Cracked Record

soulsalmon

I know everyone has a preffered method,but what is the way for a permanent repair,the rec in question,bought knowing it was cracked after listening to a sound file,at the moment it only has tape on the flip,plays with a click on the run in,the music takes over,played it out last month,nobody noticed.,

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi,

Just thought I would remind anyone who is thinking of using Super Glue on their records,

not to use the cheap stuff, make sure you buy "Odorless" Cyano / Super Glue.

The odorless part isn't to do with the smell, it's to stop the gas making the vinyl / styrene

go milky white and ruining the playing surface.

Get a bottle for a couple of quid from a model shop

Cheers all, Heath.

Social source share

Hi,

Just thought I would remind anyone who is thinking of using Super Glue on their records,

The odorless part isn't to do with the smell, it's to stop the gas making the vinyl / styrene

Cheers all, Heath.

Edited by soulfulmick
Social source share

Hi,

Cheers all, Heath.

That is very good advice :thumbsup: I run a model shop and have used this to repair a couple of cracked records myself. We also sell Cyno Activator which makes it go off even quicker.

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL AVOID SUPER GLUE it should never be used on RARE RECORDS the best way that i can recommend is:-

get the side that you don't play and tape the record with masking tape with the tip of your Little clean finger feel along the join for any steps or ridges, again with clean fingers and thumb press into place, next take it for a spin, place on turntable and cue the start, use headphones. depending on what type of fracture or break will determine next stage, if you here a loud click, put you glasses on.

if you here a faint click, then it's properly the best you can do, but you can do better by checking the click in the run out, if thats a bit louder, use art putty and press it in the middle of the laying side, check again the cue in and the run out, you Will be surprised that you wont here the click, but if you can use a cocktail stick and go foreword and back wards and success is almost guaranteed remove the putty put 2 grams on head (I don't mean the 2 grams for the next all nighter) and play the record, if you are satisfied, leave alone as you have improved the record with no damage :thumbup:

What's this I here you saying I already no that, weld the next stage is down to you and should only be done if you don't have the shakes or are buzzing after taking that 2 grams for the weekend, as whatever you do Will be permanent, and doit wrong you may be very sad :hypo:

Lets say the record you want to repair is Dena Barns sticking tape on one side, does not satisfy my needs as it has 2 excellent examples of great Detroit music, it's what I call a classic, start by saying HAIL MARY 3 X & 1 OUR FATHER:-

YOU WILL NEED AND EYE GLASS AND MODEL MAKERS SOLDERING IRON ART PUTTY AND NO SUPER GLUE.

Do as above but then tape the playing side, carefully remove the original tape if you did a good job and have not knocked the joint out of place you are in luck, repeat stage one cuing if satisfied use the putty and seal in place, now when you have double checked that every thing is still perfectly lined up, use the eye glass at Ali stages to check and the cocktail stick in the groove, you can feel the click through the stick when you are fully satisfied you Will be ready to spot weld the record, so before you start take a break CUPPA tea have a fag and check that you can use the iron by trying out how hot and for how long it takes on a Duff record, practice makes perfect.

ONCE YOU HAVE SATISFIED YOURSELF, PRACTICED TO PERFECTION, OFF YOU GO,

Start by spot in run out, if you do a quick smear weld it will look OK, turn over and repeat, a quick flick not a 10 second hole burn please? and now the cue in, check again all is in place, i weld the edge when doing this, but you get the same result by doing the flat side,

IF YOU HAVE FOLLOWED THE ABOVE YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOUR WORK, IF THE WELD HAS TAKEN YOU WILL HARDLY NO THAT IT'S THERE, IF YOU ARE SELLING THE RECORD, PLEASE INFORM BUYER OF REPAIR, AS IT IS THE DECENT THING TO DO, AND PLEASE DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT PRACTICE, WE NED ONE OF THOSE HOSPITAL WELDERS.

:hypocrite: DAVE K

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL AVOID SUPER GLUE it should never be used on RARE RECORDS the best way that i can recommend is:-

get the side that you don't play and tape the record with masking tape with the tip of your Little clean finger feel along the join for any steps or ridges, again with clean fingers and thumb press into place, next take it for a spin, place on turntable and cue the start, use headphones. depending on what type of fracture or break will determine next stage, if you here a loud click, put you glasses on.

if you here a faint click, then it's properly the best you can do, but you can do better by checking the click in the run out, if thats a bit louder, use art putty and press it in the middle of the laying side, check again the cue in and the run out, you Will be surprised that you wont here the click, but if you can use a cocktail stick and go foreword and back wards and success is almost guaranteed remove the putty put 2 grams on head (I don't mean the 2 grams for the next all nighter) and play the record, if you are satisfied, leave alone as you have improved the record with no damage :thumbup:

What's this I here you saying I already no that, weld the next stage is down to you and should only be done if you don't have the shakes or are buzzing after taking that 2 grams for the weekend, as whatever you do Will be permanent, and doit wrong you may be very sad :hypo:

Lets say the record you want to repair is Dena Barns sticking tape on one side, does not satisfy my needs as it has 2 excellent examples of great Detroit music, it's what I call a classic, start by saying HAIL MARY 3 X & 1 OUR FATHER:-

YOU WILL NEED AND EYE GLASS AND MODEL MAKERS SOLDERING IRON ART PUTTY AND NO SUPER GLUE.

Do as above but then tape the playing side, carefully remove the original tape if you did a good job and have not knocked the joint out of place you are in luck, repeat stage one cuing if satisfied use the putty and seal in place, now when you have double checked that every thing is still perfectly lined up, use the eye glass at Ali stages to check and the cocktail stick in the groove, you can feel the click through the stick when you are fully satisfied you Will be ready to spot weld the record, so before you start take a break CUPPA tea have a fag and check that you can use the iron by trying out how hot and for how long it takes on a Duff record, practice makes perfect.

ONCE YOU HAVE SATISFIED YOURSELF, PRACTICED TO PERFECTION, OFF YOU GO,

Start by spot in run out, if you do a quick smear weld it will look OK, turn over and repeat, a quick flick not a 10 second hole burn please? and now the cue in, check again all is in place, i weld the edge when doing this, but you get the same result by doing the flat side,

IF YOU HAVE FOLLOWED THE ABOVE YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOUR WORK, IF THE WELD HAS TAKEN YOU WILL HARDLY NO THAT IT'S THERE, IF YOU ARE SELLING THE RECORD, PLEASE INFORM BUYER OF REPAIR, AS IT IS THE DECENT THING TO DO, AND PLEASE DON'T DO THIS WITHOUT PRACTICE, WE NED ONE OF THOSE HOSPITAL WELDERS.

:hypocrite: DAVE K

Whats art putty Dave ?

Social source share

I know everyone has a preffered method,but what is the way for a permanent repair,the rec in question,bought knowing it was cracked after listening to a sound file,at the moment it only has tape on the flip,plays with a click on the run in,the music takes over,played it out last month,nobody noticed.,

OK ........... I get the surfaces back into exactly the right place, play the record just to make sure the click can't be heard.

I carefully pick the 45 off the platter, not disturbing the crack.

then with my soldering iron i will melt into and across the run in where the crack is, it seals the cracked area at the edge with its own vinyl.

on run in cracks i have - none of the cracks on my 45s have ever got bigger doing this - viny or styrene !!!

You are just melting the end of the crack together ..................................perfect !!!!

Edited by luiz arruda paez
Social source share

:g: HI Q1.."What's ART PUTTY? - Thats proberly my name for it, a proper art shop (the one the Art Students use) or a craft/Hobby shop will know, but to be basic there are 2 types Art 2 dimensional oil, water colour crayons, andevery thing else you can do on a flat surface some of the differant things that are used for a host of projects are made non permanant tape & putty come in differant ways for the purpos of not tocause harn or damage to other parts of the projed, they are like extra hands, so for example in water colors your prep work wouls be sketching refrancephoto once youhave donea rough out sketch you may have sketched a river at night a wet dark night, how do you paintthe glow from a street light, with the fine rain cought in it's glow? you soak and paint the bits you need making sure that on certain areas are masked of, so the paint does not penatrate that area, however the mask must be able to be removable, so selotape is out as it will cause to much damage, you dont no how it will behave so dont use it use the profesional eqpt, these products are well worth looking at, as well as picture restoreing as chemicals for cleaning are great, so throw your thinners away,

3d art is sculptures ceramics weaving and so on if you are into sculpture in any way you will need a product to hold something in place, blue tack was the 1st types of art putty used right it's magic a bit like when that Dutch kid put his finger in the local dyke, the thing is the town folk got angry when he told them he had to finger the dyke...

so thereare several newtypes of blue tack so you can use to pin the record, use blue tack if you want ??? does this bolocks make sence????

Weller make very good soldering irion that can be used for decoratind cloth leather abd weld ing2 differant materials like plast to wood clever stuff, if you want use your iron as that has many temp marks on it it's a bit big, but it has to work, my concern would be areoun the area of the iron giving out heat my wayou usr a area of 1/16 x radius x cherry pie, improvise practice, but agaib if you get a good jion with a bit of tape who cares and lets be honest if it bothers you buy a good copy, :rofl: DAVE the BLOCKHEAD

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!