Pages - Heartaches & Pain

Morning All

I seem to remember there was a bit of a debate a while ago as which label colour was kosher and which wasn't - yellow and orange I think(?)

However, what I don't remember is which was which - which makes it difficult to decide whether to have a punt on this or not...

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Any info gratefully received

Cheers

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Scans are never great for judging colours, but it looks like the real one to me.

The boot was a much lighter yellow. The original is a more sandy kind of yellow.

The only thing that worries me about the scan is the smudges on the label. If they are just thru a little misuse than ok, but some boots were badly done and according to JM's boot guide had smudges.

It also looks like there are 2 quite large scuffs at the edge of the run out groove (about 11 o'clock).

Social source share

Thanks Mikey - yeah its the smudges that made me think twice and being colour blind I couldn't be certain about the label, which didn't help

Think I'll sleep on it ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Thanks Mikey - yeah its the smudges that made me think twice and being colour blind I couldn't be certain about the label, which didn't help

Think I'll sleep on it  ranting_1.gif

link

True, there are differences in the colour on the boot/original. Generally the original is more of an deeper yellow. But the simplest way to tell is by looking at the run out groove. If the Superdisc etching is in capital letters it's most likely a boot. If they're a mix of Capitals and lower case then it's most likely an original. The Superdisc etching on the boot is kind of scruffily scrawled in, too.

Social source share

True, there are differences in the colour on the boot/original. Generally the original is more of an deeper yellow. But the simplest way to tell is by looking at the run out groove. If the Superdisc etching is in capital letters it's most likely a boot. If they're a mix of Capitals and lower case then it's most likely an original. The Superdisc etching on the boot is kind of scruffily scrawled in, too.

link

Scan looks like the boot, but with colour variations from scanners cant be sure, the font on the boots is very slightly smudgy too, best way is with the SD etching.

I think the boots were not bad quality tho', if that helps.

Russ

Social source share

Morning All

I seem to remember there was a bit of a debate a while ago as which label colour was kosher and which wasn't - yellow and orange I think(?)

However, what I don't remember is which was which - which makes it difficult to decide whether to have a punt on this or not...

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Any info gratefully received

Cheers

link

Ask for a scan rather than a photo and you'll soon be able to tell.

Girf

Social source share

I thought the main dufference was vinyl/styrene - the boots being styrene and the origs on vinyl, or so I was told. Might have a go myself if it turns out to be pukka, wanted one for a while now :yes:

link

https://www.oslosoul.com/sounds_23.aspx

https://www.modernsoul.net/c11.jpg

Hope this works, the top copy is off the oslo soul website, the bottom copy is mine. Both originals but look at the labels?

Funny thing is you see more real copies than you see boots (if you can tell them apart).

Talk about walking through minefields.

Think if it was me i'd just buy it, great record...

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Dunno about the vinyl/styrene thing, thought they were all styrene.

Boots definatly have a little 'bleed' of the red into the yellow. The one on ebay looks pukka.There was a guy in uk selling one on ebay the other week. asked him about serial numbers etc and the copy he had was different from JM's guide in that originals read 196 superdisc TBS-1001-A

and his copy read TBS-1001-A 196 SUPERDISC so presumed it was a boot. Furthermore his had superdisc in caps on one side, and lowercase on the other. Hope this helps!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Mine is the same as this and have no idea if it is original or not. Such a great record for under a fiver, always assumed it was a boot anyway, but have to admit I am intrigued.

Edited by noss
Social source share

Dunno about the vinyl/styrene thing, thought they were all styrene.

I thought they were all vinyl. :thumbsup: I never bothered to take a close look at one but I always presumed boots and originals alike were vinyl.

Social source share

Cheers everyone - nice surprise to come back from a weekend away and find my ebay bidding decisions made for me!

Think I will have a go - after all if it does turn out to be a boot it wouldn't be the first time I've been stung and I shouldn't think it'll be the last. That's what makes this collecting lark fun (isn't it? :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

To conclude then, how do boots and originals differ? I am still unclear.

link

The boot is yellow. But not the same yellow as the original.

The boot is on either styrene or vinyl, but the original is on either vinyl or styrene.

The original has the item number in capitals, except those that are in lower case. The other side of the original is in either capitals or lower case too.

Hope thats cleared it all up for you Noss :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Thanks. Mine is genuine then ( I think). Thought this was alway cheap until a few years ago anyway?

link

I was amazed too.

It was ten a penny before the boots were made anyway.

I got it in a trade where at the time I got by far the worst of a deal. Now though its looking like I'm smelling of roses

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert