• Replies 31
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Beeks

more on in a minute or two BB king The kinks John lee Hooker

This is more like it...last half an hour of the last programme was shite...Fleetwood Mac?!?!?

Social source share

Just caught the white Brit stuff but gotta admit I was a huge fan of that as well as the black US originals. I saw Cream in 1966 at Manchester Uni for 6 bob with a totally unknown Jethro Tull supporting on a small stage. I was actually more impressed by JT though they were both great.

They didn't mention the best lot The Family from Leicester.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Just caught the white Brit stuff but gotta admit I was a huge fan of that as well as the black US originals. I saw Cream in 1966 at Manchester Uni for 6 bob with a totally unknown Jethro Tull supporting on a small stage. I was actually more impressed by JT though they were both great.

They didn't mention the best lot The Family from Leicester.

I must admit not really a fan of the British R&B stuff...though I did like John Mayalls Bluesbreakers for a period of my youth yes.gif

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Guest Beeks

LJB's playing a stinker of a Stormy Monday, perhaps I'll re-listen to T Bone

Hahaha he looks like the antithesis of blues white man in Tux laugh.gif

Social source share

I love a lot of the white stuff except the Stones and the B word obviously.

Brian Auger, Spencer Davies , Georgie Fame. and the Kinks (obviously)....and big Long John too:yes:

Just bin listening to Black Cat on Youtube...brilliant!!

Social source share

Guest Beeks

In theory yes, in practice it's a badly played and sung dirge. There were as many bad black acts as white. Admittedly he was 50 years past his best.

Ok he wasn't the most polished Delta Blues man...nor the most accomplished guitarist by a long shot...but boy the man sang like the weight of the world was on his shoulders...the music at its most basic and dirty...love it thumbsup.gif

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

It's tailed right off now I'm gonna get some nighter sleep in for tomorrow. To be fair to all of these TV rarely catches a quarter of how good a group or act is. They're usually too late.

Whoops Freddy King the dogs bollox

Say hello to Mick! laugh.gif

Social source share

My fave Brit blues acts were Savoy Brown, Ten Years After, Chicken Shack, Cream and I liked some prog ones like Colloseum, King Crimson, Fairport Convention, Tull and of course lots of American ones especially the ultimate: LOVE!

Here you go a bit of Savoy Brown Ady.

SAVOY BROWN - SHAKE 'EM ON DOWN - PARROT -

pictures_4_059.jpg

Social source share

That Maggie Bell should have done Frankie & Johnny I'll Hold You or is that a myth?

Frankie & Johnny were Maggie Bell and Bobby Kerr. . Johnny Harris ( who was Tom Jones's Musical Director ) who did the arrangement for the recording of " IHY " ( Maggie Bell co - wrote " IHY " ) , gave them the name " Frankie and Johnny " .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Frankie & Johnny were Maggie Bell and Bobby Kerr. . Johnny Harris ( who was Tom Jones's Musical Director ) who did the arrangement for the recording of " IHY " ( Maggie Bell co - wrote " IHY " ) , gave them the name " Frankie and Johnny " .

Malc Burton

Maggie Bell remembers recording "I'll hold you", Bobby Kerr co-wrote it-He was the brother of Simple Minds lead vocalist Jim Kerr-but died before Simple Minds found fame I think.

Northern soul at its most Northern-Scotland !!

Rob

Social source share

Son House for many was the Delta Blues personified, the guy that had to put up with a precocious whippersnapper by the name of Robert Johnson pestering him to teach him slide technique and songs. Unfortunately, by the time of his 'rediscovery' his playing was seriously 'whiskey challenged', there's a clip on Youtube of him heckling, of all people, Howling Wolf, apparently resenting the fact that a younger guy should 'lecture' a roomfull of older black men on the blues. His 20's & 30's contemporary Skip James on the other hand was as stunning in 1964 as he was on those old 78s. A mean character by all accounts, and pretty dismissive of the Folk Blues Revival. His Devil Got My Woman album, recorded around 1968, is about as stark and foreboding as anything ever put on record, an absolute master on the guitar and equally compelling on the piano with a unique percussive style.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

His 20's & 30's contemporary Skip James on the other hand was as stunning in 1964 as he was on those old 78s. A mean character by all accounts, and pretty dismissive of the Folk Blues Revival. His Devil Got My Woman album, recorded around 1968, is about as stark and foreboding as anything ever put on record, an absolute master on the guitar and equally compelling on the piano with a unique percussive style.

He was the original singer of 'Hard Time Killing Floor Blues' which is on the soundtrack for 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou' the Coen Brothers film

Brilliant

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert