Grantham And All Things Historically Soul

Guest hotwax

Guest hotwax

The phrase Northern Soul was coined by Margret Thatcher at a dance at the Girls High School in 1960 whens she was getting down to the latest releases from the USA and whilst looking through her collection of Vinyl said to her Girl Friends, " this music is so soulfull and all the way up here in the Midlands, we should call it Midlands Soul " but changed her mind to Northern Soul when she was informed in Geography that the Midlands didnt exist, as anything north of the Watford Gap Service Station was North.

Fact

Social source share

• Replies 77
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest hotwax

Since those elusrious Maggie days spinning tunes at the Horse and Jockey it made me think about all the other great DJ's from Grantham and i wondered if anyone could help in creating a list and the sounds they played ?

Social source share

Guest hotwax

Neil Olive & Dave Raistrick spring to mind, both have excellent collections of original vinyl and this was well before the days of CD's & vinyl carvers although acetates were around they seemed harder to get then carvers are today :unsure:

I was once told of a police raid at famous bootleggers in nottingham and steve was hidding in this shed with all these acetates getting high whilst the police searched the property.......alledgedly

I know that Barry Cooper is Granthamian and as such does qualify running some good venues in Grantham and Barrowby.

Social source share

The only person i know who hails from Grantham, apart from Maggie, is Tony Clayton.

Holy mother of ..... :D didn't realise the big T was from town ???

Big bad Barry is a Notts boy originally mate so don't think he will have any info on the 70,s in town.

Loz seems to remember Willie mac & Roger Burin (?) doing soul nights and mobiles around the 70,s

I only moved here in 1994 so my knowledge is limited to what Neil Olive & DR have told me, i used to go round Neils house and we would talk for hours & hours on the scenes early days in & around Grantham, Neil would make the coffee,s and i always took a packet of biscuits to munch on laugh.gif , strangely Neil left the scene and doesn't want to talk about it to anyone (well not me anyway)

Still have some good converstions with Dave Raistrick about his early days here too.

Ian.

Social source share

I was once told of a police raid at famous bootleggers in nottingham and steve was hidding in this shed with all these acetates getting high whilst the police searched the property.......alledgedly

I know that Barry Cooper is Granthamian and as such does qualify running some good venues in Grantham and Barrowby.

Steve who ??

Social source share

Was it Steve Elliott (Ness)

Social source share

Guest krawen

Was it Steve Elliott (Ness)

Ey up Mak,

now theres a name from the past, I used to get quite a few records off him in the early 70's. Can you remember that record shop he had at the top of Mansfield road in Eastwood after he left Selecta Disc.

All the best

Steve B

Social source share

Guest hotwax

Holy mother of ..... :P didn't realise the big T was from town ???

Big bad Barry is a Notts boy originally mate so don't think he will have any info on the 70,s in town.

Loz seems to remember Willie mac & Roger Burin (?) doing soul nights and mobiles around the 70,s

I only moved here in 1994 so my knowledge is limited to what Neil Olive & DR have told me, i used to go round Neils house and we would talk for hours & hours on the scenes early days in & around Grantham, Neil would make the coffee,s and i always took a packet of biscuits to munch on :ohmy: , strangely Neil left the scene and doesn't want to talk about it to anyone (well not me anyway)

Still have some good converstions with Dave Raistrick about his early days here too.

Ian.

Now then Now then

Big T ...... i seem to remember his parish was out knipton or easton way, i know it was a village because i remember going there in the very early 80's returning from oddfelows nighters, used to be quite a few people there and lots of pharmacutricals lol allegedly.

so now we have a few DJ's, Steve G was doing a turn at that time .....with hair i believe..... not seen the afro pics yet.

What about venues..... I know Barrowby...and the old Arnoldfield was a bit of a MOD Northern venue late 70's.

Social source share

Paul

Wasn't Paul Sadot from Grantham?

I don't know if he DJayed.

Stu

Of course he was!!! forgot about Paul, bought some records off him recently and when i paid i told him i was from Grantham and didn't get a reply :thumbsup: think he wants to move on :lol: heard some stories ages ago of his younger life coff coff ohmy.gif

Social source share

Now then Now then

Big T ...... i seem to remember his parish was out knipton or easton way, i know it was a village because i remember going there in the very early 80's returning from oddfelows nighters, used to be quite a few people there and lots of pharmacutricals lol allegedly.

so now we have a few DJ's, Steve G was doing a turn at that time .....with hair i believe..... not seen the afro pics yet.

What about venues..... I know Barrowby...and the old Arnoldfield was a bit of a MOD Northern venue late 70's.

Was talking to Biz a few weeks ago and he told me a few good stories about Tony,s house by the church and what went on there :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest hotwax

Was talking to Biz a few weeks ago and he told me a few good stories about Tony,s house by the church and what went on there :thumbsup:

ohhhhh yes biz and that loonatic webby.....everytime i went in his mini i put my life in his hands

the stories are true ....alledgedly

Social source share

Guest hotwax

Your life ain't worth diddly squat biggrin.gif

Webby ?? do you mean sinbad ??

No not sinbad

webby emigrated to australia i think and he's due due back soon if he behaves :yes: you know time off for good behaviour

There was boogie and i dont remember him djing and he is a year or 2 older than me ...may be he will know any 70's Grantham DJ's and venues as will the illoustrious wocko......

Social source share

No not sinbad

webby emigrated to australia i think and he's due due back soon if he behaves :lol: you know time off for good behaviour

There was boogie and i dont remember him djing and he is a year or 2 older than me ...may be he will know any 70's Grantham DJ's and venues as will the illoustrious wocko......

You mean Mark Webb who went doon under, i speak to him every now and then, he came to Barrowby & Skeggy last time he was here.

Wocko cannot remember what he did yesterday never mind the 70,s :)

Roy doesn't speak to me anymore, he,s moved on now to another mate, you will know him as Grantham No1 DJ, to us mortals he is just called Mick Johnson :lol::yes:

Social source share

Guest hotwax

You mean Mark Webb who went doon under, i speak to him every now and then, he came to Barrowby & Skeggy last time he was here.

Wocko cannot remember what he did yesterday never mind the 70,s :D

Roy doesn't speak to me anymore, he,s moved on now to another mate, you will know him as Grantham No1 DJ, to us mortals he is just called Mick Johnson :thumbup::D

Thats the same Webby.......

so me old, whats on this weekend anything locally from all the local events in town at any one of the many Grantham pubs and clubs...

talking to Steve and he reckons that they used to have a soul night at the methodist church at the top of castlegate the same place where they hold the CD and Record fairs now...

you know where i can get a copy of that great After Eight northern sound by Len Boone - Love wont be denied .... a right stomper ...Loz will know that one .....four step clap or in wocko;s case two step clap :lol:

Social source share

Thats the same Webby.......

so me old, whats on this weekend anything locally from all the local events in town at any one of the many Grantham pubs and clubs...

talking to Steve and he reckons that they used to have a soul night at the methodist church at the top of castlegate the same place where they hold the CD and Record fairs now...

you know where i can get a copy of that great After Eight northern sound by Len Boone - Love wont be denied .... a right stomper ...Loz will know that one .....four step clap or in wocko;s case two step clap :thumbup:

Hi Hotwax

Nothing local this week end (that I know of), but next week Saturday 30th Aug it's Phoenix at the Squash Club on Harlaxton Road.

Barry

Social source share

Guest hotwax

Hi Hotwax

Nothing local this week end (that I know of), but next week Saturday 30th Aug it's Phoenix at the Squash Club on Harlaxton Road.

Barry

Should be there as long as it doesnt clash with the Aitrium :thumbup::D:lol::D:lol::lol::no::lol::yes:

laugh my big hairy ones lol

Social source share

I remember going to a dayer in the very early 8ts in Grantham load of us got off at the bus station and walked through the town to a place called the top hat (I think that was what it was called) we thought the town was closed as we were walking through it, not a soul about anywhere, really spooky it was anyhow, got to the venue and it was packed, one of the best all dayers ever.

Have got a couple of pics somewhere will post up.

Edited by Sister Dawn
Social source share

I remember going to a dayer in the very early 8ts in Grantham load of us got off at the bus station and walked through the town to a place called the top hat (I think that was what it was called) we thought the town was closed as we were walking through it, not a soul about anywhere, really spooky it was anyhow, got to the venue and it was packed, one of the best all dayers ever.

Have got a couple of pics somewhere will post up.

Hi Dawn,

Can you remember who ran it and who DJ'd ???, interesting to see pics thanks.

Ian.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Since those elusrious Maggie days spinning tunes at the Horse and Jockey it made me think about all the other great DJ's from Grantham and i wondered if anyone could help in creating a list and the sounds they played ?

I remember Maggie well from those days. She used to be a good ride behind the Conservative Club. Never spoke to her again after she said "thank you very much, now where's a real man" :hypocrite:

DJ's from Grantham?

Well earlier days circa '71 were Rick (Ric-Tic) Clark, Dave Owen etc down at the Rochford as it was then. Introduced me to a whole new world of sounds, Artistics, Philip Mitchell, Darrell Banks, J.J.Barnes, Major Lance, Billy Butler and so many other Wheel and Torch period biggies. Spent many nights round Andy Capes' house listening to choons.

Me, Gutty, Steve Lehair used to spin a few when we used to have a very small do (Wednesday nights) for a couple of months in that church hall at the top of Castlegate. There only used to be about 8 of us there but is was somewhere to play and listen to sounds.

Remember it well

"Mum, where's me skinners? Im' off to church hall".

"Won't do your ears any good listening to all that rubbish"

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

remember a BEV from grantham used to go out with charlie fienberg from LEEDS,also STEVE F and his sister BEV (not the same bev) get out and about still,were at burnley last week.Also remember going in the spotted cow on the way to CLEETHORPES atb tezza.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

remember a BEV from grantham used to go out with charlie fienberg from LEEDS,also STEVE F and his sister BEV (not the same bev) get out and about still,were at burnley last week.Also remember going in the spotted cow on the way to CLEETHORPES atb tezza.

Yeah, that was Bev Maguire, always a nice girl. She lived with Charlie for a while up New Street. The Steve F you refer to would be Steve Lehair who had a sister Bev. I thinks she's up Halifax nowadays, well she was about a year ago when I last spoke to her.

Social source share

I remember Maggie well from those days. She used to be a good ride behind the Conservative Club. Never spoke to her again after she said "thank you very much, now where's a real man" sad.gif

DJ's from Grantham?

Well earlier days circa '71 were Rick (Ric-Tic) Clark, Dave Owen etc down at the Rochford as it was then. Introduced me to a whole new world of sounds, Artistics, Philip Mitchell, Darrell Banks, J.J.Barnes, Major Lance, Billy Butler and so many other Wheel and Torch period biggies. Spent many nights round Andy Capes' house listening to choons.

Me, Gutty, Steve Lehair used to spin a few when we used to have a very small do (Wednesday nights) for a couple of months in that church hall at the top of Castlegate. There only used to be about 8 of us there but is was somewhere to play and listen to sounds.

Remember it well

"Mum, where's me skinners? Im' off to church hall".

"Won't do your ears any good listening to all that rubbish"

My Mrs remembers the wed nights at the church on castlegate, she never went in mind as her dad wouldn't let her rolleyes.gif , must have sat in the car with a window open :)

Ian.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

here ya go hope this jogs a few memories :lol:

me and sue can probaly confirm the venue as the Phoenix/After Eight as you can see the drab orange /red interior and the serving hatch for chips and sarnies sometimes the finest food in Grantham - Soul Cooking :lol: .

dont think many events were held here though.

Before it was the Pheonix/After Eight it was the Rochford Club circa 71/72. Just forget what night of the week was Northern but most of lads into Northern, who dropped off after the Torch closed, used to get down there.

Rick Clark

Mick Stevens

John Adams and his girlfriend Sherry from Notts (who worked in a Notts record shop, HMV I think)

Little Gez and Big Gez

Dave Owen

plus us youngsters including myself, Andy Capes, Gutty, Steve Lehair, Nidge Turner, Christine Bunn, the Miller sisters.

It even made Frank Elson's column in Blues & Soul. After that a few came from elsewhere bringing with 'em more up to date goodies that had come off Bradford market, Bob relf, Salvadores etc.

Lincoln crowd came over and got picked on by some of the towns tossers. There was a scrap outside and I remember we were sort of in the middle because we were friendly with the Lincoln lads. I remember Albert from Lincoln bopping a few locals.

Circa '73 we used to get down the Stonehouse. Again only a few of us with Poke and Manship spinning the choons but was well frequented by most diehards from Grantham, Stamford, Bourne, Melton, Spalding with some from Loughborough etc. Even managed to get J.J.Barnes down there which I think is the Stonehouse's only claim to fame.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Im from Grantham...shithole dead end town! Thats why i ran away to nighters! :lol:

Yup, just one of the reasons weekends were so attractive just so I could get outta there. Born and bred there, still there but could leave it tomorrow and not miss it one bit. Even lorry drivers used to pass it by when they were looking for a place to stop overnight.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Yup, just one of the reasons weekends were so attractive just so I could get outta there. Born and bred there, still there but could leave it tomorrow and not miss it one bit. Even lorry drivers used to pass it by when they were looking for a place to stop overnight.

Must admit i have only lived here for 14 years, came to work here and found love :lol: , well cheap bars anyway :lol:

Work dried up and we almost left town but i,m now back working in town (well Gonerby Moor anyway )

I quite like the town, it,s closeness to the A1 has plenty of scope :) , it,s cheapish to live here and only an hour (in my BMW) to the coast :lol:

J J Barnes here in town - wow!!! tell me more.

Ian.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Must admit i have only lived here for 14 years, came to work here and found love :lol: , well cheap bars anyway :lol:

Work dried up and we almost left town but i,m now back working in town (well Gonerby Moor anyway )

I quite like the town, it,s closeness to the A1 has plenty of scope :) , it,s cheapish to live here and only an hour (in my BMW) to the coast :lol:

J J Barnes here in town - wow!!! tell me more.

Ian.

The Stonehouse was a very small nightclubby type pub just south of South Witham at Stretton. Thinking back J.J. was there in about '74. The place had a small circa 10 foot x 12 ft dance floor sunk into the ground with railings surrounding it appart from the steps down.

J.J. and his band took up all the dance floor.

J.J. belting out Please let Me In, Real Humdinger, Sweet Sherry etc.

I think that night was a sell out as far as the Stonehouse went. There must have been at the most 50 of us there :D as some of the Donny crowd came down. Yup, every time I drive past I always take a quick glance at the place, memories and all that. In its own way it was a good little place, small dance floor but plenty of cushy seating to chill and chat.

Apprarantly at the very last Winter Wardens all-dayer Manship said to Poke "Not bad for two kids from the Stonehouse".

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yeah, that was Bev Maguire, always a nice girl. She lived with Charlie for a while up New Street. The Steve F you refer to would be Steve Lehair who had a sister Bev. I thinks she's up Halifax nowadays, well she was about a year ago when I last spoke to her.

he still has a sister called.........and a nicer bro and sis.....iv'e yet to meet :rolleyes:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The Stonehouse was a very small nightclubby type pub just south of South Witham at Stretton. Thinking back J.J. was there in about '74. The place had a small circa 10 foot x 12 ft dance floor sunk into the ground with railings surrounding it appart from the steps down.

J.J. and his band took up all the dance floor.

J.J. belting out Please let Me In, Real Humdinger, Sweet Sherry etc.

I think that night was a sell out as far as the Stonehouse went. There must have been at the most 50 of us there :lol: as some of the Donny crowd came down. Yup, every time I drive past I always take a quick glance at the place, memories and all that. In its own way it was a good little place, small dance floor but plenty of cushy seating to chill and chat.

Apprarantly at the very last Winter Wardens all-dayer Manship said to Poke "Not bad for two kids from the Stonehouse".

JJ at the Stonehouse, remember it well, no the sort of gig that happened in our area much.

Going back the the "After Eight" Club in town, we had a Northern Soul roadshow down there with a young Richard Searling, and i think Rob Smith, can`t for the life of me think who the other DJ`s were. I remember them flogging the "legendary" Spark label singles down there.

Social source share

Before it was the Pheonix/After Eight it was the Rochford Club circa 71/72. Just forget what night of the week was Northern but most of lads into Northern, who dropped off after the Torch closed, used to get down there.

Rick Clark

Mick Stevens

John Adams and his girlfriend Sherry from Notts (who worked in a Notts record shop, HMV I think)

Little Gez and Big Gez

Dave Owen

plus us youngsters including myself, Andy Capes, Gutty, Steve Lehair, Nidge Turner, Christine Bunn, the Miller sisters.

It even made Frank Elson's column in Blues & Soul. After that a few came from elsewhere bringing with 'em more up to date goodies that had come off Bradford market, Bob relf, Salvadores etc.

Lincoln crowd came over and got picked on by some of the towns tossers. There was a scrap outside and I remember we were sort of in the middle because we were friendly with the Lincoln lads. I remember Albert from Lincoln bopping a few locals.

Circa '73 we used to get down the Stonehouse. Again only a few of us with Poke and Manship spinning the choons but was well frequented by most diehards from Grantham, Stamford, Bourne, Melton, Spalding with some from Loughborough etc. Even managed to get J.J.Barnes down there which I think is the Stonehouse's only claim to fame.

Anybody remember Ian Smart, he went to OZ yonks ago, used to go to Wigan with him occasionally, The gorgeous (then) Jackie Thomas, went to South Africa in the mid 70`s, my Ex Mo Warwick (saddly no longer with us)

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Anybody remember Ian Smart, he went to OZ yonks ago, used to go to Wigan with him occasionally, The gorgeous (then) Jackie Thomas, went to South Africa in the mid 70`s, my Ex Mo Warwick (saddly no longer with us)

Yup Steve, I remember them well, there again you must know I do. Who can forget Smarty. Must admit I'd forgotten about Jacky Thomas though. As you know Mo was my hitching partner up and down the AI to Stamford for the Cleethorpes busload.

Do you still remember going to Wigan in Niv the Div's mini during the three-day week when petrol was short. Borrowing a gallon of petrol to get back as far as we could only for the Mini's gear-box to end up all over the M6. Freezing cold and the AA wouldn't take us more than 5 miles (bastards). You were the only one with any dosh left so you bailed us out with the train fare.

See ya Friday, Dave

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Steve Gutteridge - Fact, the old bill raided selecta disc on Arkwright St in Notts, I think Andy Capes was with me.

They ushered us all out the back door and into a wooden shed, it was stacked with "pressings" I can still smell them to this day.

Think it was Hecter from Selecta who ran the place, who was from Derby.

Bloody hell Steve, that was a close one. You'd have had yer chips if they'd have sent in the bootleg sniffer dog affectionately known as Arnie the Acetate

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

• 1 month later...

:wave: Tont Clayton lived at the old framland rectory in Harston after he moved from the Rectory at Eaton (last i heard was he lived in the lace market, nottm).

Biz is still around , hes a good mate of mine, Webby lives in Coffs harbour (Oz) and eats sleeps breathes Northern soul. Neil olive will be back, i'll wager that. Wokko (Frank/Steve) is 465 yrs old but he's been there and done that (Torch, Casino, cleethorpes etc etc)

Ian Smart is long since gone, i know his younger Brother Mark well, we went to school together , he still does the Nationals in Aus im reliably informed by Webby!

there are lots of faces still doing a bit, myself included. in fact , if i get home in time i'll be down to Kontaks's next friday .

IAN p.s. TMG, is that you Ian :wave:

p.p.s , heres a rare photo, Soul Sam Dancing :( (with boogie looking on)

post-14474-1226680334_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert