Chapter 5/john St John (Sorry Webby)

Sheldonsoul

just browsing e bay when i came across this white italian copy pictured at the bottom and heres a few i know of i know pete smith had one of the foreign or possibly two of them ,never seen the one on e bay before are there any other labels it came out onpost-16724-063035200 1285621505_thumb.jppost-16724-069913000 1285621545_thumb.jppost-16724-028710500 1285621563_thumb.jppost-16724-015896800 1285621580_thumb.jp

post-16724-005108300 1285621842_thumb.jp

Edited by sheldonsoul
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

not quite sure pete all i know its another release of ycmi, did you watch the match sunday, still the kings of the midlands aint we.mind you the baggies done well

Are you sure it's another Chapter 5 - have you got a link to wherever it came from?

p.s.

Couldn't really fail with that ref could you, the cross for Heskey came from a bloke who would have been sent off had he played for us, and your substitute broke our guys leg in the last minute and got off scot free, Villa deserved nothing from that game....dirty dirty Villa.

Social source share

Are you sure it's another Chapter 5 - have you got a link to wherever it came from?

p.s.

Couldn't really fail with that ref could you, the cross for Heskey came from a bloke who would have been sent off had he played for us, and your substitute broke our guys leg in the last minute and got off scot free, Villa deserved nothing from that game....dirty dirty Villa.

I recall a discussion about the GTA Jukebox EP many moons ago but I don't remember any details. But I do remember that at least YCMI was on that EP and very likely credited to John St John. Origin was Italy.

Edited by Benji
Social source share

I recall a discussion about the GTA Jukebox EP many moons ago but I don't remember any details. But I do remember that at least YCMI was on that EP and very likely credited to John St John. Origin was Italy.

Guess they must have used other artists as well then as C5 only recorded 3 tracks (4 if you count the B side of One In A Million but that's not actually them)

Social source share

Guess they must have used other artists as well then as C5 only recorded 3 tracks (4 if you count the B side of One In A Million but that's not actually them)

I'm sure they used other artists as well, just trying to think about where I had seen a scan of the EP before, it sure wasn't on Soul Source....

Social source share

You've beaten me by a minute!

Here's a scan of the picture cover for the italian EP, lifted from Chapter 5 page (see link)

PS: Text lifted from Chapter 5 page:

Below yet another Italian release of "You Can't Mean It" comes to light, circa 1967, on an EP with an other artist (Bobby Solo)under the name "John St John" rather than Chapter Five!!!

Very strange, but good photo of John Ritson

post-1670-076357300 1285666278_thumb.jpg

post-1670-076357300 1285666278_thumb.jpg

Edited by Benji
Social source share

Because Rudy Clark wrote the Maxine Brown cover on the A side but they mixed the two up.

Rudy Clark wrote a few tunes during his time. Here's the extract from Wikipedia:

Rudy Clark (born Rudolph Clark, 1935) is an American songwriter about whom little biographical information seems to be known. Supposedly a former mail carrier hailing from New York City, he was most active from the early 1960s through the early 1970s. He wrote songs for James Ray (and indeed may have discovered the singer), including Ray's moody 1962 R&B hit and regional pop hit "If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody", as well as the obscure "Got My Mind Set On You", which later became a surprise number one comeback hit for George Harrison in 1987. Clark was a close friend of Bobby Darin, who owned TM Music/Trio, the music company that employed Clark. Clark and Darin collaborated on several hits including "Do the Monkey."

Clark then wrote the Top Ten soul classic "The Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss)", recorded by Betty Everett in 1964, which would be frequently revisited by other artists (most notably in the version that became a worldwide hit for Cher in 1991) in subsequent years. Clark co-wrote "Good Lovin'", recorded by The Olympics in 1965 and then remade as a #1 hit by The Young Rascals the following year. Other Clark compositions include "Everybody's Got to Make a Fool Out of Somebody", recorded by Barbara Mason, and "Fool, Fool, Fool", recorded in 1964 by Little Joey & the Flips and then covered by Roosevelt Grier, the A-Cads, and Ray Brown & The Whispers, with the last two representations reaching #1 in South Africa and Australia respectively.

Clark was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best R&B Song for his lead contribution in writing the 1972 Top Five hit "Everybody Plays the Fool" by The Main Ingredient. Beyond pop hits, Clark wrote several songs for the early 1970s Harlem Globetrotters cartoon series.

Besides being heard on oldies radio, Clark's material has also found its way to the Broadway theatre, making reference to Andr DeShields' Haarlem Nocturne (1984) and Marion J. Caffey's Street Corner Symphony (1997).

On top of that he also wrote I Found My Place by the Johnson Sisters which is a great slice of Rn'B.

Mick

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert