Mike Terry Tribute Night

Guest sandi

For those who did not attend this very special venue, that was organised by Hitsville Chalky as a tribute to Mike Terry and all that he stood for and contributed to what we now know as the soul scene, then all l can say is that you missed a fantastic night of Detroit soulful music........For me on a personal level l was disgusted that the numbers were down, yet thats what l've come to expect these days. It really makes me stop and think about whats happening to the scene, what ever happened to the motto "KEEP THE FAITH" ?, well it looks like it's just a hand full of us especially in the west mids that is doing just that.

Everyone in attendance tonight are of the same opinion, so well done to all that made the effort to remember a guy who gave us so much and had nothing in return,not a penny............The event was also arranged to help finance funeral expenses for his daughter, in all there were about 25/30 people who attendend and between us we managed to raise £140 for the cause,it's not alot ,when you consider what Mike Terry did for us, but l'm glad l was a part of this tribute to him.

Musically it was the best oldies night l have attendended in years, the D.J's were fantastic with one great record being played after another.

D.J's were Burnley Dave,Eddie Hubbard,Ted Massey,Swoz,Hitsville Chalky, and some of the records played were,

Showstoppers /Aint Nothing But A House Party

Darryll Banks/ Somebody Some Where.

Deon Jackson/ Thats What You Do To Me.

Sonny Allen/Your Love Was So Wonderful.

Jimmy Mack/My World Is On Fire

Donnie Burdick/Bari Track.

Moses Smith/ Girl Across The Street.

Mary Wells/Cant You See You're Losing Me.

Luther Ingram/Exus Trek.

The precisions/ If This Is Love.

I'm sure the D.J's will be posting their full play lists on here later.

Well done Chalky and everyone who made this a great night for me.

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just to say, those who didn't make this night really missed out on a musical treat, of the highest quality.

Full marks to all the D.J.'s, with such a wealth of musical output to choose from it was always gonna be great, but you all really did hit the spot.

Anyone who was unable to attend, but feels they might want to contribute to the collection can contact Hitsville Chalky.

Soul heaven finds itself far the richer, now this wonderfully talented man has joined the esteemed choir of angels.

Thanks to all involved.

Regards

Harpo

For those who care, I played :-

You Gave Me Something - Fantastic Four - Ric Tic

It's The Same Old Song - Four Tops - Motown

Please Let Me In - J.J. Barnes - Ric Tic

Headline news - Edwin Starr - Ric Tic

The horse - Cliff Nobles - Phil L.A.

Practice what you've been Preachin - La Vettes - Phillips

Ain't nothin but a house party - Showstoppers - Showtime

Sweet sherry - J.J. Barnes - Contempo

SOS (Stop her on sight)- Edwin Starr - Ric Tic

Girl across the stree t- Moses Smith - Dionn

The Laws Of Love - Volcanos - Arctic

Bobby is my baby- Barbara Mason - Arctic

You're my mellow - Edwin Starr - Ric Tic

Can't you see (you're losing me) - Mary Wells - Atlantic Germany

Love is like an itching in my heart - Supremes - Motown

To win your heart - Laura Lee - Ric Tic

Somebody (Somewhere) Needs You - Darrell Banks

Open the door to your heart- Darrell Banks

What Can I Do - Lorraine Chandler - RCA

I Can't Change - Sensations & Yvonne Baker - Junior

I Don't Want To Live Without You - Fantastic Four - Ric Tic

Thanks to those who turned up, and gave something back to someone who gave us so much. It was a musical treat all evening, and a pleasure to be involved in.

Best, Dave.

Edited by Briles

Many thanks for inviting me to DJ Dave and Chalky , it was an honour to play an hour of Mike Terry's contribution to our Soul scene , such a shame that so few people were there to enjoy it . I know people may have had their own reasons for not attending , but to pay homage to a guy who has given Soul music lovers the world over such pleasure , I hoped in vain that any personal issues could have been overcome , sadly it wasn't to be .Anyway here's my playlist :

FUNK BROTHERS - THIS OLD HEART OF MINE

JIMMEY SOUL CLARK - SWEET DARLIN'

FANTASTIC 4 - AS LONG AS THE FEELING IS THERE

TERRI BRYANT - WHEN I'M IN YOUR ARMS

JO ARMSTEAD - A STONE GOOD LOVER

GARLAND GREEN - AIN'T THAT GOOD ENOUGH

SHIRLEY LAWSON - ONE MORE CHANCE

MILTON WRIGHT - I BELONG TO YOU

DIANE LEWIS - KEEP A HOLD ON ME

BARBARA LEWIS - THE STARS

RHETTA HUGHES - CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP

HESITATIONS - THATS WHAT LOVE IS

MAXINE BROWN - DON'T LEAVE ME BABY

JJ BARNES - BABY PLEASE COME BACK HOME

INNOCENT BYSTANDERS - FRANTIC ESCAPE

NATURELLES - LOVE HAS JOINED US TOGETHER

DEON JACKSON - THAT'S WHAT YOU DO TO ME

O'JAYS - I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU

SONNY ALLEN - YOUR LOVE WAS SO WONDERFUL

FUNK BROTHERS - NOWHERE TO RUN

JACK MONTGOMERY - MY DEAR BELOVED

ROTATIONS - PUT A DIME ON D- 9

LOLLIPOPS - LOVING GOOD FEELING

TONY HESTOR - WATCH YOURSELF

KRIS PETERSON - JUST AS MUCH

THE EXCELS - LITTLE INNOCENT GIRL

DARROW FLETCHER - WHAT GOOD AM I WITHOUT YOU

Just to say that every DJ played stunning sets , all touched by the creative magic of Andrew Mike Terry .God bless you , you've left a wonderful musical legacy .Best,Eddie

Quite frankly I was appalled by the attendance.

I counted a maximum of 26 people and that included all the DJ's and their partners.

Whether the lack of numbers was down to the credit crunch, closeness to Christmas or politics I don't know, and don't really care.

I still can't believe there was such a low turn out, at a free event, to honour one of the scenes legends.

This night was a celebration of a musical genius who has given so much pleasure to so many people over so many years.

Those lucky enough to be there experienced a musical treat.

The diversity of the records played was outstanding.

The play lists reflect that.

One of the best nights I've been to in a long time.

Such a shame more people didn't get to hear it.

Yes, poor showing last night, I wasn't expecting it to be rammed full but 60 or 70 people would have been nice. I also agree about the music, some I hadn't heard before, some I hadn't heard for years but all of them great records. I thought the sound system was good but without a crowd, the place lacks atmosphere. Feel sorry for Chalky (and any other local WM promoters) who put their heart and soul into setting these evenings up and people not being arsed to come. I hold my hands up to not supporting the local scene as much as I should however there must be enough of us in the Black Country to keep attendaces healthy. Ade

I dont know what the problem is in the west midlands, politics as most people say I guess but as an outsider I think its a shame that people couldn't be arsed to support such a worthwhile event. The music was out of this world so heartfelt thanks to all the DJ's that kept playing the sounds in what to them must have been a depressing atmosphere to what they are used to. Whats the solution chalky I dont know but if you put one on in a different area say Banbury Me and the better half woud definitely be there. Thanks once again for putting on one of the best nights of Detroit soul it has ever been my privilege to be at;

Regards

Ian n Odette

For those who care, I played :-

You Gave Me Something - Fantastic Four - Ric Tic

It's The Same Old Song - Four Tops - Motown

Please Let Me In - J.J. Barnes - Ric Tic

Headline news - Edwin Starr - Ric Tic

The horse - Cliff Nobles - Phil L.A.

Practice what you've been Preachin - La Vettes - Phillips

Ain't nothin but a house party - Showstoppers - Showtime

Sweet sherry - J.J. Barnes - Contempo

SOS (Stop her on sight)- Edwin Starr - Ric Tic

Girl across the stree t- Moses Smith - Dionn

The Laws Of Love - Volcanos - Arctic

Bobby is my baby- Barbara Mason - Arctic

You're my mellow - Edwin Starr - Ric Tic

Can't you see (you're losing me) - Mary Wells - Atlantic Germany

Love is like an itching in my heart - Supremes - Motown

To win your heart - Laura Lee - Ric Tic

Somebody (Somewhere) Needs You - Darrell Banks

Open the door to your heart- Darrell Banks

What Can I Do - Lorraine Chandler - RCA

I Can't Change - Sensations & Yvonne Baker - Junior

I Don't Want To Live Without You - Fantastic Four - Ric Tic

Thanks to those who turned up, and gave something back to someone who gave us so much. It was a musical treat all evening, and a pleasure to be involved in.

Best, Dave.

We cared Dave and you like the rest of the d.j's were outstanding, just ashame so many lost out, but for what it's worth, we are all the richer soul wise then most.........well done.

Sandi x

Quite frankly I was appalled by the attendance.

I counted a maximum of 26 people and that included all the DJ's and their partners.

Whether the lack of numbers was down to the credit crunch, closeness to Christmas or politics I don't know, and don't really care.

I still can't believe there was such a low turn out, at a free event, to honour one of the scenes legends.

This night was a celebration of a musical genius who has given so much pleasure to so many people over so many years.

Those lucky enough to be there experienced a musical treat.

The diversity of the records played was outstanding.

The play lists reflect that.

One of the best nights I've been to in a long time.

Such a shame more people didn't get to hear it.

This post is echo'ed by all 26 of us who enjoyed the evening, those who lost out ................tough shit..........like l have already commented, so little repect for such a fantastic guy who gave freely so much for our enjoyment................Tribute to Mr Terry,and best wishes for his family and the people who loved him he has left behind.

All the other posts have said what I would have said. So I won't add to it. But I will say one of the best nights of Soul I have been to and I not just saying that because of the poor attendance. Brillant sets by all the lads spinning the tunes. Would like to see Ted Massey's play list up please! Ted has always got a few hidden gems in there I haven't heard. Well done to everyone who made the effort to attend. To think 26 of us raised nearly £150 is fantastic.

Charlie Mc

Banbury Soul Club

I dont know what the problem is in the west midlands, politics as most people say I guess but as an outsider I think its a shame that people couldn't be arsed to support such a worthwhile event. The music was out of this world so heartfelt thanks to all the DJ's that kept playing the sounds in what to them must have been a depressing atmosphere to what they are used to. Whats the solution chalky I dont know but if you put one on in a different area say Banbury Me and the better half woud definitely be there. Thanks once again for putting on one of the best nights of Detroit soul it has ever been my privilege to be at;

Regards

Ian n Odette

Thanks Ian , it was good to meet yourself and Odette , really pleased you enjoyed it .Might try and organise another Mike Terry night down our way , as he deserves a better showing than friday , despite Dave and Chalky's great effort .Best wishes ,Eddie

Guest Phil Richards

For those who did not attend this very special venue, that was organised by Hitsville Chalky as a tribute to Mike Terry and all that he stood for and contributed to what we now know as the soul scene, then all l can say is that you missed a fantastic night of Detroit soulful music........For me on a personal level l was disgusted that the numbers were down, yet thats what l've come to expect these days. It really makes me stop and think about whats happening to the scene, what ever happened to the motto "KEEP THE FAITH" ?, well it looks like it's just a hand full of us especially in the west mids that is doing just that.

Everyone in attendance tonight are of the same opinion, so well done to all that made the effort to remember a guy who gave us so much and had nothing in return,not a penny............The event was also arranged to help finance funeral expenses for his daughter, in all there were about 25/30 people who attendend and between us we managed to raise £140 for the cause,it's not alot ,when you consider what Mike Terry did for us, but l'm glad l was a part of this tribute to him.

Musically it was the best oldies night l have attendended in years, the D.J's were fantastic with one great record being played after another.

D.J's were Burnley Dave,Eddie Hubbard,Ted Massey,Swoz,Hitsville Chalky, and some of the records played were,

Showstoppers /Aint Nothing But A House Party

Darryll Banks/ Somebody Some Where.

Deon Jackson/ Thats What You Do To Me.

Sonny Allen/Your Love Was So Wonderful.

Jimmy Mack/My World Is On Fire

Donnie Burdick/Bari Track.

Moses Smith/ Girl Across The Street.

Mary Wells/Cant You See You're Losing Me.

Luther Ingram/Exus Trek.

The precisions/ If This Is Love.

I'm sure the D.J's will be posting their full play lists on here later.

Well done Chalky and everyone who made this a great night for me.

Have to say you are spot there :thumbsup:

All the other posts have said what I would have said. So I won't add to it. But I will say one of the best nights of Soul I have been to and I not just saying that because of the poor attendance. Brillant sets by all the lads spinning the tunes. Would like to see Ted Massey's play list up please! Ted has always got a few hidden gems in there I haven't heard. Well done to everyone who made the effort to attend. To think 26 of us raised nearly £150 is fantastic.

Charlie Mc

Banbury Soul Club

C.Mc

you put my thoughts to print thank's.

chalky all is not lost , I promised you that for every £6.00 addmission taken on our new years eve allnighter at the oakley club. the £1.00

will go to your fund. thanks for a great night, just sad it should have been a packer. to all the djs, brilliant play list's well done and to those who attended, many thanks for supporting the event.

Edited by swoz

just pop on line for 20 mins , so here it goes would like to thank the few who supported this night , big thanks to all djs , Eddie (great respect to Mike ) Ted another top notch of tunes mate , swoz thanks for you help bud , big thanks to Burnley Dave with out you i could not have done it , and also big thank you to Sandi and Harpo who done nothing but praise for my efforts for a specail one of night !

also to Ian ( Mr Motown ) and his wife , also to ade , Banbury lads .... aslways big respect .

I knew this would happen with the low support if i really put my true feelings down on here I would get banned from the site . we raised £140 on the night and I will be sending it with pride and respect .

just pop on line for 20 mins , so here it goes would like to thank the few who supported this night , big thanks to all djs , Eddie (great respect to Mike ) Ted another top notch of tunes mate , swoz thanks for you help bud , big thanks to Burnley Dave with out you i could not have done it , and also big thank you to Sandi and Harpo who done nothing but praise for my efforts for a specail one of night !

also to Ian ( Mr Motown ) and his wife , also to ade , Banbury lads .... aslways big respect .

I knew this would happen with the low support if i really put my true feelings down on here I would get banned from the site . we raised £140 on the night and I will be sending it with pride and respect .

Chalky, you say what you feel mate, l do !!!!! :thumbup:

It's still a free country, and freedom of speech is still acceptable, maybe not liked, but hey whats the worst thing that can happen if you speak your mind !!!!

Anyway whatever you may say as probably already been said if not by me and Harpo, then by a minority of true soulful brothers and sisters.

KEEP THE FAITH MY GOOD FRIEND.

Sandi xx

• 6 months later...

Hello Everyone,

This is Bridgette Mike Terry's Daughter. Has anyone heard from Chalky? I sure haven't. Would someone let me know if he is ok. I know that he had a function for my dad last year but I haven't heard from him. Could someone help me find Chalky he hasn't responded to my emails. My email address is imagesandmoments@aol.com

Thanks,

Bridgette

Hello Everyone,

This is Bridgette Mike Terry's Daughter. Has anyone heard from Chalky? I sure haven't. Would someone let me know if he is ok. I know that he had a function for my dad last year but I haven't heard from him. Could someone help me find Chalky he hasn't responded to my emails. My email address is imagesandmoments@aol.com

Thanks,

Bridgette

Chalky is on here under his name Hitsville Chalky Brigette .I can't believe that the money hasn't been forwarded on to you , we DJ'd at this night for free ,in good faith , as a tribute to your Dad , surely there must be some kind of mix up ?, I'll be really annoyed if that isn't the case .This needs sorting out sooner than later IMHO .Best ,Eddie

Chalky is on here under his name Hitsville Chalky Brigette .I can't believe that the money hasn't been forwarded on to you , we DJ'd at this night for free ,in good faith , as a tribute to your Dad , surely there must be some kind of mix up ?, I'll be really annoyed if that isn't the case .This needs sorting out sooner than later IMHO .Best ,Eddie

Thanks for your response Eddie and your support. I never received anything from Chalky. I've sent multiple emails to him. The last response was back in february. He stateed that he would be in the states sometime in March. I am concerned.

Thanks,

Bridgette

Source Advert