Dave Rimmer

• Replies 28
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Barbara Lynn - I'm A Good Woman - Tribe .....it must have been released on something, but do you think I can find it !!

It's on 'Bluesoul Belles Vol. 2' that I did at Westside, Dave. And at least one volume of Harmless' "I'm A Good Woman" series :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Barbara Lynn - I'm A Good Woman - Tribe .....it must have been released on something, but do you think I can find it !!

This is a great comp with the original recording of IAGW minus the horns and an alternate take which you can have great fun with fading out the vocal and backing with your balance.

https://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Cajun-Recordin...n/dp/B00000IGM1

Social source share

It's on 'Bluesoul Belles Vol. 2' that I did at Westside, Dave. And at least one volume of Harmless' "I'm A Good Woman" series :thumbsup:

Would you believe I've got Volume 1 (Bettye Lavette/Carol Fran) and Volume 3 (Jean Plum/Veniece) but not volume 2 :lol:

Aaargh Just found Volume 4 (Judy Clay/Marie Knight)

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Guest TonyCrampton

It was also re-released on a Fryers 45. Got a spare one somewhere.

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree
Guest TONY ROUNCE

The best version of this tune is by Silky Spearman a real left field Soul tune.

No it's not - it's by Barbara Lynn. You seem to be suffering from a case of "THEVERSION-itis", sypmtoms of which are a strong belief that some obscure version that sold about three copies and commands a high collector price is better than a more readily available recording that really is "the version" :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Slightly different take on the Fryers 45 - so you need both!

The 'different' one is the same as the Tribe version but, I believe, lacking a few overdubs. This was issued on an Edsel CD, as mentioned in a earlier post. The Fryers 45 must have been booted from that CD

I've held the session tape for Barbara's cut in my hands and I can confirm that there's only one actual take of IAGW on the reel, plus a couple of false starts.

Social source share

The 'different' one is the same as the Tribe version but, I believe, lacking a few overdubs. This was issued on an Edsel CD, as mentioned in a earlier post. The Fryers 45 must have been booted from that CD

I've held the session tape for Barbara's cut in my hands and I can confirm that there's only one actual take of IAGW on the reel, plus a couple of false starts.

Fryers 45 was legally licensed from Demon Tony.

Social source share

Yes the record was licenced from demon music group who own the rights and if you listen is also a different mix down from the same take, nothing on my label has ever been booted. What made anyone assume it was booted?

Edited by fryer
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

No it's not - it's by Barbara Lynn. You seem to be suffering from a case of "THEVERSION-itis", sypmtoms of which are a strong belief that some obscure version that sold about three copies and commands a high collector price is better than a more readily available recording that really is "the version" :ohmy:

Mr Rounce IS right Barbara Lynn IAGW is streets ahead of Silky Spearman IMO

Social source share

The 'different' one is the same as the Tribe version but, I believe, lacking a few overdubs. This was issued on an Edsel CD, as mentioned in a earlier post.

The two versions are definitely different, although it might well be because the horns are mixed down lower on the Fryer release. Having said that, I prefer the Tribe release anyway.

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

So what is the 'alt take' on the Edsel CD then Tony? And where was the brass added on the single ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert