Millie Jackson - My Man A Sweet Man

Benji

I recently picked up Millie Jackson's My man a sweet man on the original german Polydor release. When playing it at home I realised it sounds quite different to the US Spring 45.

Different not in the meaning of different takes/versions but it's the mix. E.g. the handclaps in the backing track that you can hear clearly on the Spring 45 are muffled and almost inaudible on the Polydor 45.

Now I was wondering if it's just the german release that sounds different to the US one? Anyone know if the original UK 45 mix is different too?

THANKS!

Benji

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I recently picked up Millie Jackson's My man a sweet man on the original german Polydor release. When playing it at home I realised it sounds quite different to the US Spring 45.

Different not in the meaning of different takes/versions but it's the mix. E.g. the handclaps in the backing track that you can hear clearly on the Spring 45 are muffled and almost inaudible on the Polydor 45.

Now I was wondering if it's just the german release that sounds different to the US one? Anyone know if the original UK 45 mix is different too?

THANKS!

Benji

In my opinion, the Mojo release here in the UK is also muffled. But then, I don't have a US Spring issue to compare it with. Sorry.

I can hear the tamborine but no clear hand clapping.

Social source share

In my opinion, the Mojo release here in the UK is also muffled. But then, I don't have a US Spring issue to compare it with. Sorry.

it came out on a british spring 12'' single in the late 70s or early 80s, I think there's a slightly different mix to the Mojo version

Social source share

THANKS!

Benji

I have the Spring DEMO & the Mojo Copy

Spring_SPR-127_DJ.gif

I will have a listen Tomorrow Stereo, Mono & Mojo Copy

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Last night I played the soundclip of John Manship's Mojo copy and it sounded more like the US mix than the Polydor one. If I find the time I'll post clips of my Spring and Polydor copies for comparison...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I think what may have happened is that some countries put out the genuine mono mix and others put out the stereo mix (on which the handclaps are both loder and treated with reverb) in mono, making for a different sound. I have a dutch pressing of MMASM which offers the stereo mix in mono, to bear this out.

Can't beat that original UK/US Mono mix, though, IMO!

Social source share

I think what may have happened is that some countries put out the genuine mono mix and others put out the stereo mix (on which the handclaps are both loder and treated with reverb) in mono, making for a different sound. I have a dutch pressing of MMASM which offers the stereo mix in mono, to bear this out.

Can't beat that original UK/US Mono mix, though, IMO!

As I'm far from being an expert on identifying differences in mixes here are 1:00 min clips of both 45s. As you can hear hand claps and horn section are far more prominent on the US mix. Would you guys agree it's still the same take as on the german 45?

Tony, I don't know which mix is the UK/US Mono one but I prefer the US Spring 45 one...

Millie_Jackson_US_Spring_mix.mp3

Millie_Jackson_German_Polydor_mix.mp3

Social source share

As I'm far from being an expert on identifying differences in mixes here are 1:00 min clips of both 45s. As you can hear hand claps and horn section are far more prominent on the US mix. Would you guys agree it's still the same take as on the german 45?

Tony, I don't know which mix is the UK/US Mono one but I prefer the US Spring 45 one...

Millie_Jackson_US_Spring_mix.mp3

Millie_Jackson_German_Polydor_mix.mp3

Piano's well 'up' in the German mix too

What an all time classic record..... anyhow

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

JOHN

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!