Sorting My Collection, Some Advise Please

Guest Adrian

Well I got 3 days hols from work too take before christmas, wife is working so I plan to spend it enjoying some 'pleasures' and sorting my collection.

Basically cleaning everything and resleeving as needed etc all matching protective sleeves etc, can anyone give me so pros and cons too:

What type of protective sleeves for my lps? The plastic bag type or PVC? I have noticed that PVC sleeves can sometime stick to the shrink if they are on the lps..but seem abit better when shelved.

What you reckon for 45's? new paper sleeve then into a card one is what I'm thinking. I have had some paper sleeves that are bigger than card sleeve so any pointers as to where to get them?

I know covers33, anymore recommendations?

Then it will just be how to file em, artist, label, genre...christs knows!

any advice would be great, cheers!

Adrian

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Adrian

Filing your records is great topic for debate. Alot depends on how many you've got but for me I file mine by city/region that way you can keep labels together, therefore I have New York, Detroit/Motown, Windy City, Philadelphia, West Coast, Southern States shelves as well as shelves headed up as Deep Soul, 70's Soulful dance, 80's Independent Soul, UK label, Major label.

Whichever way you cut it there will always be certain records that could go anywhere so I've got a misc section aswell.

Lp's are just straightforward alphabetical, 12's haven't got round to it yet.

Enjoy sorting 'em

Pat

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Always gone for the alphabeticaly by label system, rather than genre etc.

Print sticky labels with:

Label

Artist

Title

then put 'em on the top L/H corner of the sleeve. easy to flick thru' in the box then.

Social source share

I like the Piles approach. Pile of maybe tunes, pile of nearly in the play box, Pile that I must file some time, pile I just got. Go through them every now and again, always find a suprise, just like having a U.S. record store at home :D

Yet to suffer from piles myself...there's plenty of time though I guess :D

The answer to the question depends on quantity. Most file alphabetically or by label. I'm an alpha male myself. Someday it'll be more complex than tha I'm sure.

Social source share

now this thread is a bit anorak ish..if my mrs reads this shes gonna take the p....

ive tried all different ways....genre,play out /play home,old/new,orig/reissue,us/uk etc...lables ok when you got loads on a lable...i stil find the best way is alphabetical..full stop...its the only way you can go almost straight to a tune and not spend hours flicking through and starting to panic thinkin youve lost one or its been pinched !!

Social source share

now this thread is a bit anorak ish..if my mrs reads this shes gonna take the p....

I actually did ask the misses what protective sleeves I should get and how I should file em, the reply of 'How the F*!k should I know' was swiftly recieved.

thanks for the replys, any thoughts on what plastic sleeves are best from experience? I fear I'm over complicating this....... :D

Social source share

I actually did ask the misses what protective sleeves I should get and how I should file em, the reply of 'How the F*!k should I know' was swiftly recieved.

thanks for the replys, any thoughts on what plastic sleeves are best from experience? I fear I'm over complicating this....... :thumbsup:

I really liked the 7" cardboard sleeves with the poly lining and the colours up each side. Strong cardboard but the poly lining stopped those sleeve scratches caused by pulling out the record from rough card. Used to buy them in Smiths high street stores then by mail order by the hundred. I have not been able to get any of this type for years now and am running out of stock, I have been told that nowhere in the world makes this type of sleeve anymore so am buying poly lined paper sleeves and puting them into card.

Social source share

Guest mark shepherd

starting with - 60s slow / mid / up tempo

x- over slow / mid / up tempo

70s slow / mid / up tempo

modern slow / mid / up tempo

take the box out to DJ

get lashed in the process

then sort it all out again on sunday from the mayhem that was saturday nite

shep

Social source share

I really liked the 7" cardboard sleeves with the poly lining and the colours up each side. Strong cardboard but the poly lining stopped those sleeve scratches caused by pulling out the record from rough card. Used to buy them in Smiths high street stores then by mail order by the hundred. I have not been able to get any of this type for years now and am running out of stock, I have been told that nowhere in the world makes this type of sleeve anymore so am buying poly lined paper sleeves and puting them into card.

had the same problem all my singles collected in the 70s were in sleeves you mentioned above now ive started buying again can i fcuk some kind soul on here sent me a load of used ones but im struggling again now alphabetically in a book mine are, not got round to listing on computer yet

kev

Social source share

The Very Same with my Collection. :thumbsup:

AARGGHH!!! Sticky 'things' on 45s OR sleeves!!?? ARRGGH!!!

Records should be file ad hoc in a pristine colored inner sleeve. No writing or stickers on ANYTHING, label or sleeve and then placed lovingly in a white cardboard sleeve which should also be devoid of any 'trashy" markings. It goes without saying that all labels should be completely upright within both sleeves. That way eveytime you dig something out - you find stuff you forgot you had! It is however, permissable to have various colors for the inner sleeve if you feel you need to hang on to some semblence of order.ie

US Demos RED

UK Demos GREEN

Anything more diverse than is a no no. :no::thumbsup::g:

You may if you desire place Spindles/Spyders in the US DEMOS provided of course that they are all tweaked to the correct angle in unison.

Hope this helps - though I suspect not. :ohmy:

Social source share

I like the Piles approach. Pile of maybe tunes, pile of nearly in the play box, Pile that I must file some time, pile I just got. Go through them every now and again, always find a suprise, just like having a U.S. record store at home :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more my man piles here piles there then when you look through you always have ones that you have not seen for ages or played for a long time yes just like in a store MAGIC !!!!

BEST REGARDS fraser

Social source share

Records should be file ad hoc in a pristine colored inner sleeve. No writing or stickers on ANYTHING, label or sleeve and then placed lovingly in a white cardboard sleeve which should also be devoid of any 'trashy" markings. It goes without saying that all labels should be completely upright within both sleeves. That way eveytime you dig something out - you find stuff you forgot you had! It is however, permissable to have various colors for the inner sleeve if you feel you need to hang on to some semblence of order.ie

US Demos RED

UK Demos GREEN

Anything more diverse than is a no no. :Dwink.gif:lol:

You may if you desire place Spindles/Spyders in the US DEMOS provided of course that they are all tweaked to the correct angle in unison.

Hope this helps - though I suspect not. tongue.gif

Hi Dave

I agree, Nothing on the Original 45 Label, Vinyl or Paper Sleeve.

I meant on the Coloured Poly-Lined Cardboard Sleeve.
ohmy.gif

Records & Sleeves are kept Very, Very safe without any Sticky Labels attached by me.

The only ones I keep on the Label are the "Chips" Stickers etc.

RE: "It goes without saying that all labels should be completely upright within both sleeves"

I do this, Labels always the correct way up within the Sleeve. :lol:

Social source share

Hi Dave

I agree, Nothing on the Original 45 Label, Vinyl or Paper Sleeve.

I meant on the Coloured Poly-Lined Cardboard Sleeve.
ohmy.gif

Records & Sleeves are kept Very, Very safe without any Sticky Labels attached by me.

The only ones I keep on the Label are the "Chips" Stickers etc.

RE: "It goes without saying that all labels should be completely upright within both sleeves"

I do this, Labels always the correct way up within the Sleeve. biggrin.gif

You two boys must like Sleeping with the Enemy biggrin.gif

Joking aside, I like this idea, no stickers, no writing on sleeves and upright .

Edited by Adrian
Social source share

US Demos RED

UK Demos GREEN

Anything more diverse than is a no no. biggrin.gif:no::lol:

Hope this helps - though I suspect not. :no:

Dave you can get help for OCD you know :ohmy:

Social source share

Mine are in them racks you used to get from woolies no sleeves no.gif

Talking about 'no sleeves', my ex husband was a dj when I met him, none of his records were in sleeves! arrrgh. I savd a few but oh the scratches.

I also a fan of the WH Smiths record covers with plastic inside. Good old smiths.

Social source share

ive tried all different ways....genre,play out /play home,old/new,orig/reissue,us/uk etc...lables ok when you got loads on a lable...i stil find the best way is alphabetical..full stop...its the only way you can go almost straight to a tune and not spend hours flicking through and starting to panic thinkin youve lost one or its been pinched !!

Agreed! It's pretty failsafe if you have a lot of records.

I do mine aphabetised in the following sections:-

1) Rock/Pop Albums

2) Soul/RnB Albums

3) Compilation Albums

4) Reggae Albums

5) U.S. Soul/RnB 7"'s

6) U.K. Rock/Pop 7"'s

7) U.K. Soul/RnB 7"'s

8) U.K. Reggae 7"'s

9) U.S. Northern Soul 7"

10) U.K. Northern Soul 7"

11) U.S. 12"'s

12) U.K. 12"'s

13) U.K. and U.S. Rock/Pop 12"'s

14) Reggae 12"'s

15) CD - Artist Albums

16) CD - Northern Soul

17) CD Compilations

Always worked for me. I can generally go straight to what I need within seconds. I generally have a re-filing session about once a month which takes a couple of hours or so, but that beats the frustration of not being able to lay your hands on something quickly!

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

I hate it when people come round my house to look at records, which are always filed alphabetically by artist, and they play them and put them back in the sleeves upside down and back to front. Bastards.

Happened to me once. A guy placed Billy Prophet on Merrimac upside down and I didn't discover it for good few months. Needless to say the chap in question was sent a solicitor's letter and will NEVER receive anothyer invite to the record room. Brother or no brother!! :thumbup::lol::lol:

Social source share

Happened to me once. A guy placed Billy Prophet on Merrimac upside down and I didn't discover it for good few months. Needless to say the chap in question was sent a solicitor's letter and will NEVER receive anothyer invite to the record room. Brother or no brother!! :lol::thumbsup::lol:

:thumbup:

yeah tell him he's banned from my house as well!

Social source share

I hate it when people come round my house to look at records, which are always filed alphabetically by artist, and they play them and put them back in the sleeves upside down and back to front. Bastards.

Note.....the rifle Pete! :thumbup::Drolleyes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!