R

soul source url
Posted

Any one remember a bloke at odd fellows called stacey got drummed out of the army because of his excessive northern souling , or curley from hinkley , wickid dancer

Do you mean Curly from Notts?

Peter

soul source url
Posted

Was he west indian

soul source url
Posted

With mad blond bits in his hair oh and wore a huge crombie

soul source url
Posted

Was he west indian

Tall skinny black fella. Always smiling - lovely lad.

Led the line out side Odd Fellows one night when it all kicked off.

Peter

soul source url
Posted

Was he west indian

Here you go Karl

soul source url
Posted

With mad blond bits in his hair oh and wore a huge crombie

Can't remember Curley having blond bits; probably best way you'd remember him is that he would had a quid out of you at some point  :D

If you watch the Oddfellows vid he's one of the black guys in the dance comp. 

soul source url
Posted

Can't remember Curley having blond bits; probably best way you'd remember him is that he would had a quid out of you at some point  :D

If you watch the Oddfellows vid he's one of the black guys in the dance comp. 

And a fag whilst he was counting the quid!

Ay up Byrney - hope yer well mate.

Peter

soul source url
Posted

Yes when i said blond i meant gingery bits yes used to share medicinal compounds with him at oddfellows and hinkley a good lad indeed had some top laughs with my mate addie and him he used to dance like a cat about to spring a real prowler , is he still around allways tried to persuade him to come to the 100 club he never did ,

talking of notts does any one remember seven inch sid , (no nothing to do with the size of his appendage ) used to go to notts palay

soul source url
Posted

Joan,i rememeber you at my nights at the Barrel organ in 85 and Notts palais/bali hai room the same year.The leicester oddfellows dancewas so packed(sardines) ,Joan, you were at all the big niters back then.

Hi ya :wave:

I was like a bad smell back then, still am lol

Definitely up for a reunion, nice one Ally

ps: anyone remember Jimmy Elder?

soul source url
Posted

Hi Mark, yes that was my record business back then "Oddity Records". Make sure you introduce yourself to me if you make it to the reunion.

Ally

soul source url
Posted

Hi Karl, I remember Stacey - he was as mad as a box of frogs - but nice lad. I am sure if you get onto Jane's  "I went to the Nottingham Oddfellows nighters" Facebook tribute page somebody will know his whereabouts.

Ally

soul source url
Posted
well know old tony ( curley ) cerlew well one of notts brighter characters lol we travelled every  where together back then massive Nottingham posse  .ALI  WILL MR DARGE BE IN ATTENDANCE ????? be good to see him back behind the oddfellow decks along with MR RUSHBROOK :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  

soul source url
Posted

Speedlimit, I've messaged KEB  -waiting to hear back, and trying to get hold of Gary so to anybody out there I would appreciate a Mob number or email for Gary to be PM'd if possible?

Ally

soul source url
Posted

Yes stacey was totally cool , oddfellows was my favourite nighter loved it and wirrina / st ives as well they were the dogs for me

soul source url
Posted

Ally

Thanks a bunch :hatsoff2: yeah,that was him. An absolute top,top,NS-collector guy.No pretentiousness with him.He was friendly,modest,and played every request I asked for.He had the best collection of TOP RARE NS I ever seen in my humble life.And it was a real pleasure to meet him and look in awe through his boxes.He was an avid British collector though,and sadly kept going on about his latest (Brit) aquisitions,I can't recall now what they were,he had a box load -but I recall his northern all right...as JM would say : "JAW-DROPPING" :ohmy: and awsome beyond belief.He had everything.Whatever happened to him? How often was he on at the Odds? I only saw him that one time there.But I have never forgotten,and I never will. :no:

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Thanks a bunch :hatsoff2: yeah,that was him. An absolute top,top,NS-collector guy.No pretentiousness with him.He was friendly,modest,and played every request I asked for.He had the best collection of TOP RARE NS I ever seen in my humble life.And it was a real pleasure to meet him and look in awe through his boxes.He was an avid British collector though,and sadly kept going on about his latest (Brit) aquisitions,I can't recall now what they were,he had a box load -but I recall his northern all right...as JM would say : "JAW-DROPPING" :ohmy: and awsome beyond belief.He had everything.Whatever happened to him? How often was he on at the Odds? I only saw him that one time there.But I have never forgotten,and I never will. :no:

Hope nobody minds this here...........not Oddfellows, but I can't resist making someone's day 'cos I know exactly how good it feels myself when someone shares these things..........the following uploaded a few months ago from one of my old tapes..........

https://www.mixcloud.com/soulboymark/hinckley-leisure-centre-all-niter-live-december-1983/

Clive Jones, from 38:42 after Brian Rae to 1:08:16 where Dave Evison takes over.

Enjoy!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R

soul source url
Posted

Speedlimit, I've messaged KEB  -waiting to hear back, and trying to get hold of Gary so to anybody out there I would appreciate a Mob number or email for Gary to be PM'd if possible?

Ally

Chris Waterman is in regular contact with Gary., if you can't get hold of either let me know Ally.

soul source url
Posted

Thanks Chalky, 

soul source url
Guest soulovereasy\
Posted (edited)

Im new to this forum lark so ill expand on my leicester memories. We used to travel from worcester/pershore Ginge, Little John ,and myself .A shout out to the cheltenham lot julie, Bev , Ricky Brown,Myles, Graham and Debbie. My regards to Curly, Tommo and Sandy , John Begni and the rest of the nottingham crew. A special mention to Mark im the one in the snorkel parker Freeman from nuneaton how are ya mate. I also was in the 2nd anniversary video with tommo, curly,Potsy et al in the dance competition, im the one in the grey Grandad shirt nearly oding to "time", im also caught having a stomp to Gladys Knights The Stranger.Anyone remember the fight withthe skinheads whlst in the queue to get in. Favorite sounds Ray Charles No Doctor, Bobby Hebb You want to change me. A quick hello to Jon Buck and Sue remember me from Yate and Leighton buzzard Regards Davec

aye up mr cain how r u pal? u were a brill stomper ! hope u still got the moves?, c u at the reunion atb tommo.

Edited by soulovereasy

soul source url
Guest soulovereasy\
Posted

Please do...also ..didnt the Record Mirror do an article in 1982/3 about Northern featuring the Oddfellows Club...anybody remember that????...if so can someone post it up please....tia...Delxxxx

ive still got the magazine del they took a big foto of me although I never gave em time for an interview,too busy dancing lol x.

soul source url
Guest soulovereasy\
Posted

Here you go Karl

yep that's curly alrite class dancer ... mad as a hatter,last time I see him was at a charity do in st ANNS, Nottingham about 3 yrs ago still got it ...

soul source url
Guest soulovereasy\
Posted

Tall skinny black fella. Always smiling - lovely lad.

Led the line out side Odd Fellows one night when it all kicked off.

Peter

think it was curly? I came a bit later on, curly and shippo RIP was involved along with others as they couldn't wait to tell me lol...

soul source url
Posted

think it was curly? I came a bit later on, curly and shippo RIP was involved along with others as they couldn't wait to tell me lol...

Oh it was Curly. :yes:

Yep, Shippo was there too - amongst numerous others. I had a ford capreeee ghia at the time and the same night someone undid me wheel nuts - but that's an entirely different story.

Peter

:thumbsup:

soul source url
Posted

yo tommo see ya at the reunion all we need is stevie potts for the dance contest reunion lol

atb steve phillis

soul source url
Guest soulovereasy\
Posted

==========

i would love to see tommo again...used to be everywhere in the 80's !

am I spain a the mo but will be back in time for the reunion atb tommo...

soul source url
Guest soulovereasy\
Posted

Is this what you're talking about??

attachicon.gifPICT0017.JPG

attachicon.gifPICT0018.JPG

Mick

and as you know mr howard that sure is me stuck in that big picture lol hope ur ok up there in bonnie Scotland...

soul source url
Guest soulovereasy\
Posted

yo tommo see ya at the reunion all we need is stevie potts for the dance contest reunion lol

atb steve phillis

look forward steve will be good fun am sure mate ... don't think potties mrs would let him venture out of cotgrave? lol

soul source url
Posted

:rofl:  :rofl:

Oh it was Curly. :yes:

Yep, Shippo was there too - amongst numerous others. I had a ford capreeee ghia at the time and the same night someone undid me wheel nuts - but that's an entirely different story.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Yep, that's about right. All over by the time I'd skipped over doing my 18 year old 'football lad' cocky walk 

soul source url
Posted

:rofl:  :rofl:

Yep, that's about right. All over by the time I'd skipped over doing my 18 year old 'football lad' cocky walk 

:D

soul source url
Posted

Theres some names from the past. Was at the anniversary with Tommo (Notts) Curley, Lynn from Eastwood, Tommy Cragg, along with a baby faced Kitch, Shippo(RIP), Alf, Jenny .... a good 20 odd mob of Notts lot out that night. I look at myself in the video and I look like a 10 year old with facial hair!!

Also travelled a few times with Tommo to Clifton Hall - one good lad.

I haven't seem Curley for years, again what a lad.

I can remember the kick off before the nighter, an unprovoked attack on the queue as I saw it, it wasn't just skinheads but a mix, some rockabilly types in there if I remember. One lad in a leather trench coat with a tash (I won't go there) was particularly active in dispatching the attackers.

Joan -

Saw Haley at both mine and Kitch's 40th Birthdays and at Teffs wedding -top girl on top form. Woody pops over and sees her from time to time she and the young uns doing fine tongue.png

Just spotted this on said altercation.

think we need Phill Worrell out for this :)

soul source url
Guest soulovereasy\
Posted

just spent the last hour or so browsing over the messages on here, as its been said already but would like to add my own view, ODD fellows was a fantastic venue,excellant attendance gr8 djs and wonderful crowd,my first trip there was with joanne French and paul whiteman,id not been to an all nighter for about 4/5 yrs,i remember queing up outside and the music blasting out!!! from my first night I fell in love with the place,not too far from Nottingham so nottm soulies always well represented there,am currently out in spain til may as im organising a week of northern soul called IVE GOT SOMETHING GOOD its on the up and coming weekenders page if any of you are interested? anyway really looking forward to seeing ginger dave n dave cain,hopefully mick howard might pop down?i will remember my little pal Kenny RIP, and me mates from Nottingham,long eaton and surrounding areas atb tommo.

soul source url
Posted

Yes stacey was totally cool , oddfellows was my favourite nighter loved it and wirrina / st ives as well they were the dogs for me

Hi Karl, You can touch base with Stacey on Facebook via "Sally Stacey" lives in Redditch, from Tewkesbury. Sally is Ian's wife and she has joined the FB tribute page.

Ally

soul source url

Northern Soul Yesterdays - Source Forum

Northern soul days gone forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.