Help For Kent Prophet & His Disciples

Hello

has anybody got a copy of the Prophet & His Disciples You Fool You Fool on Pressco that they can lend Ace / Kent for a forthcoming project?

Cds etc for anyone who can help.

Thanks

Dean

You lot wan't be happy until you've released all the 45s that many collectors have paid good money for. And don't give me that bullshit about you're doing it for the artist etc.

Social source share

You lot wan't be happy until you've released all the 45s that many collectors have paid good money for. And don't give me that bullshit about you're doing it for the artist etc.

Blimey. You're against legitimate releases then? :g:

Confused from Carshalton.......

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Happy might not be the right word, but I'd certainly sleep easier.

Perhaps you could post a list of your top items and I can see if Tony, Ady or I can get them out quickly, if not I can pass them on to Ian and he'll have a go.

Best wishes to you

Dean

Social source share

As one who doesn't have the cash to support such elitist views I

can't believe you'll get anything but support from the wider scene.

Been listening a lot to the old Kent/Stax Crossover/Let's Crossover again CD's, opening a

new page in my love of this music.

The new Masterpieces Vol 3 - a beautifully compiled piece of work.

Would have though it an honour to contribute.

Good luck & thanks!

Mick

Happy might not be the right word, but I'd certainly sleep easier.

Perhaps you could post a list of your top items and I can see if Tony, Ady or I can get them out quickly, if not I can pass them on to Ian and he'll have a go.

Best wishes to you

Dean

Edited by Mick Sway
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

:lol: :lol: Maybe this is due to the lack of sourcing a copy from Mr Prophet or other members of his Disciples. Or even the supplied copy is of a poor audio standard, hence this request, who knows.

But then a small percentage may stand in favour of your above post, as the snob critic's would view this as "seriously damaging it's obscurity values", whilst feeling threated by any over exposure credited by it's future UK release.

Fair enough reasoning. :) .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Well the guys from Salt & Pepper were pretty happy we put their 'Man Of My Word' song out to the public and they got some money for it. Now a few thousand instead of a few hundred can hear it and in better sound quality. I doubt if it being on a £6 Kent 45 will damage the value of any originals. The alternative is for collector's to keep it in their own collections until a bootlegger comes along; which usually doesn't take too long.

Ady

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest trickbag

Hello

has anybody got a copy of the Prophet & His Disciples You Fool You Fool on Pressco that they can lend Ace / Kent for a forthcoming project?

Thanks

Dean

that horse must be very high,so mind you dont fall off,and land on your face

.Hello

Thanks

Dean

that horse must be very high,so mind you dont fall off,and land on your face.

what about all that digging through all those archives,records, crates, those tedious trips to and

from various record studios,compiling lpscdssleeve notes the list is endless,

and all for our enjoyment,if i had it so would they

Gypsy Woman / Grow Closer Together / Little Young Lover / Minstrel And Queen / I'm The One Who Loves You / Sad, Sad Girl And Boy / It's All Right / Talking About My Baby / I'm So Proud / Keep On Pushing / I've Been Trying / Girl You Don't Know Me / I Made A Mistake / You Must Believe Me / Amen / People Get Ready / Woman's Got Soul / Meeting Over Yonder / I Need You / Just One Kiss From You / You've Been Cheatin' / Since I Lost The One I Love / I Can't Satisfy / You Always Hurt Me / I Can't Stay Away From You / We're A Winner / We're Rolling On / I Loved And Lost

Chuck Jackson - Good Things - CDKEN 935

Tell Him I'm Not Home / Beg Me / I Keep Forgettin' / Millionaire / Hand It Over / Two Stupid Feet / Make The Night A Little Longer / I Wake Up Crying / I'm Your Man / Castanets / Who's Gonna Pick Up The Pieces / Good Things Come to Those Who Wait / I Don't Want To Cry / The Breaking Point / Any Other Way / Any Day Now / Since I Don't Have You / They Don't Give Medals (To Yesterday's Heroes) / Where Do I Go From Here / These Chains Of Love (Are Breaking Me Down) / What's With This Loneliness / Forget About Me / I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself / I Can't Stand To See You Cry

Maxine Brown - Oh No Not My Baby - The Best Of - CDKEN 949 - deleted

Since I Found You / Gotta Find A Way / I Wonder What My Baby's Doing Tonight / Let Me Give You My Lovin' / It's Torture / One In A Million / Oh No Not My Baby / You're In Love / Anything For A Laugh / Coming Back To You / Yesterday's Kisses / Ask Me / All In My Mind / Little Girl Lost / I Want A Guarantee / The Secret Of Livin' / Baby Cakes / One Step At A Time / I've Got A Lot Of Lovin' Left In Me / I Don't Need Anything / Oh Lord What Are You Doing To Me / I Cry Alone / Funny / Misty Morning Eyes / Love That Man / Losing My Touch / Put Yourself In My Place / It's Gonna Be All Right

The Olympics - Something Old Something New - CDHP 18

Western Movies / (Baby) Hully Gully / Big Boy Pete / Shimmy Like Kate / Dance By The Light Of The Moon / The Bounce / Mine Exclusively / Baby Do The Philly Duck / The Duck / Secret Agents / We Go Together (Pretty Baby) / I'll Do A Little Bit More

For Dancers Only - CDHP 19

You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet - Mary Love / I Can Feel Your Love - Felice Taylor / Baby, Without You - Danny Monday / Your Love Has Made Me A Man - Willie Hutch / I'm So Thankful - The Ikettes / In The Sunshine - The Marvellos / Before It's Too Late - Jackie Day / I Can't Believe What You Say - Ike & Tina Turner / Gimme, Gimme - ZZ Hill / My Aching Back - Lowell Fulson / Come Back Baby - Tami Young / I've Been Taken For A Ride - The Saints / Dancing Fast, Dancing Slow - The Intentions / Baby, I'm Sorry - ZZ Hill / Let Me Know - Mary Love

For Dancers Also - CDHP 20

Lay This Burden Down - Mary Love / If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time - Vernon Garrett / You Just Cheat And Lie - Z Hill / Beauty Is Just Skin Deep - The Sweethearts / My Baby Needs Me - Yvonne Baker / Good Taste Of Love - Danny Monday / Can It Be Me - Mel Williams / Wanting You - Jimmy Bee / Take Your Shoes Off Part 2 - Booker T Averhart & The Mustangs / Hole In The Wall - Other Brothers / Talkin' Woman - Lowell Fulsom / Everybody Needs Love - Willie Gauff / Running Out - Vernon Garrett / Country Girl - The Johnny Otis Show / What Kind Of Man Are You? - Jackie Day / I'm In Your Hands - Mary Love

this work didnt take a short time to produce, and im sure it didnt earn big money,

but it keeps the wheels turning

lighten up.

ricky

Social source share

Bob

if you could ask that would be much appreciated. I've got a couple of sources in the UK to ask today.

The second post seems to be a genuine member, whose only previous attempt at sarcasm was aimed at Ady's wondering why if he's had the Hopkins Brothers for so long he only had said so when it became successful. Maybe someone at Kent has obviously upset him, perhaps he had a copy of Salt & Pepper?

Dean

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Bob

if you could ask that would be much appreciated. I've got a couple of sources in the UK to ask today.

The second post seems to be a genuine member, whose only previous attempt at sarcasm was aimed at Ady's wondering why if he's had the Hopkins Brothers for so long he only had said so when it became successful. Maybe someone at Kent has obviously upset him, perhaps he had a copy of Salt & Pepper?

Dean

Actually a genuine record collector unlike many of the compilers on this thread. Your reference to ady and the hopkins bros: actually it wasn't sarcasm, it was astonishment.

Now then, have you ever thought of buying the Prophet & his Disciples at the going rate and then using it for your project, rather than using someone elses complimentary copy? Radical proposal I know.

Social source share

Actually a genuine record collector unlike many of the compilers on this thread. Your reference to ady and the hopkins bros: actually it wasn't sarcasm, it was astonishment.

Now then, have you ever thought of buying the Prophet & his Disciples at the going rate and then using it for your project, rather than using someone elses complimentary copy? Radical proposal I know.

I don't see any compilers on here who aren't record collectors in one form or another. Who are you referring to and do you actually know any of the compilers?

Ian D :D

Social source share

I'm actually more interested in your post now that you articulated your position a little more. What does ace/kent gain by buying the actual 45? Do they gain something value-wise or morally? Is it because they're putting money in a record dealer's pocket so they're supporting the hobby? I can't think of any other reason. It sounds like you have some sort of record collector's code that they're violating. What about when they're going through master tapes, getting better quality recordings, and finding unreleased material? Isn't that superior to mastering off an old 45?

Social source share

Why would we do that. We really don't need to own a copy, and many collectors are more than happy to help us. I suppose we could buy a copy and then sell it again, but really that's a load of messing about and for what purpose other than wasting time? I'm not sure if you know this record but it comes up for sale very rarely and we could wait for ever to get an elusive copy.

It's funny that you'd come on this thread and attack Kent - who have been paying money to the Dave Hamilton estate - but avoid things such as the Panic Is On thread where an ailing soul star is being ripped off by bootleggers. Shouldn't you be on there saying 'why are you buying a bunch of bootlegs, it's undermining record collectors'?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

do you know the famous quote: " all record collectors are pretentious assholes"?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!