Carrie Cleveland

Guest fifesoul

yes. there is two takes on the same label .one is slightly slower version

LIFELINE ALLNIGHTER

SAT 27TH OCTOBER

YE OLD BELL HOTEL .RETFORD NOTTS

Edited by ruppy
Social source share

The promo has the better mix, the issue & the LP have the inferior (IMO) mix. A clutch turned up this year that a US dealer got from Carrie, unfortunately most were the stock copies with only a few of the Promos............I spoke with Carrie earlier this year (thanks Trev) & she confirmed all the copies she had were now gone.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest Trevski

The demo's are the ones to have. Issues have the dodgy organ upfront. I have the demo,as I heard that first, then got an issue, realised the difference, returned it and fortunatly got a demo from the guy who got 'em from Carrie. He told me there were a handful of demos only, and about 100 issues as it was a totaly 'home-made" job, privately financed by Carrie herself. They had the demo's made, didn't like the mix :thumbsup:  and remastered it for the stockers. Big mistake, IMHO! The album version is almost reggae sounding, much slower and completly different from the 45 versions. I personaly LOVE the promo mix! Lovely clean sound with nice choppy guitar and chimes. Probably much rarer than some 'big ticket' rarities too! yes.gif

Here are both promo copy sides.

Make_love_to_me.mp3

I_need_love.mp3

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

The promo has the better mix, the issue & the LP have the inferior (IMO) mix. A clutch turned up this year that a US dealer got from Carrie, unfortunately most were the stock copies with only a few of the Promos............I spoke with Carrie earlier this year (thanks Trev) & she confirmed all the copies she had were now gone.

Hope this helps.

Russ

I bought my LP and single from him, he has a shop on Haight street in San Fransisco called Soul Merchant just down from Ricky ricardo's... really nice guy as well...

Nice meeting you Friday Russ..

Mal.C.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Wait there, I have a blue Issue I presume, its deffo not the version on the Lp so how do we explain that? cause it does not say promo and is the tracks Trevski put up??

Mal:)

The blue issue and promo look similar, apart from the promo bit on the left side. Sounds exactly the same EXCEPT the organ is brought forward in the mix on the issue, so it is like dueting with her, if you get me. The promo has the organ further back in the mix and you can hear the nice vibes/chimes instead. The LPversion is completly different, slower, with a reggae style mix. Not heard of any issues with the same mix as the promo's.

I have posted the promo mix. If you go here-

https://www.recordmania.net/index.php?PHPSE...=search_records

You can hear the issue and LP mixes to compare.

Giles Peterson has included the promo mix on a new compilation CD. Part of the review is below

Ubiquity persuaded GP to dig up another collection of rare groove gems and once again the BBC radio host, disk jockey and collector extraordinaire (a spare house just for rekids only, anyone?) shares us some of the delights selected out of his Brownswood basement down in London and picked up (or mostly given by?) on his recent visits through the USA and Canada.

Take for example Carrie Cleveland’s late 70s ballad “Make Love To Me”. Produced by her husband Bill Cleveland, this song, in its original form, was pressed up as a demo but eventually never saw an official release. Sadly enough, a newer version of the single (with added bizarre organ sound) got released, but didn’t quite compare to the original demo version, as it often goes. Later on Carrie Cleveland released a less memorable private pressing album by the name “Looking Up” on Cleve-Den Productions, also containing the inferior mix of “Make Love To Me”.

post-1355-1193136450_thumb.jpg Issue scan.

post-1355-1193136479_thumb.jpgPromo scan

Note: Promo's are BC-1510-A

Issues are BC-1511-A

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

The blue issue and promo look the same, apart from the promo bit on the left side. Sounds exactly the same EXCEPT the organ is brought forward in the mix on the issue, so it is like dueting with her, if you get me. The promo has the organ further back in the mix and you can hear the nice vibes/chimes instead. The LPversion is completly different, slower, with a reggae style mix. Not heard of any issues with the same mix as the promo's.

I have posted the promo mix. If you go here-

https://www.recordmania.net/index.php?PHPSE...=search_records

You can hear the issue and LP mixes to compare.

Giles Peterson has included the promo mix on a new compilation CD. Part of the review is below

Ubiquity persuaded GP to dig up another collection of rare groove gems and once again the BBC radio host, disk jockey and collector extraordinaire (a spare house just for rekids only, anyone?) shares us some of the delights selected out of his Brownswood basement down in London and picked up (or mostly given by?) on his recent visits through the USA and Canada.

Take for example Carrie Cleveland's late 70s ballad "Make Love To Me". Produced by her husband Bill Cleveland, this song, in its original form, was pressed up as a demo but eventually never saw an official release. Sadly enough, a newer version of the single (with added bizarre organ sound) got released, but didn't quite compare to the original demo version, as it often goes. Later on Carrie Cleveland released a less memorable private pressing album by the name "Looking Up" on Cleve-Den Productions, also containing the inferior mix of "Make Love To Me".

Thats interesting cause when I bought my LP and 45 from Chris at Groove Merchant in Sept 05, he said he was expecting Giles to come over as he was in town.. the rest is History as they say!!

Mal:)

Social source share

the producer from the CC records also did Hosie Bee who released an LP and 45 that was released before the CC and has a much better sound. I have another CC 45 on Big C Records "Take A Moment/Ive Got A Feeling" which was produced by Bill and Elijah Cole. very nice soul!

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Ha! I left a stock copy in a shop last weekend as I thought it wasn't in the same league as the promo mix...which leads, and all rather neatly, to current valuations on both please...just in case I have to return to the shop in a hurry!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Ha! I left a stock copy in a shop last weekend as I thought it wasn't in the same league as the promo mix...which leads, and all rather neatly, to current valuations on both please...just in case I have to return to the shop in a hurry!

:thumbsup:

I would go back and get it Flynny , it will do until you get one with less of the Rolf Harris effect:) look at Brenda Jones and the twangy guitar ... we have all grown to accept the twangs now :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's wired that this ever got an issue. The chap I bought mine off in San Francisco said that when he went to visit Carrie she told him she did not like the record, well not that particular cut on the 45, hense it never went past promo copies. My guess is her husband Bill Cleveland and co producer Norris Snowden are the reason for it.

Ahhh... Just read Daves post, so the issue is the cut from the lp? That explains things...

Malcolm

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Which was Cris at groove merchant...

Maybe another thread but while we are in San Francisco, I just got a Columbus Recorders Acetate of Rick Baker - thats called love, double sided as is the released version, interesting thing, wondered if anybody knows much about Rick, and Columbus Recorders?

Mal

post-2025-0-10913600-1346447134_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!