Steam Last Night

Well I enjoyed myself at Steam. Thanks to Johnny and Des for putting it on and to all those that danced and supported us. :thumbsup:

Below are mt playlists.

First spot

Magenta - Running back to you

Willie Dee - It looks like rain

Essence of Love - I want to share my love with you

Solid Solution - Think about it Girl

Eddie Owen - Shake off that dream

Black sugar - Too late

Sandra Richardson - Don't let me down

Fantastics - Where there's a will (there's a way)

Glen Ricketts - Does it really matter

Second Spot

Ozz and his Sperlings - Can you qualify

Bob Collins and Mighty Ryders - Emotion CU

Exceptions - Baby, you know I need you

Ernest Mosley - Stubborn Heart

John Leach - Put that woman down

Charlie Gracie and the Club Kings - Fool baby CU

Freddie Butler - Save your love for me

Prince Charles - What I live for

Contacts - You gonna pay

George Hobson - Let it be real

Phillips Bros - I got hurt

Spot & the blotters - Circulating

Debonairs - Please come back baby

Wendell Watts - Kiss a good thing goodbye

Jeany Reynolds - Down on me

High Voltage - Country Road

Magenta - Running back to you

Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories

Cheers

Phil

• Replies 29
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Made the trip up to Crewe and Steam, not a bad little venue, it was a shame the attendance was so low but believe me those that were there were privy to some quality tunes, I enjoyed myself, dancing to the beat laid down by the up for it DJs, I was disappointed to hear that Des Parker and John Weston wouldn't be there due to illness as I was looking forward to hearing them, but that apart the music I was hearing certainly did the trick, as far as I was concerned, all the DJs stepped up to the mark and were not found wanting, special mention to Alex Jones great stuff :thumbsup: ...... thanks to Phil Wainwright for the cd ( know 'em all Phil :thumbsup: ) and Magenta! thanks also to Johnny Beggs and Des Parker for the night.....with a bit more support this could be a belter of a nighter....and to top it all in walks Ted Couldstone...solid.

Edited by DelTee
Guest Chris Waterman

Made the trip up to Crewe and Steam, not a bad little venue, it was a shame the attendance was so low but believe me those that were there were privy to some quality tunes, I enjoyed myself, dancing to the beat laid down by the up for it DJs, I was disappointed to hear that Des Parker and John Weston wouldn't be there due to illness as I was looking forward to hearing them, but that apart the music I was hearing certainly did the trick, as far as I was concerned, all the DJs stepped up to the mark and were not found wanting, special mention to Alex Jones great stuff :thumbsup: ...... thanks to Phil Wainwright for the cd ( know 'em all Phil :thumbsup: ) and Magenta! thanks also to Johnny Beggs and Des Parker for the night.....with a bit more support this could be a belter of a nighter....and to top it all in walks Ted Couldstone...solid.

Some wonderful stuff played last night, only got there around 1 ish so did not catch all sets, but top tune of the night for me was The Sheepherders courtesy of Alex Jones.........top tune.

Just spoke to Des this afternoon and they kept him in hospital over night for observation ( there's a joke in there Mace, if you want it) thankfully he seems to be on the mend.

Had a good laugh with my buddies for my birthday and some nice tunes played ... but FFS what happened to the attendance .. :thumbsup: I know Stoke was on but I wouldn't have thought the same people would have wanted to go there as would have enjoyed the tunes at Steam. Great venue, management could do with a bit of a staff training course though, nobody even knew where the lights were for the ladies loos :thumbsup: AND to top it all ... my birthday and NO COIDER on draft ... good job Tescos was open :thumbsup:

Phil, thank you honey for the CD.

Chimene, Neil, Taff, Tony, Derek & Annie ... thank you for coming and making my night !! I can't believe it's 10 years since I last saw Annie ... don't look any different ... what a gal :thumbsup:

I hope Des is recovering well and will soon be out and about again.

Let's hope the attendance is up on the next one, the tunes were brilliant. Dave, thanks for my birthday record :shades:

another quality nite at steam, low attendance is soon forgotten when you here the quality of the music that was played, my only concern is that other people are missing out on the music because they wont or don't bother to give this place ago..although it would help if it was flyered a bit better, this could have the makings of a good little niter, all they need is your support, with a few more peeps through the door, it will be a great quality soul niter. its cheap, car park round the corner, food next door, decent dance floor, but the music is fabulous, Alex did a great spot, although I missed the last 15 mins, but all the DJ,s where fabulous, cant fault anyone. so heres to the next one!!

Just spoke to Des this afternoon and they kept him in hospital over night for observation ( there's a joke in there Mace, if you want it) thankfully he seems to be on the mend.

Glad to hear Des is okay......but after spending yet another week in the States with Beggsy I'm surprised they haven't sussed the root cause earlier.. :shades:

Great tunes again last night....specially the latin stuff :thumbsup:

Dave Rimmer wore a more 'user friendly' shirt...and I hooked Barnsey into thinking I was genuinely worried I'd inadvertantly upset him on the previous Steam thread (though no doubt he'll come on here huffing and puffing I never... :thumbsup: ) :thumbsup:

Hope the guys can pull the numbers back, its a great little venue with a top notch music policy...and to think it was a mere quid in early doors....and only a fiver later on for the quality of tunes played... :thumbsup:

Cant understand why you put an event on the same night as Stoke allnighter and more importantly the same night as the North Ward in Crewe which has been running for 6 years on the same night, when most people who attended your event are complaining about the attendance. As we all know Northern Soulies are a minority and surely these events should be staggerd to give us the oppertunity to attend all venues within a given time frame. To me this is overkill and sombody is going to lose out, i am not saying its going to be you but i am sure that you could have picked a better night so that all us Northern Soulies could have a choice..

I hope you find this message as constuctive and in no way to knock your venue.

Kind regards www.crewesoulclub.co.uk

Cant understand why you put an event on the same night as Stoke allnighter and more importantly the same night as the North Ward in Crewe which has been running for 6 years on the same night, when most people who attended your event are complaining about the attendance. As we all know Northern Soulies are a minority and surely these events should be staggerd to give us the oppertunity to attend all venues within a given time frame. To me this is overkill and sombody is going to lose out, i am not saying its going to be you but i am sure that you could have picked a better night so that all us Northern Soulies could have a choice..

Errr, I thought having two allnighters on the same night meant that you had a choice, or have I misunderstood the meaning of the word choice cool.gif

Edited by Dave Rimmer

....but the Northward is a predominately oldies orientated soul night that finishes at 1 ish?

Steam is an allnighter, and a very forward thinking one as far music policy goes.

Besides which, when Beggsy has run it on other dates (when Northward has not been on) there has very rarely been any of the Northward regulars attend (I can probably count them on one hand).

I'm not sure why it was on the same night as the Kings Hall, .....but again, the music policies are a million miles apart, and dates are few and far between (Steam is only on every 2 months anyway) and I presume Johnny would rather clash with oldies events than anything with an upfront music policy?

Just my opinion, and I could be wrong.....but Johnny will be round mine on Thursday evening so I will let him post under my ID to explain - if he feels he needs to?

Regards

Mace

....but the Northward is a predominately oldies orientated soul night that finishes at 1 ish?

Steam is an allnighter, and a very forward thinking one as far music policy goes.

Besides which, when Beggsy has run it on other dates (when Northward has not been on) there has very rarely been any of the Northward regulars attend (I can probably count them on one hand).

I'm not sure why it was on the same night as the Kings Hall, .....but again, the music policies are a million miles apart, and dates are few and far between (Steam is only on every 2 months anyway) and I presume Johnny would rather clash with oldies events than anything with an upfront music policy?

Just my opinion, and I could be wrong.....but Johnny will be round mine on Thursday evening so I will let him post under my ID to explain - if he feels he needs to?

Regards

Mace

I accept that the music policy of the 3 events is far apart but it just seems a shame that they all clashed on the same night. For me the venue decision was easy as i cant manage an allnighter anymore but i am sure there were a lot of people that had to make hard decisions.

I know that Square One has the same music policy as Steam and is attended by a lot of the North Ward regulars including myself, i think this proves we are all Soulies at heart and across the board Soulies at that.

To me there is nothing more exciting than walking into a venue with great music weather it be Modern, Northern or Rare under played oldies and packed to the rafters with Punters.

Are we in danger of Overkill ?

Regards Brav

Visit My Website

I accept that the music policy of the 3 events is far apart but it just seems a shame that they all clashed on the same night. For me the venue decision was easy as i cant manage an allnighter anymore but i am sure there were a lot of people that had to make hard decisions.

I know that Square One has the same music policy as Steam and is attended by a lot of the North Ward regulars including myself, i think this proves we are all Soulies at heart and across the board Soulies at that.

To me there is nothing more exciting than walking into a venue with great music weather it be Modern, Northern or Rare under played oldies and packed to the rafters with Punters.

Are we in danger of Overkill ?

Regards Brav

Visit My Website

Being honest Brav, how many of the Northward regulars would you reckon attend allnighters regularly if at all....goes back to my comment of counting on one hand any that have ventured into Steam?

For that reason, I don't believe Steam or Northward had any effect on each other, as they are totally different events.

The attendance figures at Steam have been low for the last few events, when neither Northward and Kings Hall were on (or owt else locally) and even at a fiver entrance fee (as it has been previously) why haven't more Crewe and local Soulies ventured in, even if only to stay till 2 o'clock?

I know most who go Square One, and very few of those attend Steam...so why not, if the music policy is similar and they can pay a fiver and go early and be no worse off than going a soul night, especialy if there is nowt else on locally?

Clashing isn't good, and there are too many events on nowadays, but I'm sure if Steam was on the weekend before Northward there wouldn't have been many, if any more locals in attendance.......shamefull really....

Edited by Mace

Being honest Brav, how many of the Northward regulars would you reckon attend allnighters regularly if at all....goes back to my comment of counting on one hand any that have ventured into Steam?

For that reason, I don't believe Steam or Northward had any effect on each other, as they are totally different events.

The attendance figures at Steam have been low for the last few events, when neither Northward and Kings Hall were on (or owt else locally) and even at a fiver entrance fee (as it has been previously) why haven't more Crewe and local Soulies ventured in, even if only to stay till 2 o'clock?

I know most who go Square One, and very few of those attend Steam...so why not, if the music policy is similar and they can pay a fiver and go early and be no worse off than going a soul night, especialy if there is nowt else on locally?

Clashing isn't good, and there are too many events on nowadays, but I'm sure if Steam was on the weekend before Northward there wouldn't have been many, if any more locals in attendance.......shamefull really....

Hi Mace

I agree with you totaly it is a shame that more local Soulies dont attend Steam. But i have never seen a Flyer for Steam at any local events and have only ever seen it on Soul Source. I myself have been off the Soul Scene for the last 12 years due to living and working abroad but when i came back to Crewe last year i could not believe my luck too see the Soul Scene back on its feet and alive and kicking.

I'm sure i can drum up a few Creweies to attend Steam at your next event, including myself but cant promice to stay all nite. If you need a hand at distributing Flyers give me a shout as most weekends i attend venues up and down the country, for instance i will be in Wellingboro next weekend.

Good luck for your future events

Brav

Visit My Website

Hi Mace

I agree with you totaly it is a shame that more local Soulies dont attend Steam. But i have never seen a Flyer for Steam at any local events and have only ever seen it on Soul Source. I myself have been off the Soul Scene for the last 12 years due to living and working abroad but when i came back to Crewe last year i could not believe my luck too see the Soul Scene back on its feet and alive and kicking.

I'm sure i can drum up a few Creweies to attend Steam at your next event, including myself but cant promice to stay all nite. If you need a hand at distributing Flyers give me a shout as most weekends i attend venues up and down the country, for instance i will be in Wellingboro next weekend.

Good luck for your future events

Brav

Visit My Website

Not my event Brav, its Johnny Beggs and Des Parker who run it.

To be honest, they don't flyer it as much as they should, but have done in the past and still had very little support from local soulies so I guess Johnny has kinda given up trying to win their support.

Keith Williams usually DJs for them and runs Square One, so I presume Keith usually gives it a good mention over the mic at Square One.....have a word with Clive Read who DJs at Northward, I'm sure he will pretty much confirm that the locals (especially the Northward regulars) would show little interest in attending Steam even if they had free admission, free beer and flyers superglued to their foreheads... :rolleyes:

There is however, plenty of other allnighter attending soulies nationwide, who would love the upfront music policy of this event (and doubtfull that all these people were at Kings Hall)..I usually get between 100 - 130 in Bidds for a similar event, and only a handfull of those are local to Stoke/Crewe etc, so the support is out there for such an event, even if it aint local.

Edited by Mace

Not my event Brav, its Johnny Beggs and Des Parker who run it.

To be honest, they don't flyer it as much as they should, but have done in the past and still had very little support from local soulies so I guess Johnny has kinda given up trying to win their support.

Keith Williams usually DJs for them and runs Square One, so I presume Keith usually gives it a good mention over the mic at Square One.....have a word with Clive Read who DJs at Northward, I'm sure he will pretty much confirm that the locals (especially the Northward regulars) would show little interest in attending Steam even if they had free admission, free beer and flyers superglued to their foreheads... :rolleyes:

There is however, plenty of other allnighter attending soulies nationwide, who would love the upfront music policy of this event (and doubtfull that all these people were at Kings Hall)..I usually get between 100 - 130 in Bidds for a similar event, and only a handfull of those are local to Stoke/Crewe etc, so the support is out there for such an event, even if it aint local.

What a nice thought Mace (Free admission and Free beer) The North Ward would have been empty in 3 seconds flat.

If you could pass onto Jonny Beggs and Des Parker that i am willing to put out Flyers for them.

Brav

Visit Our Website Crewe Soul Club

hi ,as a Crewie who has been on the scene from the torch untill now

i would like to put my 2 pennyworth in

I was booked to d.j at steam sat.

unfortunatly only found out it was on on thursday via soul source

dont do it for the money,as havnt been payed for the last 6 or so spots there

as i had already booked a table to sell at the kings hall

and as its my business full time i had to go to kings hall

the music policy at Steam is upfront,but we at square 1- try to play

quality UNDERPLAYED oldies/x-over/current spins of a more recent "Stafford" onwards nature

i think the trouble with steam is that it isnt flyered enough ,if i didnt know

when it was on,and was suposed to be d.jing

how are the punters gonna know

also ,some people say they just dont like the venue,prefering a hall type setting

for me there is room for both steam type music policy and oldies mostly venues round here

just some people want to hear a few new things

and others wanna pretend there still 20 again listing to the same music they started with

you play oldies from stafford etc and the oldies people say

"never heard this stuff" play something we know

STAFFORD SHUT ABOUT 15 OR SO YEARS AGO

SURELY THESE ARE OLDIES

Remember the records played at the twisted wheel were new releases in the main

brought from the states coz the uk labels wouldnt or couldnt release them

so northern WAS upfront to begin with

the next square 1 will be free admission ,untill the rooms full

because we had to cancel due to elec problems

so lets just see who comes-----------------ARE YOU ???????????

KEITH WILLIAMS-----crewe alex fanatic/northern d.j /record seller /i like proper beer :rolleyes:

Keith,

Some of what you say is true, but there are a few people local to the scene who frequent The Greatstone, Square One and the now defunct Big Lock who never seem to go to Steam.

