Little Richard Try Some Of Mine (Coral) But Which Country?

post-1224-0-68311600-1377540044_thumb.jp post-1224-0-09626400-1377540062_thumb.jp

Traded some records with a mate yesterday and by chance picked up this Little Richard Coral 45 'cos it looked interesting and I'd never seen this label design on a Coral release before. Added some scans but the combination of a maroon label with silver print can be tricky to scan clearly.

A 1968 release pressed on heavy vinyl with a 4 prong centre.  But nothing printed on the label to indicate which country it's from. I sorta guessed somewhere like South Africa maybe perhaps? And Nat Tarnopol of Shrine fame gets a name check for production.....

Checked out the usual places like Ebay, Discogs, 45cat and ran it through Google several times using different combinations of words, numbers etc but nothings showed up to convince me of anything.

Oh I did find out it was released in Italy on Coral but that 45 had a white label and a large centre hole.

"Try some of mine" 2:37 written by Don Covay and released in 1968 just after Okeh records had finished his contract so he was still in his 'I'm a soul man' phase. Issued in the states on Brunswick and in the UK on MCA.

And what a belting little record it is - best description is think strident horn driven southern mid tempo dancer - a big name artist on a big name label - and to my eternal shame I'd never heard of it before........

derek

To be complete I've tagged on a YouTube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-eltJoi0zI

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

attachicon.gifLittle Richard try some of mine (Coral).jpg attachicon.gifLittle Richard she's together (Coral) B.jpg

Traded some records with a mate yesterday and by chance picked up this Little Richard Coral 45 'cos it looked interesting and I'd never seen this label design on a Coral release before. Added some scans but the combination of a maroon label with silver print can be tricky to scan clearly.

A 1968 release pressed on heavy vinyl with a 4 prong centre.  But nothing printed on the label to indicate which country it's from. I sorta guessed somewhere like South Africa maybe perhaps? And Nat Tarnopol of Shrine fame gets a name check for production.....

Checked out the usual places like Ebay, Discogs, 45cat and ran it through Google several times using different combinations of words, numbers etc but nothings showed up to convince me of anything.

Oh I did find out it was released in Italy on Coral but that 45 had a white label and a large centre hole.

"Try some of mine" 2:37 written by Don Covay and released in 1968 just after Okeh records had finished his contract so he was still in his 'I'm a soul man' phase. Issued in the states on Brunswick and in the UK on MCA.

And what a belting little record it is - best description is think strident horn driven southern mid tempo dancer - a big name artist on a big name label - and to my eternal shame I'd never heard of it before........

derek

To be complete I've tagged on a YouTube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-eltJoi0zI

I've got the UK issue, and I too had never heard before-mind that's not saying much.. :lol:

Social source share

this post made me dig the 45 from the "box to dispose of" in the garage..........

now in two minds.......

thank you derek.........

anyhooooo........no mention of the other side.......Little Richard does latin soul take on little piece of leather......

could go big...

Social source share

But nothing printed on the label to indicate which country it's from. I sorta guessed somewhere like South Africa maybe perhaps? 

Issued in the states on Brunswick and in the UK on MCA.

It's either SA, as you thought, though the matrix BC might mean the country begins with B - or Oz.  Probably.

Most of the early Oz Coral releases are maroon, with silver print, but generally solid center

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

To be honest I don't know where the idea that it's a South African release came from but the more I delved the more convinced I became that it was.

The Australian Coral releases from 1968 looked like this  post-1224-0-37143900-1377729412_thumb.jp

So I went back into the 45cat website and had a look through the 'labels by country' section.

Unfortunately there was nothing listed for Coral 45s in South Africa.

Un-detered I had a browse around the various labels documented for that area and curiosity drew me to this one 

post-1224-0-35282100-1377729489_thumb.jp

Design and typeset the same, no country of origin mentioned. I jumped to conclusions straight away so game set and match it was all over.

And yes whilst this record gained a UK release via MCA post-1224-0-27495600-1377730232_thumb.jp

Here's a pretty neat UK Decca single that sold on Ebay recently. Turns out these Decca American Series 45s were export only releases. post-1224-0-24429800-1377729739_thumb.jp

What a wonderful tool the internet is.

Derek

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

• 1 year later...

its a country in the british empire region, its definately NOT Australia, NZ, Hong Kong.

It does similar to that Les Combo South Africa thing but its possible it could made in SA and exported?

Plenty left over to choose from!

Edited by airfixkid
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert