inventing a brand new tradition of oldies

Guest Johnny One Trout

Maybe because Northern Soul is a progression in one direction from traditional RnB, whereas Funk is another progression in a different direction. They may have a similar starting point, black, 50s, american kids, but are quite different.

Its my belief that the tune plays a more integral part to a funk track, whereas a soul track relies more on the vocal. That is an obvious generalisation, and I know you could name many tracks to prove me wrong James. But I'm not a massive fan of RnB either.

In fact I'm not really a fan of anything I dont like. And what I do, tends to be welcome under my 'northern soul umbrella'.

Ahh but surely Northern Soul has as much in common with Funk/Soul records than it des with RnB both are closely related and at times parallel musical genres. In fact it would probably be fair to say that the funkier end had more in common than the RnB end when it comes to simliar artists that similarity continues into the modern era as well.

Mickey i think you really need to look a little closer at the records that fit the funk/soul bag man;o))

James you are Trouble BTW LOL ;o)))

Del Larks probably my all time favourite Northern Soul record but does it have more in common with funk records of the day?

I'll get my coat .............................................

John

Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Ahh but surely Northern Soul has as much in common with Funk/Soul records than it des with RnB both are closely related and at times parallel musical genres. In fact it would probably be fair to say that the funkier end had more in common than the RnB end when it comes to simliar artists that similarity continues into the modern era as well.

Mickey i think you really need to look a little closer at the records that fit the funk/soul bag man;o))

James you are Trouble BTW LOL ;o)))

Del Larks probably my all time favourite Northern Soul record but does it have more in common with funk records of the day?

I'll get my coat .............................................

John

In reality I try not to distinguish. If I like a record its NS, wether is 60s -00ies, RnB, Modern, old, new, rare, common, latin, stomper mid-tempo. When I first started going it made no difference which hole it was pigeoned. So I dont really see why I should change. If I like it and it fits however loosely, then to ME it NS.

Job Openening was used as it transcends 60s 70s IMHO. So it disproved the point it was trying to prove. Didnt think about the JB connection when it came to 'T.W.A.T. (wonder if JB was playing when he did that??) but it was nice and neat.

I give modern a bit of stick but some of my faves over the last few years defo have a modern feel to them, and probably started in modern rooms before crossing over. Ruby Andrews, Isotonics, and the 2nd track on the 2nd Valatone CD, memory failing me again. Lyrics 'I'm not over you yet, I just learn to live with it' Great tune.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Now we are talking business. Glad to have started it after all:-)

That Midlands band, The Maisonettes - they tried and succeeded. Like the Joboxers. The Jam. The Boo Radleys. Human League (Mirror man). Billy Bragg (Upfield). Topper Headon maybe. Vanessa Paradis definitely.

But they were all TOTP material. Anything I missed from the past 25 years?

For those who want to have a look at where this thread started I can advise

https://www.geocities.com/transkul/offtheground.htm

All of the above are watered down sanitised inferior versions or takes on the sound that we are talking about. Where you are going wrong Mr 9 is that you assume that Northern Soul is inherantly a soul scene, that is not necessarily the case. It is primarily a dance scene and over the years that has been the driving factor, the preference will always be for soulful dancers but that has never excluded pop or blue eyed soul that has the desired pre-requisites when it comes to dancefloor appeal.

The other massive point that you are misssing is that this is not a populist scene. If a record that is being played on the Northern Soul scene starts to gain national airplay due to a re-release you can garauntee that that record will be dropped from NS playlists like a hot potatoe!!!

Why? Because the Northern Soul scene has always strived to be different to play records that you won't hear down the local nightclub it's precisely that exclusivity that has managed to keep the scene fresh and maintain paoples interest over a 30 year period.

Otis Redding IMO the greatest Soul Singer ever but not an exponent of Northern Soul as long as i have a hole in my arse. James Brown Living legend and quite possibly the most influential artist ever including Elvis but again not Northern so why should it be played. Quite simply these artists were too succesful in their own right and have very few rare records that appeal to your Northern Soulie.

If some undiscovered rare stompers came to light by either of these artists so long as they remained rare and out of the mainstream pop sensibility then they would get played. Recently Otis's fantastic - Loving by the pound had extensive plays on the scene as a result of being issued on a Kent LP but if it had been released and subsequently charted it would have been dropped regardless of how good it was / is.

This behaviour may seem strange to you but i suggest that if it does that you still don't "GET" Northern Soul at all.

JoT

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I give modern a bit of stick but some of my faves over the last few years defo have a modern feel to them, and probably started in modern rooms before crossing over. Ruby Andrews, Isotonics, and the 2nd track on the 2nd Valatone CD, memory failing me again. Lyrics 'I'm not over you yet, I just learn to live with it' Great tune.

Not a bad CD that Mikey and i think you will find that a large percentile of the tracks Ady Liptons used were played as crossover records before (notice i didn't use modern i still can't get to grips with a record that is the best part of 40 years old being called modern!!!! so stop it and NOW)

With regards to T.W.A.T. I love both versions but as with most on here (I'd guess) Gene Chandlers is the best TWAT of all without a doubt even though JB's TWAT is great it is a pale immitation TWAT when compared to GC's

JoT

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Who coined the phase "It's whats in the groove that counts", if you think its good and deserves floor action, try it

I agree Shute but that only works in this context when as Mikey so succinctly put it it ticks most of the boxes. It doesn't neccessarily have to be rare but it does have to be obscure, the moment that obscurity is lost then a large part of it's appeal on this scene is lost IMVFHO that is. I'm not necessarily saying that is a good thing either but i will say that this attitude has kept the scene vibrant fresh and aloof from the mainstream and is why it is still alive and kicking and probably stronger and more diverse now than it has ever been before.

John

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Good thread! Lol. laugh.gif

Admit it Mikey, the "northern soul" scene plays funk records, and you like them as well. eg Del Larks, Eddie Parker, Gene Chandler, Ree Flores, Benny Harper etc etc

Mikey likes funk records,NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!! Mikey likes funk records, NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!! Mikey likes funk records,NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!! Mikey likes funk records. NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!! naughty.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Admit it Mikey, the "northern soul" scene plays funk records, and you like them as well. eg Del Larks, Eddie Parker, Gene Chandler, Ree Flores, Benny Harper etc etc

Mikey likes funk records,NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!!  Mikey likes funk records, NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!! Mikey likes funk records,NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!!  Mikey likes funk records. NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!! naughty.gif

You're just a big KIDULT James LOL ;o))) ;oP

JoT

Social source share

PAUL ANKA-I CAN'T HELP LOVING YOU-ONE OF THE BEST NORTHERN RECORDS-CERTAINLY PLAYED AT WIGAN. COVERED UP AS JOHNNY CASWELL ME THINKS.

WHAT A START. 'WHEN WE GET THERE' AINT BAD EITHER.

Couldn't agree more Mick. Perhaps what's Northern soul is an individual's thing,depending on what being played in what era? Though having written "My Way" the world most covered song, I shouldn't think Paul gives a flying **** about whether his single outings are in anybody's top 10 northern all time golden classic greats or not!

Still he might have spent the money on some nattier threads!!

Social source share

Hi, I just felt the need to inform you that Northern Soul has been in Germany since 1985 at least. Strong regional scenes are in and around Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg , Leipzig/Dresden and Berlin of course where I had the joy and pleasure to celebrate the 14th anniversary allnighter of my Hip City Soul Club together with DJ Butch last month. I think we play a healthy mixture of classic tunes, semiknowns and future items of interest there. Please feel free to read my article in the last two isssues of Shades Of Soul for deeper inlook in the German Scene.

The top ten plays you are referring to are from one of the two major events (not the Hip City Soul Club) and have not been changed since 1996 when the site was installed by my friend Hannes Rosenhagen, who is also one of the deejays at the Roter Salon.

He btw is inviting Terry Jones in October for a Modern Soul Allnighter in Berlin.

Thanks for your interest and time.

Marc Forrest

Social source share

used to get a fair bit of info and a few regular german soul fans passing thru and posting up here but seem to have dropped away recently for some reason

thanks for passing on, think your mucker needs to throw a date on site to avoid casual visitors like cloudnine getting false idea of just what is going on in germany

know theres a thriving scene there now, where abouts was it based in mid-80s

always after fresh stuff so feel free to throw up any other german related news and info

thanks

mike

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mikey likes funk records,NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!!  Mikey likes funk records, NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!! Mikey likes funk records,NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!!  Mikey likes funk records. NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH!!!!!! naughty.gif

Actually you have me sussed Trouble.

I am often found masquerading with my 'crew', dressed up in 'wacky' panto gear, standing in lines, and dancing exactly the same as the rest of my crew. I love it when the djs go 'waa ooohhh', and we shout 'waa ooohhh' back. Its so funky. And the whistles on gaily coloured string. How divine?

Must go, didnt kiss my Piccy of Chris Hill when I left home this morning.

And dont get us 'soul boys' mixed up with yer country and western line dancers! Oh no! We like proper music. Like that stuff you used to get in the charts. Kool and the Gang, Hot Chocolate, Yazz. Good gear!

;-)

Social source share

Well, good to hear the top-10 listings can be deemed to be past their expiration date. Somewhere else on that site I saw something like "updated 1998", which sounded odd but did not make me suspicious.

As for Paul Anka - who reworked Claude Fran§ois' "Comme d'habitude" with such huge success (no, "My way" is not originally his!): I might say I am a bit biased. I got a tip to apply for a job as music controller on a radio station for which I would have succeeded if I had thrown in Paul Anka, because that was the artist the general manager loved. I did not, thought to be hip with Tommy Dorsey & the Sentimentalists - but would I have succeeded with "I can't help loving you?" I doubt it poppickers, it should have been Diana or Lonely boy - yuk - did not even have them in my collection (bought them this year though for the equivalent of 20p.) There you have it - you might call it a personal grudge.:-)

And I'm not having his baby.

I can't think of some Otis Redding numbers that could be fit for the dancefloor - James Brown, ironically, maybe some of his eighties stuff.

As for what Johnny One Trout wrote: having been a programme controller for an underground radiostation (the one I mentioned above was definitely not underground FYI, it would just have been a bloody job) where anything that would be played on national radio would be banned immediately I cannot say I am unfamiliar with the mechanism you describe. Actually, I am surprised being lectured this way and may wonder what made you write it. Unfamiliarity with "the scene"? Once again I must tell you: there is no scene over here - and these patronising remarks will certainly not help in building one.

Social source share

Cloudnine, steal a car, drive to the coast, sell the car, buy a boat then get to "Blighty" then sell the boat, hitchike to a "Rare/Northern" night let your hair down, enjoy yourself, drink more beer than is good for you, then tell me what the hell you liked!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert