Lea Manor

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

Went down in to wolverhampton to day very sad to see Lea Manor Closed Run down weeds overgrown fly tippers empty !FOR SALE , had some great nights there what a shame ?best place around at one time ,Ped R I P .

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Went down in to wolverhampton to day very sad to see Lea Manor Closed Run down weeds overgrown fly tippers empty !FOR SALE , had some great nights there what a shame ?best place around at one time ,Ped R I P .

Spent some memorable times at Lea Manor...... :D

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Had some great nites there.

Great music policy and the stafford memory nites were brilliant.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Along with the 'Uptown Down South' promotions, a beacon of open minded, forward thinking dance floor soul at the time........had some great nights there & made some great friends.............

Russ

Hi Russ. Yes those days were good. Was talking about this last night. Remember we had Uptown down South, the Manor, the Wilton, 100, and a number of other events at that time. With top people who travelled up and down the country, the dj's at the time (97-2000), and the tunes. Three of the best years for me. Some bloody good times.

I'm in the process of writing a book, started a while back but had other things on the go recently. Hopefully i'll get back to it soon, i'll try not to be too controversial though.

Had your tape out recently from Sounds Around mag. Playing Rob Holmes' tape at the moment, some good tunes on there. Always reminds me how good those days were.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Along with the 'Uptown Down South' promotions, a beacon of open minded, forward thinking dance floor soul at the time........had some great nights there & made some great friends.............

Russ

came to few nighters at the colony club great music friendly people just like the manor.......i would agree may be the best soul times for me too

Social source share

was like being in your front room

playing the records you loved and a full dancefloor dancing to em

many great people and great D.Js played there

special heads up to martin / lynn and tate /paul everton / spook n janice /ted massey /dave rimmer /woody ./lou /dave welding and louise

col and gaye kidson / mark wills /wilksy /len cook and family / barbara h/max and johnny pugh/ kenny onions

very special friends sure theres 100s more

T.C. we miss you loads

Dj ed there too many times to count always felt the love

top people top place,

Social source share

I didn't know that ,sign of the times I guess.

Ped and TC .. two of the very best for sure.

Lin

Social source share

Guest soulboy

was like being in your front room

playing the records you loved and a full dancefloor dancing to em

many great people and great D.Js played there

special heads up to martin / lynn and tate /paul everton / spook n janice /ted massey /dave rimmer /woody ./lou /dave welding and louise

col and gaye kidson / mark wills /wilksy /len cook and family / barbara h/max and johnny pugh/ kenny onions

very special friends sure theres 100s more

T.C. we miss you loads

Dj ed there too many times to count always felt the love

top people top place,

your right mate T C ,was at his grave last year in wellington no reason just took some one and had a look nice bloke real shame ,Ped also , miss him phoning out of the blue come on son lets go to the orwell or some where else and he was down south dropping a flash motor off,2 hours later he was here off we would go . banging modern on the stereo Great times

Social source share

Hi Russ. Yes those days were good. Was talking about this last night. Remember we had Uptown down South, the Manor, the Wilton, 100, and a number of other events at that time. With top people who travelled up and down the country, the dj's at the time (97-2000), and the tunes. Three of the best years for me. Some bloody good times.

I'm in the process of writing a book, started a while back but had other things on the go recently. Hopefully i'll get back to it soon, i'll try not to be too controversial though.

Had your tape out recently from Sounds Around mag. Playing Rob Holmes' tape at the moment, some good tunes on there. Always reminds me how good those days were.

Martyn

Good to hear from you Martyn.......they were good times for sure.

Russ

Social source share

came to few nighters at the colony club great music friendly people just like the manor.......i would agree may be the best soul times for me too

Good times, mate.......ya never know if i ever find a venue, i might have a few more promotions left in me :thumbsup: .

Russ

Social source share

Brilliant forward thinking venue , went there loads of times ,usually on my own before rushing back to get to work on Saturday mornings , some fantastic memories , the tapes were great as well .As Russ said , with Uptown Down South in Newbury running at the same time there was plenty of Soul satisfaction at this time .Best,Eddie

Social source share

I was honoured to be part of the great Albrighton nights, DJ`d at the first one and the very last one and many more in between. Still the highlight of my DJing "career".

Not a spot goes by without me saying something like "Memories of the great Albrighton nights" or "Massive at Albrighton" etc... Loved the place, the people and everything about it....special times.

Chris

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

I was honoured to be part of the great Albrighton nights, DJ`d at the first one and the very last one and many more in between. Still the highlight of my DJing "career".

Not a spot goes by without me saying something like "Memories of the great Albrighton nights" or "Massive at Albrighton" etc... Loved the place, the people and everything about it....special times.

Chris

Well, try not to post too much on here, as we could start a permanent thread going with all the memories. But the influence has never died in people's memories who went, even today. I supose you could say it exposed so many soul fans, to so many good soul tunes. And instilled in them a certain attitude. Which was the whole point of the excercise, when myself, tait, and Lin started it off.

Martyn

Social source share

Everyone who knows me will most probably be sick and tired of me going on about this brilliant venue and soul event and here I have another great opportunity to rabbit on again about how much it all meant to me. Travelling down from Edinburgh by train to Wolves then onto Albrighton, Nigel picking me up at the station, checking into the hotel, meeting up with the "Afternoon Crew" for a beer and a catch up, attending the soul nights and nighters, meeting the very best of soul people and hearing the very best in soul music across the board and most impressive were the local DJ talent, T.C. (R.I.P.), Len Cook, John Weston, Ted Massey, Martyn, Chris Anderton, Ken Onions, Steve Jeffries, Dave Rimmer and all the rest of the 'Albrighton Family'. One of the best things that ever happened to me was to DJ at a few of these events, a real honour and even moreso, being invited into the 'Albrighton Family' and becoming an "Allstar". Best memory (of which there are many) was the 2nd Anniversary Allnighter, the best event I've EVER been to. I could go on and on but I'll leave it here, suffice to say that this was my Wigan/Stafford (both of which I missed) and thanks go to the special friends I made there, Tait, Lin, Marcus & Jamie Taylor, John Pugh, Steve, Lee & Tina Jeffries and to my good friend still, Martyn Bradley. :lol:

David

Social source share

Everyone who knows me will most probably be sick and tired of me going on about this brilliant venue and soul event and here I have another great opportunity to rabbit on again about how much it all meant to me. Travelling down from Edinburgh by train to Wolves then onto Albrighton, Nigel picking me up at the station, checking into the hotel, meeting up with the "Afternoon Crew" for a beer and a catch up, attending the soul nights and nighters, meeting the very best of soul people and hearing the very best in soul music across the board and most impressive were the local DJ talent, T.C. (R.I.P.), Len Cook, John Weston, Ted Massey, Martyn, Chris Anderton, Ken Onions, Steve Jeffries, Dave Rimmer and all the rest of the 'Albrighton Family'. One of the best things that ever happened to me was to DJ at a few of these events, a real honour and even moreso, being invited into the 'Albrighton Family' and becoming an "Allstar". Best memory (of which there are many) was the 2nd Anniversary Allnighter, the best event I've EVER been to. I could go on and on but I'll leave it here, suffice to say that this was my Wigan/Stafford (both of which I missed) and thanks go to the special friends I made there, Tait, Lin, Marcus & Jamie Taylor, John Pugh, Steve, Lee & Tina Jeffries and to my good friend still, Martyn Bradley. :thumbsup:

David

God Davy

Havent seen you forever !! Hope you and the boys and the family are all well mate :)

The memories are endless arent they , some were a laugh a minute like Rimmers V.I.P. corner,and the endless tales of his adventures to the 100 Club :D , the Rimmer boy being presented with his zimmer on one of his Birthdays :lol: .. Weston in his thong :lol: ..the St Trinians fancy dress night :lol: ..

Some were incredibly memorable like Sams big Birthday night and all the Anniversary nights and of course all the Bumpy and Thumpy nights :D:D:D

Others were very sad ,I'll never forget the night we lost TC ..the poignancy of Lens wonderful tribute remains with me physically and in my heart ..how I got through reading it that night ,I'll never know , you could have heard a pin drop in that room on that night , Barbara's beautiful face hurting like hell and bursting with pride all at the same time ,I've never felt so much love and I know implicitly he was there ..so tragic a waste ..and to this day I still can't listen to "I've Had it" without breaking my heart :(

So much music ,so many memories ..each track reminds me of certain people ,too many to list ..they were really ,really good times .

Something like Lea Manor only comes along once in a while ,itwas Legendary although we didn't realise it at the time , and I hope that all the memories people have are fond ones because it was exceptionally special and even though I have moved on somewhat musically , a little bit of my heart is and always will remain back there ,certain intros of certain tunes take me back in a heartbeat ,please God ,I hope that never goes away.

Massive respect to Martyn and Tait and all the DJ's/collectors that were showcased over the years for what they achieved there ...pure "specialness".

thanks for the memory

Lin

xxx

Social source share

God Davy

Havent seen you forever !! Hope you and the boys and the family are all well mate :(

The memories are endless arent they , some were a laugh a minute like Rimmers V.I.P. corner,and the endless tales of his adventures to the 100 Club :boxing: , the Rimmer boy being presented with his zimmer on one of his Birthdays :P .. Weston in his thong laugh.gif ..the St Trinians fancy dress night :( ..

Some were incredibly memorable like Sams big Birthday night and all the Anniversary nights and of course all the Bumpy and Thumpy nights :lol::D:D

Others were very sad ,I'll never forget the night we lost TC ..the poignancy of Lens wonderful tribute remains with me physically and in my heart ..how I got through reading it that night ,I'll never know , you could have heard a pin drop in that room on that night , Barbara's beautiful face hurting like hell and bursting with pride all at the same time ,I've never felt so much love and I know implicitly he was there ..so tragic a waste ..and to this day I still can't listen to "I've Had it" without breaking my heart :(

So much music ,so many memories ..each track reminds me of certain people ,too many to list ..they were really ,really good times .

Something like Lea Manor only comes along once in a while ,itwas Legendary although we didn't realise it at the time , and I hope that all the memories people have are fond ones because it was exceptionally special and even though I have moved on somewhat musically , a little bit of my heart is and always will remain back there ,certain intros of certain tunes take me back in a heartbeat ,please God ,I hope that never goes away.

Massive respect to Martyn and Tait and all the DJ's/collectors that were showcased over the years for what they achieved there ...pure "specialness".

thanks for the memory

Lin

xxx

Hi Lin, we're all fine mate and hope your lot are all well too. Still have loads of photo's of the place and the people, Shaw, Brian and I often have a get together and talk about Albrighton as it meant so much to them as well, the scene lost it's appeal for them after Lea Manor finished, but, as you said, lots of memories that will stay with us forever.

Best wishes :thumbsup:

David

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Hi Lin, we're all fine mate and hope your lot are all well too. Still have loads of photo's of the place and the people, Shaw, Brian and I often have a get together and talk about Albrighton as it meant so much to them as well, the scene lost it's appeal for them after Lea Manor finished, but, as you said, lots of memories that will stay with us forever.

Best wishes thumbsup.gif

David

I think your right about the scene losing its appeal after the manor closed ? i thought it was just me .there seem to be a lot of 'new' people in it now nothing wrong with that but its just different some how.

Edited by soulboy
Social source share

I think your right about the scene losing its appeal after the manor closed ? i thought it was just me .there seem to be a lot of 'new' people in it now nothing wrong with that but its just different some how.

The Albrighton events were a gathering of good friends, a place where you were made to feel part of it rather than just another paying punter, there was a real warmth about the place. I have been to many events where the music policy has been almost as good - thankfully there are a few still going - but none could match that feeling of togetherness, the DJ's were punters and the punters were DJ's and we were all dancers!!

Incidentally, if there are any of the ex-Lea Manor crowd who would like to share their memories/playlists/reviews or anything else I would be happy to use them for the forthcoming magazine. PM if you can help out thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The Albrighton events were a gathering of good friends, a place where you were made to feel part of it rather than just another paying punter, there was a real warmth about the place. I have been to many events where the music policy has been almost as good - thankfully there are a few still going - but none could match that feeling of togetherness, the DJ's were punters and the punters were DJ's and we were all dancers!!

Incidentally, if there are any of the ex-Lea Manor crowd who would like to share their memories/playlists/reviews or anything else I would be happy to use them for the forthcoming magazine. PM if you can help out thumbsup.gif

Spot on as ever .. it was a very personal and 'family oriented' event , nobody was ever just a paying punter ,it was like an unwritten rule to get to know everyone through the doors make them feel welcome , maybe help to familiarise them with the tunes by way of a tape,I know Martyn had been doing that for years before the venue had even been thought of :thumbup: .. it was an all round effort from all concerned and everyone was equal ...DJ's ,collectors ,promoters ..absolutely as it should be ..as with all things guidedfrom the heart it was never ever about financial reward.. all of us would have by choice never charged a penny if we didn't have to.

I'm trying to continue the personal/family ethos with Soul Underground..people on here wouldnt really be akin to the music I know that smile.gif , but we still try to make every single person who comes through the doors special and feel a part of the event rather than just an onlooker .. thats integral for me...at the end of the day any good promoter knows that its the people who make up a good venue ,they're the reason we do it aren't they ??

I'd love to hear peoples memories of Albrighton ,I'm sure there are loads .

Lin

Social source share

Someone said to me recently "If you were`nt there as a DJ you were there as a punter, it was Albrighton, you just knew when it was on and you just went, thats the way it was!"

Special nights?

1. Dave Rimmer and I chatting after about 18 months of 30 or 40 people attending saying it was about time the promoters called it a day...in the next half hour 60 odd people flooded in and Albrighton never looked back!

2. Playing a 40 min spot, starting off with Big Daddy Rogers and finishing with a new release and playing every genre in between to a packed dance floor...no politics at the Lea manor.

3. T.C tribute

4 The all-nighters with the Down south crew

5. The last night, finishing with Johnnie Mae Mathews...

Chris.

Social source share

My first night was via Leicester as guest of Tina & Steve Jeffries, I remember distinctly being greeted at the door by Lin, Tait & Martyn and a bottle of beer followed soon afterwards. I was then treated to music I had never heard before by DJ's I'd never heard of and was hardly off the dancefloor all night, and to top that all off, the legend himself, Mr Ted Masey finished off the night in style and from then I was - and made to feel - one of the 'Albrighton Family'.

Albrighton "Allstars"

1) T.C. (R.I.P.) And still sorely missed.

2) John Pugh

3) Len Cook

4) Chic

5) John Weston

6) Keith Williams

7) Chris Anderton

8) Dave Rimmer

9) Nidge Mayfield

10) Ted Massey

11) Dave Welding

12) Steve Jeffries

13) Dave Miller (One of my proudest moments)

14) Live & Direct: John Pugh & Blue Max

15) T.C. & Len Cook

16) John Mills

17) Jayne C

18) John May

19) Des Parker

20) Dave Allen

21) Martyn Bradley

22) Gary Holiman

23) Ken Onions

24) Blue Max

25) Steve Jeffries.

What a line-up, what a brilliant collection of music played by each of those DJ's. How's about a 'Behind Closed Doors' re-union? What a night that would be.

Social source share

My first night was via Leicester as guest of Tina & Steve Jeffries, I remember distinctly being greeted at the door by Lin, Tait & Martyn and a bottle of beer followed soon afterwards. I was then treated to music I had never heard before by DJ's I'd never heard of and was hardly off the dancefloor all night, and to top that all off, the legend himself, Mr Ted Masey finished off the night in style and from then I was - and made to feel - one of the 'Albrighton Family'.

Albrighton "Allstars"

1) T.C. (R.I.P.) And still sorely missed.

2) John Pugh

3) Len Cook

4) Chic

5) John Weston

6) Keith Williams

7) Chris Anderton

8) Dave Rimmer

9) Nidge Mayfield

10) Ted Massey

11) Dave Welding

12) Steve Jeffries

13) Dave Miller (One of my proudest moments)

14) Live & Direct: John Pugh & Blue Max

15) T.C. & Len Cook

16) John Mills

17) Jayne C

18) John May

19) Des Parker

20) Dave Allen

21) Martyn Bradley

22) Gary Holiman

23) Ken Onions

24) Blue Max

25) Steve Jeffries.

What a line-up, what a brilliant collection of music played by each of those DJ's. How's about a 'Behind Closed Doors' re-union? What a night that would be.

July 18th

Social source share

There has been at least one re-union already, organised by Martyn a few years ago somewhere near Cannock....it was a fantastic night,just like the old days!

Chris

martyn is working on this at the moment...... keep your eye onthe website....

Social source share

There has been at least one re-union already, organised by Martyn a few years ago somewhere near Cannock....it was a fantastic night,just like the old days!

Chris

Missed out on this, work with Steve P(Steve and Michelle) from Milton Keynes, he's always raving about it rolleyes.gif:lol::lol:

Social source share

Missed out on this, work with Steve P(Steve and Michelle) from Milton Keynes, he's always raving about it :D:yes::rolleyes:

Steve and Michelle were part of the "Afternoon Crew", missed only one event as far as I can remember due to a 'Boy Racer' :(

Social source share

People used to turn up not even knowing who was on . "Lea Manor is on mate" that was enough for most

Yep, was enough for us. Great era for the soul scene, very healthy time.

Len.

Social source share

Lin,

Others were very sad ,I'll never forget the night we lost TC ..the poignancy of Lens wonderful tribute remains with me physically and in my heart ..how I got through reading it that night ,I'll never know , you could have heard a pin drop in that room on that night , Barbara's beautiful face hurting like hell and bursting with pride all at the same time ,I've never felt so much love and I know implicitly he was there ..so tragic a waste ..and to this day I still can't listen to "I've Had it" without breaking my heart

I have your Lea Manor 'live' tribute to TC on MP3, I recorded it on the night, it is very emotional and after all these years I have never played it until today!

I always ended my DJ spots with George Smith but after Tony's death I never played it again (home or out) and when I sold all my US 45's (2003 ish) the only one I kept was George Smith because of memories of my old buddy TC.

I can post the Mp3 or I can email it direct to you.

It's your shout.

Best,

Now weepy Spook (David Richards)

Social source share

Lin,

Others were very sad ,I'll never forget the night we lost TC ..the poignancy of Lens wonderful tribute remains with me physically and in my heart ..how I got through reading it that night ,I'll never know , you could have heard a pin drop in that room on that night , Barbara's beautiful face hurting like hell and bursting with pride all at the same time ,I've never felt so much love and I know implicitly he was there ..so tragic a waste ..and to this day I still can't listen to "I've Had it" without breaking my heart

I have your Lea Manor 'live' tribute to TC on MP3, I recorded it on the night, it is very emotional and after all these years I have never played it until today!

I always ended my DJ spots with George Smith but after Tony's death I never played it again (home or out) and when I sold all my US 45's (2003 ish) the only one I kept was George Smith because of memories of my old buddy TC.

I can post the Mp3 or I can email it direct to you.

It's your shout.

Best,

Now weepy Spook (David Richards)

Oh David please don't post it .. it was one of the most difficult experiences I have ever endured and I know that I didnt do justice to Lens very articulate and heartfelt "eulogy"..I think it was one of those moments that you could only understand if you had been part of the Albrighton family and how much TC meant to us .. we even named the modern room after him ,he was such a lovely , lovely lad ,God bless him .

I'm grateful for your offer though and you can mail it to me if you like .

thanks for that .

Lin

Social source share

Special time with VERY SPECIAL people don't think it will ever be bettered, so many memories that will live with me forever.

JP and myself travelled to the Manor one night pulled up on the car park & realised we should be at the Station Hotel !!! Still laugh about it to this day....

Thank you all for contributing to some of the best days of my life.

Ken

Social source share

Chris

I liked Albrighton so much I put one of my soul nights at The Embankment Club on in it's honour. On this particular night a few local soulies came up to me (With coats on) and said..."We didn't travel to listen to this sh*te" and promptly left...They boycotted The Embankment for quiet some time after that...

...The records that were being played are the same records that are now being asked for round these parts, so take that as a massive compliment boys.

Len.

post-1733-1241696632_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I liked Albrighton so much I put one of my soul nights at The Embankment Club on in it's honour. On this particular night a few local soulies came up to me (With coats on) and said..."We didn't travel to listen to this sh*te" and promptly left...They boycotted The Embankment for quiet some time after that...

...The records that were being played are the same records that are now being asked for round these parts, so take that as a massive compliment boys.

Len.

post-1733-1241696632_thumb.jpg

Hi Len

Havent seen you forever , how are you ??

This thread is a real memory jerker .. so many nice people .

Hope you and yours are OK

Lin

x

Social source share

Hi Len

Havent seen you forever , how are you ??

This thread is a real memory jerker .. so many nice people .

Hope you and yours are OK

Lin

x

Hi Lin,

We've been busy making Baby's - Tabittha's now 6 months old, so we're just starting to come out again...(A bit!)

After reading the first post on this thread must admit it had the same effect on me. I went for a drive in me van and was very thoughtful - Have to agree, the soul scene don't seem the same now, I think it's a 'Post Wigan - Pre Soul-Source' thing (No offence like!) Just seems no one was dissecting every event, just enjoying them.

Even Desborough Ritz closing was the end of that special era. :D

Come on Boy's looks like another Albrighton re-union is needed to cheer us all up!

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Hi Lin,

We've been busy making Baby's - Tabittha's now 6 months old, so we're just starting to come out again...(A bit!)

After reading the first post on this thread must admit it had the same effect on me. I went for a drive in me van and was very thoughtful - Have to agree, the soul scene don't seem the same now, I think it's a 'Post Wigan - Pre Soul-Source' thing (No offence like!) Just seems no one was dissecting every event, just enjoying them.

Even Desborough Ritz closing was the end of that special era. :wicked:

Come on Boy's looks like another Albrighton re-union is needed to cheer us all up!

All the best,

Len.

not so sure on the pre-soul source thing len

as it did used to be featured on here a fair bit back then

I certainly enjoyed my visits there

great event

:D

Social source share

Hi Lin,

Even Desborough Ritz closing was the end of that special era. :(

All the best,

Len.

Hi

well I can't think of anything thats more fun laugh.gif

Lovely to hear from you ,glad to hear all is good with you .

Maybe we just can't go back , if we did it might not be as good ..nobody can take away the memories or the music though can they :wave:

take care Len

Lin

x

Social source share

not so sure on the pre-soul source thing len

as it did used to be featured on here a fair bit back then

I certainly enjoyed my visits there

great event

thumbup.gif

Hi Mike :( ,

Thought I was gonna get into trouble for that comment biggrin.gif , As I said, no offence like - Soul-source great...But has a dark side :wave: (Nowt to do with the site though!) Anyway 'Off Topic' sorry folks - 'Albrighton rules ok'

Len.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!