C L Blast

Simon M

• Replies 19
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

1) "Love Don't Feel Like Love No More" on Juana.

2) He is still around. John RIdley interviewed him about 2 years ago. He's getting up there in years, though, and he hadn't been terribly well when John spoke with him. I get the impression that his singing days are over, from the way John wrote...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Actually he's much older than that, Bri - he made his first record in 1953, on 78 only as far as I'm aware!

His real name, Clarence Lewis, appears as a co-writer on numerous R & B classics that came out in the late 50s and early 60s e.g. Buster Brown's 'Fannie Mae', Lee Dorsey's 'Ya Ya' and Lightnin' Hopkins' 'Mojo Hand'. Now while he was a good songwriter I don't personally believe that he wrote any of those, so I wonder what kind of deal he struck with Bobby Robinson (on whose Fire/Fury labels they all originally appeared) to be rowed in for a piece of those and other songs of Fire/Fury, like Elmore James' 'The Sky Is Crying' and 'Done Somebody Wrong'...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Never forgiven Ady for putting 'The man who had everything' on Big city soul album all those years ago, blew me away as a 17 year old and still does.

'What can I do'', 'Love don't feel like love' and 'Fools love'..............wonderful.

Ps Does anybody know how much the Clintone 45 is? I love it and want it.

ATB

Jim. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

he must be in his late 60 t's early 70 t's by now, as he first recorded under his real name of junior lewis in the early 60 t's.

He was born in 1934 and his first record "Your Heart Must Be Made Of Stone (Red Robin 136) was issued in 1955.

cl_1.jpg

Edited by Philippe
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

He was born in 1934 and his first record "Your Heart Must Be Made Of Stone (Red Robin 136) was issued in 1955.

cl_1.jpg

This is the record to which I was referring, only you got the date right and I didn't!

I can add that it came out in August 1955 if you want to be even more precise...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, I read it in the article by John Ridley in ITB. John also mentionned and reviewed that elusive South African LP.

cl-blast-cover-voor-gecomprimeerd.jpg

cl-blast-label-kant-a-gecomprimeerd.jpg

I have that album myself - it's a bit of a mixed bag, but some of it is very good indeed.

Found my copy years ago in the reggae section at Record and Tape Exchange in Goldhawk Road, on one of my occasional visits there. It had obviously been in stock for a while, and had worked its way down to 30 pence from a starting price of eight quid. Clearly no reggae fans were interested, and no soul fan would have bothered looking there for it.

As the cover was stil EX++ and the record inside was stone mint, I had a bit of a result, if you ask me!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert