Pembo, Rushden Northants

A massive thanks to all of you that turned up to support last nights 'Pembo'!!

In times of falling attendances and the closure of events it was amazing to share our night with so many of you. I have never seen the 'Pembo' so packed. Gloria and Kev, I hope you read this and put some of your pics on the thread. It is not for me to comment on the quality of the event but I can comment on the quality of the people that attended. It was a pleasure for all the DJ's to play tunes that were so warmly received on the dance floor.

On behalf of all that were involved, again a big thank you for creating such a special atmosphere and apologies for the slow service at the bar. The management assured us that they will open the upstairs bar for the next one.

All the best, Steve.

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

In times of falling attendances and the closure of events it was amazing to share our night with so many of you. I have never seen the 'Pembo' so packed. Gloria and Kev, I hope you read this and put some of your pics on the thread. It is not for me to comment on the quality of the event but I can comment on the quality of the people that attended. It was a pleasure for all the DJ's to play tunes that were so warmly received on the dance floor.

On behalf of all that were involved, again a big thank you for creating such a special atmosphere and apologies for the slow service at the bar. The management assured us that they will open the upstairs bar for the next one.

All the best, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Just put a thread on the same time as you, have asked the moderator to join them, Fantastic night, dance floor packed and tunes for everyone.

Photos on the website, click link below.

Kev

Thanks Kev. I just looked at the photos mate. Gloria certainly did a good job as official photographer! The trouble is, that dance floor is so bloody huge we will have to get you a wide angle lens for next time. Your efforts are very much appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.

Hi Steve,

Will bring Video camera next time and put it on the website & U Tube.

Kev

What a top night once again at The Pembo , all down to the great people behind it .

This is one of the most reliable nights around , always a great attendance making the large dance floor busy right through the night . A great range of sounds with something for everyone and a venue that is perfect .

Great to see Chris Dalton on the line up with a great set from him and the residents Steve , Jem and Len who were all top drawer .

Looking forward to April

All The best

Des

:boxing: Another great night at the Pembo! Well done Steve & Jem. Hope to see some DJ playlists on the site soon? Shame about absent friends eh?

Keep up the good work guys - quality night! - quality people!

See you on the 21st Steve!

Glad you enjoyed the night mate! I will try and post up some spins from the night and ask Len and Jem to do the same. Will have to wrack the brain!

As for absent friends, as usual it's all threats and innuendos, water of a ducks back. The numbers coming through the door say it all!

By the way did you spot any dancing drunks, :boxing: .

Cheers, Steve.

All the best, Steve.

Hi Jem Steve and Len

Sorry i had to miss this one as was my sisters surprise 50th bash. Or i would have been there .

Its always a great night at the Pemberton down to you guys and your across the board music policy. Something for everyone.

Great venue great atmposhere great people

Cant wait until the next one

Well done guys

Andy

Tom, Charlie & Tabs (Banbury Soul Club).........................

Had a great pre & post event experience @ Len & Nina's (sorry 'bout Charlie drinking all your Vodka ! :rolleyes: )

I thought this was the best attended Pembo I had been to. All the tables were taken (apart from my special invalid one :unsure: ) when we turned up just after 8.30pm; so you kinda knew it was going to be a good 'un.

Great vinyl played from all and Len dug into the back of the box and played a few I hadn't heard since the Embankment. I just wished I could have got out there on that dance floor.

People are prepared to travel to this event, just like us, and had a good chat with Bob from Leicester and Gilly from Willington.

Checkout this venue for the rest of the year and get in the car and drive the extra few miles to get there - you will not be disappointed.

Cheers.................... Becket.

smile.gif Another great night at the Pembo! Well done Steve & Jem. Hope to see some DJ playlists on the site soon? Shame about absent friends eh?

Keep up the good work guys - quality night! - quality people!

See you on the 21st Steve!

Had a great time Sat night, pre-match drinks with The Banbury Boys etc.

When all the play lists are posted you will see the diversity of sounds played which compliment each other. I find the good mix of people there are very respectful of what we play and welcome tunes they may not of heard before. That's quite an achievement 'Round these parts'!

Here's what I played in no particular order...Who am I trying to kid, being all 'casual' like?....There in EXACTLY the right order! -

BOBBY SANSOM - DON'Y LEAVE - SUBLIME (Thanks to Val from 'SILKS' for tracking that down for me)

MARION STEWART - I MUST BE LOSING YOU - "R" RECORDS

DIANA ROSS - STORMY - UNISSUED

THE LOVELITES - MY CONCIENCE - LOVELITE RECORDS

OTIS LEE - HARD ROW TO HOE - QUAINT

PATTI DREW - STOP AND LISTEN - CAPITOL

BARBARA MASON - YOU BETTER STOP IT - ARCTIC

BUNNY SIGLER - SUNNY SUNDAY - PARKWAY

THE PARISIANS - TWINKLE LITTLE STAR - DEMON HOT

OTIS LEAVILL - CHARLOTTE - SMASH

DARROW FLETCHER - WHAT GOOD AM I WITHOUT YOU - JACKLYN

CAJUN HART - GOT TO FIND A WAY - WARNER BROS

THE DELETTS - LOOK AT ME - BLUE ROCK

THE MONTCLAIRS - HUNG UP ON YOUR LOVE - PAULA RECORDS

THE VOICES OF EAST HARLEM - TAKE A STAND - JUST SUNSHINE RECORDS (L.P)

My set 'Wobbled' a bit for this track as in the floor nearly emptied, which is fine. But not when some one comes on the stage, taps you on the shoulder and says..."Don't worry Son, Jem will pick up the pieces"!!! - That made my night, brilliant! :thumbup:

BROTHER TO BROTHER - IN THE BOTTLE - TURBO

JUDY FREEMAN AND BLACKROCK - HOLD ON - R.C.A

***PLEASE DO NOT 'CHERRY PICK'*** ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

See you next time.

Len.

Edited by LEN

Unlike Len my play list is in no particular order and I guarantee I will forget a fair few, but that's age for you.

Main Set

Wade In The Water, Marlena Shaw Cadet

Catch That Teardrop 5 Royals ABC

Of Hopes And Dreams Etc Jimmy Fraser Columbia

I'm Shakin, Little Willie John King

What Does It Take Buddy Miles Profit

When I Feel The Need Marvin Gaye unissued

I Still Love You Seven Souls Epic (French issue)

Big Thing Yumm Yumms ABC

Take A Chance On Me Arabians Le Mans

I'll Hold You Frankie And Johnny Hickory

She's My Beauty Queen Joe Mathews Thelma

Ohh Boy Adorables Golden World

Tainted Love Gloria Jones Champion (Request)

What Has Happened To Our Love Ringleaders M Pac

Home Is Where The Heart Is Bobby Womack Columbia

Rode By The Place David Ruffin Motown (British)

Early spot included

Since You Been Gone 4 Tops Motown

Lonely Girl Am I Velvelettes V I P

Girl Why You Wanna Make Me Blue Temptations Gordy

Walking Up A One Way Street Willie Tee Atlantic

Dearly Beloved Jack Montgomery Scepter

Looking For You Garnett Mimms United Artists

Whole New Plan Jo Ann Garrett Chess

I'm On To You Girl Skip Jackson Dot Mar

Walkin' By Boss 4 Rim

Just Like The Weather Nolan Chance Constellation (Request)

... and a few I have forgotten

Cheers Steve.

Edited by Steve Brown

Ta for the playlists guys, so it wasn't The Herbs then Len, cause you didn't play it?

Great fun night and some terrific dancers in attendance too!

Come on down all you soul fans, even if you are 179 miles north of Rushden (give or take a mile or two)! There IS intelligent life in Northamptonshire. Not a Rushden pub reject in sight!

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

25TH APRIL 2009 - a date for your collective diaries.

Just clicked what it is. THE HERBS - NEVER NEVER WILL I FALL IN LOVE - SMOKE Great record, I defo didn't play it though or am I getting me titles all mixed up again?! :lol:

Len.

Just wanted to echo whats already been said , probably one of the best nights we have had during the 4 years we've been going , great atmosphere lots of new faces and a crowd that were really up for the different styles of music included.Despite what some people would want you to believe ,we do try as hard as we can and as anyone who has ever promoted anything will tell you it can sometimes be a thankless task but i must say i am still buzzing from Saturday .... would like to thank every one that attended , lads from Banbury , Milton Keynes , St.Ives ,from where ever you came ...thanks again ...special thanks to Kev and Gloria who spent the night taking photos for a feature on their website ....Steve assures me He is working on the story :lol::lol: ps. just done the figures was close to 250 in on the night!

as they have been requested just like to add my playlist

First half hour at 8 pm which I did as a Motown tribute spot

MARVELETTES - DONT MAKE HURTING ME A HABIT - U.S TAMLA

MIRACLES - SAVE ME - U.S. TAMLA

SPINNERS - SWEET THING - UK TAMLA MOTOWN

FRANCES NERO -KEEP ON LOVING ME - U.S SOUL

BARBARA MACNAIR - NOTHING BUT TROUBLE - MOTOWN UNISSUED

UNDISPUTED TRUTH - YOU'VE GOT THE LOVE I NEED -US GORDY

HEARTS OF STONE - IF I COULD GIVE YOU THE WORLD - US VIP

MARTHA REEVES - SAVE SOME ROOM IN YOUR HEART - MOTOWN UNISSUED

MARTHA REEVES - SHOW ME THE WAY - U.S. GORDY

MARTHA REEVES - I GOTTA LET YOU GO - U.S. GORDY

Second spot approx 11.45pm, where as already mentioned i had to pick up the pieces for Len :lol::thumbup:

Second Motown tribute spot

TEMPTATIONS - AINT TO PROUD TO BEG - UK TAMLA MOTOWN

SUPREMES -LOVE IS LIKE AND ITCHING ETC. - U.S. MOTOWN

MARVELETTES - I'LL KEEP HOLDING ON - U.S. MOTOWN

EDWIN STARR - STOP HER ON SIGHT - UK TAMLA MOTOWN

FUNK BROS. - AINT NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH (INST.) - MOTOWN UNISSUED

FRANK WILSON - DO I LOVE YOU - US. SOUL THE THIRD ONE ?...JESTING :( TMG 1170

FOLLOWED BY-

CARLA THOMAS - I'LL NEVER STOP LOVING YOU - HORACES

DARRELL BANKS - I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU -VOLT

CLARENCE CARTER - MESSIN WITH MY MIND - ICHIBAN

PEGGY SCOTT & JO JO BENSON - WE'LL MAKE IT - GCS RECORDS

VOICES OF EAST HARLEM - CASHING IN - JUST SUNSHINE

JOHNNY NASH - I'M SO GLAD YOUR MY BABY - UK MGM

CHUCK JACKSON - HAND IT OVER - WAND

RUBY WINTERS - BETTER - DIAMOND

SUSAN RAFFEY - HURT SO BAD - VERVE

SHIRLEY LAWSON - ONE MORE CHANCE - UK SOUL CITY

MAURICE WILLIAMS - BEING WITHOUT YOU - DEESU

DANA VALERY - YOU DONT KNOW WHERE YOUR INTREST LIES - COLUMBIA

JACKIE MOORE - BOTH ENDS AGAINST THE MIDDLE - ATLANTIC

CHANNELL 3 - THE SWEETEST THING - DAKAR

LITTLE ANTHONY - ITS NOT THE SAME - VEEP

THEO COFF INVASION - LUCKY DAY (INST) - DEARBORN

Just like to give a special mention to Chris Dalton ...thought he played a blinding spot , first time at the Pembo ,defo not the last !!!

Hi Jem Steve and Len

Sorry i had to miss this one as was my sisters surprise 50th bash. Or i would have been there .

Its always a great night at the Pemberton down to you guys and your across the board music policy. Something for everyone.

Great venue great atmposhere great people

Cant wait until the next one

Well done guys

Andy

Hi Andy real shame you could'nt make it mate ...speak soon atb Jem

Had a great time Sat night, pre-match drinks with The Banbury Boys etc.

When all the play lists are posted you will see the diversity of sounds played which compliment each other. I find the good mix of people there are very respectful of what we play and welcome tunes they may not of heard before. That's quite an achievement 'Round these parts'!

Here's what I played in no particular order...Who am I trying to kid, being all 'casual' like?....There in EXACTLY the right order! -

BOBBY SANSOM - DON'Y LEAVE - SUBLIME (Thanks to Val from 'SILKS' for tracking that down for me)

MARION STEWART - I MUST BE LOSING YOU - "R" RECORDS

DIANA ROSS - STORMY - UNISSUED

THE LOVELITES - MY CONCIENCE - LOVELITE RECORDS

OTIS LEE - HARD ROW TO HOE - QUAINT

PATTI DREW - STOP AND LISTEN - CAPITOL

BARBARA MASON - YOU BETTER STOP IT - ARCTIC

BUNNY SIGLER - SUNNY SUNDAY - PARKWAY

THE PARISIANS - TWINKLE LITTLE STAR - DEMON HOT

OTIS LEAVILL - CHARLOTTE - SMASH

DARROW FLETCHER - WHAT GOOD AM I WITHOUT YOU - JACKLYN

CAJUN HART - GOT TO FIND A WAY - WARNER BROS

THE DELETTS - LOOK AT ME - BLUE ROCK

THE MONTCLAIRS - HUNG UP ON YOUR LOVE - PAULA RECORDS

THE VOICES OF EAST HARLEM - TAKE A STAND - JUST SUNSHINE RECORDS (L.P)

My set 'Wobbled' a bit for this track as in the floor nearly emptied, which is fine. But not when some one comes on the stage, taps you on the shoulder and says..."Don't worry Son, Jem will pick up the pieces"!!! - That made my night, brilliant! :lol:

BROTHER TO BROTHER - IN THE BOTTLE - TURBO

JUDY FREEMAN AND BLACKROCK - HOLD ON - R.C.A

***PLEASE DO NOT 'CHERRY PICK'*** ohmy.gif:lol:

See you next time.

Len.

Len Nice one Cobber Bobby Sansom has had a lot plays down under , Bobby was a uk white lad ? . He gets a mention in the ''lowriders'' book back to the sun a cool 30 today in da shade Best John

Got to agree with all the other comments.

Busiest I've seen the Pembo so looks like people are voting with there feet. thumbup.gif

Good mix of tunes, something for everyone.

Just does what it advertises and does it very well.

Great to see Len, Nina and Tabitha as well.

My only complaint was I didn't see any drunks dancing with pints on the floor.

Oh well, there's always next time :D

See you all again soon.

Best

Tabs

Busiest I've seen the Pembo so looks like people are voting with there feet. :thumbup:

My only complaint was I didn't see any drunks dancing with pints on the floor.

Oh well, there's always next time :D

See you all again soon.

Best

Tabs

Steve Brown was careering round the dance floor a bit not sure He was drunk though :lol:

see you soon Tabs :(

Steve Brown was careering round the dance floor a bit not sure He was drunk though :(

see you soon Tabs :D

Cheeky git! I couldn't let you play to an empty dance floor, :thumbup: .

Cracking line from Len re picking up the pieces. Don't think you needed much rescuing mate!

By the way I don't think Chris posts on here so you may not get a playlist but he did play some top tunes. Nice one Chris!

Ps Add T J Williams Baby I Need You and Tommy Neil Going To A Happenin' to my list. Sue does listen and she's got a better memory than me.

Edited by Steve Brown

Busiest I've seen the Pembo so looks like people are voting with there feet. :wave:

My only complaint was I didn't see any drunks dancing with pints on the floor...

Oh well, there's always next time :thumbsup:

See you all again soon.

Best

Tabs

...Except for Charlie of course! - What I love about the place is that the dance floor is sooo vast. I don't think anyone noticed him falling over and disguising it as a back flip!!! laugh.gif ...Here's Tabs finally meeting his name sake - Tabs!

Len.

post-1733-1233739485_thumb.jpg

...Except for Charlie of course! - What I love about the place is that the dance floor is sooo vast. I don't think anyone noticed him falling over and disguising it as a back flip!!! laugh.gif ...

Len.

It only counts if you go down completely. Len. Yes, i must admit the foot did slip. But, ah - come on, what a recovery! And I made it look as if I did it every week. :unsure: Really enjoyed the night at the Pembo. Great to hear some different tunes. Top people who attend. Great night of Soul. Keep safe, keep dancing.

Charlie Mc

Banbury Soul Club

(next Banbury Soul Club 4th April)

Many thanks to Gem, Steve and Len. I really enjoyed playing a few tunes for you all and hope that most people liked the selection, I tried to fit in a few tracks that Pembo may not of heard so as to keep it "fresh".

For anyone that's not been to The Pemberton Centre, get there! it's one of my favourite venues, the size of the dancefloor and the lighting all helps to give the place a good atmosphere ....................... and that's before the music starts!!!.

Here's my playlist (in roughly the correct order)

The Platters - Washed Ashore - Musicor

The Ethics - I Want My Baby Back - Vent

Joanie Sommers - Don't Pity Me - Warner Brothers

Ritchie Adams - I Can't Escape From You - Congress

Dave Charles - Ain't Gonna Cry No More - Donnie

Unique Blend - Yes I'm In Love - Eastbound

Executive Jam - I'm Into Your Love - Third Street

Lee Roye - Tears - Decca

Alice Clarke - You Hit Me - Warner Brothers

The Valentinos - Sweeter Than The Day Before - Chess

The Four Pros - Just Another Girl - Carla

Magic Night - If You And I Had Never Met - Roulette

The Carstairs - It Really Hurst Me Girl - Red Coach

Jackey Beavers - Trying To Get Back To You Girl - Dade

Randy Brown - Always In The Mood - Parachute

Baby Earl & Trinidads - Back Slop - SPQR

Junior Walkers All Stars - Good Rockin' - Harvey

Kim Weston - You Can Do It - Tamla

Debra Johnson - To Get Love You've Got To Bring Love - Kent

Joanie Sommers - Never Throw Your Dreams Away - Columbia

Hope to be there supporting on 25th April

Chris Dalton

post-2368-1234023317_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to Gem, Steve and Len. I really enjoyed playing a few tunes for you all and hope that most people liked the selection, I tried to fit in a few tracks that Pembo may not of heard so as to keep it "fresh".

For anyone that's not been to The Pemberton Centre, get there! it's one of my favourite venues, the size of the dancefloor and the lighting all helps to give the place a good atmosphere ....................... and that's before the music starts!!!.

Here's my playlist (in roughly the correct order)

The Platters - Washed Ashore - Musicor

The Ethics - I Want My Baby Back - Vent

Joanie Sommers - Don't Pity Me - Warner Brothers

Ritchie Adams - I Can't Escape From You - Congress

Dave Charles - Ain't Gonna Cry No More - Donnie

Unique Blend - Yes I'm In Love - Eastbound

Executive Jam - I'm Into Your Love - Third Street

Lee Roye - Tears - Decca

Alice Clarke - You Hit Me - Warner Brothers

The Valentinos - Sweeter Than The Day Before - Chess

The Four Pros - Just Another Girl - Carla

Magic Night - If You And I Had Never Met - Roulette

The Carstairs - It Really Hurst Me Girl - Red Coach

Jackey Beavers - Trying To Get Back To You Girl - Dade

Randy Brown - Always In The Mood - Parachute

Baby Earl & Trinidads - Back Slop - SPQR

Junior Walkers All Stars - Good Rockin' - Harvey

Kim Weston - You Can Do It - Tamla

Debra Johnson - To Get Love You've Got To Bring Love - Kent

Joanie Sommers - Never Throw Your Dreams Away - Columbia

Hope to be there supporting on 25th April

Chris Dalton

Hi Chris,

Thoroughly enjoyed your set mate, very well balanced. Your last record - Joanie Sommers - Top tune!!!

Nice one.

Len.

Source Advert