Echoes - The Northern Soul Fans Weekly Fix

Thats interesting Neil, as I worked as a printer at Bedford County Press, at the time it was printed and I remember talking to you about the scene in the comp room as the paper was being put togeather, and it just shows how the memory goes with age as I would have sworn it was around 1975, but you must be right. That means I only had another year on the scene before getting married!! Enjoyed your book, all the best, Andy

Just twigged who you are , you worked in the same place as Chris Farr ???? I started going round about the time you , Paul Shirley , Frelick, Ray Smith etc were slowing down a bit (late 75 early 76 ) . I used to hang out with Steve Hodgets , Paul Langford , etc etc ............ Visited you with Tony Worot at your house a few years later :lol:

Martyn Smith

Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just twigged who you are , you worked in the same place as Chris Farr ???? I started going round about the time you , Paul Shirley , Frelick, Ray Smith etc were slowing down a bit (late 75 early 76 ) . I used to hang out with Steve Hodgets , Paul Langford , etc etc ............ Visited you with Tony Worot at your house a few years later :hatsoff2:

Martyn Smith

You got it Martyn, how are you? are you still on the soul scene? Paul sadly passed away, Ray lives down in Devon his older brother Dave died a while ago as well, Frelick is an international cauliflower smuggler!! and seen Paul for a long while although I think he has a butcher shop in Bedford. I go out for a shuffle around with me nurse now and again.

Andy

Social source share

You got it Martyn, how are you? are you still on the soul scene? Paul sadly passed away, Ray lives down in Devon his older brother Dave died a while ago as well, Frelick is an international cauliflower smuggler!! and seen Paul for a long while although I think he has a butcher shop in Bedford. I go out for a shuffle around with me nurse now and again.

Andy

I'm fine mate thanks . Still do the odd soul night just to keep my eye in so to speak & keep up with the gossip

Heard about Paul S from Tony Warot , sad . ........Yeah Paul L has a butchers shop up Putnoe , still see him for a good session once in a while - Perhaps he might want to knock out some of Frelick's cauliflowers :yes:

Didnt realise you printed Black Echoes in Bedford , though it does make sense now how Chris Farr used to be able to tell me what the latest pressings were before my copy arrived with the paper boy :lol:

:hatsoff2:

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Isn't it great when you meet people on here that you've not seen for 30 odd years innit??!! :yes:

On this occasion yes :lol: ...................On some other occasions :hatsoff2:

:lol:

Edited by martyn
Social source share

:hatsoff2: All this talk, has any body come across the Chris Savory write up on myself (Dave Kilworth from Letchworth) article was about records and WIGAN, PLEASE Have a look if you have the old papers:ph34r: DAVE

What year was it Dave ?

I have a load of BE up in the loft , so it may be in one of the issues I have .

Mac

Social source share

Guest LindseyC

Loved Black Echoes. I had issues from number 1 to when it finished as my dad owned a newsagents. In the 90's my mum and dad retired and moved all my Black Echoes into a box and stored in a shed as I never got round to taking them with me to my own house. Last year I went into the shed and found them. They had become a huge mouse nest! Was mortified I loved them.

I've often tried to find other old copies but to no avail. Great to see it again. Lindsey

Social source share

What year was it Dave ?

I have a load of BE up in the loft , so it may be in one of the issues I have .

Mac

:thumbup: HI WHAT YEAR I CANT REMEMBER I THINK 76, BUT I REMEMBER I USED TO GO TO BEDFORD WITH Mick Smith ON A THURSDAY NIGHT, THE EAGLE SOUL CLUB EVENT RUN BY "FRANCO" WITH DJs TONY WORRET HAMMY SO THEY WOULD NO THE YEAR? AS I SAY I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A COPY, I REMEMBER SELLING THAT NIGHT WITH PETE WID BUT THAT NO USE?TO MANY CAPS MATE FAR TO MANY.:lol: DAVE ?? OH YES!! KILWORTH

Social source share

:huh: HI WHAT YEAR I CANT REMEMBER I THINK 76, BUT I REMEMBER I USED TO GO TO BEDFORD WITH Mick Smith ON A THURSDAY NIGHT, THE EAGLE SOUL CLUB EVENT RUN BY "FRANCO" WITH DJs TONY WORRET HAMMY SO THEY WOULD NO THE YEAR? AS I SAY I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A COPY, I REMEMBER SELLING THAT NIGHT WITH PETE WID BUT THAT NO USE?TO MANY CAPS MATE FAR TO MANY.:lol: DAVE ?? OH YES!! KILWORTH

The Thursday nights in Bedford ran for years mate though . In 76 they were at The Addison Center , 77, 78, 79 The International Club , 80 The Horse & Groom , 80 -81 The Pilgrims ,82-83The Bedford Town FC Social Club as far as I can remember ..............A lot of B.Es in that time :ohmy:

Social source share

The Thursday nights in Bedford ran for years mate though . In 76 they were at The Addison Center , 77, 78, 79 The International Club , 80 The Horse & Groom , 80 -81 The Pilgrims ,82-83The Bedford Town FC Social Club as far as I can remember ..............A lot of B.Es in that time :rolleyes:

:yes: Hi MARTYN Yep loads, but it changed to Echoes before the 8ts, thats wiped the smug grin of your face! no to be serious, I use to go to the Addison Center, and to the Kempston Rovers FC (great little venue) so it was around that time 76/7, it sounds soft the fact I want it, but it's my memorabilia I will give a free single to the 1st person who can get me a decent photo copy, lets see any one of these????:thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

:thumbup: Hi MARTYN Yep loads, but it changed to Echoes before the 8ts, thats wiped the smug grin of your face! no to be serious, I use to go to the Addison Center, and to the Kempston Rovers FC (great little venue) so it was around that time 76/7, it sounds soft the fact I want it, but it's my memorabilia I will give a free single to the 1st person who can get me a decent photo copy, lets see any one of these????:yes: DAVE

:thumbsup:

forgot about The Rovers

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest REVILOT
On 12/08/2010 at 16:19, Mick Howard said:

I've collected some 'stuff' over the years not least a few extracts from Echoes which I think, more than Blues & Soul, was a must for all Northern fans from the mid 70's onwards.

