Upfront On The Seafront Skegness

coops

• Replies 93
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I cant remember it Paul .. had too many :thumbup: I did play a nice 45 by Larry Conner

Pathetic excuse, you had your playlist sorted before you left home so just find the cd and list it up my friend

MICK(Skegsoul)

cant reply to your pm on here m8 have sent you a e mail,dont know why the reply box just locks up and dont move ,anyone with any ideas please pm :thumbup: yes skeggy was tops mick hope we get another

I'm still blaming Maria :ohmy: Anyway never spilt a drop of mine :yes:

Old Chinese proverb: Girl with insufficient vocabulary, talk with hands

-aka-

One drink - and my hands think they're flaming Italian.

...We were all most impressed that I only had to replace 2 from Chalky's full tray when he snuck up behind us :rolleyes: . I think he's missed his calling as a tight-robe walker :) .

I agree with Carmen on the food smell (yuk) and the light coming from there didn't help the floor early on (or is that just me, coz I'm so shy), but the staff were friendly and that's always a big help when you're on holiday by the seaside. Apologies to Mr Fleming for nattering away at breakfast so long (he's so polite) - I've realised how similar our musical tastes are, so I've decided to adopt you :D

Anyway...

Can't add much more than what others have posted:

Big thanks to Dave and Donna for this weekender.

Even though it was a bit quiet at times, the atmosphere was really nice (not daunting like some weekenders can be) and I even managed quite a few smiles myself :lol::) .

Most importantly, the music was as good as promised - even the post 70s stuff that I personally don't favour, had people buzzing and dancing. Nice to hear sounds - 'old' and 'new' in both musical senses of these words - that were based on quality and variety. We all have our favourite sets of the weekend (I have 3), but next time I'll have to catch more between each room :wicked:

I'm sure this event will grow: word-of-mouth is the best advertisement.

m

ps. Dave, pls thank Donna again for Saturday and tell her that I found one in York!

Guest vinylmaniac

What a great weekend with top notch music.

I'll do my half of the Saturday playlist when I get them sorted, come on Ray put your half up :D

OK Neil I will put down what I can remember.

(In no order).

Ive got my eyes on you / channels...groove.

sadie sadie / ripple blast singers...power lp.

mighty lover / ideals...boo-ga-loo.

dream / bridges, knight...shock.

look at me,look at me / vernon greene...minit.

groovin with my thing / de vons...mr g.

surely / sly, slick & wicked...paramount.

i'm no stranger / joe bataan...fania.

take me back / brothers unlimited...capitol lp.

you had it made / freddie terrell...capitol.

i'm the one who needs you / kirk taylor...kt co.

too late / black sugar...vampisoul lp. :lol:

save the children / bilalian creation...california gold12".

whats it all about / counts...tm.

extra careful / billy cole...recreational & educational.

our country needs love / fitz major...ashanti.

wayward dream / annette poindexter...twinight.

I Hope to see you again at the next one.

Ta Ray thumbup.gif

upfront on the seafront, what a concept, upfront soul (northern?) music played all weekend in a venue that has a very strong 'classic 500' tradition and a seaside town about as 21st century as my butt is to a pink orchid, but....... thinking about it (not my butt!!) the vault, often the second cousin to the 'classics' room at the regular skegg weekenders had been growing in strength and kudos over the past couple of years.

people were begining to turn up at the skegg weekenders just for the underplayed tunes of the vault and only venturing upstairs to the 'classic' area to partake in the barrelled beers offered for consumption within that area.

i think this 'underground' popularity (to use a verbal paradox) tempted skegg promoter dave raistrick to stick his head over the parapit and show his true colours and put a whole weekend dedicated to those vaults sounds.

i know david has, like many other dee jays, been wanting to play something different in his sets but (as with so many other dee jays) has not been able to due to the punter-pleasing-policies (and so they should be) of many of todays venues. i think david was probably most happy in that 1980s rock-city/stafford time zone and records of that ilk are what came to the fore from many dee jays at the upfront weekender, and then some.

critisism? yep, there's only one of me, and that just ain't enough. downstairs some sixties soul and salubrious early seventies music to die for, gems, future gems and yet more gems, while, upstairs, a more modern lilt to the weekend featuring late 70s, 80s, 90s and beyond, both rooms linked by what must be the most appropriate superlative adjective of the weekend..... QUALITY. quality dee jays playing quality music, but........ as i say, critisism..... i couldn't be in both rooms at one and the same time so.... i plumped for the more modern approach upstairs. why? not a dee jay choice, (quality was equal up stairs and down), not a music choice (i give equal reverence to any soulful dance sound whatever it's year of birth), no the choice was simple, i like to dance and the best floor for dancing was upstairs in the 'modern' room.

i missed out on hearing some of my favourite deliverers of the sixties soul, mick & mo, rupe, james trouble and roger banks but as some compensation i was awarded with sets from andy whitmore, mick h, simon m, steve guanori, and of course arthur and sam.

if there is a next one (and believe me, there will be) let's have it all in one room, mix the montage of soulful sounds and their decades of creation, mix them all together in one room with the binding agent of QUALITY, and that, to me would be a perfect day (weekend).

(images can be fund on site below)

Edited by coops

OK Neil I will put down what I can remember.

(In no order).

Ive got my eyes on you / channels...groove.

sadie sadie / ripple blast singers...power lp.

mighty lover / ideals...boo-ga-loo.

dream / bridges, knight...shock.

look at me,look at me / vernon greene...minit.

groovin with my thing / de vons...mr g.

surely / sly, slick & wicked...paramount.

i'm no stranger / joe bataan...fania.

take me back / brothers unlimited...capitol lp.

you had it made / freddie terrell...capitol.

i'm the one who needs you / kirk taylor...kt co.

too late / black sugar...vampisoul lp. :P

save the children / bilalian creation...california gold12".

whats it all about / counts...tm.

extra careful / billy cole...recreational & educational.

our country needs love / fitz major...ashanti.

wayward dream / annette poindexter...twinight.

I Hope to see you again at the next one.

Ta Ray :P

Nice one Ray , here's some of the stuff I played in our double decking stint...Cheers Cressy

THAT SAME OLD FEELING - VOLUMES - IMPACT

AIN'T GOT NO PROBLEMS - SUNDAY - ALTEEN

SWEETEST GIRL IN THE WORLD - EXCELLO

IS THIS THE WAY TO TREAT A GIRL - HESITATIONS - GWP

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU BACK - CASHMERES - HEM

I KNOW THE INSIDE STORY - CHUBBY & THE TURNPIKES - CAPITOL

STANDING AT A STANDSTILL - SHERLOCK HOLMES - PART 111

HANGING ON TO A LIE - NATURAL FOUR - BOOLA BOOLA

GOTT'A HAVE LOVE - VANGUARDS - LAMP

RIPE FOR THE PICKIN - TRUMAINS - RCA

BOOKING UP BABY - TOPICS - MERCURY

ISN'T IT LONELY - CARMELITA - CARMEN

MY WORLD OF ECTASY - REGGIE SOUL - CAPRI

COVERS MOTHER - MARILYN SMITH - SO-JAMM

CHANGE IN MY LIFE - 2001 BLACK ESSENCE - JWJ

WHERE IS THE LOVE - GLEN MILLER - DOCTOR BIRD

So many djs, :D so few playlists no.gif .How are the people supposed to know what they missed, whistling.gif if we do not tell them what was played.? :lol: Ta Ray

top tunes for me that I can remember from various DJ's Sam , Andy W ,Chalky etc

Sonic Explosion "We belong together"

Ronnie Barnes " You got me"

Push " Turn me on "

Tamarraw "I dont want to lose "

Aristocrates " Lucky fellow"

Edited by Simon M

Sounds were absolutely superb. 10/10

The event could have done with a few more supporting it in my view.

There were times the room looked like it could do with a few more warm bodies it felt a little cold downstairs at times. Wish I had been a bit more sensible and packed some jumpers.

But you have to take into account that this was in fact a very brave step by the promoter, putting on such an "upfront" event in a geographical area that is used to more traditional sounds. I applaud Dave for having the balls to do it. It's all too easy to take the safe route and watch the cash come rolling in.

To take a risk and to go all out in providing for the minority audience of what is the "Rare Soul" movement compared to the normal soulster's takes some bottle. On the internet the category of Rare soul enthusiast can appear as many. I can't help but think in fact they are fewer than we think. The majority are the 1000's that appreciate the massive venue ,which is why it is important that the rare soul crowd puts it support behind this type of event.

This was ground breaking stuff. The sounds didn't have to be mega rare and there wasn't a fear of slowing the tempo down either. All the Dj's looked to be enjoying the freedom of playing basically the likes of what they would share with a best friend in the comfort of their own homes. We were indeed privileged by being their audience.

It would be easy to point some names out as outstanding for the records they have ... but I am not going to do that as I think they all contributed to making this event rather special.

I do hope the event goes from strength to strength. It will need support to grow.

Ditto to all the above Carms - Summed it up perfectly!! I was there for the Friday night bash only... can't add anything to what carms has so brilliantly all ready reported - other than to reiterate that all the sounds played in the northern room were 'Class!!'. (Where wuz u Carms!?!)

(I didn't venture upstairs so can't pass comment)

Edited by FickleFingers

top tunes for me that I can remember from various DJ's Sam , Andy W ,Chalky etc

Sonic Explosion "We belong together"

Ronnie Barnes " You got me"

Push " Turn me on "

Tamarraw "I dont want to lose "

Aristocrates " Lucky fellow"

but you cant remeber what youm played :lol:

So many djs, :no: so few playlists :lol: .How are the people supposed to know what they missed, :lol: if we do not tell them what was played.? :thumbup: Ta Ray

just for you then ray, here's what i played when i doubled up with andy riley

kool blues - can we try love again - capsoul

george perkins - baby i love you - royal shield

doc peabody - here without you - both sides

tom green - endless confusion - action

the dells - closer - cadet

ernie johnson - big man cry - steph & lee

anna raye - will you love my child - quality sound

the whispers - in love forever - soultrain

barrett strong - man up in the sky - capitol

excellent weekend roll on may?

rupe

Guest vinylmaniac

just for you then ray, here's what i played when i doubled up with andy riley

kool blues - can we try love again - capsoul

george perkins - baby i love you - royal shield

doc peabody - here without you - both sides

tom green - endless confusion - action

the dells - closer - cadet

ernie johnson - big man cry - steph & lee

anna raye - will you love my child - quality sound

the whispers - in love forever - soultrain

barrett strong - man up in the sky - capitol

excellent weekend roll on may?

rupe

Why,whats happening in May?

I would like to add to the huge number of people who have congratulated Dave on this event. It was an honour to be asked to be part of a line up of DJ's that was a whos who of influential names from our scene. No it wasn't attended as well as it should have been, but it was the first one, and judging by the feedback from the event it will be much better attended next time. Top sessions for me were Steve Jay/Kev Laws and Jonathon. Where else could you go to hear music at the very cutting edge of our scene? Brilliant.

For whats its worth, here is my track listing from my session

1. April Hill - The Search (Album track from Love 360)
  2. UBP feat Bobby Pruitt - We are one
  3. Lee Macdonald - We've only just begun (From Sweet Magic)
  4. Patchworks (Lee Macdonald) - I'll do anything (remix)
  5. 5th Dimension - No love in the room
  6. Patchworks - Celebration
  7. Rance Allen - Reason to survive
  8. Gerry Deveaux - Come into my life
  9. Blaze - Family
  10. Whatnauts - Help is on the way
  11. Kama Sutra - Good for us
  12. Terry Ronald - What a child needs
  13. Mark Grant feat Russoul - Guessing again
Edited by Andy Jackson

I would like to add to the huge number of people who have congratulated Dave on this event. It was an honour to be asked to be part of a line up of DJ's that was a whos who of influential names from our scene. No it wasn't attended as well as it should have been, but it was the first one, and judging by the feedback from the event it will be much better attended next time. Top sessions for me were Steve Jay/Kev Laws and Jonathon. Where else could you go to hear music at the very cutting edge of our scene? Brilliant.

9. Blaze - Family

:wicked::lol: Andy thanks for the kind words glad you enjoyed the tunes !!!! , like you said it was an honour to be asked and I do hope as you suggest there will be more support forthcoming for another one!!

Cant remember exactly what I played now but the ones I can remember were

The Minits Still A part Of you

Laura Lee Your Song (THE version)

Tearra Just Loving You

The Js When Did You Stop

Carrie Cleveland Make Love to Me (Promo Version)

Norris vines Give In

Stevens And Foster I Want To Be Love

Frankie Young Somebody Stole My Love.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MissDee

Why,whats happening in May?

MAY 30th/31st 2008

UPFRONT on the SEAFRONT" No 2

at the SUNCASTLE, GRAND PARADE, SKEGNESS.

2 ROOMS over 2 DAYS of Quality Rare Soul 60s to 90s & Beyond ! With some of the UKs Top Rare Soul Jocks

FRIDAY 8pm - 2am (Adm £10)

SATURDAY 1pm - 5pm (Adm £5)

SATURDAY 9pm - 3am or later! (Adm £10)

or a FULL 2 Day pass £20.00 (Limited amount of 2 DAY PASSES available so get yours early)

For more info Contact Dave on 01754 611838 or 07850 538320

events@starsandstripesimports.com

www.starsandstripesimports.com

• 2 weeks later...

MAY 30th/31st 2008

UPFRONT on the SEAFRONT" No 2

at the SUNCASTLE, GRAND PARADE, SKEGNESS.

2 ROOMS over 2 DAYS of Quality Rare Soul 60s to 90s & Beyond ! With some of the UKs Top Rare Soul Jocks

FRIDAY 8pm - 2am (Adm £10)

SATURDAY 1pm - 5pm (Adm £5)

SATURDAY 9pm - 3am or later! (Adm £10)

or a FULL 2 Day pass £20.00 (Limited amount of 2 DAY PASSES available so get yours early)

For more info Contact Dave on 01754 611838 or 07850 538320

events@starsandstripesimports.com

www.starsandstripesimports.com

DATE NOW CONFIRMED WITH THE SUNCASTLE MANAGEMENT FOR THIS

2 DAY EVENT

Book your favourite stay at www.funcoast.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest soulfiend

DATE NOW CONFIRMED WITH THE SUNCASTLE MANAGEMENT FOR THIS

2 DAY EVENT

Book your favourite stay at www.funcoast.co.uk

Really looking forward to this as the last one was the best night/weekend Ive had since moving back up to Lincolnshire. Cant wait to see what the DJ lineup has in store but I would definitely like to see Andy Jackson get an evening spot this time around, Mmmmmmmmmm wonder if Terry Jones & Chris Hill are free that weekend???????????????

Midge

Edited by soulfiend

• 1 month later...

9. Blaze - Family

"UPFRONT ON THE SEAFRONT PART 2" JUNE 20TH/21ST At The SUNCASTLE, Grand Parade, Skegness.

3 Sessions over 2 Days for more info go to www.starsandstripesimports.com

2 DAY PASS £20

1 DAY PASS £15

SINGLE SESSIONS £10

Firstly l would just like to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU to each and every one who attended the very first "UPFRONT ON THE SEAFRONT" Weekend here in Skeggy - The feedback has been fantastic and even though we could have done with a few more souls through the doors the main theme was kept throughout and was greatly appreciated by one and all - Yes "UPFRONT" came and went on a chilly winter weekend here in the east . Brace yourselves for part two !!!!!! 'Cos it is coming !!!

Onward & Upward - Regards Dave Raistrick.

SAM, ARTHUR, STEVE G, KITCH, CHALKY ALL CONFIRMED FOR "UPFRONT PART 2"

JUNE 20TH/21ST 2008 AT THE SUNCASTLE, SKEGNESS

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly l would just like to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU to each and every one who attended the very first "UPFRONT ON THE SEAFRONT" Weekend here in Skeggy - The feedback has been fantastic and even though we could have done with a few more souls through the doors the main theme was kept throughout and was greatly appreciated by one and all - Yes "UPFRONT" came and went on a chilly winter weekend here in the east . Brace yourselves for part two !!!!!! 'Cos it is coming !!!

TICKETS AVAILABLE SHORTLY FOR "UPFRONT" Part 2 - JUNE 20TH/21ST 2008 At THE SUNCASTLE - SEAFRONT - SKEGNESS.

FOR MORE INFO GO TO WWW.STARSANDSTRIPESIMPORTS.COM

HOTELS, GUEST HOUSES, FLATS Etc..... CHECK WWW.FUNCOAST.CO.UK

• 2 weeks later...

"PART TWO "IS BUILDING WELL!! - JUNE 20th/21st 2008

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice one Ray , here's some of the stuff I played in our double decking stint...Cheers Cressy

THAT SAME OLD FEELING - VOLUMES - IMPACT

AIN'T GOT NO PROBLEMS - SUNDAY - ALTEEN

SWEETEST GIRL IN THE WORLD - EXCELLO

IS THIS THE WAY TO TREAT A GIRL - HESITATIONS - GWP

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU BACK - CASHMERES - HEM

I KNOW THE INSIDE STORY - CHUBBY & THE TURNPIKES - CAPITOL

STANDING AT A STANDSTILL - SHERLOCK HOLMES - PART 111

HANGING ON TO A LIE - NATURAL FOUR - BOOLA BOOLA

GOTT'A HAVE LOVE - VANGUARDS - LAMP

RIPE FOR THE PICKIN - TRUMAINS - RCA

BOOKING UP BABY - TOPICS - MERCURY

ISN'T IT LONELY - CARMELITA - CARMEN

MY WORLD OF ECTASY - REGGIE SOUL - CAPRI

COVERS MOTHER - MARILYN SMITH - SO-JAMM

CHANGE IN MY LIFE - 2001 BLACK ESSENCE - JWJ

WHERE IS THE LOVE - GLEN MILLER - DOCTOR BIRD

THESE AND MORE......................................