As far as venues go, Steam is as good as all the afformentioned venues, and none are 'Hall type' with large dancefloors etc.....the music policy is pretty much equal throughout so why they don't go to Steam is beyond me.

I don't think Johnny & Des eve expect to attract the soulies who regularly attend Northward, Nantwich Civic and Alsager Civic etc.....but surely you would think the Big Lock/Square One crowd would be up for it, even if only till 1 or 2 o'clock?

Best of luck with Square One, I rarely get out on fridays anymore since my missus changed her shifts :rolleyes: , so doubtful I will get up there again in the forseeable future.

Regards

Mace

Guest Neil Taylor

Steam`s a cracking all nighter,it changed my taste in the music that`s for sure,Jimmy moore-church street sally,being an highlight.that`s a tune,bangin` uptempo 6ts soul.

My problem is i live in the north east and hate driving back after an all nighter in the morning,and have been sussed by my partners in crime for not taking my turn........that`s my excuse anyway for not going as often.

I can honestly say STEAM plays some of the best music out there,i just wish it was a bit nearer.

Neil

Guest barnsey

johnny and des get this room for nothing and the club takes the money off the door so they make nothing all the dj,s do it for nothing. just for the love of the music. the lads that dj there have some of the best collections in the country .johnny and des go to soul nites and allniters all over the country and tell people that its on.in the passed it has been flyerd all over the country,and been put in on the scene several times.people either don,t fancy it.or because they havent got a spot djing .all i know is that everyone always says how top the music is it has probably gone threw more new stuff in the last couple of years then any other niter in the country (not including the r,n,b does).its the cheapest niter in the country its in the bottom room now which is imho is the best room.you can smoke without the hassle of going outside. johnny and des and all the dj,s have tried to put on niter with top music and done imho but its got to the stage now were its probably time to say f**k it so if attendance doesn,t improve for the next one it will be the last :thumbsup:

johnny and des get this room for nothing and the club takes the money off the door so they make nothing all the dj,s do it for nothing. just for the love of the music. the lads that dj there have some of the best collections in the country .johnny and des go to soul nites and allniters all over the country and tell people that its on.in the passed it has been flyerd all over the country,and been put in on the scene several times.people either don,t fancy it.or because they havent got a spot djing .all i know is that everyone always says how top the music is it has probably gone threw more new stuff in the last couple of years then any other niter in the country (not including the r,n,b does).its the cheapest niter in the country its in the bottom room now which is imho is the best room.you can smoke without the hassle of going outside. johnny and des and all the dj,s have tried to put on niter with top music and done imho but its got to the stage now were its probably time to say f**k it so if attendance doesn,t improve for the next one it will be the last :thumbsup:

evening squire

agree with you. yes i don't know why people don't go. (must be alge's farts or my BO). i know i don't get out and about as much as i used to since getting married plus i do dj at non northern do's. but when i know the music is good i'll try my best. i'd have loved to have gone to soul revolution the other week as it looked like it would have been right up my street but i was djing at a basement party in rusholme. so hopefully get there when they do another.

in the past i've paid for adverts and fliers out of my own money to help johnny and it is disappointing to see that it didn't pay off.

but for as long as johnny and des keep it going and want my services i don't mind playing for free as i know if they rammed the place out they would sort us out. plus i respect what they do and want to achieve.

onwards and upwards

phil

I hope that the next one is not the last, the way i look at it is, well , heres a place to break great new tunes, by whoever, and those kind of places are like rocking horse sh.t, so even if every wannabe DJ, or established DJ,s came with there friends,you would get a nice little crowd in there, and it would give the place some atmosphere, what I like, was up the corner, looking at records with everybody else, it was a nice gathering of like minded people. defo a place for hearing some great unheard of, little played, and stuff that DJ,s never usual get the chance to play , or have the opportunity to play anywhere. as Johnny beggs and Des say, they don't give f..k about the politics, they are just in it, like so many of us, for the music, thats what it is always about.So I personally hope that anybody reading this thread will have a think about coming to the next one, and just give it ago, there is nothing in it for me, but when you have the passion, like they have, and like so many of us have, then I do hope that they can get a decent crowd in next time, to make it so much more worthwhile for them. :thumbsup:

STEAM ALLNITER ! WHERE CAN YOU HEAR QUALITY MUSIC LIKE THIS FOR NEXT TO NOTHING? THE ATTENDANCE IN THE WORDS OF MR BEGGS CRIMINAL,THE UPSHOT IS THE PEOPLE WHO ATTENDED ENJOYED THEMSELVES. I FOR ONE LOVE THIS TYPE OF VENUE BECAUSE YOU CAN AIR SOME STUFF YOU DON'T ORDINARLY PLAY SUCH AS

DELORES GIBSON LIVIN TO PLEASE

THE SQUIRES DON,T ACCUSE ME

THE INTERNATIONAL KANSAS CITY PLAYBOYS QUITTIN TIME

THE ANGELS EVERY NOW AND THEN

HOLY MAX WELL DON'T SAY YOU LOVE ME UNTIL YOU DO

TONY DIAMOND DON'T TURN AWAY

BETTY JEAN MY FELLOWS COMIN HOME

AND SO ON. AS LONG AS THIS IS GOING SO WILL I

REGARDS TO DES HOPE HE MAKES A QUICK RECOVERY SO I CAN RAID HIS LATEST FINDS

WOODY

Steam`s a cracking all nighter,it changed my taste in the music that`s for sure,Jimmy moore-church street sally,being an highlight.that`s a tune,bangin` uptempo 6ts soul.

My problem is i live in the north east and hate driving back after an all nighter in the morning,and have been sussed by my partners in crime for not taking my turn........that`s my excuse anyway for not going as often.

I can honestly say STEAM plays some of the best music out there,i just wish it was a bit nearer.

Neil

stonking tune - first heard it on a Piercebridge cd - never seen one for sale though :(

and it took me 6 months before I got the title from Mace

Wulfie

Guest Neil Taylor

Will be at the next one,with as many people as possible thumbsup.gif

The piercebridge c.d....my tunes,put together by the promoter.

neil.

I hope Johnny and Des persist with Steam....purely from a selfish standpoint mind you, because I want to go there again biggrin.gif ....been trying to spread the word, personally, I think there are people out there missing some great music.....I've been to some of the more up-front nighters recently, Lifeline, Burnley and both of them are fairly well attended, I can't understand why Steam with it's forward thinking music policy doesn't attract some of the same, like-minded crowd.

Edited by DelTee

On behalf of JB & myself I really, really want to thank everybody who supports and contributes to STEAM. The support and enthusiasm shown by yourselves makes us all the more determined to carry on. I'm not going to start throwing Money at Scratchcards, commemorative Mugs, Hologram Flyers, Interactive "Steam" computer games (compatible with Nintando DS) as to me parts of this scene are losing a grip about what's it all about..................the music? Johnny & myself are still keen to carry on and have some good ideas to hopefully move things forward, but one thing is for sure, the music will NOT be compromised. I still want to hear from anybody who wants to contribute towards this crusade.

DES PARKER

P.S. Johnny & myself, between us try and support those chaps, putting on something a little different, up & down the country e.g. D.D.A, Solid Hit Soul, Lifeline, No More Doggin', Burnley, Bidds, Hip Hugger, Greatstone and many, many, many more, as well as all the major All nighters and Weekenders. The one thing all these venues have in common ,apart from them all being completely different from each other, and therefore VALID "upfront" events (and this includes STEAM) is that they are all run by folk whose love of the music is unquestionable (and business sense is possibly misguided) So do the right thing and show these places some support and not just coz you're hoping to get a D.J. spot out of it!

Source Advert