I still have copies of a couple of letters that I sent in that I am far too embarrassed to include here but some of the articles are worth reading again.

Here's a start from Stuart Cosgrove who is now a football pundit on Scottish BBC...

Anyone else got any interesting articles like this?

Mick

HI Mick

Do you / or anyone else have any with my "Check em Out" articles ?

Can't remember what records I reviewedlaugh.gif

Social source share

Thats interesting Neil, as I worked as a printer at Bedford County Press, at the time it was printed and I remember talking to you about the scene in the comp room as the paper was being put togeather, and it just shows how the memory goes with age as I would have sworn it was around 1975, but you must be right. That means I only had another year on the scene before getting married!! Enjoyed your book, all the best, Andy

Is it possible for anyone to have every B/E issue,the reason i ask is because i still have a large amount but i seem to remember on a few occasions the news agent telling me they were on strike this week,what part of the process he ment i dont know ie printers,journalists?

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest manusf3a

The Thursday nights in Bedford ran for years mate though . In 76 they were at The Addison Center , 77, 78, 79 The International Club , 80 The Horse & Groom , 80 -81 The Pilgrims ,82-83The Bedford Town FC Social Club as far as I can remember ..............A lot of B.Es in that time :hatsoff2:

Glad I have read this ,I have memories of going to a soul night in Bedford a few times back in the mid seventies but have nevr been able to remember exactly where except it was in a club in the town.I can remember going there with Wilky from Corby and we would get the train meeting on the way Mick Gavin r.i.p,Glen stewart ,Steve E,from Wellingborough bunking the train as we were doing,Rug bowers from Rushden used to come with us ,If my memorys correct( and I am quite vauge on this one)Rug did a couple of dj ing spots there and possibly Wilky the same.As stated only went there a few times but it was ok as a soul night music wise. Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

I use to get Black Echoes every week and just read the last page for the northern bit. It was tough in them days if a nighter had been cancelled and it was too late to let people know as some of my mates found out when they went to Clifton Hall in Rotherham.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Manus, would have been the International Club in Kempston if it was a proper club, yes Rug did do a couple of spots there I think. Its still there but called Daley's on Bedford Rd Kempston :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Manus, would have been the International Club in Kempston if it was a proper club, yes Rug did do a couple of spots there I think. Its still there but called Daley's on Bedford Rd Kempston :hatsoff2:

You know the memory of this was going through my mind I sometimes thought it must have been an imaginary construct as I could not remember the name or anything yet I am usually good on that sort of thing,I was really good mates with Mick Gavin r.i.p a brilliant lad what the scene was all about and when I used to think about different things we got up to the connection was bunking the train to Bedford on a thurday night and me and Wilky,Rug etc meeting him ,Glen and co doing the same and getting on at wellingborough.(Bunking trains was the least of things invoving Gav ,Wilky,Rug and co .Like you said it was a proper club and I seem to remember Ronnie Edwards from hunts and some of the cambridge crowd,maggot ,liz turning up there.I think its a real pity Wilky didnt really do as much of he could of dj ing as he as you would know always had really good records plus he was one hundred per cent into the scene and everything about we had plenty of sessions round his mums house though where all the top sounds of his would get regular spins, but there you go.It really got to mre about hearing Rug had died as I only learned of it fairly recently.lBack on tack that club imo was a smarter place than the north park werent it? Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest martyn

Yeah it used to draw in people from Hunts, Cambridge, St Neots & Letchworth as well as your crowd, I can't remember why it moved there from The Addison Centre (which had quite a big dance floor) in late 76 early 77. I remember all the people you mention though I was never really good mates with any of them - just nodding terms ( I'm a couple of years younger & only started going late 75)....Don't know about smarter than North Park, I only went to North Park a couple of times so can't really remember the layout there.....Was the bar in fitted around the corner to your right as you walked in the door or am I thinking of somewhere else ?

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

You are right about where you said the bar was at the North Park ,it wasnt as smart as bedford as it was a working mens club but it had a long history of playing what came to be called northern from the late sixties on every thursday night.I used to go there for years starting from when I was I 13 14 before I got swagged away for being a bad boy,used to hitch hike from Corby to Kettering and get up to skullduggery at 13 with a bloke called Keith Harpur and another lad George Mckimmier.i.p.Thing is in those early years70, 71,72 I used to get in no bother but they always got asked to prove their age and both are a good four years older than me!.They also used to play quite a few sounds on a saturday night if there was a local all nighter st Ives etc but I got banned for quite a bit of that period so used to sit in the pub across the road and Wilky and Rug etc would take turns and come and sit with me or doss outsoide till it shut or till we went to the nighter.Used to get quite packed at times heard its been demolished now and theres a block of flats or something there now.One of the places Glen Bellemy would dj a lot through the years.didmnt really mix with many of the kettering crowd just a nooding sort of thing but that down to a long standing "Corby Kettering",thing,though there were some good guys from there Glen, Marco,Ivan(though we have had our diaagreements Ivan was one of your true night paople serious full time bloocker and knew the music.)Atb manus

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert