Jump to content
  • Sign Up
boba's profile photo

Fania 45 Discography?

Look At Your Box boba

 
Posted

obviously it would be huge (with lots of stuff that isn't soul) but anybody ever attempt this? I would love to see one. Thanks.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

awesome thanks so much. i added a number in the comments...

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Bob

that list hasn't been updated for a while despite me giving him a big list of additions.

I've got a more complete list PM me your email and I will send it to you.

Dean

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

awesome thanks so much, I appreciate it

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I've been working for a long time on a Fania 45s discography if anyone is interested in contributing please reply here or PM me! Much respect, Morgan

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

There is a large  (3000 +) listing of Fania's releases (45's, albums , casettes) on discogs. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Yes many releases missing from Discogs unfortunately! I hope to contribute many to help alleviate this eventually as well.

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 15/06/2019 at 17:42, Morgan Nixon said:

I've been working for a long time on a Fania 45s discography if anyone is interested in contributing please reply here or PM me! Much respect, Morgan

Look forward to that Morgan hope you have listed some of the lesser known cuts that make this such a tremendous logo to collect,would love to see the complete listing when done,also Uptight records also if you are working on that ?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Hi Morgan, when I was working for Fania, I compiled a pretty comprehensive 45 discography.

There are a few gaps pre-66, but I feel they might be due to their peculiar early numbering system.

 

I think Uptite ran to 24 records and they are all listed on discogs.

It's worth noting that #1 in that numbering series appeared on a Fania label.

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dean Rudland said:

Hi Morgan, when I was working for Fania, I compiled a pretty comprehensive 45 discography.

There are a few gaps pre-66, but I feel they might be due to their peculiar early numbering system.

 

I think Uptite ran to 24 records and they are all listed on discogs.

It's worth noting that #1 in that numbering series appeared on a Fania label.

 

You the person to ask

Is it likely that there were cuts with reserve numbers that never made it to press as with other labels ?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

You the person to ask

Is it likely that there were cuts with reserve numbers that never made it to press as with other labels ?

For Uptite I don't think so.

It was pretty specifically designed as an outlet to get Fania's more soul recordings onto R&B radio, which ignored Fania as a latin label.

 

Most of the titles appeared on Fania albums at the same time.

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Dean Rudland said:

For Uptite I don't think so.

It was pretty specifically designed as an outlet to get Fania's more soul recordings onto R&B radio, which ignored Fania as a latin label.

 

Most of the titles appeared on Fania albums at the same time.

 

Sorry I am not explaining myself properly today, I meant the Fania label

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I've just looked through my list and Morgan's and I think very few if any.

There were unreleased tracks, but none of them seem to have been scheduled as singles.

There was also a surprisingly low number of unreleased tracks considering the overall size of the catalogue.

I think this was because the label recorded album projects, and just recorded enough tracks for a release.

I suppose the most famous unreleased project was Joe Bataan's final album that resulted in the mono / promo single of Latin Soul Square Dance. I had a TP of a double sided single, with 'Call Me' on the other side, but it was thought until recently there was no stock copy. But even with that one has now turned up.

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 22/06/2019 at 10:04, Dean Rudland said:

I've just looked through my list and Morgan's and I think very few if any.

There were unreleased tracks, but none of them seem to have been scheduled as singles.

There was also a surprisingly low number of unreleased tracks considering the overall size of the catalogue.

I think this was because the label recorded album projects, and just recorded enough tracks for a release.

I suppose the most famous unreleased project was Joe Bataan's final album that resulted in the mono / promo single of Latin Soul Square Dance. I had a TP of a double sided single, with 'Call Me' on the other side, but it was thought until recently there was no stock copy. But even with that one has now turned up.

 

Thanks Dean

I believe (not 100% sure) that the "Charles" label and "Genuine Records Inc." were possibly connected to Unity, is this true please ?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Without reading the thread

Dean R sent me this years ago, I found it helpful.

Gaz 

fania.txt

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.