Sensible Soul Club

Guest mikecook

wondering if anyone can tell me where I was with this mebership card?

I attended a lot of nighters from the late 70's through to 90's but for the most part didn't know where I was or where I had been (maybe I should have listened to Zammo :yes: )

It never really mattered at the time as long as it was soul being played, but after seeing the Sensible Soul Club mentioned in a thread it got me wondering where I had been?

I have been given a possible that it could have been the Midlands but the only one I can remember from there is Fleet?, Peterborough - but I have another card for that one :thumbup:

For some reason I am thinking more London way??????

any info appreciated

CIMG2071.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm sure I remember that one, and at that time I was mostly in London. Was it something to do with Sean McCluskey and/or Ion Tsakalis? There were some warehouse-style nighters around that time at Elephant & Castle.

Thanks for the reply. thumbsup.gif

I have no idea who would have been promoters but I definitely remember going to the Elephant & Castle now you mention it. I dont know if it was the 'Sensible Soul Club' or not, but E&C sticks in my mind from a good friend of mine, Tony Gordon, who I remember Dj'ing there.

:lol: ...and i've just remembered, Tony did the wearing of the one-glove....Michael Jackson style....I wonder if it was Michael who copied Tony or the other way round whistling.gif

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't recognise that membership at all Mike. It looks a bit funky for an 80s northern soul club. biggrin.gif

I wonder if that membership and the flyer i mentioned on the other thread are from different clubs? Apart from the 100 club i can't remember going anywhere south of Northampton in the early 80s. unsure.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I have this flyer for the Sensible Soul Club. I think I picked it up in London at a 70s do I went to at a pub venue off Oxford Street, C.1986. Phoenix? Whether it was a S.S.C. promotion though, I couldn't say.

post-4950-1235290744_thumb.jpg

post-4950-1235290781_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

That would also make sense Mel as I was going to say I thought Ivor Jones did something under that banner, but he would probably have dj's at the Pheonix, I remember seeing Stuart Cosgrove dancing to some funky stuff at the Pheonix :thumbsup: Ivor is on here so can probably remember. Binsy et al should also remember.

The warehouse ones are definitely right, I remember going to one and seeing some very strange people at these and that was just Ion and his mates. :ohmy:

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest mel brat

That would also make sense Mel as I was going to say I thought Ivor Jones did something under that banner, but he would probably have dj's at the Pheonix, I remember seeing Stuart Cosgrove dancing to some funky stuff at the Pheonix..

Yes, now that you mention it, Stuart Cosgrove WAS there that night! I didn't (and still don't!) know Stuart well, but we exchanged a few words.

The trouble I had beforehand is another story entirely though. I'd been tipped off about the Phoenix do in a Soho record shop earlier in the day, and must have walked up and down the whole length of Oxford Street three times looking for the place! When I finally got to the front door I heard they were playing Black Nasty "Cut Your Motor Off" and I knew I was "home"!

I had a great time and danced all night. It turned out I'd known the DJ Tony from the old days of the Ritz, but had forgotten him! :thumbsup: Was he from Walsall/Bloxwich originally? (He knew lots of my old mates from that area anyway)

Social source share

Yes, now that you mention it, Stuart Cosgrove WAS there that night! I didn't (and still don't!) know Stuart well, but we exchanged a few words.

The trouble I had beforehand is another story entirely though. I'd been tipped off about the Phoenix do in a Soho record shop earlier in the day, and must have walked up and down the whole length of Oxford Street three times looking for the place! When I finally got to the front door I heard they were playing Black Nasty "Cut Your Motor Off" and I knew I was "home"!

I had a great time and danced all night. It turned out I'd known the DJ Tony from the old days of the Ritz, but had forgotten him! :thumbsup: Was he from Walsall/Bloxwich originally? (He knew lots of my old mates from that area anyway)

Tony Gordon is from Poole in Dorset. He was also in the band 'Blue Rhonda A La Turk' (saxophonist). A proper character, once met never forgotten - for all the right reasons, a real friendly guy.

Tony Gordon

tony.jpg

Social source share

wondering if anyone can tell me where I was with this mebership card?

I attended a lot of nighters from the late 70's through to 90's but for the most part didn't know where I was or where I had been (maybe I should have listened to Zammo :ohmy: )

It never really mattered at the time as long as it was soul being played, but after seeing the Sensible Soul Club mentioned in a thread it got me wondering where I had been?

I have been given a possible that it could have been the Midlands but the only one I can remember from there is Fleet?, Peterborough - but I have another card for that one :thumbsup:

For some reason I am thinking more London way??????

any info appreciated

CIMG2071.jpg

This was to do with Chris, Harry & Co, remember an all-dayer on Fathers Day once, think i still have the "Bring Your Dad" flyer!! Tony Gordon was a nice guy, got photos of him at Yate in a sombrero!! Always a bit different - Happy Days!!!

Alan

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

I have this flyer for the Sensible Soul Club. I think I picked it up in London at a 70s do I went to at a pub venue off Oxford Street, C.1986. Phoenix? Whether it was a S.S.C. promotion though, I couldn't say.

post-4950-1235290744_thumb.jpg

post-4950-1235290781_thumb.jpg

Having seen this flier I'm pretty certain that Binsy was at this one.

He tells a cracking story of a soul do at Heaven, which is obviously fairly well known as a gay club. As the northerner soulers arrived, with moustaches, tattoo's and singlets they bumped into the regulars.... also sporting singlets, tattoos and moustaches. Confusion reigned by all accounts!

Social source share

Having seen this flier I'm pretty certain that Binsy was at this one.

He tells a cracking story of a soul do at Heaven, which is obviously fairly well known as a gay club. As the northerner soulers arrived, with moustaches, tattoo's and singlets they bumped into the regulars.... also sporting singlets, tattoos and moustaches. Confusion reigned by all accounts!

Yeah Binsy, Ivor, Ion, Val, Tony Smith etc would have been there. At Heaven the men's toilet was all mirrored, very disconcerting and not an offer to be had.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I ran the Phoenix dos but they would have fliered there. Tony also ran the Belsize Park dos which were excellent and i have some great stories from.

Perhaps I'm getting Tony confused with someone else? :rolleyes: I do remember chatting to the DJ though, and he knew my mate Tony Bowd very well - and seemed to remember me too. However, by that time everything was filtered through the haze of several Southern Comfort & Vodka cocktails (aka. 'Mecca Specials' or 'Stanley Woodruffs') :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know they played the Carstairs! - and David Sea etc.

I also recall having a long chat with some younger guys and mentioning a few obscure 70s items on major labels (RCA etc) - and they got their little notebooks out and were jotting 'em down! Fellows after my own heart! :rolleyes:

Great night. - But I had to trek halfway across London to get back to the hotel afterwards!

Social source share

Yeah Binsy, Ivor, Ion, Val, Tony Smith etc would have been there. At Heaven the men's toilet was all mirrored, very disconcerting and not an offer to be had.

After hassling Craig Brick, I was finally rewarded with a guest spot at this gig. Rather than normal instructions on how to use the decks etc Craig had to issue special instructions about how to avoid being molested by the regulars. Was that binsy in that stetson? :D The sound system thou there from what i remember was one of the best in Europe at the time.

Social source share

I went to the thing at the Elephant with Godfrey from Brixton who I was seeing at the time - do you remember him Ady? Possibly the only 100 Club regular trying to combine maintaining his afro with wearing a crash helmet as he was in the Titans SC :D . I can even remember what I wore, but not for the life of me what the do was called.

Social source share

Mens toilet Ady ? :) From memory I think the signs were male & non male weren't they ? all very worrying :( ...but yes certainly remember the mirrored urinal..........had a nice line in ceiling tiles from memory :D

"As the northerner soulers arrived, with moustaches, tattoo's and singlets they bumped into the regulars.... also sporting singlets, tattoos and moustaches. Confusion reigned by all accounts!"

Funny story & long time ago but sure it was a sunday alldayer & there wasn't a "normal" clientelle there, mind you the bar staff more than made up for it.... moustache a go go !

Social source share

Tony Gordon is from Poole in Dorset. He was also in the band 'Blue Rhonda A La Turk' (saxophonist). A proper character, once met never forgotten - for all the right reasons, a real friendly guy.

Tony Gordon

tony.jpg

Off topic (sorry) but great to be reminded of Me and Mr Sanchez by Blue Rondo a la Turk (you obviously saw them on their Welsh tour). Absolute eighties pop classic, guaranteed to move your feet.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Wasn't Rob Ryan involved as well?

Aka 'Polyvelts' on here.

Aka one of the Top 50 coolest people in the UK, according to last years Observer Top 50 list.

Social source share

I was there, :thumbsup:

Social source share

Off topic (sorry) but great to be reminded of Me and Mr Sanchez by Blue Rondo a la Turk (you obviously saw them on their Welsh tour). Absolute eighties pop classic, guaranteed to move your feet.

Tony Gordon

ba8.jpg

never seen Blue Rhonda play, as I say, Tony an old friend.

Dont remember 'Heaven' that people are going on about - but do have vague memories of Elephant & Castle, and Tony DJ'ing there

does anyone know for def where the Sensible Soul Club membership card is from? Was it the Elephant & Castle?

Social source share

Tony Gordon

ba8.jpg

never seen Blue Rhonda play, as I say, Tony an old friend.

Dont remember 'Heaven' that people are going on about - but do have vague memories of Elephant & Castle, and Tony DJ'ing there

does anyone know for def where the Sensible Soul Club membership card is from? Was it the Elephant & Castle?

I would have thought the Roseberry Ave do but not certain. Was the E&C do in a warehouse on an industrial estate?

Social source share

I was there, :thumbup:

Funny as f*%k mate, I also remember the sensible soul allnighter at the warehouse where the floor was so slippery from condensation and talc that people were falling over all night ( it was like the grand national )

Remember Adey finding a tiny piece of non slippery floor which I tried to share with him ph34r.gif Just enough room for two ( two not so little boys !)

Still got my Sensible soul card, Cass club anyone?, Le Beat route (50p drinks before 10pm) Jon Pierres ( thursday night until 3am !)

General Pickton, Scala allnighters, upstairs at the Astoria,

Social source share

I would have thought the Roseberry Ave do but not certain. Was the E&C do in a warehouse on an industrial estate?

Hi Ady. Dont know is the answer - like i say in first post, i was somewhat spangled most of the time back then :thumbup:

I just used to get picked up, driven to places, danced the night away, got driven home blink.gif

Social source share

I think it was Chris Brick who ran it out of their Demob clothes and extras service from Beak St in Soho. They were like the first warehouse parties and i met my future wife Sylvia at one on Roseberry Avenue Islington, the scene of several of keb's weddings.

Remember that one well Adey, the dj had to climb a set of ricketty stairs to dj and it was a very low ceiling. Rev Tony Clayton was kneeling down djing, mixed toilets, assorted trendies, 60s newies, uneven dance floor, someone going into a coma?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert