soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 124
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Is this getting played out ? as it's been getting asked for quite a lot lately and what's the going price for it ?

don't hear it much .....last time i remember was sam at stoke 3years ago .... should be played a lot more IMHO....i play at Cambridge when ever i can :lol: just want a 45 as i have to keep playing original lp and want to keep it at home as it's not easy to get

Social source share

====

one of the greatest northern tunes ever for me....glorious tune

Agree Mark.... but cleared the floor for me at Newcastle Tiffs, early 80's.

T'was MASSIVE at Clifton Hall while still covered up... but it hadn't yet reached the Midlands.

Still not got over it! sad.gif

Didn't think it would take 28 years though to get popular!

:unsure:

Social source share

laugh.gif

Bollocks, I knew I should have sold that copy to Mister Cambridge Soul for 50 quid!! :lol:

All joking aside though, I bet it won't be long before people are being ripped off for that much for it if it gets wider recognitiion. :unsure:

Social source share

Agree Mark.... but cleared the floor for me at Newcastle Tiffs, early 80's.

T'was MASSIVE at Clifton Hall while still covered up... but it hadn't yet reached the Midlands.

Still not got over it! :lol:

laugh.gif

Top tune.

Forgot what this was covered as - Chigago Gangsters or something - I really can't remember.

As you say Sean top Clifton Hall spin. I can't believe it cleared the floor anywhere - what a cwazy cwazy scene this is!

Social source share

Top tune.

Forgot what this was covered as - Chigago Gangsters or something - I really can't remember.

As you say Sean top Clifton Hall spin. I can't believe it cleared the floor anywhere - what a cwazy cwazy scene this is!

Al Johnson & The Hitmen, Peter.

Was BIG at Clifton for Richard and I bagged me a copy.

Took it to N-U-L Tiffs thinkin' I'd got the Holy Grail so, following Dave Evison, kicked my spot off with it.

Must have been 200 people on the dancefloor... until I came on!

Story of my life mate!

laugh.gif

Social source share

Al Johnson & The Hitmen, Peter.

Was BIG at Clifton for Richard and I bagged me a copy.

Took it to N-U-L Tiffs thinkin' I'd got the Holy Grail so, following Dave Evison, kicked my spot off with it.

Must have been 200 people on the dancefloor... until I came on!

Story of my life mate!

Aah! Al Johnson and the Hit Men - that's the one.

Your far too modest Mr Hampsey!

biggrin.gif

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Nick Harrison

Top tune.

:thumbsup:

Hi Pete 99,

Just off topic as it seems a long time ago....but was'nt the James Mack And Chicago Gansters cover up - Roy Dawson's - Over The Top.

And talking of Clifton Hall and Sean, would someone be able to remind me of the cover up name of the Brothers Guiding Light feat David as played or covered by John Vincent, as mentioned within another

thread.

Thanks.

Social source share

If one lives by the so called original vinyl only policy, then it is only the LP. The Expansion 45 is a modern reissue, albeit legally licensed.

here here well said that man

original only or feck off back home with your BOOTS or legal re issues or whatever you want to call em.

and let the purists do it proper :thumbsup::ohmy:

anyone who plays boots at a venue wants sulphuric acid dripped slowly down thier japs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:):P:D

Social source share

Hi Pete 99,

Just off topic as it seems a long time ago....but was'nt the James Mack And Chicago Gansters cover up - Roy Dawson's - Over The Top.

And talking of Clifton Hall and Sean, would someone be able to remind me of the cover up name of the Brothers Guiding Light feat David as played or covered by John Vincent, as mentioned within another

thread.

Thanks.

Hi Nick,

John had it covered up as "The Anderson Brothers" ... while I was playing it as The Brothers Guiding Light.

Remember him getting quite cross with me for announcing it as the correct artist.

biggrin.gif

Sean

Social source share

If one lives by the so called original vinyl only policy, then it is only the LP. The Expansion 45 is a modern reissue, albeit legally licensed.

The 'original vinyl only' policy is an ass!

'Legal' or 'Legitimate' vinyl only I can live with.

Anyone likely to get hung for playing Ivory's 'Please Stay' on Wand (for example)?

unsure.gif

Sean

Social source share

Anyone likely to get hung for playing Ivory's 'Please Stay' on Wand (for example)?

:lol:

Sean

worst example ever!!!!! Sean you should know better really :lol:

it's like saying Don Gardner on grapevine? or sedgrick? I know one thing if a D.j or so called D.j played a record like this before me going on with Don type tunage for the use of I wouldn't work for that promoter again :lol: 'Please Dont Stay go' and id stuff tha WAND UP his arse thumbup.gif

before he was thrown into the soul police van :yes: along with his carrier bag of legal reissues :lol:

Social source share

worst example ever!!!!! Sean you should know better really :lol:

it's like saying Don Gardner on grapevine? or sedgrick? I know one thing if a D.j or so called D.j played a record like this before me going on with Don type tunage for the use of I wouldn't work for that promoter again :lol: 'Please Dont Stay go' and id stuff tha WAND UP his arse thumbup.gif

before he was thrown into the soul police van :yes: along with his carrier bag of legal reissues :lol:

Its the best example ever... and you know it! :lol:

That's why you were forced to resort to complete jibberish as a reply!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Just ask me has had on off plays in the south ever since the early 80s......it's been played in Herts / Beds, Essence etc every so often over the years - great tune and always had it's following. It doesn't clear the floor either.:yes:

This record was one of the turning points for me at Wigan in 1980 - I was amazed at the stuff Richard and Sam were playing when I went back up there after a break. Always loved this one - that kind of Prelude Lester / Brown type beat, and those vocals.........a record I never tire of.......can I play it when I come up to Cambridge in May David?

On the other topic - Sean The Ivories a very poor example mate - Despanza was a local Chicago label, Wand was a national label that picked it up for wider distribution. It was still a new release at the time. Shall I scan up my cherished Wand copy ? :thumbup:

Social source share

On the other topic - Sean The Ivories a very poor example mate - Despanza was a local Chicago label, Wand was a national label that picked it up for wider distribution. It was still a new release at the time. Shall I scan up my cherished Wand copy ? :yes:

Reissue, Steve, (and certainlty not the original label) regardless of how cherished.

Don't let Flanny see you playing it!

:D

It was an extreme example, of course, to show how fukced up the 'first issue' policy is.

Lets face it, were it not for Reissues the NS scene would never have taken off in a big way in the 70's.

Me and thousands of others would never have heard the Tams "Hey Girl Don't Bother Me" or Tami Lynn "I'm Gonna Run Away From You" and Donnie Elbert "Little Piece Of Leather" etc. were it not for DJ's playing them - and promoting Soul Music - everywhere we went at the time (don't think for a second they were all playing orig HMV's, UK Black Atlantics or UK Sue copies of the latter.

I guess it all hinges on how the DJ sees his role. :yes:

Apart from the entertainment factor, is he a promotor of Soul Music or just somebody who sees it as an opportunity to show off his collection of Rare 45's.

I happen to have a fabulous collection - amassed over some 40 years - but I've never allowed that to interfere with what I consider to be my role as a promoter of Soul Music.

Frankly, I'd play soul music off a toaster... if I could get a decent sound out of it.

:thumbup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Sean

I thought it was Legitimate format ... Sean ?

ps . Halo is a good example as Dyco is the re-issue lable :yes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Reissue, Steve, (and certainlty not the original label) regardless of how cherished.

Don't yet Flanny see you playing it!

Sean

Sean, disagree with you there - it's a National release of a local release - happened all the time in the USA as you know because the locals could't manage distribution or because the national thought it had potential (or both). That's different from a reissue which is something that comes out much later in response to some sort of demand. I am sure Flanny has danced to my copy of the Ivories too. :yes: which has far better sound on it than the Despanza release by the way.

Social source share

Hi Nick,

John had it covered up as "The Anderson Brothers" ... while I was playing it as The Brothers Guiding Light.

Remember him getting quite cross with me for announcing it as the correct artist.

:yes:

Sean

Not only that Sean, but it had been played for some time before John started djing again with his new cover ups !

Social source share

Sean, disagree with you there - it's a National release of a local release - happened all the time in the USA as you know because the locals could't manage distribution or because the national thought it had potential (or both). That's different from a reissue which is something that comes out much later in response to some sort of demand. I am sure Flanny has danced to my copy of the Ivories too. :thumbup: which has far better sound on it than the Despanza release by the way.

Of course its different from a reissue which comes out much later, but a second issue on a National label is a reissue (not the 'original'), Steve, no matter how you couch it.

But, as I said, I don't give a fig either way.

I'll leave the label bragging to those who feel the need.

Sean

Social source share

Not only that Sean, but it had been played for some time before John started djing again with his new cover ups !

You're right Steve.

Several years in fact.

To be fair... he'd been away for a while so wasn't to know that... but it illustrates that BGL was no way considered a 'big' record when new.

Sean

Social source share

I thought it was Legitimate format ... Sean ?

What was Simon?

The Wand Ivorys is Legit, of course, and that makes it acceptable.

As I understand it, the Bobby Thurston 45 is also legit - as is the Don Gardner reissue mentioned earlier.

Someone said they'd object to such legal reissues being played out - and I say the scene was built on them, therefore the whole approach is erroneous and has become no more than a latter day tool of 'dick waving' and self promotion, over the promotion of the music itself.

Tragic.

Social source share

What was Simon?

The Wand Ivorys is Legit, of course, and that makes it acceptable.

As I understand it, the Bobby Thurston 45 is also legit - as is the Don Gardner reissue mentioned earlier.

Someone said they'd object to such legal reissues being played out - and I say the scene was built on them, therefore the whole approach is erroneous and has become no more than a latter day tool of 'dick waving' and self promotion, over the promotion of the music itself.

Tragic.

Yes I agree Sean . Have you got your legit Natural Impulse yet ? :thumbup:

Social source share

Yes I agree Sean . Have you got your legit Natural Impulse yet ? :thumbup:

No mate.

But if I had, I probably wouldn't play it.

I don't play recent re-issues as a general rule... but that's more because I've always got loads of other stuff that needs an airing.

Just think that those who do want to use 'em should be allowed to - and not treated as some kind of pariah, by those who can afford the collectors piece.

Sean

Social source share

Very desirable re-issue though Simon.

What about the Lotusland recent re-issue though? Only way to get the full 12" version so does that make it an original :D:thumbup:

Thats actually a latter day remix Martin . Its a legit issue plus they gave us lots of info on Halo on that radio Interview :yes:

Did you know theres a smaller lable issue of Flight "Dont play your games " :yes:

Social source share

Thats it ! nail on the head Sean ! Its these Hot boxer types that struggle with that concept , they must think they are on Antiques Roadshow laugh.gif

Ok then Simon. I'll carve Motherfox & do a straight swap for your original copy. Will even remove the 'wonky bit' near the end for you :(

What the hell I'll even pay your postage fella :lol:

Social source share

Ok then Simon. I'll carve Motherfox & do a straight swap for your original copy. Will even remove the 'wonky bit' near the end for you :(

What the hell I'll even pay your postage fella laugh.gif

But I only play legit format/release mate , why would I do that :lol::(

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Sean, disagree with you there - it's a National release of a local release - happened all the time in the USA as you know because the locals could't manage distribution or because the national thought it had potential (or both). That's different from a reissue which is something that comes out much later in response to some sort of demand. I am sure Flanny has danced to my copy of the Ivories too. wink.gif which has far better sound on it than the Despanza release by the way.

I agree with you. No way can it be described as a re-issue.

I'd have no problem with it being played out on Kent [it was, wasn't it] which is of course a legit re-issue.

ROD

Social source share

I'd have no problem with it being played out on Kent [it was, wasn't it] which is of course a legit re-issue.

ROD

Yes it was, Rod.

Quite an early one too.

Like you, I wouldn't object to hearing it out on any label.

But its obvious that some would.

Great tune either way (IMO).

Sean

Social source share