When Is An Oldie An Oldie?

Simsy

I think of oldies like seven days too long, snake, out on the floor etc. These are oldies. But what about good records that have perhaps fallen from grace, or are no longer in vogue etc? Cleveland Robinson - Love is a trap, Trickbag by the Excuses and Charles Sheffield - It's your voodoo working, for example.

I understand that records can't be played to death and everything has kind of a shelf life, but surely this doesn't mean they shouldn't be played anymore does it? I'm all for upfront new discoveries and keeping it fresh etc, but when was the last time anyone heard Cleveland Robinson out? There are loads of biggies from recent years that just don't get plays anymore. Why?

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think of oldies like seven days too long, snake, out on the floor etc. These are oldies. But what about good records that have perhaps fallen from grace, or are no longer in vogue etc? Cleveland Robinson - Love is a trap, Trickbag by the Excuses and Charles Sheffield - It's your voodoo working, for example.

Wouldn't say Charles sheffiield is no longer in vogue, whenever i've been struggeling, its one to get them on the floor :thumbsup:

Social source share

Wouldn't say Charles sheffiield is no longer in vogue, whenever i've been struggeling, its one to get them on the floor :thumbsup:

funnilly enough - I was taking some records out of my box last week and took this out, then put it back in. And was asked to play it Saturday night.. well, ok its not that funny.

Social source share

Don't hear it so much these days. Is it an R&B thing?

Been played to death really, still quite an enjoyable record though, but its what the dancers like so its one to keep for 'backup'

Social source share

Some one once said that, Newies are oldies you havent heard yet, So Oldies must be, newies that you have heard, as such a newie can be an oldie, or an oldie can be a newie it all depends on if you have heard it before or not . Now that all sounds a load of Bollox really ,but if you think about it and just listen to the music you find yourself listerning and finding the sounds you like and dont get your self bogged down with the year a record was made, which is where I find myself at this point in time , and seem to be enjoying my music again , Be it R&B, Overplayed oldies, New to me Oldies, 70s/crossover stuff. All a bit deep for a tuseday evening but Thats how I look at it for what its worth. :ohmy::ohmy::thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert