• Replies 17
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

just found this site

https://www.last.fm/music/The+Mirettes

the line up was

Venetta Fields , Jessie Smith and Robbie Montgomery.

hope that helps.

Three of Ike & Tina Turner's Ikettes - Venetta Fields , Jessie Smith and Robbie Montgomery , became The Mirettes in 1966 , and were together until 1970 . The trio signed to Mirwood Records as an attempt and way to break out from under Ike Turner’s oppressive dictatorship . Unfortunately , despite a promising start , they had legal problems, and were even bullied and intimidated out of performing by Turner and his allies .

With Tina’s sister Alline Bullock as their manager , the former Ikettes left Ike and set up their own sixty date tour : But Ike put restraining orders out and had people physically prevent them from going on stage . They tried billing themselves as

“ The Mirettes - formerly the Ikettes ” , but Ike would have nothing to do with it . Finally , they emerged as the Mirettes without any recognition of the popular act they had been only months earlier.

While no big hits followed , the Mirettes proved they did not need Ike to make great records. Their first single, the smooth and soulful “ He’s Alright With Me ” was released in 1966 on Mirwood Records , but it is the Mirettes’ gritty version of “ In The Midnight Hour ” that R&B fans claim as their favourite . Without hit records or big -name recognition or achievement , money from touring was not as lucrative as session work , and The Mirettes disbanded in 1970 .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Three of Ike & Tina Turner's Ikettes - Venetta Fields , Jessie Smith and Robbie Montgomery , became The Mirettes in 1966 , and were together until 1970 . The trio signed to Mirwood Records as an attempt and way to break out from under Ike Turner's oppressive dictatorship . Unfortunately , despite a promising start , they had legal problems, and were even bullied and intimidated out of performing by Turner and his allies .

With Tina's sister Alline Bullock as their manager , the former Ikettes left Ike and set up their own sixty date tour : But Ike put restraining orders out and had people physically prevent them from going on stage . They tried billing themselves as

" The Mirettes - formerly the Ikettes " , but Ike would have nothing to do with it . Finally , they emerged as the Mirettes without any recognition of the popular act they had been only months earlier.

While no big hits followed , the Mirettes proved they did not need Ike to make great records. Their first single, the smooth and soulful " He's Alright With Me " was released in 1966 on Mirwood Records , but it is the Mirettes' gritty version of " In The Midnight Hour " that R&B fans claim as their favourite . Without hit records or big -name recognition or achievement , money from touring was not as lucrative as session work , and The Mirettes disbanded in 1970 .

Malc Burton

Faces to put to the name Mirettes .......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1245173361922_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Shirley Mae Matthews------who?------Detroit icon --Godmother of Detroit soul was Johnnie Mae Matthews---her daughter was Audrey !!!!

Tony

Social source share

Three of Ike & Tina Turner's Ikettes - Venetta Fields , Jessie Smith and Robbie Montgomery , became The Mirettes in 1966 , and were together until 1970 . The trio signed to Mirwood Records as an attempt and way to break out from under Ike Turner's oppressive dictatorship . Unfortunately , despite a promising start , they had legal problems, and were even bullied and intimidated out of performing by Turner and his allies .

With Tina's sister Alline Bullock as their manager , the former Ikettes left Ike and set up their own sixty date tour : But Ike put restraining orders out and had people physically prevent them from going on stage . They tried billing themselves as

" The Mirettes - formerly the Ikettes " , but Ike would have nothing to do with it . Finally , they emerged as the Mirettes without any recognition of the popular act they had been only months earlier.

While no big hits followed , the Mirettes proved they did not need Ike to make great records. Their first single, the smooth and soulful " He's Alright With Me " was released in 1966 on Mirwood Records , but it is the Mirettes' gritty version of " In The Midnight Hour " that R&B fans claim as their favourite . Without hit records or big -name recognition or achievement , money from touring was not as lucrative as session work , and The Mirettes disbanded in 1970 .

Malc Burton

thanks malc, some great info you've given me therethumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Three of Ike & Tina Turner's Ikettes - Venetta Fields , Jessie Smith and Robbie Montgomery , became The Mirettes in 1966 , and were together until 1970 .

Was watching one of those "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" shows on the Food Network last night, and one of them was owned by Robbie Montgomery! here's a link...

https://www.oprah.com/own-sweetie-pies/Welcome-to-Sweetie-Pies-Miss-Robbie-Montgomery

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Shirley Mae Matthews------who?------Detroit icon --Godmother of Detroit soul was Johnnie Mae Matthews---her daughter was Audrey !!!!

Tony

Sherlie Mae Matthews was a member of the Belles and later the Blackberries that backed Steve Marriot and Humble Pie. Apart from being one of LA's top session singers and backing vocals arranger, she was Mirwood's main staff writer who was closely associated with the Mirettes and she moved to Australia to live and work with her good friend Venetta from the group. She wrote songs like Jackie Lee's Oh My Darlin, Olympics Same Old Thing, Jesse Davis Gonna hang On In There, Marva Holidays It's Written All Over My Face. All totally LA based nowt to do with Detroit just a similar name.

Ady

Social source share

Sherlie Mae Matthews was a member of the Belles and later the Blackberries that backed Steve Marriot and Humble Pie. Apart from being one of LA's top session singers and backing vocals arranger, she was Mirwood's main staff writer who was closely associated with the Mirettes and she moved to Australia to live and work with her good friend Venetta from the group. She wrote songs like Jackie Lee's Oh My Darlin, Olympics Same Old Thing, Jesse Davis Gonna hang On In There, Marva Holidays It's Written All Over My Face. All totally LA based nowt to do with Detroit just a similar name.

Ady

And Sherlie posted this link on FB last night...

https://longshotsblues.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/friday-freak-flag-flying-are-you-ready-pacific-gas-electric/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert