Mike Hanks D-Town Label

What is considered to be the rarest 45 on this fantastic label ?

Not the most expensive (that would be the precisions yes?) but the hardest to find ?

I was looking at a listing for this label recentley and realised that there are loads of em I have no clue about !

Is there a CD I can get with the whole cat. on ?

Very intrested in these little yellow 45s

Mike Hanks was Berry Gordys closest rival at the time was he not?

I know the Lee Rogers, Silkey Hargreaves, Roosvelt Grier, Cody Black, Precisions, Dee edwards , Lillian Dupree, Teri day, Romey Rand and Fab peps 45s

All brilliant ! Every single 45 !

But I have never heard the Chuck Hentley, Armand Key, Don Heart, Marco Hammon, Dimensions, Ronnie Love, The Hesitations, 45s

So my qestion is - out of the 40 or so 45s - are they all known and have they all been tested ?

What are the other tunes like ? Was it all Soul or Pop aswell ?

just very intrested

Moss

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Not the most expensive (that would be the precisions yes?) but the hardest to find ?

I was looking at a listing for this label recentley and realised that there are loads of em I have no clue about !

I know the Lee Rogers, Silkey Hargreaves, Roosvelt Grier, Cody Black, Precisions, Dee edwards , Lillian Dupree, Teri day, Romey Rand and Fab peps 45s

But I have never heard the Chuck Hentley, Armand Key, Don Heart, Marco Hammon, Dimensions, Ronnie Love, The Hesitations, 45s

So my qestion is - out of the 40 or so 45s - are they all known and have they all been tested ?

just very intrested

Moss

Dimensions did have minor play back in early 70's. My copy is pale blue.

Think Reflections but not as gritty and soulful!!

ROD

Social source share

just very intrested

Moss

The Marco Hammon 45 is OK as are the Don Hearts in an early Detroit style, the Chuck Hently is good too, though I've never managed to pick one up most were made available on "Dancing In D-Town"/"Wheelsville Wonders" goldmine cds some years back.

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Thanks Guys

Right - will have to track down the CD Tony.

What is the Hesitations 45 like on D-Town?

And how much would I expect to pay for the Romey Rand 45 - how often does that turn up ?

That 45 is a beauty IMO

Moss

Social source share

Thanks Guys

Right - will have to track down the CD Tony.

What is the Hesitations 45 like on D-Town?

And how much would I expect to pay for the Romey Rand 45 - how often does that turn up ?

That 45 is a beauty IMO

Moss

Don't think I've heard the Hesitations, think it may be one of the duplicate numbers (on a red label??), Romey Rand anywhere between £75-£150 i would've thought.

Social source share

Thanks again Guys - expecially Mr Motown - Thats very kind !

Does The Rommy Rand 45 ever get played anywhere ? I think it is a fantastic 45. So Soulful !

I Noticed that there is only one copy on popsike so I take it that Its a tough bugger to snag !

I would like a copy of the Teri Day 45 aswell - how much is that gonna cost me ?

Moss

Social source share

Thanks again Guys - expecially Mr Motown - Thats very kind !

Does The Rommy Rand 45 ever get played anywhere ? I think it is a fantastic 45. So Soulful !

I Noticed that there is only one copy on popsike so I take it that Its a tough bugger to snag !

I would like a copy of the Teri Day 45 aswell - how much is that gonna cost me ?

Moss

The Terri Day "I So Glad" is quite hard, I paid 25 for it off Soul Bowl when the average price for every else was 8, Romey Rand was 12 I think, this was back in 84 or 85, the Jackie & Tonnetts was one of the hardest until a few turned up on ebay, it was'nt even listed in Collectors Guide to Detroit back in the mid-80's which leads me to believe the many missing numbers might eventually be filled.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

The Terri Day "I So Glad" is quite hard, I paid 25 for it off Soul Bowl when the average price for every else was 8, Romey Rand was 12 I think, this was back in 84 or 85, the Jackie & Tonnetts was one of the hardest until a few turned up on ebay, it was'nt even listed in Collectors Guide to Detroit back in the mid-80's which leads me to believe the many missing numbers might eventually be filled.

Seen the awesome Romey Rand for £500 once on Lee Fisher's list, and for more than the £150 you mentioned. But can't remember the price. Definately one to go for. Keith Money played this at an Albrighton niter, as i'd requested it.

Jackie & the Tonnettes was one or two known copies until the other turned up, if you can believe Tim Brown. Lillian Dupree was in the group according to Cody Black.

Heard the Jimmy Soul Clark "Ain't that cool"? and was an okay fast dancer in the style of C. Black "Too many irons", and Lee Rogers "Go go girl".

Martyn

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

just very intrested

Moss

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif spacer.gif

The Soul Bros is also a good double-sider, D-Town's answer to the Jackson 5. Also issued on Wheelsville and Wee 3, i think the Wee 3 one is a different cut? And was the last one to be issued.

Martyn

Social source share

I dont know that third Cody Black 45 either !! Is that a nice 45 ? Cant wait to get my headphones out for the D- Town CD

I must pay more attention to CDs - The thing with collecting vinyl is I miss loads of great things that are released on CD ....... you know what I mean !

I Hope I have snagged a Romey Rand - Will see this week. I hope it comes through cause the more I hear that 45 the better it sounds.

I would love to hear that loud at 3 am in the morning !

Moss

Social source share

Romey Rand anywhere between £75-£150 i would've thought.

Kinda agree with Tony...certainly not a £500 disc. The last two copies I had for sale took a long time to move...very little interest... eventually went for £150 and £125.

There's a bunch of Lee Rogers on my sales pages at the moment...with their varying design labels.

And let us not forget the Devotional series.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Kinda agree with Tony...certainly not a £500 disc. The last two copies I had for sale took a long time to move...very little interest... eventually went for £150 and £125.

There's a bunch of Lee Rogers on my sales pages at the moment...with their varying design labels.

:ph34r:

I will give anyone 75 quid to 125 for a copy ! When did you have the last one for sale ?

It just cant be that well known if you had them for a while? Or my ears are deteriorating !!!

I have been asking around and have been told that it is a real tuff one to get now. At least 250

So oos got a spare for me then ??

Thanks M

Social source share

When did you have the last one for sale ?

It just cant be that well known if you had them for a while? Or my ears are deteriorating !!!

I have been asking around and have been told that it is a real tuff one to get now. At least 250

I defo flogged two copies last year...maybe one per year for a few years prior to that too come to think of it (have notes of selling copies in 2005 and 2007 for sure) :ohmy:

I think Prophonics had one for sale on here within the last six months...may still have it...worth PM'ing him :P

A pretty enough tune that's maybe not well known to the masses as it isn't 4x4 Northern...but certainly well known to any collector worth their salt imo :lol:

Here's a few scans from my sales pages...plus a Romey Rand :yes:

post-9555-12455138826059_thumb.jpg

post-9555-12455139523537_thumb.jpg

post-9555-12455139884367_thumb.jpg

post-9555-12455140235393_thumb.jpg

post-9555-12455140520518_thumb.jpg

Social source share

My uncle was in on the Romey Rand session and may have co-written one or both of the sides, though he's not credited. He does own the publishing on both sides, though. He has given me a couple of tape reels of her performing the song in what sounds like a nightclub, with piano accompaniment. Haven't listened to them carefully yet. Allegedly Hanks locked her in the basement till she did a usable take...for like a whole weekend or something.

Social source share

My uncle was in on the Romey Rand session and may have co-written one or both of the sides, though he's not credited. He does own the publishing on both sides, though. He has given me a couple of tape reels of her performing the song in what sounds like a nightclub, with piano accompaniment. Haven't listened to them carefully yet. Allegedly Hanks locked her in the basement till she did a usable take...for like a whole weekend or something.

Thats a great story !!! Talk about putting the pressure on !! Who is your uncle ?

Ive got a copy of this 45 now - vg ++ for what I considered a fair price - so I am happy.

I still want a Teri Day - not as great a tune as Romey but still very nice IMO - so anyone got a decent one for sale around 100 quid ?

M

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

:yes:

That's what i thought, or else i would've brought it. Still looking for a reasonably priced copy.

Martyn

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

just very intrested

Moss

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif spacer.gif

There's a couple of good articles on Mike Hanks and D-Town records in Soul Renaissance #7 & 8.

Martyn

Social source share

After phoning everyone in the middle of their tea !!

The Rommey Rand 45 is impossible to get today in good nick - its real hard !

Just like Cody Black - Mr Blue

Terri is quite rare.... but not in demand..........and never will be cause its a Mod tune apparentley !

Lee Rogers - Go Go Girl - is still a tenner !

The Fab peps is getting hard - about 100 in decent nick, and its hard to find a good copy

The Precisons is dead rare - loads of money !!!!

Silkey Hargreaves - is common if its knackered but very rare if its in good playable condition!

Lee Rogers - cream of the crop - is still a tenner !

And I am still waiting for this D Town CD !

M

Social source share

Thanks Flynny

I have a copy of Rommy Rand now - I am still after the Teri Dee 45 if its a good price!

A copy of Mr Blue would look nice in my box aswell (I will accept a scruffy copy for the right money)

Only another 75 numbers to go then !

Im pleased with the Rommy Rand 45 - Its just all about that Soulful lead vocal ! - the backing is real quiet with just the flute and organ going on in the distance and very subtle backing vocals, a very intresting 45 IMO!

I love it !

Social source share

Thanks again - i have been trying to PM you but at the moment my messager is not working (prob down to the site upgrade)

I will try again tommorow

Thanks !!

M

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert