Bill Purcell & The Nashville Sweat Band

Guest Malc Burton

=============

expressions on EMI steve,,,i think this is great..got 2 demos for sale ...as well...how long do you think ill have them for?

I was browsing through an old copy of Blues & Soul last night - issue # 191 / May 4th 1976 to be precise - which had / has an advert , placed by top soul label of the day , Spark Records , for the following record .......

Bill Purcell & The Nashville Sweat Band - " Now " - Spark SRL 1142

The advert shows a mock Post office telegram , with the wording " Now The Nashhville Sweat Band is a Northern Disco smash - Richard Searling " ........

The write up for the record decribes it as " one of those purple , lush orchestrations , which swell and blaze with piano arppegios , flute solos , string ripples ,and brass bashes - the lot set against a funky unrelenting percussion chuck chucks , not to mention the breathy girl choir aah - aahing and do - it nowing to great effect " .........

The advertising genius at Spark really earned his luncheon vouchers for that copy ......

If this record was " endorsed " by Richard , and more so , played by him at WC and other venues , I cannot recall it under that title or artist , so it may have been a possible cover up .......

Can anybody help by throwing light on to what this record was if was covered , and if so , post a sound clip ( if one should exist ) , as I have great expectations for it , following the sales pitch in the advert , as I am afraid I might have missed a classic :no: .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was browsing through an old copy of Blues & Soul last night - issue # 191 / May 4th 1976 to be precise - which had / has an advert , placed by top soul label of the day , Spark Records , for the following record .......

Bill Purcell & The Nashville Sweat Band - " Now " - Spark SRL 1142

The advert shows a mock Post office telegram , with the wording " Now The Nashhville Sweat Band is a Northern Disco smash - Richard Searling " ........

The write up for the record decribes it as " one of those purple , lush orchestrations , which swell and blaze with piano arppegios , flute solos , string ripples ,and brass bashes - the lot set against a funky unrelenting percussion chuck chucks , not to mention the breathy girl choir aah - aahing and do - it nowing to great effect " .........

The advertising genius at Spark really earned his luncheon vouchers for that copy ......

If this record was " endorsed " by Richard , and more so , played by him at WC and other venues , I cannot recall it under that title or artist , so it may have been a possible cover up .......

Can anybody help by throwing light on to what this record was if was covered , and if so , post a sound clip ( if one should exist ) , as I have great expectations for it , following the sales pitch in the advert , as I am afraid I might have missed a classic :wicked: .......

Malc Burton

==========

hi malc ... it does exist.. pulled it out the box ,,knew i had it somewhere!...uk spark as quoted

Social source share

He had one called Heartbeat that wasn't up to much, i can't remember Now at all

Wasn't that a SPAR release !?! Pretty certain !! An Instrumental (!?!) (Not so certain..) And wasn't it with an 's' as in Pursell ?? Cor.. I'm really pushing the limits of the memory on this one. Thinking on.. I can't recall seeing it for sale since.. well, probably when it was 'popular' (mid-seventies) so bet it would easily fetch three figures on eBay if listed.

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

Wasn't that a SPAR release !?! Pretty certain !! An Instrumental (!?!) (Not so certain..) And wasn't it with an 's' as in Pursell ?? Cor.. I'm really pushing the limits of the memory on this one. Thinking on.. I can't recall seeing it for sale since.. well, probably when it was 'popular' (mid-seventies) so bet it would easily fetch three figures on eBay if listed.

Your memory serves you well !

Bill Pursell..... Heartbeat....... Spar 9008

Covered up as Sons of Moses " Soul Stomping"

Massive for Soul Sam 78/79 at Peterboro Fleet, Wirrina, St Ives all dayers etc etc.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Correct its on Spar & was covered up as Soul Stomping by The Sons Of Moses.Its very hard to come by.Not everyones cup of tea,but I paid £200 for mine.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert