Sam Fletcher - Tollie 9012 - Matrix

Hello Everyone,

(I'm new to this forum so i guess i'd better introduce myself briefly : i'm french and used to collect rocksteady / early reggae 45's but got rid of 'em recently to concentrate on black american music from the 50's to the 70's, mostly soul and r'n'b)

A Japanese seller has Sam Fletcher's "Think It Over" on a white promo Tollie 45 for sale, and advertise it as original. However, judging by the pictures (wich can be very deceptive...) the label looks suspiciously immaculate on both sides (i'm aware this promo format is available as a bootleg), so i asked him the matrix numbers. They read :

-MR 64-3942-RE 452623X

- MR 64-3943-RE 452623X

So my question is : could anyone compare those numbers to a confirmed original and let me know wether the copy i found is a boot or not ?

Thanks for your help.

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest miff

Hello Everyone,

(I'm new to this forum so i guess i'd better introduce myself briefly : i'm french and used to collect rocksteady / early reggae 45's but got rid of 'em recently to concentrate on black american music from the 50's to the 70's, mostly soul and r'n'b)

A Japanese seller has Sam Fletcher's "Think It Over" on a white promo Tollie 45 for sale, and advertise it as original. However, judging by the pictures (wich can be very deceptive...) the label looks suspiciously immaculate on both sides (i'm aware this promo format is available as a bootleg), so i asked him the matrix numbers. They read :

-MR 64-3942-RE 452623X

- MR 64-3943-RE 452623X

So my question is : could anyone compare those numbers to a confirmed original and let me know wether the copy i found is a boot or not ?

Thanks for your help.

According to manships bootleg guide it was booted twice

one is yellow from Belguim, with the MR scratched in and a french boot which is white which also has the MR scratched in. The original should have the MR stamped in within a small circle

Hope that helps

Social source share

According to manships bootleg guide it was booted twice

one is yellow from Belguim, with the MR scratched in and a french boot which is white which also has the MR scratched in. The original should have the MR stamped in within a small circle

Hope that helps

also...originals are pressed on styrene, boots are vinyl

Social source share

Hello Everyone,

-MR 64-3942-RE 452623X

- MR 64-3943-RE 452623X

Thanks for your help.

The Monarchs Recording 'MR' is stamped with the circle around it in the deadwax. Issued in May 64 the Delta numbers you have listed are correct. If its definitely Styrene I would say its real. Also, I have always found Japanese sellers to be of honest integrity but that is obviously my personal experience with dealings I have had. Is he selling this on ebay or somewhere else? Wouldn't mind having a look but from what youve described.

P.S - If the MR is scratched and not stamped into the deadwax its a bootleg!

Social source share

also...originals are pressed on styrene, boots are vinyl

thats not exactly the case i have a yellow issue with the mr stamped in and its vinyl and it has delta no 52623 in the run outs. looks like the delta is the give away if it has it its ok. also i think the white boots were Belgium Domar had loads of them in the 80's he can confirm

Social source share

What about the PS version the promo ?

How is the record itself ? Is it styrene or vinyl ? White label ? What matrix numbers ?

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

The Monarchs Recording 'MR' is stamped with the circle around it in the deadwax. Issued in May 64 the Delta numbers you have listed are correct. If its definitely Styrene I would say its real. Also, I have always found Japanese sellers to be of honest integrity but that is obviously my personal experience with dealings I have had. Is he selling this on ebay or somewhere else? Wouldn't mind having a look but from what youve described.

P.S - If the MR is scratched and not stamped into the deadwax its a bootleg!

Have to agree with the japanese sellers being honest.

I have only ever enquired twice about records and both times the seller was selling it on behalf off someone else,so they asked the original seller if it was a boot or original.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it,both were boots,but at least the seller told me that once he knew

Frecking high prices for boots in Japan,but i think its more a case of them being deceived when they first bought.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert