Syl Johnson Do You Know What Love Is

Bunderthollox

not it aint mate Ive had both and the demo..so Im pretty sure chalkster..unless there is a 3rd take

Special Agent 200 - Do You Know What Love Is / The Love I Found In You - 1967 (red label)

the white demo is also Special Agent 200

Special Agent 201 - Do You Know What Love Is / That Ain't Right - 1967 (Released again by same record company with different mix and yellow label - scarce)

Edited by GASHER
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

not it aint mate Ive had both and the demo..so Im pretty sure chalkster..unless there is a 3rd take

right, you've made me get up out of me chair and move :lol: just been upstairs and got Manny's 5th Guide, hope it is ok to quote this.

Demo with SP1 mix

200 Red with SP1 mix

200 Red with 200079-2 mix

201 Yellow with 200079-2 mix this has different flip as well (Things Ain't Right).

So there is a different mix on both red and yellow issue and one mix released on red and yellow.

But to confuse matters more I've seen a scan of yellow issue with SP1 mix on it.

But I am pretty sure when discussing this on Soul Talk some years ago it was said there was three different takes/intros.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i hate you chalky your always right smart arse hahaha ...didnt know bout the 200 Red with 200079-2 mix

would like to see a scan as proof hahaha..i dont think it exists..

least it got you off your arse for some exercise..

well done mate

gasher

I need a sit down now mate, I'm knackered.

I remember discussing this some time ago both on Soul talk and pretty sure on here.

Still looking for the other scans, the yellow on would seem to be the rarest, demo then red if popsike is anything to go by.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 months later...

I could be completely wrong on this but isn't it only the deadwax which tells the different mixes apart visually, not the labels?

The labels for each mix of "DYKWLI" state SP-1 and a master number 200079 whether it's 200 or 201. Don't think there is a copy with "200079-2" on the label, whether it be the red, yellow or white demo.

I had a red label copy with the 'inferior' mix.

For what it's worth I think this is the rarest variant but the version of "Do You Know What Love Is" is nowhere near as good and it isn't just the different intro, it's the entire rhythm track which has had extra layers of percussion (handclaps and tambourine) added. It plods along where the other one glides. The vocal take sounds identical on both.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!