Club Caliente - Peterborough - 24 July 2009

Just a few lines to kick off this thread. What a great turn out for 'Club Caliente' in Peterborough last night! Over 100 in through the door, busy dance floor all night and loads of new faces enjoying the music which was Quality all night.

Great night also for Big Baz celebrating his 50th Birthday on the night.

A few photo's here plus a link (later) to a few more from my camera. A more detailed report to follow with my early doors and double decking finale with Russ.

post-7608-12485480803864_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12485481163978_thumb.jpg

post-7608-1248548141258_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12485481889527_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12485482427273_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest smudgesmith

100 in through the door.....they haven't got trouble with the bloody ants again Ray have they? :)

No seriously well done its starting to put Peterborough on the Soul map where it should be :lol:

Well done guys

Well done Russ/Ray. Me and Wendy will definately be backthumbsup.gif

thanks john, always a pleasure to see you and wendy thanks for your support thumbsup.gif

what can i say, i know we will always say "what i great night" but it really was, a fantastic crowd as said 100+

in this cracking venue which is so right for this sort of event, and man didnt that sound system sound fantastic

now many events do you go to were the sound is second best with crap equipment and knackered stylus"s

a big thankyou to Ray, Mick BB, Brett Smith & finally Steve Jay who did a extra 30mins.

All played some fantastic tunes right across the board which kept the dance floor busy all night right

til the final record!!

great to see a few more locals in, plus all the good people who travelled to this smart venue

you cant please everyone with the music policies but im sure noboby can complain about the venue

and what it as to offer, even homemade food, superb hot drinks, fantastic layout , beautiful barmaid wow!!

now looking forward to the next "CLUB CALIENTE" event "HALLOWEEN SPECIAL" 31st October 8 - 3am!!!!

onwards and upwards and many thanks for all the positive comments and feedback which is always appreciated.

russ

100 in through the door.....they haven't got trouble with the bloody ants again Ray have they? whistling

No seriously well done its starting to put Peterborough on the Soul map where it should be :thumbup:

Well done guys

luckily the ants stayed away:wicked: peterborough as always and will be on the soul map!!!

hopefully now even more with mixed and varied soul events fridays/saturdays and soon sundaysthumbsup.gif

russ

Edited by russoul1
Guest gibber

Best crowd so far , people travelling far & wide , nice to see Karen b & Steve G a dj out and about enjoying them selves without being booked , faces from the past Barry Giles & Mel , must be 15 years since I have seen them .

A great mix of music all-night, something for every one young Brett smith , just great ,read the floor perfectly , filled it with his first tune Eddie bishop then mixed it perfectly also a great set doubled decking with Mickey bb . I liked Mickey's early doors set as well., then came Steve jay .He plays all the tunes I like but he's got to be one of the best djs about . Played right across the board for an hr and half ( Carl couldn't make it for some reason )and kept the floor busy through out . Russ & ray finished the night of in there usual style ..

A great night . See you at the next one . thumbsup.gif

Gibber

If, I HAD decided.. to be TOTALLY stupid, and venture out on the Friday night - after countless weeks of 'Two-Venue' weekends (three venues/two days last weekend..), AND my decrepit old frame begging for a little respite (ie. a 'rest' day before the planned Saturday pilgrimage to Bishop's Wood) - I would most defo have been calling into the Club Caliente. Even though, probably, just for an early couple o' three hours before the additional 2 1/2 hours jaunt to Burnley.

I would have enjoyed checking out the venue and having a chin-wag with 'The Boy's' (Russ 'n Ray :ph34r: ) along with the guest music providers, and other familiar faces (Barry & Mel.. that's TWICE this year !! after not seeing ether of 'em for an eon :unsure:Wot's that Mr Giles up to I wonder ?? :shhh: ).

Looking at the photo's I would most certainly take, instantly, to the layout.. I LURVE places that have an 'instant' (& insitu) buzz/atmosphere. One borne purely by way of the odd strategically placed pillar/column, or two, for example or - in the case of the 100 Club - the odd 'raised manhole cover' or two. Barnsley's Citrus Rooms is another, with it's 'buzz' created by the cool layout of the place itself and the areas of public access. The stage area with it's both-side access steps & spacious 'wings'; the record bar; the smoking areas (both down & upstairs); the wooden decked area outside the upstairs R'n'B room being a particularly popular 'hang-out.. It all just adds to the quality of a 'GOOD' night of Soul Music entertainment & social interaction with like-minded nutters Soulie type peeps. :yes:

Pity I missed the musical offerings (young Brett could defo be one of 'Tomorrow's' mainstream 'Niter Jocks..), AND the excellent turnout !! Good to hear (if not to witness). :thumbup:

BUT !! Now then - C'mon Barry.. Exactly, HOW LONG are ya gonna make these birthday celebrations ?? I seem to recollect them starting at The (brilliant) Attic Soul 'nite.. On the 4th JULY !!!! :ohmy:Talk about milking it :D

I'm looking forward - even MORE now - to my night as one of the Guest DJ's at this duo's other local promotion.. The City, on Friday 7th August (my burfday weekend, too.. :tumbleweed3: ). and looking forward, also, to sharing the honours with Mr Warren Boogaloo. First time I'll have had the pleasure to appear on the same line-up, but caught a few of his sets over the past 9 months or so. Well impressive to say the least. :good:

I sincerely hope the throngs of Friday's Club Caliente Soulie supporters continue their appreciation of what is being provided for them - on their own doorstep, to boot !! - and mosey along to celebrate the lad's anniversary at The City. Contributing to one of them 'Kicking' nights that are talked about for an eternity.

The 'Two R's' certainly deserve it for their perseverance and persistence - whilst sticking exactly to their intended aims all the way through. I hope my contribution in a couple of weeks doesn't have them vowing never to promote another function as long as they live :innocent::laugh:

Some play lists would be greatly appreciated from the DJ's - give the rest of us an idea of wot we missed out on.

See you ALL.. on the night..

Fingers shades

was a great night

some cracking tunes played by some of the djs including mick bb and 3 tunes from ray that i didnt know , matadors , quotations and chichi and also good to hear the doris troy played out loud.

also one of russ's new purchases was v good but cant remember its title , too much cola and j2o

looking forward to the city club next time :thumbsup:

dav

A very good night, enjoyed it. :thumbup:

really good to see you steve, coming back to your old stomping ground!!

ok a few of what i played which were mostly requests;

george hughley - do the beatle

leo price - hey now baby - up down

mary stallings - you gotta git

cajun hart - got to find a way

homer banks - sweetie pie

knight bros - love cant you hear me

tommy navarro - i cried my life away

jr walker - good rockin

chris clark - loves gone bad

marvin gaye - when i had your love

malcoln hayes - searchin for my baby

debonairs - please come back baby

patti austin - ive given all my love

tommy bush - i dont like it

christine cooper - heartaches away my boy

joe bataan - special girl

phyllis brown - why

gerri hall - who can i run to

pat & the blenders - just because

delegates of soul - ill come running back

chapter 5 - you cant mean it

mark loyd - when im gonna find her

george freeman - down and out

jimmy stokes - keep on going

doug banks - baby since you went away

a real mixed bag of 60s, really nice that people take note and request certain tunes, thanks!!

a few i had to blown the dust off too....

thanks for all the feedback texts etc

You cant please everyone with the music policies ....
Well it was spot on for me, a few oldies played for requests, but plenty of great underplayeds too, and that is what the event says on the tin. This was my first time to visit the Caliente, and a good one it was too. Good to see Mick Beeby and meet Brett for the first time, well done on your sets. I always enjoy Steve Jay's sets too, good to see you there Steve, and at A1 Grantham on Saturday too.

Always big thanks to Ray and Russ for another enjoyable event, looking forward to the City anniversary night.

Guest Catfish

Arrived a bit late as went to hear a band first, but walked in and was hit with a really brilliant buzzy atmosphere- the place was FULL and it's starting to attract travellers, as it should do! Had a bit of catching up to do with some mates so didn't dance much, but the dancefloor here is lovely. Saw Steve Guanori shuffling! With talc!

Seen Russ's playlist and wish could have been there earlier, but I did enjoy what I went to first, as well. Two good nights out in one night- can't beat it. And yes I think Baz's birthday should go on for at least another month. My 40th lasted three weeks; he has to beat that.

Am honoured to have been asked to DJ at City Club on 7th August with the 'absolutely fantastic two', plus Fingers and Warren- I will have to work hard to even come close to keeping up there, but will have a good go!

Edited by Catfish

GREAT is the only way to describe this,great venue, great dancefloor,great sound system, great mix of music, and great atmosphere generated by the GREATEST thing of all ...........................the people attending ,what a fantastic crowd , a real buzz indeed , well done Russ and Ray and thanks for inviting me to DJ once again.

Really nice to catch up with all the usual suspectsthumbup.gif the most pleasant suprise of the night seeing Steve G and Karen had driven up from London to check it outyes.gif and nice to see Steve burning up the dancefloor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a DJs perspective it was an absolute pleasure to play to such a great crowd , looking forward to the opportunity to do it again at ITS in august as everyone was saying they were coming over to it!! ,anyway heres what I remember playing.....................

LEE FIELDS TAKE ME BACK

JERRY WASHINGTON DONT WASTE MY TIME

REGGIE SOUL MY WORLD OF ECSTACY

HESITATIONS IS THIS THW WAT TO TREAT A GIRL

IMPERIAL WONDERS JUST A DREAM

DARRELL BANKS OUR LOVE

RONNIE MCNIER SITTING IN MY CLASS

CONTINENTAL SHOWSTOPPERS NOT TOO YOUNG

KOOL BLUES CAN WE TRY LOVE AGAIN

INNERSECTION IM IN DEBT WITH YOU/ LET ME LOVE YUH

JACKSON SISTERS I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES

DWIGHT FRANKLIN FOXY LILA

DAVID RUFFIN QUESTIONS

OJAYS TO PROOVE I LOVE YOU

ARETHA HERE WE GO AGAIN

JOI CARDWELL LET IT GO

DIMITRI FEAT OMAR STRONG MAN

LOS CHARLEYS ORCH SOME OF THE THINGS

21ST CENTURY SHADOW OF A MEMORY

RHETTA HUGHES I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP

LYNN VARNADO WASH & WEAR LOVE

TEARRA JUST LOVING YOU

EXECUTIVE JAM IM INTO YOUR LOVE

JAY PLAYER LOVE IS THE ANSWER

RHONDA DAVIS CAN YOU REMEMBER

JOHNNY MAE MATHEWS I HAVE NO CHOICE

BILL WRIGHT A MAN IN LOVE

Once again thanks to all those attending for making this such a GREAT NIGHT

Steve................................

Its Top Soul 2nd ANNIVERSARY VERY SPECIAL GUEST ................

TOP UK SOUL D.J. TERRY JONES (TOGETHERNESS, VILLAGE SOUL ,ETC .ETC )

+BARRY COOPER & STEVE JAY ............

SPALDING SERVICES & SOCIAL CLUB ,PE 11 1TX

FRIDAY 21ST AUGUST

Edited by sjay

For once I really enjoyed the build up for this night. Had a few phone calls/texts in during the week and had a feeling it would be another good night. A good night - it was a great night!

As usual a few early birds in - RoyB (plus carload), Pete Mattocks, Dave Wapples et al.. all keen to get that early ice-cold beer in and claim one of the sofas for the evening! This was before 8pm so I was still setting up and sound testing the equipment. With the sound testing done I was off with the early doors first hour which is quite nice as there is no real pressure with most folk quite happy to listen to what your playing whilst getting settled in for the night. So a real mix bag from me for that first hour. What a great feeling also saying hello to folk as they arrive in between queuing in the next record and even pulling out a couple of records for those you notice just arriving as you know they like them (thanks Sue for the nod of approval with the Jewel Akins).

post-7608-12486472970943_thumb.jpg

Play list early Doors

FANTASTICS - HIGH NOTE - SOUND 7 STAGE

BILLY HAMBRIC - TALK TO ME BABY - FURY

MATADORS - YOU'D BE CRYING - KEITH

CHI CHI - JUST LET IT HAPPEN - KAPP

BOBBY WILLIAMS - BABY I NEED YOU LOVE - UK ACTION

DORIS TROY - BUT I LOVE HIM - UK MOJO

QUOTATIONS - I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY - DIVENUS

CAUTIONS - NO OTHER WAY - SHRINE

JEWEL AKINS - MY FIRST LONELY NIGHT - ERA

BILLY BUTLER - SWEET DARLING - BRUNSWICK

RENALDO DOMINO - DON'T GO AWAY - BLUE ROCK

GEORGE JACKSON - THAT LONELY NIGHT - DOUBLE R

MARTHA & VANDELLAS - IN MY LONELY ROOM - GORDY

KIM WESTON - DO LIKE I DO - UK MOTOWN

TEMPTATIONS - BEAUTY IS ONLY SKIN DEEP - GORDY

LUTHER INGRAM - IF ITS ALL THE SAME TO YOU - HIB

DANNY MOORE - SOMEBODY NEW - ALLRITE

GC CAMERON - YOURE WHATS MISSING IN MY LIFE - MOTOWN

VIRGIL HENRY - I'LL BE TRUE - COLOSSUS

BOBBY SANSOM - DON'T LEAVE - SUBLIME

TRAMMPS - I KNOW THE FEELING - UK PIR

DOUG PARKINSON - I'LL BE AROUND - AUS SOUTHERN STAR

TERRY CALLIER - LOOK AT ME NOW - CADET

Great to then hand the decks over to Mick Beeby who played a great set whilst I was off saying hello's. Good to see Steve G, Kev Draper, David Hayden and Bridget and Mick McKenna (is it really 11 years ago we were doing this kind of thing at 'Breaks' together!). I don't think we will see a play list and comments for Mick Beeby as I know he's not into computers/Internet.

Next up its Young Brett, who played a blinding set mixing a great selection of 45's. Brett has this habit of digging out some well known 'Oldies' and making them sound fresh and new again? I am sure a few others will have picked this up hearing Brett DJ out and about. Always gives me a good feeling seeing and hearing a few new and younger faces showing some of the older DJ's how it can be done. Nice one Brett.

post-7608-12486474057862_thumb.jpg

Russ then takes over and played for me one of the best sets I've heard him play. A great mix of interesting 60's Soul and continuing to introduce some new (certainly to me and obviously to a few others based on heads peering over turntables) and great records. Interesting as well several requests for records that Russ has been plugging away that are gaining popularity. Well done Russ. A brief interlude as Russ does a presentation to Big Baz with another one of Helen's superb cakes to celebrate Big Baz's 50th birthday. In fact my photo's show that there were actually two cakes!! All this adding to the now party atmosphere in the 'Caliente'.

Great to see also the fish & chips going down well along with tea and coffees making a nice change to cold drinks and a bag of crisps until you get home. How many of you get in after a night out and the first thing you just have to do is put the kettle on for a cuppa?

Steve Jay then steps up and does a superb job with his extended spot playing a great mix from 70's thru 80's and beyond. I must admit I do like the 60's but I cant deny a good number of Steve's set had me tapping my foot whilst looking on at the busy dance floor and hearing the applause after each track. Shame my finances can't stretch to pulling together a collection of the sort of tracks Steve was playing in addition to me being able to grow my 60's collection!! Nice professional job again Steve!

Last hour then with Russ and I continuing with our (legendary? - getting that way Russ!!) double decking finale. A mix with a few old favourites of mine and a few requests.

post-7608-12486473700563_thumb.jpg

Double decking with Russ last hour of the night

THE Q - THAT'S THE WAY - HOUND

CECIL WASHINGTON - I DON'T LIKE TO LOOSE - PROPHONICS

CHANDLERS - YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONLEY - COL SOUL

TROY DODDS - TRY MY LOVE - EL CAMINO

BETTY LAVETTE - STAND UP LIKE A MAN - CALLA

RAY POLLARD - THIS TIME - SHRINE

ACCENTS - YOU BETTER THINK AGAIN - ONEDERFU;

JIMMY BEAUMONT - YOU GOT TOO MUCH GOING - BANG

CLYDIE KING - SOFT & GENTLE WAYS - IMPERIAL

TIMI YURO - IT'LL NEVER BE OVER FOR ME - LIBERTY

Thanks to everyone for a contributing to making this a really enjoyable night. One to look back on.

Ray Mahoney

ps/ check out the Photo album link here:

https://www.soul-sour...lbum&album=3177

post-7608-12486472970943_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12486473700563_thumb.jpg

post-7608-12486474057862_thumb.jpg

Edited by Raym

What a great nite good.gif loved DJin down at Pboro as always great crowd.

thanks for all the comments i got on the nite and on here!

play list-9.30 til 10.00, i cant really rember what the order was so il just list what i played for my 1st half hour :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Lou Johnson - Unsatisfied - Bigtop

Innocent Bystanders - Frantic Escape - Atlantic

Gia Mateo - If You Cant Say Anything Nice - RCA Victor

Spencer Wiggins - Lets Talk It Over - Torch Records (unrealsed)

Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart - Revilot

Spyder Turner - I Can't Make It Anymore - MGM

The Impressions - You've Been Cheatin' - ABC-Paramount

Dave Love - Colalined Baby - Solid Soul

The Dramatics - All Because Of You - Sport Records

Brothers Of Soul - Come On Back - Boo Records

Garlans Green - Girl I Love You - Gamma

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

think thats all of them!

play list - 11.00 til 11.30- this list is in order and was for my 2nd half hour

Eddie Bishop - Call Me - ABC-Paramount

The Van Dykes - Save My Love For A Rainy Day - Mala

The Satisfactions - Take It Of Leave It - SMASH

Carl Carlton - I Can Feel It - Back Beat

Moses Smith - Try My Love - Dionn

The Stratoliners - What Do You Want With My Love - Federal

The Millionaires - Never For Me - Philips

Betty Moorer - Speed Up - Wand

Belita Woods - Magic Corner - Moira

Felice Taylor - I Can Feel You Love - Kent

Betty La Vette - See What Condition My Condition is in - Karen

Angela Davis & The Mighty Chevelles - My Love (Is So Strong) - Flaming Arrow (Request)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

And thats what i played thumbup.gif i really enjoyed djin and lookin forward to the next time im on.

Thanks again for all your comments!

See you all again soon

'Young Brett'

This was another great night at the Caliente.

The vibe is spot on at this event with a combination of great venue plus a great crowd.

Good to speak to Steve G back in Peterborough as a punter & he seemed to be enjoying himself on the dancefloor as well.

Looking forward to the next one.

Pete

Source Advert