Northern Dancing Class

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Guest Jimmy Scriv

I see that in conjunction with the Manchester production of 'Once upon a Time in Wigan' that there is a Northern Soul Dancing Workshop!

Details:

Sat 7 May

Open workshop

A chance to learn to strut your stuff. Workshop coveres basic footwork, stomping, shuffling, spinning and acrobatics.

Most suitable for ages 16+

Time: 12pm - 1.30pm

Tickets: £6 (£5 Salford residents)

Workshops also available for colleges and groups.

Contact Paul Sadot on 0161 273 2101

Whatever next perhaps a Strictly Northern Come Dancing on the Box thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I see that in conjunction with the Manchester production of 'Once upon a Time in Wigan' that there is a Northern Soul Dancing Workshop!

Details:

Sat 7 May

Open workshop

A chance to learn to strut your stuff. Workshop coveres basic footwork, stomping, shuffling, spinning and acrobatics.

Most suitable for ages 16+

Time: 12pm - 1.30pm

Tickets: £6 (£5 Salford residents)

Workshops also available for colleges and groups.

Contact Paul Sadot on 0161 273 2101

Whatever next perhaps a Strictly Northern Come Dancing on the Box thumbsup.gif

link

Don't you think there should be an upper age limit on the acrobatics bit say 40 top wack. Or at least a health warning

NORTHERN SOUL DANCING CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH :huh:

QOF

XX

Edited by chrissieo
Social source share

Don't you think there should be an upper age limit on the acrobatics bit say 40 top wack.  Or at least a health warning

NORTHERN SOUL DANCING CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH  thumbsup.gif

QOF

XX

link

i`m 45,16 stone can i join in, :huh:

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

A chance to learn to strut your stuff. Workshops also available for colleges and groups. Contact Paul Sadot on 0161 273 2101  thumbsup.gif

link

Lessons in NS dancing??? So many different styles! What qualifications does this guy have to give lessons? :huh:

Social source share

I've seen Paul Sadot dance at a week-ender and he's awesome.

Full on acrobatics.

Just a pleasure to watch.

Col.

link

Seconded Col :thumbsup:

Paul's a brilliant dancer and a good bloke to boot :D

Have seen one or two slightly frosty comments on SS....reckon it might be jealousy? whistling.gif

Hope you are well BTW?

Stafford Reunion?

Dave

Social source share

Lessons in NS dancing??? So many different styles!  What qualifications does this guy have to give lessons? whistling.gif

link

I think its just a bit of fun. Trickster did it London last year & from what I understand everybody had a good time.

A lot of people just have a confidence problem to overcome.

Col

Social source share

Lessons in NS dancing??? So many different styles!  What qualifications does this guy have to give lessons? :thumbsup:

link

sat here thinkin`cant think of one whistling.gif

Social source share

I think its just a bit of fun. Trickster did it London last year & from what I understand everybody had a good time.

Col

link

I agree with you and if it helps people get over dance floor nerves good luck to them whistling.gif

QOF

XX

Social source share

Back int old days I can remember there were the poseurs who would pidgeon chest and strutt and generally not get on the floor unless they could command an audience BUT..............

the thing I loved and still love is Theres No right or wrong way to dance to this music of ours you just dance to what makes you buzz and in the main no one judges and if your the only one on the floor to a tune... so what.... your doin what makes you happy even if you have two left feet.

I do like to see a good dancer pulling some shapes though......... but dance classes

MY ARSE

whistling.gif

Social source share

Back int old days I can remember there were the poseurs who would pidgeon chest and strutt and generally not get on the floor unless they could command an audience BUT..............

the thing I loved and still love  is Theres No right or wrong way to dance to this music of ours you just dance to what makes you buzz and in the main no one judges and if your the only one on the floor to a tune... so what.... your doin what makes you happy even if you have two left feet.

I do like to see a good dancer pulling some shapes though......... but dance classes

MY ARSE

:D

link

So true and so well said whistling.gif:thumbsup::D

Social source share

Paul's a brilliant dancer and a good bloke to boot whistling.gif

Have seen one or two slightly frosty comments on SS....reckon it might be jealousy?

Dave

link

Social source share

Col

link

I just can't feature this, the music flows through your ears and out your legs - that's soul. Sorry, you can't teach that.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Lessons in NS dancing??? So many different styles!  What qualifications does this guy have to give lessons? whistling.gif

link

Is Paul actually giving the lessons or is he just the contact? He's a great dancer anyway, pleasure to watch :thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree with you and if it helps people get over dance floor nerves good luck to them whistling.gif

QOF

XX

link

You are absolutely right :thumbsup:

If it helps people to enjoy the scene, it doesn't matter what it's called :D

I'm just pleased there are one or two others wanting to see new blood on the scene to help it progress, rather than dieing with the dinosaurs :D

Social source share

So what qualifications would you and Mr Sims consider appropriate? whistling.gif

link

None, that's just the point. Whatever moves you on to the floor and what you do when you are there is down to you. No one is going to laugh at you. If you feel the need to take lessons and it enhances your confidence well I don't know, I suppose that's okay. Still think that would be a bit superficial and you ain't got soul if you need to take freakin lessons. Sorry, just mho.

Social source share

None, that's just the point.  Whatever moves you on to the floor and what you do when you are there is down to you.  No one is going to laugh at you. If you feel the need to take lessons and it enhances your confidence well I don't know, I suppose that's okay.  Still think that would be a bit superficial and you ain't got soul if you need to take freakin lessons.  Sorry, just mho.

link

A lot of people, especially youngsters, would love to join in. Did you go to any of the CIS nighters?

But many are intimidated by self- consciousness and not knowing the etiquette.

Imagine if you were a young soul fan at your first event....

You love the music but wouldn't it all seem a bit weird and insular?

Social source share

You are absolutely right :thumbsup:

If it helps people to enjoy the scene, it doesn't matter what it's called :D

I'm just pleased there are one or two others wanting to see new blood on the scene to help it progress, rather than dieing with the dinosaurs :D

link

(cooo I think I'll start a playground fight)

The N Soul Scene (NOSTALGIA SOUL) has been the Northern scenes own worst enemy and I agree this has given rise to the dinasour tag.....but I am seeing far more younger faces at venues that play across the board.

but again you dont need confidence to get on the floor you just have to come to an open minded venue and youll soon realise people dont give a toss about your dancing skills ....in fact youd be appreciated more for getting up to a tune you love whatevr freaky shapes you pull

whistling.gif

Geeooooordie

Social source share

Guest rachel

A lot of people, especially youngsters, would love to join in. Did you go to any of the CIS nighters?

link

That was me a few years ago, I just had a few drinks to get over the nerves and copied a few people whistling.gif Once you realise nobody is watching or laughing you can relax into it and eventually develop your own 'style'. Must admit the idea of lessons does seem a bit 'artificial' but if it helps people to get the confidence to get out there then why not.

Social source share

I'm just pleased there are one or two others wanting to see new blood on the scene to help it progress, rather than dieing with the dinosaurs whistling.gif

link

Dunno about dying or dieing for that matter with the dinosaurs mate, only three years between us :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup:

(cooo I think I'll start a playground fight)

The N Soul Scene (NOSTALGIA SOUL) has been the Northern scenes own worst enemy and I agree this has given rise to the dinasour tag.....but I am seeing far more younger faces at venues that play across the board.

but again you dont need confidence to get on the floor you just have to come to an open minded venue and youll soon realise people dont give a toss about your dancing skills ....in fact youd be appreciated more for getting up to a tune you love whatevr freaky shapes you pull

whistling.gif

Geeooooordie

link

Yes, I agree....you and I know that Geordie!

But what I'm trying to say is that many newcomers would feel more confident if they'd had a bit of encouragement in this way and understood a bit more of our etiquette.

I have a son who is into the music and I'm trying to look at it as he does.

Social source share

link

A young friend of mine who is 22 and full of confidence and will dance to anything, has been to a couple of small dos locally and last night she was trying to explain to another youngster what it was like - she described it as middle aged people doing "HARDCORE" and she wouldn't dare try it, so they're coming to the next Bedford (ex Kempston) night in june, I hope they get enough confidence to get OOTF. I won't reveal who they were talking about being hardcore cos he's bigger than me and may read the post. (you never know he may be flattered, but toooo risky)

QOF

XX

Social source share

Dunno about dying or dieing for that matter with the dinosaurs mate, only three years between us  whistling.gif

link

The dinosaur comment was not just about age, but also attitude.

I go to some soul nights in the midlands........

:graynone:

Glad you enjoyed the typo, BTW :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes, I agree....you and I know that Geordie!

But what I'm trying to say is that many newcomers would feel more confident if they'd had a bit of encouragement in this way and understood a bit more of our etiquette.

I have a son who is into the music and I'm trying to look at it as he does.

link

point taken (swipe to nose but no blood pulled) I was only 13 when I got into it in the early days my sister took me to venues and i was the youngets there but I just thought "sod it" and got on with it...........but today there doesnt seem to be much movement in my elder bones so i watch more and can see how younger more spritely people might get a bit intimidated by ogling eyes.

Plus in the early days in amongst the heaving throngs you could pick up allsorts of moves ...today we all seem to shuffle the same whistling.gif

Geoooordie

Social source share

The dinosaur comment was not just about age, but also attitude.

I go to some soul nights in the midlands........

:graynone:

Glad you enjoyed the typo, BTW whistling.gif

link

I totally agree about the attitude always trying to get the younger ones i know to come - took the son to prestatyn and after about an hour there he was on the dance floor and he's not the most confident of people but he realised no one cared what he looked liked as long as he was enjoying himself.

QOF

XX

Social source share

None, that's just the point.  Whatever moves you on to the floor and what you do when you are there is down to you.  No one is going to laugh at you. If you feel the need to take lessons and it enhances your confidence well I don't know, I suppose that's okay.  Still think that would be a bit superficial and you ain't got soul if you need to take freakin lessons.  Sorry, just mho.

link

Think you are well out of line here Ian, as you are projecting your own perspectives onto other people. Its wrong to generalise about people. I know 3 people that have never danced at northern dos. One guy in particular LOVES his soul music.

It is strictly a confidence problem. Anything that sorts that out has to be a good thing.

Col.

Social source share

link

No fair point but if young new b's think they're gonna be Keb Darge on the first night, think again. We all perhaps sat out a few nights listening to sounds etc. Confidence grows with time (and a few drinks) whistling.gif It was Keb that said "every f***er practices. If you don't feel confident in your living room then perhaps you are beyond help :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Paul Sadot is very qualified in my opinion. He is the director of the new Wigan play, he has his own dance company in Manchester and can also be seen playing the role of a gangster in the Grammy nominated Brit film by Shane Meadows 'Dead Man's Shoes'.

A week very rarely goes by without seeing Paul at a nighter. He is a great dancer, collector and all round nice guy. You will also catch him DJ'ing at Sheridans this Sunday.

I wouldnt attend a class (some may think I should whistling.gif ) but I don't think it does any harm to be honest. Manchester has quite a few younger fans on the scene as anyone who has been to the New Century nighters will know.

Shane

Social source share

Guest rachel

It is strictly a confidence problem. Anything that sorts that out has to be a good thing.

Col.

link

whistling.gif Too right... great feeling being up on that floor and the more people that can enjoy it the better (well as long as there's enough room :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Think you are well out of line here Ian, as you are projecting your own perspectives onto other people. Its wrong to generalise about people. I know 3 people that have never danced at northern dos. One guy in particular LOVES his soul music.

Col.

link

Well out of line Col, really? Come on there are those that will never dance. I am not saying they are to be ridiculed or looked down on. If they wanna dance practice at home in front a mirror, you bird, your mum - whatever helps. Not projecting MY views, just common sense was all I thought mate whistling.gif

Social source share

think i was about 18/19 when i started going to do's with my partner in crime andy horne the first one i went to were in northampton and bedford. took me a little while to get up there on the floor but i didnt have a f**kin clue what i was doin i would see people clap so i thought yeah i could do that (really out of time and at the wrong places in records) but it took time now 7 years on i think im slowly learning to dance better. so what harm does it do for dancing leasons can only be a good thing in my eyes if like me it takes you 5'6'7 or so years to be better than you started out

Social source share

No fair point but if young new b's think they're gonna be Keb Darge on the first night, think again.  We all perhaps sat out a few nights listening to sounds etc.  Confidence grows with time (and a few drinks)  whistling.gif   It was Keb that said "every f***er practices. If you don't feel confident in your living room then perhaps you are beyond help :thumbsup:

link

You are applying your own parameters again.

Newcomers may not know who Keb is.

Why should they?

Does that matter?

You say "we all sat out a few nights....". Past tense! That was when everyone was of a similar (young) age.

It's not the same any more. The teenagers and twenty somethings are coming into a scene dominated by 35-45 yo's, many of whom have no care for the scene beyond the next 12 months. Some of them are long term f*cked in the head from what goes with the scene and some are positively hostile to anyone 30 and below....there have been posts on this site that demonstrate that.

It takes determination and conficence to persevere with our scene in those circumstances, and newcomers are not going to "practice in their own living rooms" if they are not given encouragement....they will find another scene.

Social source share

think i was about 18/19 when i started going to do's with my partner in crime andy horne the first one i went to were in northampton and bedford. took me a little while to get up there on the floor but i didnt have a f**kin clue what i was doin i would see people clap so i thought yeah i could do that (really out of time and at the wrong places in records) but it took time now 7 years on i think im slowly learning to dance better. so what harm does it do for dancing leasons can only be a good thing in my eyes if like me it takes you 5'6'7 or so years to be better than you started out

link

Ah I really don't know about all this lessons lark. As above, people are free to practice at home - will someone tell me why that's not acceptable? If you have the sounds, you listen to them, you dance, you improve. If not maybe the new b's are embarking on the wrong scene. I don't wanna rouse feathers here but let's say for example someone watches a couple of chicken ads, has a couple of lessons and then they're there? Or they go to do's listen to and buy records, have a step about at home and get better ... I know who I'd have more time for.

Social source share

You are applying your own parameters again.

Newcomers may not know who Keb is.

Why should they?

Does that matter?

You say "we all sat out a few nights....". Past tense! That was when everyone was of a similar (young) age.

It's not the same any more. The teenagers and twenty somethings are coming into a scene dominated by 35-45 yo's, many of whom have no care for the scene beyond the next 12 months. Some of them are long term f*cked in the head from what goes with the scene and some are positively hostile to anyone 30 and below....there have been posts on this site that demonstrate that.

It takes determination and conficence to persevere with our scene in those circumstances, and newcomers are not going to "practice in their own living rooms" if they are not given encouragement....they will find another scene.

link

This is getting right out of whack now whistling.gif Nobody said they should know who Keb is - point being no one is, or should expect max confidence or ability on night one. Also you say "35-45 yo's, many of whom have no care for the scene beyond the next 12 months". Where on earth did you get that from? lastly " if they are not given encouragement....they will find another scene". When I first got into this, the music had such a powerful effect on me that nothing and nobody was gonna put me off. Now I know that is a personal reflection, but really, if they need all the hand holding and the music on it's own isn't enough ... Then find another scene.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Ah I really don't know about all this lessons lark.  As above, people are free to practice at home - will someone tell me why that's not acceptable?  If you have the sounds, you listen to them, you dance, you improve.  If not maybe the new b's are embarking on the wrong scene.  I don't wanna rouse feathers here but let's say for example someone watches a couple of chicken ads, has a couple of lessons and then they're there?  Or they go to do's listen to and buy records, have a step about at home and get better ... I know who I'd have more time for.

link

Does it really matter HOW people get into it, the ones who's hearts are in it will stick around to learn more, dance better etc etc... yep I suppose there might be the odd arrogant one who turns up thinking they know it all after a couple of compilation CDs and some lessons but they will soon realise they don't! Lots of music scenes/ dance styles have people who go to lessons then go out and enjoy it in a club setting, I don't think it means they like or 'feel' the music any less whistling.gif

Social source share

I suppose there might be the odd arrogant one who turns up thinking they know it all after a couple of compilation CDs and some lessons but they will soon realise they don't!  whistling.gif

link

No, they usually have thousands and end up being dj's.

Social source share

Ian,

I have no time for drunks, chin strokers, the soul-less, the spaced out, record dealers, DJs, promoters and most of the other types that fall by definition into the 'can't dance, wont dance' collective.

I have sympathy (read encouragement) for people with a confidence problem. I was once one.

Of course there is nothing wrong with dancing at home! There's also nothing wrong with getting a bit of help & moving on with your life.

Col.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

As above, people are free to practice at home - will someone tell me why that's not acceptable?  If you have the sounds, you listen to them, you dance, you improve.  If not maybe the new b's are embarking on the wrong scene.  I don't wanna rouse feathers here but let's say for example someone watches a couple of chicken ads, has a couple of lessons and then they're there?  Or they go to do's listen to and buy records, have a step about at home and get better ... I know who I'd have more time for.

link

hmm interesting ....i don't see why people have to " practice " and "improve" ...

go to a do , get it in your ears , let it travel to your feet and do what you feel and what comes natural and if that results in an evolving into a more natural and less regimented dancing culture then bring it on ..

if the dancing class gives people the initial confidence to not feel self conscious then it's great .

Davie

Social source share

Ian,

I have no time for drunks, chin strokers, the soul-less, the spaced out, record dealers, DJs, promoters and most of the other types that fall by definition into the 'can't dance, wont dance' collective.

I have sympathy (read encouragement) for people with a confidence problem. I was once one.

Of course there is nothing wrong with dancing at home! There's also nothing wrong with getting a bit of help & moving on with your life.

Col.

link

You make some good points Col, honest you do. I just feel lessons is a bit wossy. Why reinvent the wheel, when most have learnt the normal way. Back then and today.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Ian,

link

Crap! That covers everyone I know on the scene whistling.gif:thumbsup::D

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

I think there are some people on the scene who should be ordered to take this class in the same way as drink drivers have to attend driving courses. There is one guy who attends venues in the North West who drives me mad, he takes up a lot of space on the dance floor with his attempts at flips, rolls and back drops and one week kicked me in the shins. The trouble is he thinks he is a top dancer the fact is he is a danger to other dancers.

Perhaps we could issue L plates to new dancers and then green L plates when they have done so many hours. We could have venues with spaces cordoned off for learner dancers in the same way as ski slopes. When they have got the required number of hours in they can then progress to the main dance floor. whistling.gif

Social source share

hmm interesting ....i don't see why people have to " practice " and "improve" ... go to a do , get it in your ears , let it travel to your feet and do what you feel and what comes natural and if that results in an evolving into a more natural and less regimented dancing culture then bring it on ..

link

whistling.gif

if the dancing class gives people the initial confidence to not feel self conscious then it's great .

Davie

link

Social source share