Northern Soul In The Guardian

Davemac3

• Replies 58
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've managed to get some stuff back in the right place now, and found the tape. Trouble is, all it says on the cover is 'Radio 1 Insight into Northern Soul - Broadcast 28/9/1975', so I'll have to connect a cassette player up to find out more :lol:

When you get around to hearing it Dave , please do not tell us that the narrator was Jimmy Young :no:

Malc

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

When you get around to hearing it Dave , please do not tell us that the narrator was Jimmy Young :lol:

Malc

They say the neon lights are bright, on Fulham Broadway.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Adrian,

you did save it,

as i recall there were an average 120 wigan Saturday night attendances during the last year or so, dancing, or pyramid building to maybe the best rare soul sides of any era, the 120 would have been hard pushed to rescue what was fast dying scene, as in house musical tastes and beliefs had splintered the splinter'ed

without that London injection from the likes of geezers like yourself, randy, ian clarke, dave greet, pete w , mick s, hipkiss, etc we'd all be doing something completely different tonight

so Ady claim it and LOL, others too should be proud to have "stuck" through those hard years, you know who you are.

Where were you?

And although Randy and I put on a great night and kick started the London Northern scene, we didn't exactly save the Northern scene double handedly: though my ego is tempted to claim it LOL

Social source share

Last June, the 62-year-old American singer Nolan Porter flew into Britain to perform sell-out shows in Warwick and Oldham. Fans who revere Porter's two massive northern soul anthems,

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbKCWBTgTR8, afforded the singer a rapturous welcome. Backed by Birmingham soul outfit the Stone Foundation, Porter was so taken aback by the response, he vowed to return to Britain as quickly as possible.

Nolan also performed live at Nuneaton allnighter and Longacers Bilston .. this was also a great success at both Venues . as I was the one who arranged all Nolan's Venues to perform at .. its always nice to see reviews in any uk papers something we don't see often . Nuneaton allnighter was the most packed venue of the his live uk show night ,

Today, the soul spirit remains. "People see our band and ask, why have you not had more success?" says Neil Sheasby of the Stone Foundation. "But I tell them I've just made an album which Nolan Porter sings two songs on. That to me is success beyond belief."

But Stone Foundation will never be Northern soul ... They got some great live performances and a group I've used before in backing and supporting Artist's live ... today the new stuff recording is not Northern soul .

I Think of the case they interview the wrong person about the reviews of the scene today ...

Social source share

Last June, the 62-year-old American singer Nolan Porter flew into Britain to perform sell-out shows in Warwick and Oldham. Fans who revere Porter's two massive northern soul anthems,

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbKCWBTgTR8, afforded the singer a rapturous welcome. Backed by Birmingham soul outfit the Stone Foundation, Porter was so taken aback by the response, he vowed to return to Britain as quickly as possible.

Nolan also performed live at Nuneaton allnighter and Longacers Bilston .. this was also a great success at both Venues . as I was the one who arranged all Nolan's Venues to perform at .. its always nice to see reviews in any uk papers something we don't see often . Nuneaton allnighter was the most packed venue of the his live uk show night ,

Today, the soul spirit remains. "People see our band and ask, why have you not had more success?" says Neil Sheasby of the Stone Foundation. "But I tell them I've just made an album which Nolan Porter sings two songs on. That to me is success beyond belief."

But Stone Foundation will never be Northern soul ... They got some great live performances and a group I've used before in backing and supporting Artist's live ... today the new stuff recording is not Northern soul .

Nice one Chalky, Keep up the good work bringing these artistes to the UK! Hope to see you soon ! Best Wishes John.

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Guest BigPaul

You'd have thought The Guardian, cornerstone of the British press and Fleet St, wouldn't have

allowed an article with so many factual errors and false information, more akin to The Sun,

Daily Star and Daily Sport (is that still going) to slip the net.

Dont know what this bloody countries coming to, reallywink.gif

Didnt Wigan start on 23rd Sept 1973?

Anyrode, im off to source a copy of the Sportwicked.gif

Social source share

https://www.guardian....ul-soulboy-film

" By 1976, the regulars had moved on while a new generation - Bryan Ferry and David Bowie among them - turned their attention to the jazz-funk scene developing on Canvey Island."

Obviously being a Southerner, busy writing about the Jam for the NME, Paolo missed the Jazz Funk Scene at Rafters in Manchester and the Birmingham scene.

"For three years (1976-1979 according to Paolo, as the first 6Ts was Aug 1979), northern soul lay fallow until two diehards, Randy Cozens and Ady Croasdell started a northern night in London's Covent Garden called 6T's. "

Thank the Lord for the Southerners saving the scene!! My where would we have been without them.

Strange though, as I seem to recall Wigan going until 1981, Yate being very much alive and kicking not to mention the wonderful Cleethorpes pier allnighters, then there was Stafford once Wigan shut, and oh so many more.

Oh the re-writing of history. Paolo you really do need to investigate a little further north than Finchley.

"By now, mod fashions had been replaced by brogue shoes, flares,"

OK which one of you had slipped on some flares instead of bags, own up, " or is this another example of Paolo not quite getting his facts straight!

Paulo Hewitt is a fckn idiot always has been. He was a nobody that only reports other people's stories, he's never lived it.

Social source share

And although Randy and I put on a great night and kick started the London Northern scene, we didn't exactly save the Northern scene double handedly: though my ego is tempted to claim it LOL

Well you managed to ruin the rest of my life Ady. Introducing me to dodgy clubs, decent music and an absolute plethora of wierdo's yes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert