The Great Cd & Soul Swindle?

Guest the dukester

i have stated that i enjoy CD's as a form of home entertainment

link

i hope you enjoyed all the swap cds from 6 months ago mark. still waiting for yours...PMd you some time ago. you must have forgotten...

Social source share

• Replies 109
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

it's hard logically to defend a pro-vinyl anti-cd stance to someone who knows nothing about the northern scene. but it surely should be an open and shut book to anyone who is into rare soul.

little local dos, charging nothing or very little to get in, cds are fine IMO.

anything bigger, has to be proper records.

agree with dodge though that the preachy side of things is just boring bollocks. i read somewhere on here or rsf about butch (i think, if someone else i apologise) going up to some decks and hurling some dude's acetate of a big sound across the room. while i sympathise with his sentiments, he ought to have been chinned for his collossal arrogance. it's not his place to dictate anything to anyone. it's his place to play records that people want to dance to...end of. same goes for all of us - live and let live, if you don't like someone playing cds, don't go to their venue.

the weird thing is unless i've missed it i haven't seen anyone talk about the romance and pleasure associated with watching 40-year-old pieces of plastic, produced 3500 miles away, rotate on a little deck in, i dunno, derby. that's half of the fun for me...it's a link with the artists, the black america of the 60s, which cds can never give you.

Social source share

it's hard logically to defend a pro-vinyl anti-cd stance to someone who knows nothing about the northern scene. but it surely should be an open and shut book to anyone who is into rare soul.

little local dos, charging nothing or very little to get in, cds are fine IMO.

anything bigger, has to be proper records.

agree with dodge though that the preachy side of things is just boring bollocks. i read somewhere on here or rsf about butch (i think, if someone else i apologise) going up to some decks and hurling some dude's acetate of a big sound across the room. while i sympathise with his sentiments, he ought to have been chinned for his collossal arrogance. it's not his place to dictate anything to anyone. it's his place to play records that people want to dance to...end of. same goes for all of us - live and let live, if you don't like someone playing cds, don't go to their venue.

the weird thing is unless i've missed it i haven't seen anyone talk about the romance and pleasure associated with watching 40-year-old pieces of plastic, produced 3500 miles away, rotate on a little deck in, i dunno, derby. that's half of the fun for me...it's a link with the artists, the black america of the 60s, which cds can never give you.

link

Hi Dan I know just what you mean about the pleasure of playing vinyl :lol: I've been trying to explain this to my wife for years and she still does not get it.

It's great playing vinly at home for all the reasons you said, but it's even better playing to a full dance floor :thumbsup:

Social source share

I always use original vinyl. I can see that some small local venues will use cd's and if they are not hiding the fact then I don't have a problem with it. These are not rare soul events more like good night out events.

What I do object to are "big name DJ's" at the big all nighters .... playing off cd's. I think this is well out of order and they should be named and shamed.

link

.....rare soul events and big all nighters......in the above case people attending these events are equired to:

take their shoes off before entering the hall

women must wear veils, and stay at the back of the hall

AND...

NO DANCING!!!!

whos for the first rare soul fatwa??? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Fair enough Ian, if that's how you view it, then I wouldn't knock you for thinking that way, I've always taken the view of each to their own and all that, whether I agree with them or not.  But take the imaginary scenario that Butch had forgotten to bring some of his big bucks originals but remembed he'd CDR'd them to listen in the car so shot out to his car, grabbed the CDR and played them off that.  The chances of that happening are zero I know, but if he did, would you enjoy his spot any less because of that?  :lol:   :yes:

link

Yes it whould be ok,as butch would obviously say sorry to is reguler punters,and it would not probberly not,happen again hope not anyway,if some so called big DJ started playing cd,i would find it very cinical and would wanda whether he`d sold is big numbers,to buy big house;car;number plate;scooter;swimming pool;ets,or even other big numbers just to go round the same again just devalueing what hes suposed to be promoting!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

.....rare soul events and big all nighters......in the above case people attending these events are equired to:

take their shoes off before entering the hall

women must wear veils, and stay at the back of the hall

AND...

NO DANCING!!!!

whos for the first rare soul fatwa??? :lol:

link

All I said was that Stateside demo was good enough for Jehovah :thumbsup:

Social source share

Firstly thanks to Mark Bicknell for the character reference :P .

Secondly let me be clear about my views once and for all:

I play original vinyl - thats about my views and my own standards.

I visit attend venues that play cd's / boots / reissues because I don't expect every one to have the same views as me and I want to support my local venues.

As a co-promoter some of our regular guests are known not to play only originals but we still book them.

Where venues play off cd I would like to hear a wider selection of music particularly they have the widest spectrum of good quality soul to go at.

I think that playing other than originals increases the frequency of hearing tracks and this leads to them becoming 'tired' sooner which I don't think is good for the scene.

I know people will not agree with all (if any) of the above and that is fine.

Hope that clears things up wicked.gif

We could agree to disagree but I think we aren't even agreeing on that wacko.gif

Regards

Ged Parker

Social source share

I know Ged Parker to be a very decent chap who simply has a passion for authentic records, often the topic of conversation with Ged when we hook up is based on talking bollocks about our latest additions to the collections, how much, where did you get it from kind of stuff which seems to be common ground on the scene with people who collect in the true sense of the word, so i know his comments to be very much tounge in cheek.

This debate will go on and on without any clear resolution i feel, the fact is before any of the bootlegs, EMI discs, taylor made dubs from big records, CD's, Tapes whatever the tunes, discoveries,records were at their inception to the scene sourced from original American/British/Rest of the world records or master tapes from the vaults on the unissued material.

Basically this is the true format that some people get into from the off, from a personal point of view and i think i speak for many other DJ's it's about being true to yourself and presenting the music in it's genuine, authentic original form which is the key to all this, yes i have stated that i enjoy CD's as a form of home entertainment and yes i preview/review new compilations on my Solar show as part of promotion for the companies efforts who are kind enough to supply me with promo product, as long as the guidelines are followed on a reissue i.e it's legit then i see no problem in this what so ever, what is underhand is the dupliction of official releases on home PC's for resale but thats another story!!!!

Now as i said in my previous post here who are we to down some promotions who do it their way, it might not be our way but there is nothing we can to about it as it's too far down the line now, perhaps a little like football you have the elite shall we say in the top flight of the game and you have the lower division clubs who play the game well but don't just have the money to buy the big players so they stay in the middle divisions loving the game with as much passion as the big guns yet unable or choose not to get involved with F.A infighting and petty politics, just play and love the game.

Lastly, collecting original records big ticket or otherwise is without question a bug and addiction, it's about the chase and finally getting that elusive 45 in the palm of your hand and too play it at a gig and get a reaction to it is second to none, yes you get the same reaction on the dance floor via another sound carrier or format but theres something a little special when you have the real deal going on, perhaps a little ego and pride comes into play but the important issue is that by going down the original route you are staying true to yourself, true to the artists to a degree who made the records in the first place and more importantly you are flying the flag of a scene based on rare often hard to find records which has to be the whole ethos of this scene and sets us apart from other club cultures, we should embrace all promotions on this scene as it's keeping the whole thing going, as we have said if you don't like the methods of some promotions then you don't have to attend, there are plenty of gigs to cater for all styles and levels of the scene, if going to a local soul night once a month does it for you then what's wrong with that, i often think that the more casual northern soul fan perhaps has a little more fun than the more serious followers as format of tune, politics and so on has little or no interest to them in any shape or form.

I feel we must respect everyones view point on this old chestnut as it's a debate that's been going on for years now and there is still no solid resolution or winner in all this as all that suffers is the scene.

How i, Ged, Mr Rimmer, the Drax boys conduct what we do has very little to do with anyone else really, for some people it's a way of life and for others it's an entertaiment and hobby, at whatever level good on everyone i say for being part of the scene but for me i get my 'Soul Self Satisfaction' the best way i can and within my financial means an ethic and restriction that govens most of us i feel but at the gigs i have to stick to the original ethos and will continue to do so otherwise Mr Rimmer will tell everyone and write about me in his magazine and we can't have that.................

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

One of the reasons Mark Bicknell is a truly respected friend of mine.....enough said.

Brett Franklin

Social source share

(As a footnote, I'll add that it was at Phil Richards Wedding reception and there were only CD decks available so I'd have looked a bit of a plonker with my cherished 7" bits of vinyl trying to play them !!!!)

link

SAY IT ISN'T SO DAVE.......SAY IT ISN'T SO...... wicked.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert