" Big City, Mid-tempo, Shufflers "

Russoul1

after the success of the last couple of themed nights, we are more than pleased to present you good soul folk with;

"BIG CITY, MID-TEMPO, SHUFFLERS"

@ The Atrium, The City, Priestgate, Peterborough, PE1 1JL

Friday 28th November 8 - 1am

£3.00 on the door

Guest djs; Paul Johnson & Phil Rains

Res djs; Russ n Ray (please no stupid puns!!)

as always "QUALITY" being the main focus on what is played on the night

so if you like a easy going, friendly, smart venue and like it MID TEMPO, The City will be the coolest place to be and not because

its in a conservatory in november!!!

for more info pm or email russel.holley@btinternet.com or raymahoney@yahoo.com

OR SEE EVENTS CALENDER FOR MORE DETAILS

Edited by russoul1
  • Replies 47
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Count us in for this Ray N Russ,ive not heard me ole mate PJ the DJ (Paul) play out in ages,hes got some wonderfull records,he had all the big titles even before they were big if you get what i mean.....very underated DJ imo.

Toby.

wish ray & russ all the best for this night,had a great night last time. two guys with the right attitude to promote a soul night thats a little bit different :lol: sorry i cant make it myself as i've already made plans for that night
thanks danny, av a gud one at burnley will see you at bedford on the saturday looking forward to hearing you play thumbsup.gif

regards

russ

Count us in for this Ray N Russ,ive not heard me ole mate PJ the DJ (Paul) play out in ages,hes got some wonderfull records,he had all the big titles even before they were big if you get what i mean.....very underated DJ imo.

Toby.

be good to see ya toby as always, yes am looking forward to pauls set aswell as my good friend phil rains, again very

underated collector/dj with a great ear for the music, 2 local lads with a great taste in soul music!!

only downside to this event is that it clashes with the last night at hitchin good luck to graham n andy and sorry

that we clash.

Guest Catfish

Couldn't make last time as had a terrible cold- will def. not miss this time but will be late- as have orchestra rehearsal in Downham Market till 10- will come over straight after.

M

x

Toby.

All the best for this night boys...was talking to paul the other day about this event...i'm gonna do me best and try and get up to this.... thumbsup.gif ...so glad that paul is out & about dj'ing again...have asked him to come down to sunny southampton next year and spin some toons for us at the Crown so fingers crosssed..your not wrong when you say that paul has got some top toons...and not forgetting phil...with those two spinning some it's defo gonna be a top night.. thumbup.gif

I will have to go and see the family though in little ELY or i will be in trouble....lol....

be good to see ya toby as always, yes am looking forward to pauls set aswell as my good friend phil rains, again very

underated collector/dj with a great ear for the music, 2 local lads with a great taste in soul music!!

only downside to this event is that it clashes with the last night at hitchin good luck to graham n andy and sorry

that we clash.

shame about the clash russ, expect the usual crew.

yes it is andy, be good to to see you good folk from the huntingdon,st.ives area as per usual

andy will see you thursday night to play some tunes :rolleyes:

russ

see ya later russ.

got some new arrivals to play

see ya later russ.

got some new arrivals to play

Only two weeks to go to another refreshingly different night put on by the two 'R's, Ray and Russ...Feel very excited to be given a spot, not just because my soul brother, Paul Johnson is dj'ing too, but also 'cos i love midtempo and this gives me a chance to unleach some sounds outside of my bedroom! Already have been shuffling stuff around the playbox, so will be doing my utmost (as will all of us), to play some blinders. Should be a great selection of stuff encompassing various styles that are not obvious uptempo oldies! And yes, Gerri Shivers is ready and waiting to be played for you 'St Ives Soulie'... make sure you're there,it ain't far from Whittlesey!!

After the hugely sucessful "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Upfront, Uptempo, Uptown" theme nights I along with Russ :D are really looking forward to this next one - titled: "Big City, Midtempo & Shufflers".

The theme this time round focussing on sounds that sit just bellow uptempo, down to midtempo and down further to beat ballad - plus anything in between.

The emphasis on these nights is Quality Soul whether that is 60's -70's through to Modern, Underplayed, Top500, Forgotten Oldies, Motown, Classics etc... etc.. whatever sounds fresh and interesting on the night with Quality being the key - Simple! :lol: .

Weve got two great local DJ's lined up for this one - Paul Johnson and Phil Rains :yes: .

If you havent been to 'The City' before here are a couple of photos of the venue.

post-7608-1226759700_thumb.jpg

post-7608-1226759712.jpeg

post-7608-1226759721.jpeg

post-7608-1226759741.jpeg

'The City' is a magnificent building in the heart/centre of Peterborough - 2 mins walk from the Railway station. The venue has its own built in sound system, comfy seating chill out area and late bar. Record dealers always welcome - there was plenty of activity last time :lol: !

8pm untill 1am - with a late bar :yes:

Postal code for the venue is PE1 1JL

Dont forget it's not £5 or £6+ :g: to get in - it's a mere £3 OTD :D .

Edited by Raym

After the hugely sucessful "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Upfront, Uptempo, Uptown" theme nights I along with Russ :D are really looking forward to this next one - titled: "Big City, Midtempo & Shufflers".

The theme this time round focussing on sounds that sit just bellow uptempo, down to midtempo and down further to beat ballad - plus anything in between.

The emphasis on these nights is Quality Soul whether that is 60's -70's through to Modern, Underplayed, Top500, Forgotten Oldies, Motown, Classics etc... etc.. whatever sounds fresh and interesting on the night with Quality being the key - Simple! :lol: .

Weve got two great local DJ's lined up for this one - Paul Johnson and Phil Rains :yes: .

If you havent been to 'The City' before here are a couple of photos of the venue.

post-7608-1226759700_thumb.jpg

post-7608-1226759712.jpeg

post-7608-1226759721.jpeg

post-7608-1226759741.jpeg

'The City' is a magnificent building in the heart/centre of Peterborough - 2 mins walk from the Railway station. The venue has its own built in sound system, comfy seating chill out area and late bar. Record dealers always welcome - there was plenty of activity last time :lol: !

8pm untill 1am - with a late bar :yes:

Postal code for the venue is PE1 1JL

Dont forget it's not £5 or £6+ :g: to get in - it's a mere £3 OTD :D .

Yep, just the price of a pint to get in and no ridiculous queues at the bar ... everything is 'just right'!

Only two weeks to go to another refreshingly different night put on by the two 'R's, Ray and Russ...Feel very excited to be given a spot, not just because my soul brother, Paul Johnson is dj'ing too, but also 'cos i love midtempo and this gives me a chance to unleach some sounds outside of my bedroom! Already have been shuffling stuff around the playbox, so will be doing my utmost (as will all of us), to play some blinders. Should be a great selection of stuff encompassing various styles that are not obvious uptempo oldies! And yes, Gerri Shivers is ready and waiting to be played for you 'St Ives Soulie'... make sure you're there,it ain't far from Whittlesey!!

:P If my dodgy back allows I hope to drive up from Gillingham for this nite.

Top marks to Ray for the theme of this one.

For me, one of the bonuses of doing an early doors slot is that it allows a bit of self indulgence in playing down-mid tempo. It's gonna make a refreshing change to hear them played throughout the night by someone else! Also, dodgy back=no dancing so the theme sits even better with me at the mo'.

-Kev Kent

Guest stivessoulie

:P I better get myself down there then x

As long as that's all youre gonna unleash ("unleach"?!) from the bedroom Phil!! Yep, certainly looking forward to what you and Paul are gonna bring along on the night.

Thats the great thing about these "Theme" nights - you cant/dont just bring along your 'usual' play box. You've gotta pull out all the records that are not gonna fit in with the evenings "theme" - and that (certainly in my case) means a whole load of great records have to go back on the shelves - BUT allows a whole load of great records that do meet the "theme" to come off the shelves. Its really great then having a listen to some of these records that you havent played for a while - and they sound ...king fantastic! Simple job then stuffing about 250 records into a 200 capacity box!! This is what keeps these nights FRESH and INTERESTING.

Edited by Raym

wish ray & russ all the best for this night,had a great night last time. two guys with the right attitude to promote a soul night thats a little bit different :lol: sorry i cant make it myself as i've already made plans for that night

Thanks for the positive comment - everyone had a great night last time and I am sure we will feature another 'uptempo' theme sometime during 2009. If we do then I am pretty sure we will ask you back again. Have a great night whatever you are doing on 28th. Ray

Thanks for the positive comment - everyone had a great night last time and I am sure we will feature another 'uptempo' theme sometime during 2009. If we do then I am pretty sure we will ask you back again. Have a great night whatever you are doing on 28th. Ray

cheers ray, i'm at the burnley alnighter that night :rolleyes:

Couple of photos (cheers Skip) from the last one - "Upfront, Uptempo, Uptown"

post-7608-1227180144.jpg

Russ on the left - Ray on the right

post-7608-1227180152.jpg

Bar area

post-7608-1227180161.jpg

Even Anoraks are welcome!

post-7608-1227180168.jpg

Russ being jolly nice on the mic!

post-7608-1227181835.jpg

Couple of young ladies enjoying the comfy sofa area

post-7608-1227181845.jpg

Dance floor area

post-7608-1227181855.jpg

Dance floor again

post-7608-1227181862.jpg

Bar area again - mines a Budweiser!

