Otis Brown And The Delights - Southside Chicago - Ole

Whats the current value of this gem?

Never seen many copies of it around, yet according to Robert Pruters "Chicago Soul" book, it was a minor hit in the city, suggesting there must be plenty around??

Also love the flip "ive got another" reminds me a bit of Dusty Wilson - Tragedy

Any help appreciated

Gaz

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Never seen many copies of it around, yet according to Robert Pruters "Chicago Soul" book, it was a minor hit in the city, suggesting there must be plenty around??

Any help appreciated

Gaz

Gaz, I've had this record for years, my copy is pretty battered but plays well which would suggest it was well played in it's place of origin being a minor hit as you say, I think is pretty hard to find a clean copy and I would think due to it's quality that this one is tucked away in collections and is not often up for sale...value who knows? JM i'm sure will advise here, has to be a couple of hundred quid??

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Gaz, I've had this record for years, my copy is pretty battered but plays well which would suggest it was well played in it's place of origin being a minor hit as you say, I think is pretty hard to find a clean copy and I would think due to it's quality that this one is tucked away in collections and is not often up for sale...value who knows? JM i'm sure will advise here, has to be a couple of hundred quid??

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Have seen around for as much as £300 (clean copy), certainly rarely shows up.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Does not suprise me, I guess I was grading mine, even in the condition mines in I would not let it go for less than £200.00 but not selling so there....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I missed a badly listed one on Ebay around 6 months ago - mint and went for around £60 ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Bugger...I bet you were P****d off...like you say not often up for sale so a tuff record.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I was, but it serves me right for being a tight old sod laugh.gif

Social source share

Any help appreciated

Gaz

Record does not turn up. There are 2 versions of the label also, one with the nice looking OLE logo and another with just block OLE print. The block OLE print one is much harder.

Social source share

The big boss man Mike plays this regularly... never known him to sell anything though!

My friend Richard Murray (who some of the people here who occasionally go to Chicago might know) says that he sang on the southside chicago side, he's not a singer and said Otis just got a bunch of guys that were standing around to do the backup. Apparently there is a real group on the flip. No one I've talked to knows what happened to Otis (e.g. not other people I know who did stuff on Ole, not people who were involved with Expectmore / Lujuna, etc).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert