Northern Dancing Class

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Guest Jamie

I think there are some people on the scene who should be ordered to take this class in the same way as drink drivers have to attend driving courses. There is one guy who attends venues in the North West who drives me mad, he takes up a lot of space on the dance floor with his attempts at flips, rolls and back drops and one week kicked me in the shins. The trouble is he thinks he is a top dancer the fact is he is a danger to other dancers.

Perhaps we could issue L plates to new dancers and then green L plates when they have done so many hours. We could have venues with spaces cordoned off for learner dancers in the same way as ski slopes. When they have got the required number of hours in they can then progress to the main dance floor. :thumbsup:

link

Yeah, great idea. Perhaps we could have photo licences after 1000 hours. And discounts on admission on production of your 'Advanced Dancing Licence' :Dwhistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 59
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This is getting right out of whack now thumbsup.gif Nobody said they should know who Keb is - point being no one is, or should expect max confidence or ability on night one.  Also you say "35-45 yo's, many of whom have no care for the scene beyond the next 12 months".  Where on earth did you get that from?  lastly " if they are not given encouragement....they will find another scene".  When I first got into this, the music had such a powerful effect on me that nothing and nobody was gonna put me off.  Now I know that is a personal reflection, but really, if they need all the hand holding and the music on it's own isn't enough ... Then find another scene.

link

No, the point was that you are applying your own parameters to others.

The above post reinforces that....."When I first got....".

Well at that time the music was more contemporaneous than it is now, less out of the ordinary for young people.

I "got that from" what I see and hear when I'm out, and some posts I read on this board.

Your last phrase shows your intransigence and demonstrates why you will not understand what some of us on this thread are trying to say.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

No, the point was that you are applying your own parameters to others.

The above post reinforces that....."When I first got....".

Well at that time the music was more contemporaneous than it is now, less out of the ordinary for young people.

I "got that from" what I see and hear when I'm out, and some posts I read on this board.

Your last phrase shows your intransigence and demonstrates why you will not understand what some of us on this thread are trying to say.

Regards,

Dave

link

No Dave, I'm giving you my view that's all mate. You may call them parameters, I call them views, they are mine and that's that.

Said all I'm going to say on the subject as I fear we are going round in circles and I'd better head off to the spinning thread :thumbsup: Not before I take my intransigence to the dishwasher and unpack it thumbsup.gif

Do respect your (and everybody's) views on this btw. Wow, we got to two pages in turbo time here dudes, made me 7th highest poster of the day :D

KTF

and NO LESSONS!!!

Social source share

No Dave, I'm giving you my view that's all mate. You may call them parameters, I call them views, they are mine and that's that.

I reckon this Northern Soul Dance Workshop is just a cover....It's where soulies go to get their Gear sorted out....

Social source share

let's say for example someone watches a couple of chicken ads, has a couple of lessons and then they're there?  Or they go to do's listen to and buy records, have a step about at home and get better ... I know who I'd have more time for.

link

the thing is any new b has to start some where (ok im not a fan of the chicken ads) but lets say it did bring some young blood on the scene it cant be a bad thing i started of on the 'boring played out wigan stuff' but then progressed on. say a 20 yr old lad buys a CD cus they like what they herd on the TV its got a web address in the sleaves he go's on there see an advert for dancing lessons go's along with some of his mates get told history of the scene, the ettiquet (how ever you spell it ) some facts obout soul all that kind of stuff and learns a few moves i can only be good in my eyes. hell in 20 years time i dont want to be djing to an empty room thumbsup.gif

Social source share

No Dave, I'm giving you my view that's all mate.  You may call them parameters, I call them views, they are mine and that's that.

Said all I'm going to say on the subject as I fear we are going round in circles and I'd better head off to the spinning thread :thumbsup: Not before I take my intransigence to the dishwasher and unpack it :D

Do respect your (and everybody's) views on this btw.  Wow, we got to two pages in turbo time here dudes, made me 7th highest poster of the day :D

KTF

and NO LESSONS!!!

link

Call em what you like cocker, they are indeed yours and therefore you can take them home with you :lol:

I fear we are going round in circles as well.

And I also fear your intransigence will accompany you much further than a trip to the dishwasher (hope by dishwasher you didn't mean your other half) thumbsup.gif

Dave

Social source share

dance lessons are a great idea! I wish I could go.

it took me 2 years to get on the floor, i was so scared at first. what some of you are forgetting is that not all of us are in the UK & dont have weekly soul nights to attend. So it takes forever to figure out what's going on. The more people that get involved the better, if people are fit enough to dance all night then it means we wont have to listen to so many beat ballads thumbsup.gif

Social source share

dance lessons are a great idea! I wish I could go.

it took me 2 years to get on the floor, i was so scared at first. what some of you are forgetting is that not all of us are in the UK & dont have weekly soul nights to attend. So it takes forever to figure out what's going on. The more people that get involved the better, if people are fit enough to dance all night then it means we wont have to listen to so many beat ballads  :thumbsup:

link

Hello Wendy

:D

Are you all right?

Well said with the above thumbsup.gif

Pity Mr Sims is not still hear to read it.

Dave

Social source share

Paul Sadot is very qualified in my opinion. He is the director of the new Wigan play, he has his own dance company in Manchester and can also be seen playing the role of a gangster in the Grammy nominated Brit film by Shane Meadows 'Dead Man's Shoes'.

A week very rarely goes by without seeing Paul at a nighter. He is a great dancer, collector and all round nice guy. You will also catch him DJ'ing at Sheridans this Sunday.

I wouldnt attend a class (some may think I should  thumbsup.gif ) but I don't think it does any harm to be honest. Manchester has quite a few younger fans on the scene as anyone who has been to the New Century nighters will know.

Shane

link

Over qualified,me i`m just a punter and dont need to be qualified.

Social source share