Edited by Raym

Fellas, don't forget to mention there's a nice big table for record sellers. There was some real nice stuff for sale at the last one thumbsup.gif

I've got to go over to Stewartby & set up the sound equipment on the Friday evening for the following night, but will try & get over when I'm done.

Paul & Phil - going to be some top quality played :D

Fellas, don't forget to mention there's a nice big table for record sellers. There was some real nice stuff for sale at the last one :shhh:

I've got to go over to Stewartby & set up the sound equipment on the Friday evening for the following night, but will try & get over when I'm done.

Paul & Phil - going to be some top quality played :wave:

Looking forward to next weekend..fri night midtempo theme night in Peterborough and then sat, a night of allnight dancing at Stewartby! Can't wait! See you all friday

Thanks all for the positive comments (not all via Soul-source!) for our previous 'theme' nights and during the build up for this one.

Anyone going Hunstanton Weekender that fancies calling in for a pint en-route

just PM me and come along for an hour for FREE.

Dont forget it just 3 shirt buttons (I mean £3 otd) to get in!!

hi paul, me and ray were starting to think you guys didnt like us!!

will catch up soon

russ

not at all Russ!!!.We love you guys...just finding it difficult getting to the Fens!!!.

Hope you all have a stormer , at the bar and behind the decks.Will def catch up soon,,,,Kev :rolleyes:

Edited by KevH

Can't wait, ive dusted off my Detroit, shined my styreene and pollished my Pittsburgh. So many records i would love to play, my only wish that is that i don't dissapoint any one on the night, and if you don't know the track that is being played, if you like it, give it a go. I don't care about ego's i will play a £5 record next to a £500 record if it fits the mood. It's all about having a good time, below is a few artists and groups that you may haer from me on the night, but nothing set in stone at this time as me and Phil may double deck so you, the soul fan get the best out of us.............. Johnny Gilliam - Jimmy Burns - Brooks O' Dell -Jo Armsted - The Corvells - The Tempos - George Wilson - The Soulettes - Fabulous Apollos - George Perkins - Barbara Mercer - Maxine Brown - Rotations - T.S.U. Toronadoes - Roscoe Robinson - William Hunt - Cynthia & the Imaginations - Albert Jones - Tobi Lark - Valerie Lamar (for Toby) The Magicians - Sandy Hollis - Rocky Gil & the Bishops - Sea Shells - Denna Johnson - Lee Stone - The Falcons - Jimmy Helms etc. If sounds like your kinda night get yourselfs down to "THE CITY" early doors, if this sounds like your cuppa tea, i think it might be a packer as it's being pluged on radio etc. We will do our best to entertain you .............. Paul :rolleyes:

Can't wait, ive dusted off my Detroit, shined my styreene and pollished my Pittsburgh. So many records i would love to play, my only wish that is that i don't dissapoint any one on the night, and if you don't know the track that is being played, if you like it, give it a go. I don't care about ego's i will play a £5 record next to a £500 record if it fits the mood. It's all about having a good time, below is a few artists and groups that you may haer from me on the night, but nothing set in stone at this time as me and Phil may double deck so you, the soul fan get the best out of us.............. Johnny Gilliam - Jimmy Burns - Brooks O' Dell -Jo Armsted - The Corvells - The Tempos - George Wilson - The Soulettes - Fabulous Apollos - George Perkins - Barbara Mercer - Maxine Brown - Rotations - T.S.U. Toronadoes - Roscoe Robinson - William Hunt - Cynthia & the Imaginations - Albert Jones - Tobi Lark - Valerie Lamar (for Toby) The Magicians - Sandy Hollis - Rocky Gil & the Bishops - Sea Shells - Denna Johnson - Lee Stone - The Falcons - Jimmy Helms etc. If sounds like your kinda night get yourselfs down to "THE CITY" early doors, if this sounds like your cuppa tea, i think it might be a packer as it's being pluged on radio etc. We will do our best to entertain you .............. Paul :lol:
nice one paul, will cross the corvells, brooks o"dell, falcons depending on which one was gonna play "love look in her eyes"

off the play list so will be playing from; george wydell, douglas banks, bonny herman, thelma lindsey, the volumes, falcons, george

freeman, malcolm hayes, ruby & the romantics, miracles, kelly st.clair, timothy wilson, mary moultrie, jimmy stokes, bobby hutton,

dramatics, ozz & the sterlings, janice, george jackson, liz verdi, exits, spiedels, spidells etc

well now starting to get a wee excited, will be interesting to see who turns up as there is so much on this weekend, but all we can

offer is a quality night of soulful soul :rolleyes:

Edited by russoul1

"EVERY THINGS GONNA ALLRIGHT" No i'm not playing it.Would really like to hear from some peps that are attending. Boosts up the buzz, i think there will be a fair few in, but it's allways the same can't get there, or the wifes in labour. Come on lets hear from you, "we really want to see those fingers" Any way Phil your're there to look after me, you know with all my medication that i get my mucking words fudled up. It's gonna be a great night "get your car or your motor bike" and get on down to THE CITY

SAD SAM (AKA) Paul Johnson :ohmy:

"EVERY THINGS GONNA ALLRIGHT" No i'm not playing it.Would really like to hear from some peps that are attending. Boosts up the buzz, i think there will be a fair few in, but it's allways the same can't get there, or the wifes in labour. Come on lets hear from you, "we really want to see those fingers" Any way Phil your're there to look after me, you know with all my medication that i get my mucking words fudled up. It's gonna be a great night "get your car or your motor bike" and get on down to THE CITY

SAD SAM (AKA) Paul Johnson thumbsup.gif

hi paul

will have sully with me , looking forward to your set mate, the last time was nogsy`s 40th . :thumbup: .

see you friday :thumbup:

gibber

Edited by gibber

Map link for anyone that hasn't been before - just click on following link!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...&iwloc=addr

Quick reminder also - don't park behind 'The City' venue (as Barclays bank etc.. will clamp you!). Instead, follow the road down (one way street) about 25yds and there is parking down past "Ask" Restuarant - off a left hand turning.

See you all Friday! Ray

Edited by Raym

Hi Benny, rumour has it that Nogsy is comming along too on Friday!
yes i heard that rumour to, also terry moyse and kev draper are apparently showing there faces too.

just had a pm from john and wendy who are coming, so sounds like a great following from the st.ives & huntington areas

thanks for your support folks

just noticed liam & adam first timers, be good to meet you guys thumbsup.gif i believe there from the st.ives area

russ

yes i heard that rumour to, also terry moyse and kev draper are apparently showing there faces too.

just had a pm from john and wendy who are coming, so sounds like a great following from the st.ives & huntington areas

thanks for your support folks

just noticed liam & adam first timers, be good to meet you guys :shades: i believe there from the st.ives area

russ

Terry Moyse & Kev Draper & Nogsy...... Oooooooooh!!

Liam & Adam - yeah, make sure you introduce yourselves!

Agree with you Russ - can't fault the support from the St.Ives and Huntingdon areas.

COME ON !!! :shades:

COME ON!!! :D

COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.gif

IT'S HERE !!!!! biggrin.gif

"IF YOU WANT -SOME ONE - TO LOVE YOU - I'M WHERE IT AT - where it at AND NEED - SOME ONE HUG YOU - I'M WHERE IT'S AT where its at. ( I CAN'T PLAY THAT - i can't play that )

NOT REALLY WHERE IT'S AT IS

"THE CITY"

PETERBOROUGH

TONIGHT

COME ON !!! :D

COME ON!!! :(

COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy:

IT'S HERE !!!!! :lol:

"IF YOU WANT -SOME ONE - TO LOVE YOU - I'M WHERE IT AT - where it at AND NEED - SOME ONE HUG YOU - I'M WHERE IT'S AT where its at. ( I CAN'T PLAY THAT - i can't play that )

NOT REALLY WHERE IT'S AT IS

"THE CITY"

PETERBOROUGH

TONIGHT

bloody hell paul keep taking them tablets!!

DONT FORGET PARKING IS £1.20 ALL NIGHT, DRIVE PAST "THE CITY" TO SMALL JUNCTION, DRIVE ACROSS THEN TAKE

THE NEXT LEFT CARPARK AT THE END OF ROAD, 2 MINS WALK TO THE CLUB

see you all later

russ

first soul do for over 15 years and absolutely gobsmacked with the quality of the music

(didnt have the balls to have a dance though)

when a dj put on Rhonda davis "do you remember" had to go up and ask him what it was

thanks goes out to the people who put it together

cheers

mick

Source Advert