Record Collector (October 2004)

steve

While looking through an old issue of Record Collector I came across an article on a Third 'Frank Wilson' Do I love you, being discovered by some Hip Hop collectors in Chicago, it goes on to say that Richard Searling revealed this on his 'Smooth FM show ' and goes on to say that it was sold at an on-line auction for around $33,000 (£19,000), well I was wondering if this is fact or just plain fiction

I would post it up but not sure about copy right control with 'Record Collector'

Does anyone know for sure?????

Steve

Edited by steve
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

While looking through an old issue of Record Collector I came across an article on a Third 'Frank Wilson' Do I love you, being discovered by some Hip Hop collectors in Chicago, it goes on to say that Richard Searling revealed this on his 'Smooth FM show ' and goes on to say that it was sold at an on-line auction for around $33,000 (£19,000), well I was wondering if this is fact or just plain fiction

I would post it up but sure about copy right control with 'Record Collector'

Steve

Also remember a feature where a few had been seen at a garage sale a number of years ago.

Not sure of source though.

Social source share

Also remember a feature where a few had been seen at a garage sale a number of years ago.

Not sure of source though.

HI Roger, What I was wondering is, Is there more copies out there then we know about? I did hear at one point that Mark Larma had a real beat up copy, but only hear say

Social source share

I would post it up but sure about copy right control with 'Record Collector'

Steve

i remember this, Berry Gordy susposedly the buyer. I thought it tunred out to be a hoax

Edited by Dave Abbott
Social source share

As Dave already said, the Hip Hop collectors story was a hoax. Somebody once said there was/is a US record shop owner who has a mock FW copy nailed to the wall/ceiling to 'confuse' his customers and that's where the story came from.

Berry Gordy owning a copy seems to be a unconfirmed rumour. Allegedly he has an archive of every Motown record ever released/pressed.

Social source share

As Dave already said, the Hip Hop collectors story was a hoax. Somebody once said there was/is a US record shop owner who has a mock FW copy nailed to the wall/ceiling to 'confuse' his customers and that's where the story came from.

Berry Gordy owning a copy seems to be a unconfirmed rumour. Allegedly he has an archive of every Motown record ever released/pressed.

The story goes that the copy that came over via ss was motowns own copy!! :D:rolleyes:

Social source share

What about the rumour that the British copy could not be made because of no original master at hand.

Therefore it was pressed up from the Eddie Foster "IN" Bootleg, any info on that????

H

They used the Eddie Foster as a reference copy in an attempt to get the tape mixed as per the original Soul demo. Im sure this must be in the soul source archive.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert