Any Cheesy Disco Experts?

Godzilla

A guy I work with asked if anyone could ID this tune. He says it's probably recorded from a 45, possibly a b side and it's on a disco compilation tape that someone did for him the late 70s or early 80s. My whole workplace has been set the task of solving this, and I perhaps foolishly, said "the chaps and chappesses on the forums I use will suss this easily" so I guess in a way all our reps are at stake :D

It's not the sort of thing that we usually discuss here and I'm aware that this thread is no doubt destined for freebasing eventually, but if it could stay her over the weekend so that it's easy to spot I'd be grateful.

I'm also sure that there will be some comments as to the (ahem) quality of the record, but if they could be balanced with some constructive suggestions that would be great.

Cheers!

DivShare File - Mystery Disco.wav

Final Warning! It is really dodgy...

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Would try to help out but don't want to down load it. Maybe try you tube??

Damn. My first attempt at Divshare too.

Don't know how to make youtube clips and obviously I can't search for it as I don't know what it's called. Ah well - it was worth a shot.

Ta for letting me know :thumbsup:

Social source share

Nothing shows up on You tube with that title. My hubby has an app on his i phone that recognises and names tune and artist being played. So will hopefully come up trumps in the next 24 hours. (Do like a bit of disco lol)

I unsuccessfuly Shazam'ed it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well it's solved now - no thanks to you lot :lol:

Interestingly though, there is actually a Northern Soul connection. The record is "Let's Get Down To Doin' It Tonight" flipside of "Burnin'" by Carol Douglas on Midsong International.

Carol Douglas was Sam Cooke's niece and recorded a 45 for RCA: "I Don't Mind (Being Your Fool)" under the name Carolyn Cooke, which may be tune that's familiar to some.

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHP7lk6qxnU

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Well eff me!

I couldn't download it , but the first thing that came into my head without listening was Carol Douglas. Wasn't this record though, it was 'Doctor's Orders', which is my favourite cheesy disco record of all time. I spent months trying to find out what it was, then found it and the Cooke link.

NB by 'months trying', I mean weeks half-heartedly browsing YouTube and I didn't think to actually ASK anybody, besides my disco-loving other half.

SWOD!

Social source share

Well eff me!

I couldn't download it , but the first thing that came into my head without listening was Carol Douglas. Wasn't this record though, it was 'Doctor's Orders', which is my favourite cheesy disco record of all time. I spent months trying to find out what it was, then found it and the Cooke link.

NB by 'months trying', I mean weeks half-heartedly browsing YouTube and I didn't think to actually ASK anybody, besides my disco-loving other half.

SWOD!

She also did a version of Hot Chocolate's You Win Again on Midsong International which wasn't bad!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert